PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you need to lay your guns down.....

MBTcustom
03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
And go fly a pink Barbie doll kite!
You know.
When the wind is perfect and everything. LOL!
I had a good time with my daughter after church today, and I'm a big enough man that I can prance around in an open field with a barbie kite, playing "tag your it" with a 4 year old (actually she's almost five now! God help me!)
Seriously, you want to snap the hands off the clock and slow your roll? Spend time with them kids! Especially in the springtime. The kite was cheap and that was 45 minutes that were not wasted.
Take care fellers!

I think I'll have this last one framed. Sure am glad I listened to Angie when she suggested we go fly a kite today after church!

fatnhappy
03-23-2014, 02:38 PM
yes. yes you do.

Artful
03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Nice pic's - building memories is important - and letting your inner child out is good for you creative juices.

So what's it mean when my wife tells me go fly a kite and I don't have kids and the wind ain't blowing?

tomme boy
03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
If my old lady told me to go fly a kite, it is not the same as you were told. I had fun when I was a kid doing the same. She will remeber this for ever!

Rick Hodges
03-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Nice pic's - building memories is important - and letting your inner child out is good for you creative juices.

So what's it mean when my wife tells me go fly a kite and I don't have kids and the wind ain't blowing?

Trust me, if she told you to fly a kite.....there is a very big wind blowing. :bigsmyl2:

cbrick
03-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Seriously, you want to snap the hands off the clock and slow your roll? Spend time with them kids! Especially in the springtime. The kite was cheap and that was 45 minutes that were not wasted.

Yeah, no kiddin.

My daughter told me last week that it looks like she is about to become a Grandma. A Grandma? Seems it was just a few years ago I was changing her diaper, how could she be a Grandma?

:shock: Geez, that means I'll be . . . A Great Grandpa. :groner: I don't see how that's possible, it was just a few years ago I was standing in the principals office. Again.

For sure enjoy them while you can, next week they will be on their first date and the week after that off to college and gone.

Rick

MBTcustom
03-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Yeah, no kiddin.

My daughter told me last week that it looks like she is about to become a Grandma. A Grandma? Seems it was just a few years ago I was changing her diaper, how could she be a Grandma?

:shock: Geez, that means I'll be . . . A Great Grandpa. :groner: I don't see how that's possible, it was just a few years ago I was standing in the principals office. Again.

For sure enjoy them while you can, next week they will be on their first date and the week after that off to college and gone.

Rick

So you're about to get another life's promotion?

Love Life
03-23-2014, 03:02 PM
The OP is the gospel as handed down from on high.

Just wait until you spend 20 minutes painting your daughter's finger and toe nails multiple colors. Oh, and make sure you can paint within the lines or you'll get dirty looks.

s mac
03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Good job goodsteel, yes she will remember this day, and you will too. Man, does time fly by.

SGTM9
03-23-2014, 03:16 PM
As the father of 4 girls. Many were the times I did girlie things with them. Painting fingernails them putting ponytails and barrets in my beard playing pretty pretty princeess, etc.. man I wish time had not flown so fast. All are now grown and on their own now youngest is 20 oldest 34. I am now a Grandpa of 7 soon to be 8. Cherish the moments. Time is a Master Thief.

MtGun44
03-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Good call, Tim. Kids need attention, and they sure grow up fast.

Bill

southpaw
03-23-2014, 05:34 PM

Just wait until you spend 20 minutes painting your daughter's finger and toe nails multiple colors. Oh, and make sure you can paint within the lines or you'll get dirty looks.

I'm getting pretty good at that! So far she doesn't complain when I get outside of the lines. So long as she can wear her princess dress while she is playing in the mud.

I think I am gonna go buy some kytes tuesday. Nice pics, Tim and thanks for the idea.

SGTM9 - I can't believe it but so far she hasn't tried to put anything in my beard. I have worn some crown things and berettes in my hair but not the beard, yet.. Of course there is still the baby....

Jerry Jr.

bear67
03-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Time well spent Tim.
Good man, good job, memories made, little girl happy.

2AMMD
03-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Goodsteel,
Those times spent with the children doing fun things are permanent memories for me and them. I wish I had devoted more time to my children when they were young. It also seems to take away the everyday worries about work, bills, etc. for a while. Spend as much time with your children as you can. They grow up fast.
2AMMD

btroj
03-23-2014, 06:32 PM

Stop by Nebraska and you can paint mine!

histed
03-23-2014, 07:34 PM
goodsteel - I remember doin' that with my girls, next day they were 29 and 34. We still have the memories and its time I wouldn't trade for a warehouse full of guns. Good Stuff!

Handloader109
03-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Heck, my 22yr old daughter and I flew her kite about a week ago. Both of us had fun. Enjoy your kids, they grow up fast.

perotter
03-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Well Tim, if you haven't yet learned all the names of the My Little Pony's and what each one's cutie mark is you better start learning. There will be a test on it.

