PDA

View Full Version : Lead Contamination?

condorjohn
03-24-2014, 08:04 PM
100424What do you think about this. It was posted on some un-developed land. About 6 miles
west of Eugene, OR. Think they're trying scare people

jcwit
03-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Total BS

historicfirearms
03-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Looks like a good place to go lead mining. Add to the stash!

DCM
03-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Looks like a good place to go lead mining. Add to the stash!

Big +1 on that!

DLCTEX
03-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Unless there has been mining there in the past it is doubtful.

wv109323
03-24-2014, 10:11 PM
That's a nice sign not to have any bullet holes through it. Naturally lead comes from the ground. Lead ore is mined and then separated. So lead in or on the ground is natural. There is a small chance that you can ingest,inhale enough lead in open air to hurt you. Lead almost has to be a vapor to get into the human body. Large particles of lead will not dissolve into the water. There are lead cannon balls in the ocean that are centuries old without any reduction in their size.

MaryB
03-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Could have been a lead smelter there, or an old refinery that made leaded gas, or a bunch of other reasons that contaminated the dirt with lead, probably in an oxide form that IS hazardous.

crazy mark
03-24-2014, 10:40 PM
I can't remember anything being there. Maybe somebody dumped their used and cracked car batteries. Or a house was there that had lead based paint and nobody cared about the lead when it was torn down. The EPA and LRAPA are pains in the rear in lane county.

NewbieDave007
03-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Old military range?

Blacksmith
03-24-2014, 11:03 PM
I thought the thread was going to be about someone who got some zinc wheel weights mixed in with their melt.

leeggen
03-25-2014, 12:13 AM
I, myself believe it is a notice that tresspassers will get some lead in some form as in BANG! Must be working no one has even shot the sign yet.
CD

gbrown
03-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Think about it. How many COWW's have been ground into powder on the interstates? If I was concerned about lead contamination, it would be along side our IH system and the Federal/State roads that have been there since the 30s and 40s. As wv109323 says, it's naturally occurring, Galena, a lead ore, is in the ground in various States and can be found very near or on the surface. Some of it was used by native Americans and mountain men/frontiersmen to melt down into round ball for musket/rifle. Has to be some man-made compound that is hazardous.

fatelk
03-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Pretty sure post #11 has it right. I've never heard of any kind of mining or refining around there. I know there was some environmentalist gripes about lead in the ground at the Isaac Walton range south of town, but nothing west.

The sign sure looks like something someone made (skull and crossbones - scary!), not anything official government or corporate. Nobody here going to fess up?

Bad Water Bill
03-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Very professionally made sign to bad they did not leave a space for the property owners signature.

Many years ago I was told by land owners in Wi that if they posted their property they had to sign their name or the property was NOT legally posted.

When the signature could no longer be read the sign had to be replaced.

Since it makes 0 reference to any legal power IE township,village etc take it home.

Rattlesnake Charlie
03-25-2014, 04:17 AM
A little Googling turned up the following, lead contamination from an abandoned mill site and a shooting range.
http://projects.registerguard.com/web/newslocalnews/28704685-41/creek-deq-lost-site-eugene.html.csp

w5pv
03-25-2014, 08:12 AM
My pawinlaw toted a big part of a number 6 shot load,that he acciendently shot himselt with,for around 50 years or better with out ever been told that he had lead poison and they ran plenty of test on him from other health issues

shooterg
03-25-2014, 09:54 AM
If that sign keeps trespassers out, I may get some !

SSGOldfart
03-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Maybe a old landfill when they dumped paint and old batteries??

crazy mark
03-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Greenhill road is less than 6 miles west of Eugene. Maybe 1 mile from the city limits at the most.

Cmm_3940
03-25-2014, 11:01 AM

condorjohn
03-25-2014, 11:41 AM
100459100460100459Mark, I was thinking 6 miles from downtown. Here's the rest.

Just Duke
03-25-2014, 02:31 PM
To those not aware the Eugene area is hippy/greenie world capitol and is only second to Thanfransico Calfornia. They have incubation chambers there that greenie spawn hatch.
Hippy Central is also the lesbo and I'm talking corn feed, knuckle dragging, voice so husky it could pull a dog sled lesbo capital of the world and they pride themselves on it.
My neighbor prides himself he went to college there with all his presidential bumper stickers and campaign posters on his garage.
Now don't get me wrong, when you get out of the liberal cities the rural folks are just fine. I just see it as the rural folks need somewhere to send/dump their undesirable excrement so it doesn't contaminate the gene pool and the rest of the state of OR. ;)
Say tell me, What are they doing with Civil Way Battle Fields these days? Surely they didn't make them shoot Zinc bullets?

gbrown
03-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Say tell me, What are they doing with Civil Way Battle Fields these days? Surely they didn't make them shoot Zinc bullets?

