PDA

View Full Version : W'thby 303-06 will shoot !!

milkman
09-06-2005, 07:35 AM
I didn't have to work yesterday, so I started playin with the darn oversize weatherby.(thanks for all the posts on slugging barrels) I have a 309-160 Lee mould that drops between .311 and .312 (thanks for the posts on Leementing) I wanted to shoot it unsized but with a gas check. ( thanks for all the posts on correct bullet to bore diameter ) All I have is a Lee push through sizer so I slowly ran the bullet and check into the sizer base first using a wooden dowell to tap it back out till I found the spot where the check was attatched firmly but the boolit wasn't touched, then made a witness mark on the dowell and left it in the sizer and gc'ed the rest of the bullets. Next I checked the inside diameter of a fired case to see if the chamber would take the large bullet (thanks 45 2.1) , hand lubed with my first batch of fwfl (thanks Felix) and loaded the bullets (thanks for the threads on bullet hardness and tempering) which were heat treated ww, to touch the lands. (thanks for the posts on OAL) I loaded 5 with 10 grains Unique, 5 with 14 grains Herco and 5 with 35 grains IMR7383. I then inked the neck on one and tried it in the chamber to make sure it wasn't too tight. (thanks again Felix) At 50 Yd all three loadings grouped from 1" to 1 1/2"
It ain't all in the same hole but BOY-HOWDY does it ever look better than it did. A little more playing and I may have a keeper. I have a good selection of bullets on the way (thanks David R) and will see how they perform.

I could have done the same thing without all the great posts, advice and tips. YEAH, IN BOUT A HUNNERT YEARS milkman

David R
09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
I tried about 5 years ago to get my 1917 enfield to shoot lead. The only mold I had at the time was a 311644 bore rider. I didn't know it but the nose it far too small for that rifle. I didn't even know or realize it had a 2 groove barrel. The boolits were keyholing at 50 yards, so I thought "too slow add more powder". I never did get it to shoot until I joined this board. Yesterday I shot an 8" group.................At 200 yards with 7 clustering into 5".

It can be done. Your boolits will be sent out tomorrw, I had to pick up some gas checks today. I will run them through a .312 sizer, but measure them because some drop at .310. See what shoots.

You are a true CB shooter. You took a no shooter and made it perform. Most do it here with milsurp rifles, you did it with a weatherby.

I have a 22-250 that would not shoot lead. The folks here helped me out and now it shoots 1" @ 100 yards at Twenty Seven Hundred feet per second with out leading.

Life is good!
David

1Shirt
09-09-2005, 10:01 AM
David R, What is your secret to sucess with your 22-250? What bullet, what size, what powder, what primer, what seating depth, what,what,what. You have peaked my interest.
1Shirt

David R
09-09-2005, 08:35 PM
225646 57 grain as it drops from the mold Lyman Bore Rider, sized to 225, of pure linotype. Lubed with LAR45's red stuff (50/50 with carnuba), 18 grains weighed SR4759, OAL 2.340" CCI LR primer.

Boolits weighed to + or - .3 grains.

No secret, I just got lucky. I hope to shoot it Sunday in a 300 yard Prone match. Dunno what it will do, but I have shot it at 200 with good luck. From a 100 yard zero, it drops 8" @ 200. This is in a remington 700 with the big heavy free floated barrel, massaged trigger by me, and a laminated stock.

Have fun!