PDA

View Full Version : Aperture (Poll)

Tatume
03-22-2014, 06:41 AM
Hello Folks,

Among those of us who use aperture sights for hunting, what is your favorite size, and why? In comments, what conditions do you usually hunt in (open country, deep woods or swamps, etc.)? I'm probably going to post another poll about the sights themselves. Right now I'd like to talk only about aperture diameters.

Take care, Tom

338RemUltraMag
03-22-2014, 07:37 AM
My favorite setup is on my 1954 Winchester M70 30-06, it is a lyman 48 WJS and the aperture is adjustable like a camera shutter. Got the rear sight/aperture from a darn good friend "forty rod ray" now I normally keep all my sights on a medium size hole if they are fixed, I shoot in brush low light and open stuff, I wish I had another 10 of those shutter style apertures.

Tatume
03-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Hi Mag,

That's the adjustable iris, usually made by Merit.

Take care, Tom

btroj
03-22-2014, 07:58 AM
I like a .093 for hunting. Small enough for some precision, big enough to quickly find the front sight in lower light.

I bet most responses will be age based. Younger eyes can use smaller apertures in lower light in manny cases.

Oh to have young eyes again.

kawasakifreak77
03-22-2014, 08:27 AM
.090" here. I'd agree it's a good combination of precision & speed.

Wanting to try a size or two smaller someday though, to compare accuracy.

338RemUltraMag
03-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi Mag,

That's the adjustable iris, usually made by Merit.

Take care, Tom

Are they still being sold as a new item?

44man
03-22-2014, 08:32 AM
Do you mean the fuzzy thing at the rear? Things kind of go the way of the Dodo with age!
Where did my sights go? Have to use a scope or red dot now.

357shooter
03-22-2014, 08:42 AM
.093 works well for all around but my favorite is .070. So I had to vote "other".

I tried .040, and couldn't see much of anything through it. That's a tiny hole! I like ghost rings too. I think it depends some on the front sight.

338RemUltraMag
03-22-2014, 08:53 AM
I won't be ordering 10 but I found em! These will now go on a few of my regular range rifles!

http://www.meritcorporation.com/index-2.html

Pepe Ray
03-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Check out most any of your gun rags. You'll find the Merit sights advertised.
I got my 3 from Brownells. No contest!!
Pepe Ray

Rick Hodges
03-22-2014, 10:04 AM
I have peep sights on only two rifles. A marlin 1895 ssg in 45-70 and a .54 cal. Lyman Plains rifle. Both wear open .125-.150 Ghost type apertures. I hunt in Michigan forests where the shots are usually under 50 yds. They work well for me and give me a sight picture at dawn and dusk that I can't get with smaller apertures.

oger
03-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Agree with 44Man, haven't seen a front site in years.

country gent
03-22-2014, 10:41 AM
I have the nm sights 052 on my m1as and the old garand has been sleeved to that. On the BPCR rifles im ussually around 080 or a little smaller depending on light (Hadley Style adjustable eye cup). The match rifles have adjustable gehmans appetures and are set for a given days light and vision needs. Keep in mind I dont think the merit eye piece is sanctioned for bpcr but the hadleys style are. I made an eye cup up tha used a 10-32 set screw for the appeture. Instead of making a bunch of eye cups I made one with a set of set screws and diffrent size holes.

BruceB
03-22-2014, 11:01 AM
I got my 3 from Brownells. No contest!!
Pepe Ray

Ehen ordering replacement apertures, be VERY CAREFUL that you order the correct thread specs to match or your sight.

There are many different thread patterns used by the various makers with very limited commonality. Brownell's does a good job of cataloging the differences, but you must read the fine print.

The best "field" type aperture sight I've ever used is the "battle sight" found on the #4 Mk1 Enfield. It looks huge to an unknowing eye, but is marvelously fast to use and surprisingly accurate. I don't recall the aperture diameter right now, but it's VERY large.

We do NOT need a small aperture to do good shooting, especially at woods ranges and on large animals. I once put a bullet through a moose's heart from over 200 yards using a #4's battle sight.... no difficulty whatever.

Just Duke
03-22-2014, 11:10 AM
A 30MM tube and at least 2X magnification works best for me.

adrians
03-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Hello, I voted for the adjustable sight ,depending on situation and light conditions it's a handy sight to have although some of my rifles wear Redfield or Lyman peeps with a "medium" (0.093) size hole ,:bigsmyl2:
Have a great weekend.