Exactly. I understand that behind the butts at Camp Perry is Lake Erie. Out there some distance is a long mound (3-6 feet high) of projectiles from the shooting events. Federal government is content with it as long as it is not disturbed--hmmmm. How long have they been shooting at Camp Perry?

fatelk
03-25-2014, 09:26 PM
From the article:

Davidson would also sell Lost Creek an adjacent roughly seven acres of marshy land that from the 1930s to the 1960s was used by a gun club as a firing range.

The shooting left the parcel severely contaminated with lead, a hazardous pollutant, according to the consultant’s report. Under the proposed deal with the DEQ, Lost Creek would put up warning signs around the former firing range, cautioning about the lead pollution and prohibiting access. The lead appears to be limited to the site, Brown said.

One factor keeping the dioxin and lead on site is a thick layer of clay in the soil that is blocking the pollutants from seeping into the groundwater, the consultant said.

Sensitive plant species

The gun club site is a valuable wetlands with sensitive plant species, and attempting to dig up the lead would harm those plants, Brown said.

“Ordinarily, when we have a level of lead like this, the remedy is soil removal. In this case, we have really high-quality wetlands, so there is harm in trying to do a cleanup,” he said.

The marshy site is home to the Willamette Valley daisy, which is on the federal endangered species list, as well as the shaggy horkelia and the white-topped aster, two species of federal concern, according to the DEQ.

Very interesting. I know the area, but hadn't heard of this before. If lead contamination from target shooting is considered such a seriously harmful, toxic pollutant, one can sure see what lies in the future for target shooting and hunting on public land, or any land for that matter.

Blacksmith
03-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Very professionally made sign to bad they did not leave a space for the property owners signature.

Many years ago I was told by land owners in Wi that if they posted their property they had to sign their name or the property was NOT legally posted.

When the signature could no longer be read the sign had to be replaced.

Since it makes 0 reference to any legal power IE township,village etc take it home.

Depends on local law. Here blue paint strips on trees are legal trespass posting, as long as they are the right size and height above ground a tree with a blue stripe means the same thing as a sign with words. I'll bet the liberal tree hugers don't know it and will be surprised when they get a trespass ticket.

MaryB
03-26-2014, 01:45 AM
Lead in non-oxide form is not hazardous, shows how stupid the EPA is getting about things. Short of a bird eating it no real issue with it, no different than a lead mine.

Just Duke
03-26-2014, 01:50 AM
Lead in non-oxide form is not hazardous, shows how stupid the EPA is getting about things. Short of a bird eating it no real issue with it, no different than a lead mine.

I have shot many a bird with lead shot. Am I toxic. lol

fixit
03-26-2014, 01:52 AM
interesting property of lead. when left undisturbed in an exposed location, elemental lead self-encapsulates due to oxidization ,and becomes amazingly inert! as we all know, the push to "protect" the environment from lead, ain't about the environment, it's about the guns. backdoor ban by means of limiting ammo!!!

Handloader109
03-26-2014, 05:30 AM
BOY YOU GUYS ARE NOT VERY OBSERVANT!
Look at small print and
Look at the bottom line of text on the sign.

Tresspassers will receive and

2700fps...... Owner is warning about bullet poisoning O:-)

Bad Water Bill
03-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Who is not observant?

Please look at post #1 where this discussion started.

Yes we do have fun here some times but the O P still stands

375RUGER
03-26-2014, 09:21 AM
BOY YOU GUYS ARE NOT VERY OBSERVANT!
Look at small print and
Look at the bottom line of text on the sign.

Tresspassers will receive and

2700fps...... Owner is warning about bullet poisoning O:-)

You've just been photoshopped.

Blacksmith
03-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Who is not observant?

Please look at post #1 where this discussion started.

Yes we do have fun here some times but the O P still stands

Yea around here you better read the entire thread.:hijack:

crazy mark
03-26-2014, 09:51 PM
The owners that are mining Parvin Butte. Looks like a good way to keep trespassers out like the local environmental anti progress crowd.

6.5 swede
03-26-2014, 10:08 PM
looks like you will get shot for trespassing

akajun
03-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Yes thats true, but taking a boat into the impact area can lead to a large fine and or boat confiscation from what Ive been told by the locals.

a.squibload
04-01-2014, 07:13 AM
So to keep the purty flahrs from gettin stepped on they will leave the
horrible nasty boolits in the ground?
More like they don't want boolit casters to get the lead (which would also
reduce the amount of evil lead in the area).

'Corse I could be biased on the issue...

Roosters
04-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Meanwhile in Montana EPA, FBI Raid USA Brass

http://www.ktvq.com/news/agents-raid-bozeman-company-investigate-alleged-environmental-violations/

Won’t be long and you will need to put your fired brass in a biohazard waste container and EPA agents in Tyvek suits will pick it up. :shock: