PDA

View Full Version : I have become Death, the Creator of Boolits.

Cloudwraith
03-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Ok, so Oppenheimer I'm not, however I have created my very first boolits!

COWW mixed with an extra 2% pewter for tin. Lee TL356-124-2R 9mm mold. I used a PID controller on my Lee Pro 4-20 pot. I culled the first 40% as my mold wasn't getting up to temp (it was 30 degrees out) and I didn't preheat it. I have a hot plate on order to help with that.

The PID must have really helped with consistency. I kept the alloy at about 700 with the PID keeping it within +- 5 degrees. The weight was a consistent 126.3 +- .2 grains and the diameter was .357-.358.

Once I got "into the zone" the bullets were dropping nice and easy. I did not smoke or apply a pre-release to the Lee mold but I did clean it with Mineral Spirts and lube with the Carquest AC lubricant recommend in the mold forum section. I didn't have much of a sticking issue. I guess I got a good clean mold from Lee with no burrs.

I need to work on my pour technique and maybe a more ergonomic casting setup with regards to pot height to back stooping ratio :).

Anyhow, here they are:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1264960/Pics/9mmAll.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1264960/Pics/9mmClose.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1264960/Pics/9mmFront.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1264960/Pics/9mmRear.jpg

Next step is to figure out my best lubing method. I think I'll try the Alox tumble initially and I've already started planning for powder coating.

historicfirearms
03-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Try the tumble lube on those little "destroyer of worlds".

Nice job getting them to fall into formation as well!

Don Purcell
03-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Nothing wrong with those! Quoting Oppenheimer, obviously another brainiac on Cast Boolits, well done.

fastfire
03-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Powder coat!

Pb2au
03-24-2014, 01:15 PM
From the Bhagvad Gita (Hindu scripture)

Then Krishna said: “I am death, the destroyer of worlds, fully developed, and I am now active about the overthrow of the worlds. Even without you, the warriors standing in the adverse hosts shall cease to be. Therefore, be up ; obtain glory, and, vanquishing your foes, enjoy a prosperous kingdom. All these have been already killed by me. Be only the instrument. Drona and Bhishma and other valiant warriors whom I have killed do you kill. Be not alarmed. Do fight, and in the battle you will conquer your foes."

A very powerful verse!
Just a bit of history for the masses.

And nice looking bullets! It looks like you are well on your way!

captaint
03-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Congrats Cloudwraith. My first ones sure didn't look like yours. Great job. Try cutting the Alox with some mineral spirits, at least. It'll dry quicker. Good job !! Mike

Walter Laich
03-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Might consider a Lee push through sizer along with powder coating

Cloudwraith
03-24-2014, 01:42 PM
From the Bhagvad Gita (Hindu scripture)

I know that Oppenheimer was translating from the Bhagvad Gita when he made that quote just as I understand that most relate to Oppenheimer when they hear that phrase.

Thanks for the comments all. What I didn't show was the utter ridiculousness that was the first 40% that got remelted, lol.

Cloudwraith
03-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Might consider a Lee push through sizer along with powder coating

Perfect lead-in to my next question. My bore slugs at .355. Do I resize the .357 down to .356 or use as is? I'm assuming the .358's will all need resized down to .356 anyway.

MBTcustom
03-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Perfect lead-in to my next question. My bore slugs at .355. Do I resize the .357 down to .356 or use as is? I'm assuming the .358's will all need resized down to .356 anyway.

I would try them as is and see if they function. If they function, see if they lead, if they shoot clean, see how they group. If they group at 10, see what they do at 20 etc etc etc.
Change only one thing at a time. Work through methodically.

JimA
03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Those tumble lube boolits should shoot fine as is, if the rounds will chamber in your pistol. My 9mm pistols will all shoot .358 just fine. If you can, try 45-45-10. You can make it yourself or buy it from White Label Lubes. It dries much faster than straight Lee Liquid Alox and is less messy for me at least.

runfiverun
03-24-2014, 05:10 PM
how I figure it out.

take a boolit, seat it in a case.
drop it in the gun.
work on the length a click or two if the boolit is hitting the rifling.
and drop it in again.

then feed it from the magazine....
make a couple of real ones and shoot them.

blikseme300
03-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Those tumble lube boolits should shoot fine as is, if the rounds will chamber in your pistol. My 9mm pistols will all shoot .358 just fine. If you can, try 45-45-10. You can make it yourself or buy it from White Label Lubes. It dries much faster than straight Lee Liquid Alox and is less messy for me at least.

I would recommend 45-45-10 as well. Way simpler and cheaper than PC and simply works.

zuke
03-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Try a handful without sizing and see what happen's.That's how LEE boolit's were designed, tumble lube and shoot.

Cloudwraith
03-26-2014, 08:43 AM
I would recommend 45-45-10 as well. Way simpler and cheaper than PC and simply works.

