PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Ammo

Bzcraig
03-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Went to Walmart to pick up an oven I bought for ES PC. I RARELY set foot in a Walmart but when I do I always check the ammo cabinet. I don't know if this was an anomaly or not but when I checked while there this morning at 11am the cabinet was almost full, something I haven't seen in a couple of years. Crazy thing was the place wasn't crawling with guys buying it up. Prices were decent, saw Federal XM193 for $10.49, cheapest 5.56 I've seen in awhile. Anyone else noticing this?

338RemUltraMag
03-22-2014, 03:55 PM
I have been finding a bunch of AE 30 round boxes of 223 on strippers for $15 and change, I buy it, pull it down, and reload/form/trim it to 222. Cheapest 222 ammo I have ever seen!

brstevns
03-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Still very lttle in my Walmart. Forget it if any type of rimfire is wanted or 16ga shotshells!!!

DRNurse1
03-22-2014, 04:22 PM
I have a couple of Wally Worlds in my commute. Stopped by one recently and picked up 1500 rounds of 22LR (last 3 x550 round packs on the shelf). 22LR is still REALLY hard to find unless you want the premium target stuff ($2000/ case + shipping).

Frank46
03-22-2014, 11:40 PM
local one down here ONLY has win white box and some of the turkish 7.62x51. Why is it that they only have wwb??. Methinks the gremlins are still hard at work at 7am. Still no 22's. Frank

khmer6
03-23-2014, 12:42 AM
Only 22lr is empty. One Walmart even had 50BMG

BNE
03-23-2014, 12:53 AM
Still no 22LR in my neck of the woods. They do have a few boxxes of most of the other calibers.

bangerjim
03-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Why keep Walmart in the black? At least for ammo.

We are here because we cast and reload.......right? Not to buy pre-loaded ammo!

Why buy crappy commercial ammo when you can reload it as quality stuff and the way you want it? I have not bought commercial ammo in over 6 years, now that I am back into casting again! I have cleaned and stored away all my 22LR guns for future generations! Let them stand in line at Walmart for a lousy box of those stupid little things.

"If you cannot reload it......don't shoot it!" Werks fer me.

bangerjim

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 11:53 AM
I'll second that

mold maker
03-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Well if 22 lr is the only guns you have, your saying put them away, and stop shooting. Do you remember when you didn't have an arsenal of weapons, an inventory of ammo along with all that reloading equipment and supplies. We all started out small. Lets not discourage the new crowd.

6bg6ga
03-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Thats the reason there is no 22lr to be had. Everyone is starting off way to small. We need to jump start them a couple of calibers to free up the 22 ammo.

WILCO
03-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Anyone else noticing this?

Yep. No .22 rimfire though.......

Bzcraig
03-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Why buy crappy commercial ammo when you can reload it as quality stuff and the way you want it? I have not bought commercial ammo in over 6 years, now that I am back into casting again! I have cleaned and stored away all my 22LR guns for future generations! Let them stand in line at Walmart for a lousy box of those stupid little things.

bangerjim

Settle down Jim.........:cbpour: it's just for observational purposes, not to purchase. I use it as a gauge it determining if reloading components might soon follow suit.

bangerjim
03-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Well if 22 lr is the only guns you have, your saying put them away, and stop shooting. Do you remember when you didn't have an arsenal of weapons, an inventory of ammo along with all that reloading equipment and supplies. We all started out small. Lets not discourage the new crowd.

Anyone starting out today should AVOID 22LR guns all together. You can buy very good pistols and long guns that shoot anything but 22's.
If that is the ONLY guns you have, I feel for you! A 22 was NOT my 1st or 2nd or 3rd or 4th gun!!!!!!!! Even back when the things were even at hardware stores and grocery stores!

banger

bangerjim
03-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Settle down Jim.........:cbpour: it's just for observational purposes, not to purchase. I use it as a gauge it determining if reloading components might soon follow suit.

Well......considering 22''s use black powder (sort of) and do NOT use primers......how can their level of stock be of any concern to those of us that DO buy real smoke-less powders and primers? The materials they consume are of no consequence to a real reloader.

banger

Bzcraig
03-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Well......considering 22''s use black powder (sort of) and do NOT use primers......how can their level of stock be of any concern to those of us that DO buy real smoke-less powders and primers? The materials they consume are of no consequence to a real reloader.

banger

Banger, I never mentioned 22's, some others did tho.

bangerjim
03-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Banger, I never mentioned 22's, some others did tho.

Well the thread at that point has meandered around to the subject of 22's and owning/shooting them. I figured we were discussing the evil little guys, not ammo in general.

banger

MrWolf
03-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Since in my lousy state of Jersey our Walmarts don't sell anything gun related, I have managed to stop at a local Dick's Sporting Goods and pick up a brick of Remington's for bout $30. Only reason I got them was I am trying to encourage my wife and daughter to shoot this spring. After I get them hooked then it is time for the reloads :drinks: still one box limit and usually never have them.

