PDA

View Full Version : Why are people stupid?

novalty
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Found a person advertising lead divers weights for sale. So I emailed to see what they wanted to sell them for. Guy responds back with one word email "cash." So I ask how much, he then responds that as scuba weights they are worth more than scrap, and then references what some divers weights go for. Then he proceeds to say he already got price from scrap yard, and if he doesn't get a reasoable offer he'll just scrap it all in one trip. He ends his email with "The question is, does anyone want to step up and pay what it is worth? Do you?"

Geeze, just wanted to know how much he wanted for it. He must have a number in mind, if he is willing to accept the scrap price.

Springfield
03-24-2014, 05:08 PM
I have a running ad on Craig's list for lead wanted. I had one lady get upset with me when I asked what kind of lead she had as some types/sizes were worth more to me than others. She said I was stupid, lead is lead and I should have a standard price! And then refused to tell me what she had.

Trey45
03-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Sounds like he needs a lesson.

novalty
03-24-2014, 05:12 PM
The last big haul of lead I got was from a long time mechanic, had several jugs labeled "all lead." I pulled about 20 pounds of zinc and steel weights out of those. So even people that you think would know what-is-what, don't always. I paid what the salvage yard would have so it didn't bother me.

tunnug
03-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Sounds like the typical dumbness that wants to get as much as possible from something without being held to a price, we have that a lot on our online classifieds where they post something for sale and say send me an offer, if it's too low I'll ignore your e-mail, so you sit there wondering if they got the message.

oldred
03-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Personally I simply don't respond to ads that don't list a price and I know several other people who do the same, if the seller isn't willing to state his/her asking price in the ad something is usually amiss.

dk17hmr
03-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Always thought if you need to ask the price they want to much....... unless it is something I really really want I don't bother asking.

stephenj
03-24-2014, 05:38 PM
The problem with idiots isnt so much that they are an idiot .
But being an idiot they dont know that they are an idiot .

Wisdom brought to you buy someone who might be an idiot

sidecarmike
03-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Always thought if you need to ask the price they want to much....... unless it is something I really really want I don't bother asking.Same here. Doesn't matter if it's buying bullets, cars, trucks or houses. If you aren't willing to list a price, you obviously don't really want to sell.

fryboy
03-24-2014, 06:21 PM
but but but he's looking for a buyer ( and a seller ...[sigh] )

as to why are people stupid ....most arent ... they just have one or two bright subjects and are ignorant on the rest is my best guess [shrugz]

Stonecrusher
03-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Dilbert says it is due to slow learners mating for many generations.

Nicholas
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Let the truly innocent (not stupid at some point) throw the first stone.

Sensai
03-24-2014, 07:00 PM
I've noticed that the older I get the more stupid people I notice. They may not really be stupid, just acting that way. If that's the case, I really have to congratulate them on their superb acting abilities!

sidecarmike
03-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Personally, I'm always reminded of a buddy who was asking $30,000 for a well worn ten year old Harley; "But honey, I'm trying to sell it. People just aren't buying." :)

DHurtig
03-24-2014, 07:08 PM
The second line in my signature line pretty well sums it up.

fatnhappy
03-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Stupid people?
it should be self explanatory

bangerjim
03-24-2014, 07:49 PM
"ignorance is skin deep.........stupidity goes clear to the bone!"

bangerjim

montana_charlie
03-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Let the truly innocent (not stupid at some point) throw the first stone.
I'm certain that we have much to learn from you ...

Garyshome
03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
This is really good stuff...
The problem with idiots isn't so much that they are an idiot .
But being an idiot they don't know that they are an idiot .

Wisdom brought to you buy someone who might be an idiot

Blammer
03-24-2014, 08:40 PM
I usually say, " I'll buy but the price has to be right and I can see you're asking too much" (this is for those with no posted price. :) )

novalty
03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Recent words of wisdom from "seller"

"The specialty stuff that is usable is going to be a premium as it is not scrap. Its kind of like copper, to scrap out unused 1/2" pipe for scrap weight when its selling at 4 times that as copper tubing wouldn't make sense. We would all just go to home depot straight to the scrap yard and retire. Some items will have more value then the scrap price. Some will not, I agree.

Some of it is going to have more then scrap value to divers, the blocks, yes, that will be scrap at scrap price."

This follows his email where he stated, "I called the scrap yard so I know what the easy price is but since I have a little aluminium, I'll do it all in one trip if nobody wants the weights at a reasonable offer."

Still no mention of a price he wants for it.

rockrat
03-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Offer him scrap price plus ten cents. Here, at least, that would be a great price since scrap is ten cents and if you buy it, its a dollar a pound.

RP
03-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Try how far is the scrape yard from you and how much gas he will burn to get there also note his time lost to sell the lead. After some quick number crunching and fast talking tell him you pick the lead up and since it is a hazardous material and also heavy you would be willing to give him X amount. Take the time to also point out that all this thinking may cause him or her a head ache and there was not need to waste to much of there time thinking about it since using that much grey matter may cause them to forget to breath. More then one way to talk to those kind of people. Or just walk away wondering why OSHA was put into place since some people just do not need to reproduce.

imashooter2
03-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Seems like the smart play would be to quit emailing with the guy... :kidding:

Col4570
03-25-2014, 02:16 AM
A friend sent for some reclaimed Lead Shot that was advertised on E Bay UK.He paid the current scrap price plus postage and packaging.When the parcel arrived he eagerly tore it open to find mostly gravel with a little amount of shot amongst it.After screening he found that he had recovered about 20% of the total bulk he had paid for.It goes to show that some bargains are not what they seem.