Doc Highwall
03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
I have used both .093" and .125" depending on which gun they mounted in and how far they are from my eye. I have the Williams Twilight series.

Tatume
03-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Brownells has the Merit adjustable iris but they are out of stock at the moment.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-accessories/4-hunting-sight-discs-prod26066.aspx

Walter Laich
03-22-2014, 12:21 PM
haven't saved enough yet to buy an adjustable one

M-Tecs
03-22-2014, 01:18 PM
.125-.150 Ghost type apertures for me. If I go smaller the light level becomes an issue for early morning or late evening.

MT Gianni
03-22-2014, 04:37 PM
I use as fine as possible for sighting in and hunt with the aperature open, ie nothing screwed into the rear sight. Works for me.

Old Dawg
03-23-2014, 12:51 PM
I like the Merit iris. If the day changes from sunny to dark or cloudy I adjust the sight. If I move from an open field where the shots may be longer and more deserving of a smaller aperture I can adjust the sight. If I move into thick brush or timber where shots are likely to be brief or fleeting I can change the aperture. Besides if there is enough light to see well the smaller sizes sharpen up the focus. I used to carry several sizes with me in case changing conditions warranted a change. Since I discovered the Merit the spare sit at home in a box.

The only thing we are supposed to see when we look through the aperture is the front sight. If we want to admire the scenery at the same time that is what the other eye is for.

For people unfamiliar with apertures take a deprimed case, rifle caliber is best, hold it in front of your eye looking through the neck end. You will immediately notice the image becoming sharper.

fatelvis
03-23-2014, 05:35 PM
The closer the rear sight is to my eye, the smaller it needs to be. On my match M1A I like .0595".

dragon813gt
03-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I use .096 in the field and .040 for range work w/ a Skinner sight. Recently purchases a barrel mount one and it came w/ .125. Haven't had a chance to use that one yet. And I won't for a few months until my rifle comes back looking all pretty.

bbqncigars
03-23-2014, 10:50 PM
I have tang sights with both Hadley and Merit apertures. The Merit wins by a mile. Infinitely adjustable and made in the USA.

TXGunNut
03-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Haven't found one that works for all situations but my old eyes are OK with about .098 and .125 and whatever size I drilled out the peep on my Sharps. I don't try to use a peep in low light bit if I did it would have to be a ghost ring or the insert screwed out and in my pocket.

Smoke4320
03-24-2014, 02:23 PM
30MM in the rear and 40-50MM up front ....connected by a 30 MM Tube
sorry I could not resist.. eyes can't see both sights now

Old School Big Bore
03-24-2014, 02:44 PM
I use as fine as possible for sighting in and hunt with the aperature open, ie nothing screwed into the rear sight. Works for me.
With a post front, as small as I can see the six minute bull for zeroing at whatever distance, big as I can get for critters & up three minutes bcz there ain't no 6 o'clock on an animal...with a bead or aperture front, small for zero, big for huntin'...BTW the aperture front is amazing for hunting. Bout to put tritium big dots on the '92, the Garand, and an AR.

Char-Gar
03-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Which size aperture do you prefer for what?

On the target range, I like the smallest available hole as the smaller the hole the smaller the group.

For field shooting you need larger holes to let in more light and to be able to follow the movement of game. How much larger depends on how much or little light there is. When I hunted with such sights, I carried several different size apertures in my pocket and changed them out as the light required.

Tatume
03-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Which size aperture do you prefer for what?

In the first post I explained that this is in reference to hunting. I also asked folks about conditions, deep woods, open country, etc.

BruceB
03-24-2014, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=Char-Gar;2701619]For field shooting you need larger holes to let in more light and to be able to follow the movement of game.QUOTE

We lived for many years IN THE BUSH (i.e.: away from civilization) of the Northwest Territories.

I have very high regard for the M1/M1A/M14 rifles, all of which I owned in those days (including REAL M-14s, which were on the open market in Canada.... and at low prices). We used these rifles as "house guns" against bears and wolves around our home.

The only failing I find in those rifles is that the diameter of the sight aperture is far too small for field use. I cut my teeth on the #4 Enfield battle sight; maybe that had something to do with my finding fault with the US-issue sights?.

Anyway, it was routine for me to ream the apertures to MUCH larger diameters, and the results more than justified to alteration. The rifles were much faster to use, and it was also FAR easier to see targets (mostly bears in the yard) in poor light. I have actually reamed the aperture as large as 3/16" (.1875) and that pretty much amounted to a "ghost ring". It was also VERY fast and easy to use effectively.

