PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for Bullet Sizer Die storage

happy7
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Has anyone come up with a good idea to store and organize their bullet sizer dies?

Scrounger
12-28-2007, 10:35 AM
One suggestion was a plastic box with dividers in it, usually in Depaertment store fishing equiptment area, I know WalMart has some. Another was pill bottles, film containers, and the little plastic bottle that glucose test strips come in. I have half a dozen or so of the latter, anyone willing to pay postage can have them.

45 2.1
12-28-2007, 10:38 AM
The plastic boxes to hold 25-12 gauge shotshells work fine, but i'm useing at least two of them now.

454PB
12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
The sewing/hobby area at Wal*Mart has plastic organizers that will hold about 32 dies and are clear. I write the die diameter on the outside of the lid and the bottom of each compartment. They cost about $2.

BruceB
12-28-2007, 06:27 PM
My sizing dies are kept in pill bottles from the pharmacist. They're dust-proof and pretty-much airtight, too. The ones I use are 1" diameter x 2.5" long, and work perfectly. I installed a six-foot-long 1x4 plank on top of the hanging eight-foot fluorescent fixture above the bench, with 1" holes bored all along its length for the pill bottles.

With each bottle clearly labeled for its die size with a label-maker, and stored in ascending order of size from left to right, it's a only a matter of a second to select the required die.

Also, keeping them on top of the warm light fixture ensures the lube stays malleable for easy installation.

Rottweiler
12-28-2007, 07:21 PM
I use 35 mm film canisters with a piece of masking tape as a label

Bullshop
12-28-2007, 07:35 PM
I use mtn 12 gauge ammo box with stacable trays. The box holds three trays and each tray about 50 dies.
BIC/BS

Edward429451
12-28-2007, 07:44 PM
I used to use film cannisters but I like to store the top punches with the die, so the film cannsters were lacking in room. I use pill bottles now.

monadnock#5
12-28-2007, 09:23 PM
I found an organizer at Home Depot that comes in the form of a suitcase. When stood up, either side will flop down. Each side is about 4" deep. The sizers stand on end so that they're easily accessible. Made either by, or for Stanley. I've got all kinds of junk stored in it now, and still have room for more.

Scrounger
12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Is this it? Several to choose from here: http://www.google.com/products?q=stanley+organizers&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS228US233&um=1

Springfield
12-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Funny, I was looking at this shotgun shell plastic box and wondering what I should do with it. Just redid my sizers stand and needed a place for the sizers too. This place is so handy!

twoworms
12-28-2007, 11:55 PM
I but the Lee three die box for I can keep 4 of the Lee size dies in it.

Tim

94Doug
12-29-2007, 12:23 AM
I found some stackable containers at a Ben Franklin store that hold 4-5+, and was thinking this might be just the ticket.... one for each caliber.

Doug

Shepherd2
12-29-2007, 08:18 AM
MTM 12 gauge shotshell box.

rbwillnj
12-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I use medicine bottles. The local pharmicist gave me all I wanted for 10 cents each.
Don't get the child proof caps.

eka
12-29-2007, 12:36 PM
I found some stackable containers at a Ben Franklin store that hold 4-5+, and was thinking this might be just the ticket.... one for each caliber.

Doug

Now, Ben Franklin stores takes me back. Haven't had one around these parts in decades. One of my favorite places to go when I was a kid. I didn't even know they still existed. Anyway, pardon me for getting off topic to stroll down memory lane.

Keith

monadnock#5
12-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Go back to the link you provided and go eight items down, item 14166R I believe. Double sided organiser. That's what I have. It does have its drawbacks. It's big, bulky and if you want to open both sides at the same time you need to clear the workbench off or set it in the middle of the floor. If filled to max capacity with heavy items you'd need a back brace. It does hold a lot of stuff though.

94Doug
12-30-2007, 11:20 PM
I just tried out the holder from (yes) the Ben Franklin Store. It seems perfect. I would suspect they could be found at either a hobby shop or craft store anywhere, they are made by Darice Company, (they have a web site, there are variations on the amount of compartments #2505-12) this one has 5 compartments, plus one above those 5 that runs the full lenth of the box. They are 3 1/2 X 6" and are made to stack. Like I said, I will pretty much have one for each caliber I cast for, with all the options used in one box.

Doug

Bent Ramrod
12-31-2007, 01:42 PM
My storage is one of those blue metal and plastic cabinets with the handle on them that has a bunch of clear plastic drawers in it. Sometimes they come filled with screws, nuts and washers, sometimes they are empty. You can get at least five dies in each drawer (more if they are out of the tube, which in my experience does not last very long) which means you can have all your .22's, .25's, .30s, .32s, .35s, .40s and .45s in separate drawers. There are enough extra drawers for top punches, lock rings for loading dies, dummy cartridges for length gauges, and other stuff.

I store the sizing dies with bullet grease attached, and have never had any rusting problems.

happy7
12-31-2007, 04:32 PM
What a lot of great ideas. You would think I could have come up with just one of them on my own. That is what is so great about you all here. You have a lot of great ideas. I really appreciate it.

Winger Ed.
12-31-2007, 09:18 PM
I had a couple of dies rust several years ago.
I got mad, and put the rest of them into pint Mason jars full of motor oil for long term storage.

Its a little messy when you need a set, but they ain't rusty!

Oden
12-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I leave the lube on the dies then store them in M&M Mini candy containers and write the size on the top with a sharpe marker.

94Doug
01-01-2008, 12:53 PM
...But then, you would have to eat a lot of M&M's..... Oh, yeah, I see now.

Doug

cohutt
01-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm not that fancy, i just use the very small zip locks avaiable at hobby stores, just big enough to hold the dies and punch. I write what they are on the outside with a sharpie and then put them all in a sandwich sized ziplock and keep in the box with lubrisizer II.

Of course this only works becasue (I presume) that I only own a fraction of the dies most of you own.

miestro_jerry
01-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I just use one of those utility boxes like you buy at Walmart, similar to the one Scronger pictured.

They work well for a lot of things.

Happy New Year,

Jerry