PDA

View Full Version : Support equipment

Powersgt
03-23-2014, 10:09 AM
All,

I don't know if there is a thread already started or discussed (I'll assume someone has at one point.)

For the sake of Health and safety, what have you all done to try and eliminate lead particles, smoke and vapor. I know all the concerns, keep it low, vent out, etc. etc. etc.....

I have a small casting business; a couple auto-casters, Master Casters and a couple small bottom pour pots. I recently bought a air filter system (construction type) that has a 5 and 1 micron filter system. I am thinking this will help with things like smoke from fluxing, wax etc... I don't have any hope that it would ever take any kind of lead vapor from the room. This is my interim fix until spring comes and I can get to the outside of my shop and put in real ventilation fan system.

What are your practical solutions to the problem, all be it whatever size you perceive? Has anyone done research on what it takes to scrub the air in this environment that is cost effective?

V/R

Jeff

tazman
03-23-2014, 12:11 PM
For over 35 years, I worked in a factory heat treating department that used very large(1200lb) gas fired lead pots as a heat source for heat treating steel parts. We were working at 1500 degrees on the average, far above any temperatures used for boolit casting.
We never used filters or masks. We had large exhaust hoods over the tops of the lead pots with effective fan driven exhaust that moved the air and smoke out of the building and away from us when we stood in front of the pots to work. We were tested every year for lead and during that entire time we only had one man who got contaminated. Since he broke the rules and ate and smoked while working, we figured it was his own doing. No one else had any problems at all. In that time we had over 25 men go through that department. Most were there for over 5 years at a time.
My blood lead level tested higher just before I started in that department than it did when I retired. Never even close to an issue.
I would suggest venting to the outside using something like a bathroom exhaust fan and hood would work adequately for small areas. For a large shop you would want something changing the air more often than that. Almost any air filtration system will take the necessary particulates out of the air.

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Sometimes we get way to hung up on things that aren't needed. When you work in a factory environment you soon learn that the employer doesn't give a rats butt about polution and will do only what is required of them. As tazman has stated he did his time and has suffered no ill effects. He tested fine so I wouldn't worry about your facility.

tazman
03-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Sometimes we get way to hung up on things that aren't needed. When you work in a factory environment you soon learn that the employer doesn't give a rats butt about polution and will do only what is required of them.

I can't knock my employer too much as I did work there for all my adult working life. That said they only cared about pollution to the extent that it effected their bottom line. They were mostly concerned about the trouble they would get into from the government if they broke the rules.
They did seem concerned about the safety and health of the employees since they realized if we were sick we couldn't work and medical bills are expensive for a self insured company.

yman
03-23-2014, 12:53 PM
I do my inital melt down outside, w/w and scrape lead. I flux alot, so I dont have to reflux when I mold, seems like most of the smoke and fumes happen then. After I get everything melted in nice ingots I move inside. I mold bullets inside the garage with a box fan on med about 4 ft from me. Garage doors upon,windows open and I dont have a ceiling so the air can go up and out. I always wear heavy leather gloves. When I lube I wear laytex gloves, amazing how gray they get. I also alway wash my hands after each molding session and I dont smoke.

mold maker
03-23-2014, 01:36 PM
The lead in the air from casting or smelting is in the form of lead oxide dust. As such treat it as you would any other nasty dust. Most of it is eliminated when we smelt/melt the dirty lead, and most do that outdoors if possible. The temps we use to cast with cleaned lead are low compared to making lead vapors at 12-1700 degrees, so that is of little concern.
Common sense clean health habits are imperative, but simple. Don't stand over the pot and sniff the smoke. Wear natural fiber protective gear to protect ALL your skin from burns. Don't smoke, drink, or eat while working with lead. Washing your hands and face often is by far the most important.
I've cast since 1961, and had my blood levels check regularly, especially since I retired. (more lead handling) The levels have consistently been 4 or less, with the warning level beginning above 12.
If your casting in a large open area, just a fan would likely get you by til Spring, but don't let that deter you from a perminate exhaust directly above your pots.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-23-2014, 01:46 PM
While I haven't seen your setup, I don't think Lead becomes airborn from " normal" casting. Yes there surely is some oxides in the dross...be careful with that.

Other than that, most other lead contact is from your hands to food,cigs,picking your nose or scratching you eyes.

Powersgt
03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Thank you,

I should have clarrified my question, I am not as worried about the lead as much as the associated other materials. I don't smelt indoors if at all. Most of the lead is foundry alloy so the only smoke is from wood shavings and excess lube that I flux with after the fact. (Yes, I flux foundry as a 100lb pot will seperate as you cast so I flux with wood shavings to keep the tin mixed in.)

Everytime I have had my lead checked, it has been within "normal" levels but since I have exsposure to a lot of other stuff here and overseas, I was thinking I should be a little more careful, I am probably more supseptable to diesel exhaust then anything else.

I like tazman's and mold maker suggestion's about the large area fan, that is the best solution to the whole shop atmosphere.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff (Powersgt)