Note that such a change on the M1/M14 sights is very easy to reverse. It only needs the replacement of the aperture itself, about a five-minute/$10 task.

Char-Gar
03-25-2014, 07:46 AM
In the first post I explained that this is in reference to hunting. I also asked folks about conditions, deep woods, open country, etc.

OK...I did read that. It is a question that I can't answer by checking a box on an internet poll. It depends. I have used an aperture sight in numerous field situations. We don't have deep woods in my part of the world but we do have very thick brush where shots are quick and at very close range. We also have places where the shots stretch out of hundreds of yards. We also have weather and time of day light changes.

Again, it just isn't a question where I can check a box.

I have a very strong preference for a receiver mounted peep sight for just about any and all shooting situations, either on the range or in the field. I will take a good peep over a scope for most shooting situations and can shoot groups and kill game with such a sight as far out as folks should be shooting at game. Folks who were raised with scopes tend to under estimate the utility of peep sights and think their use is more limited that it really is. However the size of the aperture really does matter.

If nothing else, this thread engendered a discussion about these types of sights and that is a good thing.

Bruce...I keep a good M1 (Garand) as my house gun, but I worry about drug thugs down here on the border and not wolves and bears, although there may not be all that much difference between the human and the animal after all.

BruceB
03-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Folks who were raised with scopes tend to under estimate the utility of peep sights and think their use is more limited that it really is. QUOTE

AMEN to that!

QUOTE: I keep a good M1 (Garand) as my house gun, but I worry about drug thugs down here on the border and not wolves and bears.

Yep, there truly are times and places wherein a good , reliable, high-firepower rifle fills a need as no other firearm will. Politicians and urban police chiefs refuse to recognize this FACT, but many shooters are well aware of the truth.

Even in gun-phobic Canada, the ordinary citizen was (and is) able to follow the dictates of his circumstances in cases such as ours. Of course, I also LIKE the guns in question...

For a rifle on full-time stand-by duty, note that an aperture sight is IMMUNE to storage dust, and when in use is largely unaffected by atmospheric dust, snow, rain... you name it. Scopes? HAH!

Stay alert and safe, amigo. The Garand will do its part for you, and I'm sure it's a great comfort to have.

rintinglen
03-25-2014, 11:14 AM
In the forests where I hunt, the .125 gives me almost an hour more hunting time, especially on the east side of a mountain when the sun is sinking slowly into the west. IN Broad daylight at sharply defined targets a much smaller aperture will do better. I scoff at the idea of carrying a pocketful of different ones for varying light conditions. That seems like a sure fire way to lose them to me. For hunting, go big or go home...empty handed.

Char-Gar
03-25-2014, 12:33 PM
In the forests where I hunt, the .125 gives me almost an hour more hunting time, especially on the east side of a mountain when the sun is sinking slowly into the west. IN Broad daylight at sharply defined targets a much smaller aperture will do better. I scoff at the idea of carrying a pocketful of different ones for varying light conditions. That seems like a sure fire way to lose them to me. For hunting, go big or go home...empty handed.

Scoff do you now! You only loose them if you are stupid and not paying attention to what is going on around you. If a fellow doesn't lose his rifle, knife, hunting license or keys to his vehicle back on the road, watch, compass, matches or anything else he takes with him hunting, why would he loose a couple of sight apertures secured in his pocket or pack? If a fellow can't go into the woods without losing his stuff, then maybe he should rethink about going there in the first place. I have probably spent as much time in the woods as the next fellow, and have never lost anything there. If you don't take your brain with you, you are a danger to yourself and anybody else you run across.

I scoff at the fool who can't go into the woods and come back with every thing he went in with. Only an idiot would dribble his stuff all over the woods.

Char-Gar
03-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Bruce...Thanks for the good word. I take life down her seriously. Folks are killed by being in the wrong place or else the drug thugs get the wrong house. Many folks are taken, hauled into Mexico and held for ransom. They have not picked on old gringos yet, but I don't want to be the first.

I have the Garand, an Uzi carbine, an Ithaca Police Special shotgun and several handguns at the ready around the home. I have a Beretta 96 that lives in the truck and I never leave home without a Glock 19 on my belt.

The Esso Bees may get me, but it will be after the fight.

HABCAN
03-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Battle sight diameter on issue Lee Enfield No.4 Mk. I........I guess that's a 'Ghost Ring'. My previous M1 and now my new Norinco got drilled out to match. You look THROUGH them not AT them. Your eye will automatically center the front sight post regardless of 'aperture'. "Aim small.....miss small!"