PDA

View Full Version : bullet lube and gas checks

stepdonn
03-25-2014, 11:36 AM
hope this is the place to ask this I am new to casing bullets and lubes and reloading. I'am planning on pan lubing before I size and gas check my bullets .Is there any reason that I can not pan lube before I install gas checks and size using a lyman 450 to do the work just not going to use the lube from the lyman 450 Just would like to know it the lube would interfere with the gas check insulation

mdi
03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
I do some gas checked bullets in pan lube, but I install the checks first, on a clean shank. I haven't tried to lube first, seems to be less messy with checks on first, and checks will stay in place during installation...

dondiego
03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Just curious as to why you would pan lube when you have a Lyman 450 which can seat check, size, and lube all in one operation??

Big Boomer
03-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately, when you pan lube, the lube will stick to that area where the gas check will be installed and to do it that way is somewhat messy. Best to install the gas check before pan lubing. However, if you are going to use a lube/sizer anyway, why not just put the gas check on the base of the boolits before you run the boolits into the sizer, use the Lyman 450 to lube the boolits and eliminate the pan lubing altogether? Is your Lyman 450 functional? I still have a lot to learn, but your approach requires you to do the same thing twice. Big Boomer

quilbilly
03-25-2014, 01:00 PM
In my experience, I have found that I can pan lube then gas check if they are Hornady checks but with Lyman checks I have to put them on first then pan lube.

stepdonn
03-25-2014, 03:48 PM
just wanted to use the lyman for seating gas checks and sizing bullets but the die sizer need lube before use as not to get fouled with lead

Love Life
03-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Coat a bullet with vaseling and run it through the sizer die. BAMCIS!! Your die is now lubed enough to start lubing normally although it will only be 1 boolit unlubed even if you started out not using a vaseline greased bullet.

You are seriously overthinking that whole leading up the die thing.

Larry Gibson
03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
just wanted to use the lyman for seating gas checks and sizing bullets but the die sizer need lube before use as not to get fouled with lead

Unless there is a lube in the 450 you don't want to use (?) it is a little mind boggling why you want to pan lube when the 450 is supposed to lube the bullets too.

Larry Gibson

fa38
03-26-2014, 04:01 PM
You could try it both ways to see which works for you.
Is the lube in the sizer not suitable for your intended purpose?

As a slight aside the lube on a bullet from pan lubing is harder and less messy than the same lube when it is extruded through a lube sizer die.

I was told the reason was that the extrusion process breaks down the bond between the molecules. Or something to that effect.

Running pan lubed bullets thru a lube sizer may soften the lube a bit.

I would rather lube with a lube sizer but sometimes pan lube for breech seating bullets during hot weather.

gwpercle
03-26-2014, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=stepdonn;2703274]just wanted to use the lyman for seating gas checks and sizing bullets but the die sizer need lube before use as not to get fouled with lead[/QUOTE
stepdonn,
I started out pan lubing too... it is messy, especially at first. I would get melted lube on me, the floor , table top, shirt , pants, the cat...everywhere. I got fed up with the mess and bought a Lyman 450. The best money I ever spent. Seat the check , size and lube with one stroke of the handle. If you got one , drop in a stick of lube and don't give pan lubing a second thought. Well, the truth is , there are times when pan lubing is useful, such as as cast bullets with no sizing or gas check....but I haven't pan lubed anything in decades.
Gary

Old School Big Bore
03-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Ditto what Gary said. If you don't want to buy or mold sticks just pour your lube in the reservoir. Don't worry about leading the sizer die unless you can work it at over 2000 fps!

MT Chambers
03-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Sumpin wrong here, are you trying to do it the most cumbersome, messy, slowest, way possible even though you have the Lyman machine?
I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but you need to go back to start: Sizing and lubing 101.

runfiverun
03-26-2014, 07:38 PM
I have 3 stars and I still tumble/dip/pan lube some boolits before running them through the sizer.
it's all about what the boolit needs.
I also size/check some of them base first, then flip them over and run them through the next sizer over to lube them.