PDA

View Full Version : 434-250

MGySgt
09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Anyone that has this - have you shot any yet?

I have been trying to get a load for my SBH 4/58's. Unique and any where from 9 to 11 grains nomally shoots well with any bullet in this weight range. But I can't seem to get this one to shoot.

Star line brass, CCI LP, seated to middle crimp grove.

I am going to go to the closest one to the nose and try again.

Also I will try my 629's (Mountain Gun and a 6.5 in classic).

Maybe its that darn Ruger!

Drew

Bass Ackward
09-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Anyone that has this - have you shot any yet?

I have been trying to get a load for my SBH 4/58's. Unique and any where from 9 to 11 grains nomally shoots well with any bullet in this weight range. But I can't seem to get this one to shoot.

Drew

Drew,

For handgun, I have settled on two loads. First is 14.5 grains of 2400 seated deep. Then 13 grains of Blue Dot seated to the middle. For my handguns I am sizing .4315 to remove the taper. These are both around 1100 to 1150. Play with the seating depth because you can vary velocity about 150 fps depending on where you crimp.

I haven't gotten around to a full house load yet. To many projects.

MGySgt
09-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Bass,

I don't have any Blue Dot - But I do have 2400. I will load some up tonight and if there is time (light) I will shoot them and see what happens.

I really don't understand the Unique, unless the Ruger just needs everything run hard. My 429421 and RCBS 44-250K are both undersize for the Ruger and they lead real bad, but shoot great out of my 629's.

I have one load right now for the SBH - but that will only shoot full throttle out of any 44. (280 BR, GC 80%FP, sized .4315) goes 1200 out of my SBH and shoots about 4 in @ 50 when I can hold it. And that says alot for this load! After about 15 of them I have to put the gun down. Cases almost fall out of the cylinder after shooting so I don't think the pressure is too high, but I won't qute that load and I don't shoot many of them.

Thanks for the tip on 2400 - I am really looking for a good Mid Range load to shoot, this may not be the bullet, don't know, only time will tell.

Drew

buck1
09-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Mine shoots fine with full loads of WC820,....Buck

MGySgt
09-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Got home late last night and no time to load and shoot - 10 hour day and an hour commute each way sure eats up the day light.

Loaded 25 last night with 14.5 gr 2400 and shot them tonight. Much better but still at about 4 plus inches at 25 yds.

This Star line brass sure is thick and I can see where I am geting blow back around the case, not as bad as with the Unique, but still there on most cases.

Loaded up 25 more with 15.0 and will shoot them tomorrow night when I get home (range in back yard)

Drew

buck1
09-08-2005, 12:06 AM
15 gr should shoot. I have a light load that shoots in all my rugers. 15 gr 2400 under a 240gr-250gr anything. This is a tryed and true combo in my 44 mags. If it doesnt shoot, I dare say its not the load. I have shot it for -20 years-,And my dad shot it since the flat top came out, and it always has worked in any Ruger. FWIW.....BUCK

TCLouis
09-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Is that "new" or "old" WC820.

I call X4.5 a "full load" with 429421 with my lot of 820, higher may work, it shoots good at that level with that bullet in my SRH.

MGySgt
09-08-2005, 08:43 PM
15 gr should shoot. I have a light load that shoots in all my rugers. 15 gr 2400 under a 240gr-250gr anything. This is a tryed and true combo in my 44 mags. If it doesnt shoot, I dare say its not the load. I have shot it for -20 years-,And my dad shot it since the flat top came out, and it always has worked in any Ruger. FWIW.....BUCK

Buck - 15.0 shot a little bit better but not what it should. I think the brass is too hard for anything other then full house loads. It may also be sizing down the bullet when I seat it.

I have some Winchester cases someplace in one of my foot lockers. I am going to dig it out and trim it and try it.

I loaded some at 15.5 tonight that I will try, but I really don't expect very much.

I will shoot them tomorrow night.