Thin Man
03-25-2014, 03:44 AM
I watched a fellow once and could literally see the stoopid ooze out of him...

Thin Man

novalty
03-25-2014, 05:50 AM
I watched a fellow once and could literally see the stoopid ooze out of him...

Thin Man

Aha I knew it. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I knew someone was watching me.

quack1
03-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Whenever I answer an ad for a gun or gun related stuff and I get the "I don't really know what this is worth.. etc." line of ****, I come back with "It's worth $5 to me" and hold out a $5 bill. Surprisingly, once in a while it works, and they say OK, but mostly they come up with a price pretty quick.

SSGOldfart
03-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Try how far is the scrape yard from you and how much gas he will burn to get there also note his time lost to sell the lead. After some quick number crunching and fast talking tell him you pick the lead up and since it is a hazardous material and also heavy you would be willing to give him X amount. Take the time to also point out that all this thinking may cause him or her a head ache and there was not need to waste to much of there time thinking about it since using that much grey matter may cause them to forget to breath. More then one way to talk to those kind of people. Or just walk away wondering why OSHA was put into place since some people just do not need to reproduce.

RP have you been rolling down stairs again???

garym1a2
03-25-2014, 08:10 AM
If they have no price than "low ball" them. Once you give them a price they will call you stupid and offer that its worth 5x that.

Petrol & Powder
03-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Dilbert says it is due to slow learners mating for many generations.

/\ I think the dull ones are attracted to one another.:razz:

The true price of something is never the asking price. The value is what someone else is willing to pay for it. The free market will sort it out in the end.

bob208
03-25-2014, 09:17 AM
I too ran a add on craigslist buying lead. I was paying 15 cents over scrap. would pick it up. some of the replies I got. they must have thought they had gold and silver not lead.

sidecarmike
03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm surprised your ads don't get flagged. Up here advertising a garage sale with Sporting Goods is enough to get flagged. I have a real problem buying lead. Most places, including salvage yards, say it's "hazardous waste" and against the law to resell to anyone without a proper permit.

Springfield
03-27-2014, 12:10 PM
I don't have salvage yards calling me, it all private citizens. If they thought it was illegal they wouldn't call,so the ad itself is self screening. And I post a price range so that I don't get any outrageously priced callers. And since they are calling me they are generally pretty motivated to sell.

DHurtig
03-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/1148737_10152162363252792_55074042_n_zpsfa94d407.j pg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/c_latrans/media/1148737_10152162363252792_55074042_n_zpsfa94d407.j pg.html)

badge176
03-28-2014, 03:31 PM
The prevelance of "STUPID" is the fault of the modern emergency medicine which helps avert what would otherwise be "Darwinian" mistakes from cleaning the gene pool...

MaryB
03-28-2014, 11:35 PM
I have some leftover vinyl siding listed on craigslist, $300 for $600 worth of materials. Guy was interested but he didn't need all the corners so he thought it was to much. He was paying for 3/4 of the siding at that price, 1/4 of it free, corners free, trim free... he decided that Menards was cheaper for the same stuff. That one had me shaking my head

OBIII
03-29-2014, 01:37 AM
How about this one? This is a synopsis of a PM type conversation I had on another forum with a gentleman:

I am interested in the 7.62 x 54r ammo for 120.00. I am a couple of hours east of Pittsburgh, but am willing to drive a couple of hours to meet you. I also have a friend in Pittsburgh that may be willing to help me out. Either way, I can pay cash or USPS MO, or Paypal. Let me know. My email is obayliss@mindspring.com and my phone number is 301-478-3138. Thanks for your consideration.

OB[/QUOTE]

Hey, if you still WTB I'm still selling it. let me know and I will send you my address.
-Delta[/QUOTE]

"WTS 7.62x54r ammo, silver tip FMJ steel core. 800 rounds, with is you'll get russian surplus ammo pouches.
asking price is 120$

I will be out of town for a few weeks, so if you are interested expect a delay in response time."
-delta[/Quote]

Delta,
Yes, I am still interested. A couple of questions though. Why so inexpensive?
How do we work out pickup/exchange?
You are about 3 1/2 hours from me, so I could arrange to meet you somewhere along the way, or you could ship UPS ground ORM-D, but I have no idea what that would cost. Anyway, please let me know.
Thanks
OB[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, my license plates got suspended and the govt never told me about it and so I cannot meet you half way, if i could i would. I bought it all for 140$ so I figure anything over that is probably a rip off as it is only russian surplus.[/QUOTE]

Can you ship it??
OB[/QUOTE]

I could but you'd be paying for it.[/QUOTE]

I fully expected to. Please check as to the cost to ship to:

32915 National Pike, NE
Little Orleans, MD. 21766

Let me know.
Thanks
OB[/QUOTE]

as with all online transactions and even in-store transactions money first. I won't ship anything without it first being paid for.sorry my first rule online is DTA.
-Delta[/QUOTE]

Really? How can I send you money when I don't know what the shipping cost will be. All I asked you to do is find out how much it would cost to ship, since you have it, can figure out how much it weighs, and you know your zip code. I don't know any of those things. 30.00 for shipping I could handle. 100.00 forget it. Still waiting.
OB

I ceased worrying about it at that point. :)

OB