PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dot or Power Pistol ?

Blanco
03-24-2014, 09:22 AM
I load and shoot 9mm, .40 and 45 Acp
I have been using mostly faster powders on these such as Bullseye / Red Dot, Titegroup and Unique. I came across both Blue Dot and PP and was wondering how they perform with cast boolits?
Which do you prefer and why?
Any pet loads that you want to share?
I am really not into breaking records with top velocities.
Will any of these work in rifle loadings?

Thanks in advance

osteodoc08
03-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Of the two I've had better luck overall with power pistol. It's clean and you don't have to run it at max for best results. BD is best when used at the upper ranges.

Bonz
03-24-2014, 10:39 AM
PowerPistol is great, burns very clean (as seen by the huge flame exiting the barrel) and meters fantastically thru my Hornady LNL powder measure. Blue Dot does not meter at all thru my powder measure but I do use it in 45 Colt. PowerPistol is my goto powder of choice in .380, 9mm, 357 magnum and 500 magnum. Definitely Hodgdon Longshot in my .40 S&W and just still currently do not have a favorite in 45acp, but I do like Bullseye (but its a low velocity round), Ramshot Silhouette and Winchester Autocomp (850 to 900fps depending on the weight).

bobthenailer
03-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Power Pistol !

Blanco
03-24-2014, 11:57 AM
I have had trouble with small amounts of the Alliant "Dot" powders in my Lee Pro powder dispensers. And even in larger amounts it can be a bit inconsistent. Sounds like we will go with the PP!

uscra112
03-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Surprised to hear anybody say they don't get good or better results with Blue Dot. Works for me.

w5pv
03-24-2014, 05:34 PM
I have got about 48 loads of10.5 grains Blue under a 255 lrn I am going to try maybe tomorow if things go right.I loaded some at 11.4 grains but didn't like the recoil so I dropped back to 10.5.The accuracy was fine but the recoil in the six shooter was a little heavy for me.It probably will be ok in the lever gun.
I shot 18 rounds Of the Blue Dot at 18.5 grains less than 3" on all of the shots from 50 yrds.Looks like I will stay with this load until I shoot the 1# of Blue Dot up.

theperfessor
03-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Haven't tried PP but 6.8-7.0 grs BD under the Lee 358-125RF is my go to 9mm load for my HiPower. Don't have a .40, didn't like BD in .45 ACP.

Nicholas
03-24-2014, 06:35 PM
My experience with BD is that performance between some older power and a newer canister was inconsistent, like they were different powders.

MtGun44
03-25-2014, 12:19 AM
PP is a great one in .44 mag. It is real similar to Unique in that cartridge, but
takes a bit less for the same vel.

Bill

rintinglen
03-25-2014, 03:05 AM
I've become a fan of Power Pistol--It is a favorite for 9mm. I only got interested in it because Blue Dot has been scarcer than honest congressmen the last year or so, but I've come to prefer PP. It works well and meters better. I have tried it in the 357 and 38 Special with good results also, but I prefer to use it in the 9mm where it shines. PP also is excellent in the 9MM Largo. I've loaded a few 452-423 240 grain SWC in the 45 Auto Rim cases for use in a shaved Webley Mk VI. 5.8 grains of Power Pistol moves the boolit along at about 650 fps. Blue Dot works better in low end Magnum loads, but PP is better just about every where else.

Thumbcocker
03-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Use pp in .44 mag and special 9mm, .45 acp, and loaded some .41 mags for a friend. So far I have been very impressed with it. In .44 special you get very good velocity and accuracy with low pressure. What's not to like.

osteodoc08
03-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Surprised to hear anybody say they don't get good or better results with Blue Dot. Works for me.

Have you tried PP before?

I'm not poo pooing on BD. Matter of fact, I have a 5# jub of it downstairs. For me it is a better magnum powder than it is an auto pistol powder. That's where PP really shines, for me. If you havent tried PP in the range of high pressure autos, consider it next time around, in place of BD. (I agree, BD isnt the best 45auto powder)

I get excellent results with it in 10mm and 45 colt which is where I use it the most. I had used it in 41 mag for years until Alliant said to not use it in ANY 41 Mag loading due to potential for pressure spikes.

dkf
03-25-2014, 10:32 AM
I am a fan of Power Pistol. However if you shoot at an indoor range you may want a powder that is less flashy. PP makes a nice fire ball.