Sweetpea
03-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Sounds like the best use of the time you have been given!

You still work-free on Sundays?

richhodg66
03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Kites are fun, doesn't matter what color or theme.

I had sons, no daughters, so never had to do girlie stuff, but I would have if I'd had little girls. Spent a lot of time hiking, camping, fishing etc. We lived all their lives on a lake and I can't tell you how many evenings were spent just going to the shore and skipping rocks, they never got tired of it.

I teach high school now and see first hand the results of lack of parenting. There are an awful lot of kids out there who want and need attention and acceptance from an adult who cares. Good one you for being a good parent.

Love Life
03-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Stop by Nebraska and you can paint mine!

Powder coat or HI-TEK?

Harter66
03-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Except when some yah whoo blows in from the west coast ...... :)

Tim,
those are the good times. I wouldn't trade them for nothing.......everything.

My little girl called today to say she loved me....... Then she says ''Lu threw her bottle over the fence at the car saying ''Papapapapapa'' I think she misses you''. I said ''I think maybe her mama misses Papa too'' . Mine are 24,25,27 and 29. I've 4 granddaughters and a grandson. Yep its gone too quick....

Artful
03-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Powder coat or HI-TEK?

Oh, take pic's when you put in the oven to cure - HOT FOOT

AlaskanGuy
03-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Wow, Very Very nice Sir... You are a great dad... you would have been a better dad if you would have wore a Pink Barbie tu-tu and danced around with that kite.... John Wayne would have done it... LOL

But still great job sir... Much will be made of this investment in the future...

AG

btroj
03-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Powder coat or HI-TEK?

Hi-Tek of course. I don't have all the gear, not to be confused with Gear, required to powder coat.

captaint
03-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Tim - Like s mac said - the kids do remember these days. There have been plenty of days I had forgotten about that my kids remember. "Remember, Dad, the time we..........." And once in a while, I don't remember. Point is, they do. Time well spent.
Also, I'm about to become a GrandDad later this week. Can't wait. Mike

smoked turkey
03-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Tim by now you have probably run into the little life teaching of rocks in a jar. You have a quart jar and several big rocks and a bunch of smaller rocks. The idea is to get all the rocks in the jar. You learn that the only way to accomplish this successfully is to put the big rocks in first. The little rocks slide right in and fill all the little nooks and crannies left between the big rocks. Tim as you and so many have learned, taking time to play with your kids, go to church, and loving those around you are the "big rocks". You got it exactly right!

NewbieDave007
03-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Very nice Tim. Good job and good fun.

Bulldogger
03-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Looks great!

Flew kites with my son this past Saturday. We've long enjoyed it and I think it's a great way to spend time together. I even keep a bag of kites in the truck to take advantage of windy opportunities and down time with my 4yo (5 next month).

Bulldogger

Echo
03-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I remember flying a kite with my wife once, and the kite was dancing all over the place. Sweet Ol' Carole said "You need more tail". I won't repeat what I said, but it's been mentioned above...

John Allen
03-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Tim, you should have figured a way to hook a go pro to it!

GOPHER SLAYER
03-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Many years ago I bought our two daughters kites to play with in the winds of March. The wind was a little late in coming that year and despite running up and down the street trying to make them fly, they simply would not. A few days later while driving home from work I could tell the wind had arrived. I parked, ran in and told my youngest to grab her kite and come outside. As soon as I held up the kite it took off. In my rush I had neglected to put on gloves. In a vey short time the string began to burn my hands. I switched from hand to hand but it did little good. I had to let go and that kite picked up speed and kept climbing. It was black and shaped like a bat. After a short time all I could see was a small black dot. My daughter began to cry and yelling, " you lost my kite". I tried to assure her that I would get her another kite but it wouldn't be the same. I felt terrible.

jaysouth
03-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Tim,

Moments like that are precious. Spend as much time as you can with her.

I will never forget when my 12 year old twins told me that they were "too old to play with me anymore". Childhood was over and the race was on. I never could keep up. They brought me some wonderful grandchildren that I am spoiling rotten.

Three44s
03-25-2014, 02:27 AM
Man can not live by guns alone!

Good on you Tim!

Three 44s

freebullet
03-25-2014, 02:53 AM
Goodsteel that's some fine kitesmanship exhibited by the two of you. You sure that was her kite? Looks like you've been practicing.

Btroj
Be careful what ya ask for. I've got a heatgun that gets to 1k degrees you won't need to fit in the oven for a proper cure. Also have the powder coat setup AND some pink powder. I'll let love life borrow the whole shebang if he's ever in the neighborhood. I'd probably pay a dollar to watch the process. What would we title that thread?

osteodoc08
03-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Pure awesomeness GoodSteel. You will treasure that time forever and she will be a better woman for it.

a.squibload
04-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Next time take some cardstock with you, cut a slit to a hole in the middle,
stick it on the string and send a message to the angels.
We made kites from newspaper & sticks, were spoiled though,
store-bought string.