Well I have a bunch of LLA from the sizing dies I ordered and I already have mineral spirits. Just need to go find some Johnson's Paste Wax. Thanks for the tip.

rintinglen
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
how I figure it out.

take a boolit, seat it in a case.
drop it in the gun.
work on the length a click or two if the boolit is hitting the rifling.
and drop it in again.

then feed it from the magazine....
make a couple of real ones and shoot them.

Good advice there!
Don't get carried away and load a pile of ammo. I was so impressed with my success at casting up a bunch of 95 grain boolits one time that I went and loaded up about 500 rounds, using a suggested start load. Said load would not cycle the gun. I had a magazine-fed single shot S&W. These days,in non-magnum pistols, I load 5 ea of the start load, then up .2 grains, then up .2 more. I never load top end before I have tested the lower loads. Once I know they'll work, I pick out the load whose group shows the most promise, then load up 15 of those, then 15 .1 grain lighter, and 15 .1 grains heavier. In a magnum, I do much the same thing, but I generally go up .5 grains at a time.

gwpercle
03-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Sounds like you're hooked....welcome to the addiction. I have always found the creating of boolits from old dirty wheel-weights and scrap lead and bar solder to be the most rewarding part of reloading. I actually enjoy sitting out there casting.
Looks like you are off to a fine start, those look realy good!
Gary

histed
03-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Thrilling, ain't it? Just started myself this winter. Wondering how those 124 TL shoot, since I'm pretty sure I have the same mold in 6 cavity, but haven't used that one yet. Been casting 158s for the .38s. Take the advice here - I lubed my first ones with Alox only and they shot fine, but took forever to dry. Around here, Lowes and WalMart have huge tins of JPW very reasonable. Enjoy. The more experienced guys here claim that you know you're hopelessly addicted when you start scanning parking lots for lost wheel weights. I've arrived.;)

Cloudwraith
03-27-2014, 08:15 AM
The more experienced guys here claim that you know you're hopelessly addicted when you start scanning parking lots for lost wheel weights.

LOl, it hasn't gotten that bad yet. I do, however, look for all the tire shops I can. I have a buddy who works at Autozone and he has a bunch of contacts to get us wheel weights.

vernb
03-27-2014, 09:27 AM
I have never experienced any problems with lee liquid alox. I tumble before I head for bed. And I load them after work. I wonder if some people are using to much lube

JimA
03-28-2014, 05:47 AM
I have never experienced any problems with lee liquid alox. I tumble before I head for bed. And I load them after work. I wonder if some people are using to much lube

Yup...That's the biggest problem people have with LL Alox. The more you tumble lube the less you find you really need. If you drop a big dollop of LLA in with a few shiny new boolits it will never seem to dry. I use 45-45-10 now and still have a hard time believing how little is required.

mikeym1a
03-28-2014, 06:11 AM

Really nice looking boolits. I suggest you lube and try the boolits as is, and see how they fly. My first did not look so good. But they were Lee micro-groove, and I alox lubed them, and shot them as was. I've never had any problems. The mold box said they seldom needed resizing, and I took them at their word. I have had no leading, and they hit what I point them at. Now, I am a bit fussier with my rifle boolits. But that's another story. Cheers! mikey

histed
03-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Hummmm, maybe that IS my problem. Too much lube. Live and learn

harvester
03-29-2014, 03:37 PM
You are going to like what the hot plate does for improving consistency and quality of boolits.

pls1911
04-06-2014, 10:05 AM
You might consider trying the LLA/JPW lube as well.... it works well for most pistol applications.

Cloudwraith
04-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Made my first batch of Recluse's 45/45/10 over the weekend. Coated 100 bullets with very little of it, then sized to .356 (.355 barrel) and coated again lightly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1264960/pics/cb/Lubed%20Boolits.jpg

dondiego
04-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Looks like a lot of lube to me.

Cloudwraith
04-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Looks like a lot of lube to me.

Dang it, and I tried to watch how much I used (literally like 8 drops each time). I haven't loaded them or tried shooting yet. Should I wipe some off?

FredBuddy
04-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Shoot 'em and see. Mine look worse and shoot fine.

Greetings from Knox County.

jonp
04-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Dang it, and I tried to watch how much I used (literally like 8 drops each time). I haven't loaded them or tried shooting yet. Should I wipe some off?

Only if they are sticky i think. Someone else with much more experienve will chime in im sure. I made up some 45/45/10 but have not had a chance to use it yet

Cloudwraith
04-07-2014, 06:32 PM
They are definitely NOT sticky.

Old School Big Bore
04-08-2014, 11:58 AM
You'll want to wipe the bases to prevent powder contamination. I weigh my 'grease towel' down with ingots and just grab the boolits by the nose and either drag or auger them on the towel, then into the box. Welcome and good luck.
Ed

Maximumbob54
04-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Just know that you only need a hint of brown build up on them. If they look like they are varnished then you used too much. If you do get leading with these then skip the sizing next time and load them as cast. See if that works.

dondiego
04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Those should be fine to shoot but you might be able to use less lube. As long as they are dry, I don't bother with wiping the bases or noses.