PDA

View Full Version : Dye for Lube

Newtire
12-28-2007, 11:56 PM
I suppose alot of you already know this or already have another favorite dye but I sent for some candle dye chips from a candle supply place and last nite melted one in with a pnaful of Felix Lube. It looks all purrtty red now. Looks alot like Lar's stuff so hoping I don't get sued! I still like your stuff Lars but ran out! Now have a couple pounds of Felix Lube to use up.

Catshooter's group buy fattest Thirty is in so those Loverinish grooves oughta suck up the lube. I get alot of miles out of one stick using it for my .32 peestol rounds.

S.R.Custom
12-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Dyeing your lube? That's hardcore, man.

357maximum
12-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Dyeing your lube? That's hardcore, man.

Dye makes telling different formulations from one another aweful easy, that is why I do it.....it be purrrrrrrrrrrdy that way to.......red lubed boolits fly faster just like cars right?

hunter64
12-29-2007, 01:25 AM
And knowing my primary colors, the last time I went into my candle making shop to pick up some more beeswax, I also purchased a little bag of each color for 1.50 each and now I can make a whole bunch of different colors for different lubes.

shooter575
12-29-2007, 01:31 AM
My daughter was making some BP lube,her own forumala.I told her to keep is seprate from mine.She used some of her lipstick left over from the DARK highschool days.Turned out green with metalic flakes in it.....It was UGLY. Think we used it up as flux.
I make my minne lube red.My Felix lube comes out dark brown[I think I heat it too much] My smoothbore lube is natural a off white.

Lloyd Smale
12-29-2007, 07:03 AM
ive used food colaring before to dye lube.

Freightman
12-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Red fast! blue dependable! black sinister! I like it.

mooman76
12-29-2007, 10:27 AM
You can use crayons for color.

mtgrs737
12-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I have been using liquid candle makers dye to dye my two-cycle fuel K-State Purple for several years. (I have some two-cycle oil that has no dye in it). The liquid dye is very concentrated and works very well just a few drops and you are good to go, you can get it at craft stores for around $3 a bottle in many colors.

Swamprat1052
12-29-2007, 02:49 PM
HaHa, I didnt know about that but I just ordered some. I think it will make the boolits so purty. Different colors for different lubes sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the tip,

Swamprat

carpetman
12-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I leave my felix lube natural and it looks like ear wax. I can tell it from other lubes as it is in a coffee can and the others are commercial and in stick form. I can tell them apart as the box they come in is marked---not that I really need to tell them apart. I admit there could be a lot of social stigma associated with using bullet lube that looks like ear wax. I was so embarassed I only wanted to go to the range at night so nobody could see the ear wax looking lube. Range not open at night. How could a guy as upstanding as felix put out a recipe for stuff that looks this bad? He shoots at the river and I'm sure picks a spot where nobody is around to see his gaudy looking lube. But the possibility of someone seeing my lube and I become socially handicapped concerned me greatly. So I had several sessions with Dr Phil. He agreed that this is an imense problem and could really scar me if not dealt with. Unless someone does a DNA test,they would not really know whose ear wax this was. If I used designer ear wax I could really be in vogue. Did you know that Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren earwax looks just like everybody elses? Actually you can use any celebrity you chose. Heck I frequently shoot John Wayne earwax lube. How can anyone make fun of a guy using John Wayne lube? Now Scrounger out there at the range using Michael Jackson earwax lube does raise some eyebrows.

Newtire
12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
My reason was actually for strictly cosmetic reasons but the ID thing is something else. I find if I don't write it down, I probably ain't going to remember what the colors stand for anyway.

At least I'm not stealing the kid's crayons or the wife's food coloring eh?

crowbeaner
12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Ear wax? Can you ear me matey? I wish you guys would stop all these new ideas. Wifey will want me to dye my wax lubes now. Just more work for me; not having to add the extra trip to the craft shop for dye. STOPPIT DO YOU EAR ME? LMAO. CB.

Newtire
12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
I feel embarrased and ashamed now. Thinking of those kids..."Daddy, I can't finish my project at school now and the teacher says the grass has to be green and I can't draw the flag now either cause the red & blue crayons are missing and I can't get into college...on & on."

Winger Ed.
12-30-2007, 08:59 PM
. I admit there could be a lot of social stigma associated with using bullet lube that looks like ear wax. .

Oh no,,,,, Hold your head high!
You're re-cycling. And its good for the country too.
Heck, I use belly button lint for a filler in reduced loads myself.

When I run out of ear wax for lube, I just reach and get the wife's poodle.
You can 'express' this goo from some glands in their 'transom'.
It stinks, but seems to work well, and hey--- its free too.

Ricochet
12-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Just twirl your boolits in your ears before you load them. Saves all this nonsense of cooking up lubes. And the smoke will quickly clear the range, letting you enjoy quality shooting time alone.

Swamprat1052
12-30-2007, 09:39 PM
I wont use ear wax, if I did I wouldn't be able to use not hearing my wife as an excuse. She's always telling me I need to clean out my ears, I just holler HUH, I cant hear ya.

I still like the idea of purty lube. Maybe I've been in CA too long.

Swamprat

GLynn41
12-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Caryola Crayons for colors-- all the way