Drew

felix
09-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Drew, it might not be the brass hardness/thickness per se. Load up one round as normal. Now, use that loaded round and finger it into the seating die and crimp die if seperate dies. If it is a very tight fit in either die, then the die is sizing the boolit down. A big 44 boolit would be quite difficult for the case itself to size the boolit down on its own. ... felix

MGySgt
09-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Drew, it might not be the brass hardness/thickness per se. Load up one round as normal. Now, use that loaded round and finger it into the seating die and crimp die if seperate dies. If it is a very tight fit in either die, then the die is sizing the boolit down. A big 44 boolit would be quite difficult for the case itself to size the boolit down on its own. ... felix

Thanks for the thought but I already fixed that one in my Seater Die - @#@!$ RCBS tight die. I switched it out for a Lyman and I use another lyman as the crimp die. That seater die worked fine for .430, but that extra for the .4315 made a difference.

I learned a long time ago if you use a heavy crimp and seat/crimp in the same die - you can get shaved lead and/or buldged cases. My Dillon told me that in 357's 8 gr Unique and a 358477. That 150gr use to jump crimp on me in a Mod 28.Heavy crimp solved it until a few cases grew and then they buldged and wouldn't chamber. Trimed and switched to a seater and seperate crimp die and never had the problem again. (shooting 1000 rds a month i didn't trim as often as I should have)

Now I keep a seperate crimp die for 38's, 357 and 44's. I want to try one of those taper crimp dies for 45 ACP's, jusat haven't got-around-to-it.

And yes - it does get expensive with all the extra dies. I normally just order them from Lyman any more, Seater/Crimp or just as a Crimp die. Just got 3 more for 45 rifle. The 45/90, 2 marlins in 45/70 that take a different depth each and the Ruger #1 with another different depth.

Who ever said reloading and casting was cheap!!!!

Drew

Drew

MGySgt
09-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Now at 15.5 and the group is shrinking - With Unique I was shooting patterns, at least they are small enough to be groups.

Recoil is getting up there, but still I think it is ok for a practice load.

I am going to try 16.0 tomorrow (Sat). I am also going to dig out some WW cases and see if the lighter loads don't shoot better in the thinner brass - I will post the results.

Drew

buck1
09-11-2005, 11:50 AM
The WC820 I used was the H110 burn rate.....Buck

MGySgt
09-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Shot 16.0 out of both the Ruger SBH and a 629 Mountain Gun.

629 shot smaller groups, not great groups but acceptable, some of the lack of a group could be the shooter!

Can't find any of my WW or Rem brass that isn't loaded. There is so much I haven't found since I moved last year!

I am still having problems getting use to a 6 cavity mold, so much that I am wondering if it is worth it. Lots of rejects - I ladel pour. I have tried bottom pours and can not get good bullets!

Drew

Willbird
09-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I have never ladle poured a 6 cavity, I would not begin to know how to make a decent rate at it.

The gang molds going back to antiquity I always thought were made to be used bottom pour.

I have thought of making a tubular riser inside the pot so the bottom pour doesnt actually pull from the bottom of the pot, but more the middle.

Marks handbook swears that the output pressure would be exactly the same either way.

I have gotten 4" groups so far with the 434-250 bottom pour with iron sights....I would love to have better, but I'm not sure how much of that is the shooter either...I am shooting a redhawk and other posters have said inconsistant grip is the group killer there....it moves around pretty good with a full case of H110 too.

Bill

drinks
09-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I have shot one load, so far.
19gr H110 in a Handirifle with .431 groove microgroove barrel, bullet sized .433, with factory sights I put 5 touching at 50 yds.

MGySgt
09-11-2005, 07:38 PM
I have no doubt that the bullet will shoot. Because I am using short barrels and haven't done much pistol shooting since last fall, I have been loading 25 rounds and shooting them all at the same poit of aim. I have not adjusted the sights on either 44.

25 yds

The SBH (4 5/8's) cuts a ragged hole about 3.5-4 inch with the 25 rounds with a good amount outside of this 'group'.

The 629 MG cuts that ragged hole by about 3 in with much less out of the ragged hole.

I am not displeased with the group. I haven't shot it at 50 yet and won't out of the SBH, those sights are set for 2 inch high at 50 with my 280 gr gc 80% fp. Took me a long time to get it sighted there with lots of range time and that is about as far as I would want to shoot at something (Elk). That load has some recoil to it. And I get the magnum jitters after 15 or 20 rounds. Group size is right around 4 in off the sand bags.

I am going to Play with this 6 cavity some more, but I am leaning towards not buying any more them until I see where it leads to.

If you see one for sale on 'Swapping and selling, you will know I just gave up on it.

Drew