Steve in Michigan
04-28-2014, 03:38 PM
I used to shoot Blue Dot when I shot Hunter Pistol Silhouette years ago and found it very temperature sensitive. When it was hot, it usually shot about 8" higher at 100 yards than when it was cold. I've used some PP in 9mm, .45 and .38 Special and have found it to be a great powder. Even better than BD or PP is Ramshot True Blue if you can find it.

Ed_Shot
04-28-2014, 04:16 PM
I get excellent results with Blue Dot 6.0 gr under 120 gr boolits in 9MM. That's 1075~1100 fps depending on the pistol. Experimented with BD up thru 6.7 gr. with 120 gr. 9MM boolits and saw no performance advantage just more recoil.

I'm not impressed with BD in 40 SW or 45 ACP.

Cherokee
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
For the three cartridges asked about: Power Pistol. I like BD and use it as well as PP but for the OP question, its PP.

youngmman
05-02-2014, 03:56 PM
I just finished developing some loads for the 45ACP using Blue Dot. The bullets were the LBT 225 LFN, Lyman 452374, and H&G 230 TC, all with the same alloy with 14BHN. The LBT 225 LFN was the clear winner with one hole @25 yards: COL 1.20", WLP primer, Remington Nickel + P cases and 9 grains of Blue Dot. This duplicates factory case expansion using the Remington 230 JHP factory bullets. I'm told these Remington bullets are not loaded at maximum though. Anyway its a pleasant load to shoot, accurate and I estimate the velocity at about 800-850.

Whitespider
05-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I've seen Blue Dot do some really funky, erratic things...

I did some work with Blue Dot in a couple revolver cartridges some years ago... there was a sort'a pressure sweet-spot where it would burn relatively clean and give consistent velocities. Below that sweet-spot I got inconsistent velocities and dirty burning, above that sweet-spot I got horribly erratic pressures... such as occasional sticking cases, some primers severely flattened, and huge fireballs from the muzzle. The biggest problem was that sweet-spot would change with temperature... what gave good results at 7:00 AM and 55°, didn't work worth sour owl squat at 3:00 PM and 85°. It seemed to work better, or the sweet-spot widened, using light-for-caliber bullets... 170 grain in the .41 magnum and 110 grain in the .357. I had problems with it in hunting shot-shells also... squibs during extreme cold, blown patterns in the heat. I just discontinued the use of Blue Dot; I probably ain't opened my jug in over 15 years... one of these days I'll likely use it for garden fertilizer.

Interestingly you will find this safety notice on The Alliant Powder website...
"During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue DotŪ should not be used in the following applications:
Blue DotŪ should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue DotŪ recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
Blue DotŪ should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue DotŪ in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter."

Oh... Ain't never used Power Pistol.

Lefty Red
05-02-2014, 07:07 PM
I like Blue Dot. It was my most accurate powder in my 41 Mag.
Used it in 357 and 45CL and 44. Its a powder that will spike in pressure, so when you find the right load, don't push it!
Also, IMHO, it sucks at light loads. I only used it for upper loads.

Lefty

captaint
05-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Well, I'm a virg on these 2. I guess if I do ever pick one, it'll be the PP. MIke
And anymore, who knows what will be available ????

MtGun44
05-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Never used BD, and the warnings about acting strangely does not seem like
I need the hassle. PP works great and I use it or Unique. Don't need a powder
on the shelf that has quirky behavior in some situations.

Bill

dougader
05-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I love this last keg of Hercules Blue Dot. I have a keg of AA #9 to replace it, but wouldn't mind trying Power Pistol and Longshot, too.

The only problem I've had with Blue Dot is outrageously high listed charges in old data and it's sensitivity to magnum primers.

I find it works great and burns very clean in cast bullet loads but from what I've seen Power Pistol is going to work better in semi-auto pistol calibers like 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 auto.