Ajax
03-24-2014, 05:36 AM
Jim you should, rethink how you say things. Some of us learned on 22's and feel they are a re great way to get into the sport for young ones and new shooters. Your opinions are just that yours. I for think most shooters would be better off shooting center fire right now if they can. I personally have never found anything as good as a 22 to start new shooters on. They are not loud and up till recently were not expensive. Oh and by the way why shoot center fire when you can shoot muzzleloader and you don't have to worry about brass or cleaning it? I mean if we are just going for cheaper right.
Your smug, only my way works attitude, is what the ignore function is for so welcome to it.

Andy

Dave C.
03-24-2014, 09:52 AM
For the competitive shooter it may be a rule requirement. to shoot 22 LR.

Dave C.

djgoings
03-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Local Walmart ammo cabinet was full of everything except 22lr. They recently dropped the (3) limit on everything but 22's.

bangerjim
03-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Jim you should, rethink how you say things. Some of us learned on 22's and feel they are a re great way to get into the sport for young ones and new shooters. Your opinions are just that yours. I for think most shooters would be better off shooting center fire right now if they can. I personally have never found anything as good as a 22 to start new shooters on. They are not loud and up till recently were not expensive. Oh and by the way why shoot center fire when you can shoot muzzleloader and you don't have to worry about brass or cleaning it? I mean if we are just going for cheaper right.
Your smug, only my way works attitude, is what the ignore function is for so welcome to it.

Andy

I rethought what I said............................and would not change a single letter or word. At least my FULL COMPLETE sentences make sense!.

bangerjim

silverado
03-24-2014, 10:28 PM
I rethought what I said............................and would not change a single letter or word. At least my FULL COMPLETE sentences make sense!.

bangerjim

The most enjoyable gun to shoot for me is a single six... offhand one handed I can shoot that as good or better than anything else I own and it is a kind of therapy for me.

gmsharps
03-25-2014, 12:06 AM
I shoot 22's. Always have always will. I have enough ammo to keep me shooting for anumber of years, Granted I do not go blast through a brick these days and have rationed my usage a bit but i'm still shooting. For my center fires I have primers and powder and a pile of lead to produce my boolits. I've been through the lean times and have prepared for the next one. I've found great deals on guns that folks say well there no ammo so I'm not buying a gun I can't get ammo for. To them I say to each his own and buy when the deals are great. When it all said and done I've usually found some good deals and I'm still shotting and will replinish my stock when the time id right. Just sayin

gmsharps

bangerjim
03-25-2014, 12:22 AM
I load 38spl, 40, 45LC (even 223 & 30-06) with light loads and have ~1000fps...equal to 22LR's. Can load them by the hundreds for less than 22's cost. People that shoot them cannot believe they are shooting "big boy" guns with no kick-back and excellent accuracy. And get the feel of loading "real" cartridges in a gun.

If you can find or still have 22LR's, shoot them. But good luck replacing them in the near to medium future.....while I am happily shooting until my arm is tired with lite-loads in center fires.

But whatever you shoot.....be careful and have fun!

bangerjim

robertbank
03-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Hey guys I obviously had to edit one of the contributors posts due to language. Unfortunately some quoted his posts with the language still in the quote. I did go in and edit the quotes. No reflection certainly on those who did the quoting and please don't feel offended. This forum is, as we all know, a family forum and language more suitable for a stag smoker is just not acceptable here.

Take Care

Bob
ps As an aside a month ago I scored 2x 1,000 bulk .22lr for approx $35/box (Winchester Brand). I see a couple of boxes of Remington Thunderbolts there now for $38/500. 22l;r ammo is very scarce up here, powder has virtually disappeared.

w5pv
03-25-2014, 11:46 AM
If you want 22lr,don't buy any for the next 3 months and you will see plenty at a decent price,this would taske the coperation of 80% of shooters.

reloaderman1
03-25-2014, 01:11 PM

bangerjim
Yeah that !!!
I can load my 45 colt cheaper then I can buy the 22Mag ammo I use for my Cowboy silhouette shoot!

searcher4851
03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Getting back to the OP's question, at the Walmart I usually check, there has been a great increase in the available calibers of ammunition in stock since the panic hit. The quantity of ammunition is still less than pre-panic, but even that is increasing. 22LR is still really scarce though.

robertbank
03-25-2014, 03:58 PM
With copper prices now just under $3.00/lb US maybe we will see ammo prices at least not going up further. Still rather academic when there is none to be had.

Take Care

Bob

silverado
03-25-2014, 10:51 PM
I check the counter every time I go.... not to buy ammo, but to laugh at the prices and think how cheap it is to reload, $12 for TULA 9mm.... I still buy 22 and 12 gauge target loads though

avogunner
03-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Here in VA, similiar to the OP's observation....pretty much full cabinets of ammo except rimfire.

DLCTEX
03-26-2014, 10:46 PM
I was in our Walmart today and the ammo case was filled, but no rimfire. Clerk said they got some in yesterday and sold it all before noon.