PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red just checking my Mix :)

JesterGrin_1
03-22-2014, 09:36 PM
After everything I have read I figured I would mix a gallon of the stuff. Since I am in South TEXAS my Firearms may not get all that dirty from shooting but the Dust,Sand and all together grime sure creates a mess pretty darn quick. So some Firearms I completely tear down and soak the parts for cleaning and then reassemble.

From what I found it said Equal parts except for Lanolin.

1 Part Dextron II or III

1 Part Kerosene

1 Part Mineral Spirits

1 Part Acetone

And mix in about 1 LB of Lanolin

This should save me the use of so much Brake Cleaner. :)

geargnasher
03-22-2014, 09:53 PM
I use synthetic ATF (Royal Purple is what I used last) and omit the Lanolin for general use. Lanolin prevents rust very well and is superb for use on "safe queens" but makes things VERY sticky in the field.

Hornady One Shot or the Zombie Juice (same thing) is an excellent dry lube for field arms that will not attract dust. Expensive and worth every penny for use one two or three field guns. The rest of mine get Ed's and synthetic 5W-30 oil and where needed, Primrose Armor Plate grease (the green stuff) or Mobil 1 Moly EP #3.

For stubborn carbon, like in cylinder throats, it's tough to beat Sea Foam and synthetic tranny fluid mixed 50/50, GM top engine cleaner, or Mopar aerosol foaming decarbon spray.

Gear

JesterGrin_1
03-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Well I may try the other stuff later on. As I am sure it will not take me long to use up what I made lol.

But Thank You so much for the Information.

Outpost75
03-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Agree, you can leave the lanolin out. The lanolin is mainly for additional lubricity, to displace water when using as a flush after water cleaning of blackpowder or corrosive primers, and for long term storage.

The type of ATF isn't all that critical. Use what you have. I used all my old Mercon.

Pb2au
03-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Same here. Just made a batch a couple of weekends ago. I just leave out the lanolin. Cheap and effective, what is not to like.

Nueces
03-25-2014, 08:05 PM
I leave out the acetone, as it's mostly for plastic shotgun wad fouling and it's the most volatile component. I do put in some lanolin, but about a quarter of what the recipe calls for. I shot a cowboy match in the rain a couple Saturdays ago and the guns got pretty wet. No damage, though, the lanolin film did the job. It's not at all sticky at this concentration. ER is the best gun cleaner I have ever used and now the only one, except for black powder arms.

C.F.Plinker
03-25-2014, 08:24 PM
You want to use the petroleum based mineral spirits not the newer water based mineral spirits.

I use the lanolin and omit the acetone since I don't have to deal with shotgun wad residue. I will cut the lanolin back to half of the recommended amount when I mix it up next time. I first mixed it up without the lanolin and found it to be too drying. With the recommended amount it is too slick and oily to suit me so I am changing the mix. This is what I like about the do it yourself formulas. You start with a formula lthat works for many and then fine tune it to suit yourself.

zuke
03-26-2014, 05:29 AM
I mix it as instruction's say, I don't know where I'll be using it. Worked great as a penetrating oil in my 95 GEO Tracker brake line's.

Shiloh
03-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Omit the lanolin.

You have the recipe. Tweak it as you see fit. The acetone is for cutting plastic shotgun wad fowling.

Shiloh

Crash_Corrigan
03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
If I could only duplicate the aroma of Hoppes # 9 in my mix of Ed's Red I would be a happy camper. I long ago eliminated the acetone as I seldom fire nor clean my shotgun. I will add some lanolin to the mix for the 1st time when I make another batch. The first gallon has lasted over 7 years so far and I still have another quart or more to use up.

jonk
03-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Directly from Ed's article on his magic brew:
"Acetone is included to provide an aggressive, fast-acting solvent for caked smokeless powder residues. Because acetone readily evaporates and the fumes are harmful in high concentrations, it is recommended that it be left out if the cleaner will be used indoors, in soak tanks or in enclosed spaces lacking forced air ventilation. Containers should be kept tightly closed when not in use. ER is still effective without acetone, but not as "fast-acting."

The acetone might indeed help with plastic fouling, but that isn't why he put it in there. I keep it in, because time is money and in my experience, it does indeed make the formula work faster.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I heated 13 oz of Dextron III gently just so the 1/3 lb of Randyrat Lanolin would melt, it was probably about 140º.
I let that cool back to room temp.
I added 13 oz of K1 and 13 oz of some Old Gum Turpentine I had, instead of the Mineral spirits. Then I added 13 oz of Acetone.
I really like the smell of this stuff.
I cleaned two revolvers, one was quite dirty...It works great.
feels good on the hands to (must be the lanolin)

WHY 13 oz you ask ?
I only had 4 old steel (one pint size) cans with good steel caps to store/use it in.
My post on another thread.
I don't notice any stickiness from the lanolin, But I use this mainly as a cleaner.

Generally I use G96 spray on the outside of a gun...BUT before a Gunshow, I apply an homemade gunoil that's a blend of MobilOne and STP.

I have made two batches of this in 4 years...My SIL likes it and uses plenty :)

w5pv
03-26-2014, 03:51 PM
I used a amount equal to the lanolin of Marvel Mystery Oil, that was because I wans't going to town for lanolin,It was on hand and seem to work ok.

JesterGrin_1
03-26-2014, 03:59 PM
I have a good supply of Lanolin as I purchased it from on online retailer sometime back for lube that never panned out lol. But I have a Bucket of Lanolin lol.

So I made up one batch With the Lanolin and 1 Without. or to say.

1 Part Dextron II or III

1 Part Kerosene

1 Part Mineral Spirits

1 Part Acetone

1 Part Lanolin

And the second batch.

1 Part Dextron II or III

1 Part Kerosene

1 Part Mineral Spirits

1 Part Acetone

As said I like the Acetone as it will loosen carbon much faster than without Acetone.

dikman
03-27-2014, 01:58 AM
One of the first things I made up in my foray into BP shooting. I used pure gum turpentine, low-odour kerosene and ATF. I left out the acetone, as it's not a good thing to get on a nicely finished longrifle stock! I'm still experimenting with other stuff for cleaning, but Ed's Red is hard to beat as a BP cleaner, and does a reasonable job of short-term rust prevention.

sig2009
03-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Acetone will strip the finish and melt any plastic parts!

retread
03-27-2014, 01:42 PM
I use synthetic ATF (Royal Purple is what I used last) and omit the Lanolin for general use. Lanolin prevents rust very well and is superb for use on "safe queens" but makes things VERY sticky in the field.

Hornady One Shot or the Zombie Juice (same thing) is an excellent dry lube for field arms that will not attract dust. Expensive and worth every penny for use one two or three field guns. The rest of mine get Ed's and synthetic 5W-30 oil and where needed, Primrose Armor Plate grease (the green stuff) or Mobil 1 Moly EP #3.

For stubborn carbon, like in cylinder throats, it's tough to beat Sea Foam and synthetic tranny fluid mixed 50/50, GM top engine cleaner, or Mopar aerosol foaming decarbon spray.

Gear

Gear,
Is the Sea Foam you use the oil treatment?

Thanks, Jay