PDA

View Full Version : Personal Update

theperfessor
03-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Just wanted to post an update on my personal situation.

The two wounds on my left foot are finally healing up! The doctor and I had agreed that if I wasn't healing up by the end of January that we would consider amputating my left foot above the ankle. The decayed tissue went all the way to the bone in several places; the doctor explained that it was very difficult for meat tissue to grow over bone and gristle, and that the exposed bone was highly likely to get infected and cause more problems. Finally, during an end-of-January checkup the doctor said the there were tissue buds growing on all the exposed surfaces and that we should concentrate on healing instead of amputation. Since that time there has been slow but steady growth of new tissue. I'm not completely out of the amputation woods, but unless things go really wrong I think it is just a matter of time before I heal completely and get to keep my foot.

It hasn't been completely smooth sailing. About two or three weeks ago I blew out a blood vessel in the back of my left eye and had a significant bleed. I've had several laser eye treatments and injections in the past to deal with this, and had everything under control, but now that they have me on baby aspirin and a generic form of Plavix I bleed a lot easier. The doctors and I are dealing with this and while this causes some long term damage in the short term it gives me blurry orange-tinged vision and headaches. It's like looking through a rust-colored silk hanky. It makes reading almost impossible and discourages much writing/posting and so on. The effects are mostly gone now, although there is some "ghosting".

I've also been fighting shingles for the last three weeks or so. Any time my immune system is compromised my shingles recur, with blisters, itching, and a certain amount of pain and discomfort. The pain is relatively minor and bearable but the itching is as bad as anything you can imagine. This is mostly gone now, I just get an itchy twinge from time to time.

For a while I got really depressed. I've been fighting this for over a year now, I've been in the hospital three times in eight months, had spinal surgery, a femoral artery replacement, and the removal of rotten tissue from my left foot in two places. I've been off work and home confined for almost six months, and have very little face-to-face contact with anyone besides my wife and the visiting home care nurses. As long as I was getting home care my insurance rules confined me to home, I couldn't leave the house except to go to the doctor. After discussing it with my wife (who dresses my wounds twice a day) and my doctor, we decided to cancel the home health care visits. Yesterday I was discharged from the home care service, and I celebrated by driving myself to a local gas station to fill up my truck with gas and get a Whopper at the drive through. It was pretty nice weather and my attitude improved a whole lot just to sit in the parking lot, feeling the breeze blow through my truck cab while I ate a burger.

I am still off work and can't play in my shop yet, so I still don't have any products for sale yet, but I can see the day when I can resume working. Things aren't quite as bleak now as they were a few months ago.

I haven't posted much lately because I haven't been shooting, casting, or loading much in almost a year, and between being depressed and not having anything new or fresh to post I've just scanned the forums and not interacted much. I hope to post more now that I feel better.

Sometime in the future I will have to go in to the hospital overnight for a skin graft to cover the wound on the side of my foot. I will be home confined for a week after that, and will have to restart the home health care for two or three visits. The doctor puts a wound vac on the graft for a week and the nurses have to tend the machine and dress the wound every two days. After that things should get back to normal and I can get back to work.

I appreciate the emails and PMs I've gotten from many folks here expressing concern for my health. It is appreciated. I hope to answer all the emails and PMs I've gotten in the next day or two.

Hawkeye45
03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
It is good to hear from you again. Keep on getting better, my prayers are with you.

Mr. Ed

nicholst55
03-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Glad to hear that you're healing! The prospect of amputation has got to be pretty intimidating. The mental health aspects of being able to get out and about even occasionally are huge, too. I sincerely hope that things continue to improve for you and your wife. You remain in my prayers.

w5pv
03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Prayers sent for your complete recover

2wheelDuke
03-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Keith, good to hear that you're on the mend. You've been through alot there.

I was thinking about you the other day. I traded an old mini dirt bike for a 3 in 1 lathe/drill/mill machine. I know it's a really basic machine, but the price was right. Now I just need to learn to use it.

DougGuy
03-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Well Keith, glad it isn't all bad! Hang in there and keep on not giving up.. Man, a burger.. I would -love- to go sit and eat a burger.. Thank God for small things.

I went 9mos without any teeth b/c of radiation treatments, then I finally saved enough to get a new nice looking set made, and the bottom one already pressed on my gum enough that I have exposed bone in 2-3 places, now I have to let that heal and can't wear them. No burger for me.

Thanks for posting I was wondering about you the other day..

Teddy (punchie)
03-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Praying you can heal up, and that your sprit is high. When sick sometimes depression just happens. Funny thing about depression sometime it is chemical, nothing to do with mood. With all the different chemicals we use, no wander they off set the humnan bodies own systems and the body chemistry. Take Care !! Teddy

Doc Highwall
03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Hope you get better soon Keith.

gray wolf
03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
continued Prayers sent for your complete recover.
My friend it sounds like you have been through a hard time.
But it also sounds like you are going up the recovery ladder, be it one rung at a time it's still up.
Julie & I will not forget you in our prayers, Get well soon.

Sam & Julie

Tenebris vi
03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
I am new to this group and as such, I have absolutely no idea what has happened to you, but I AM very glad to hear that you are on an upward swing, and things are looking better. Hang in there!

BTW - is there a post explaining what happened?

crazy mark
03-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Glad to hear things are looking up for you. Prayers sent your way.

searcher4851
03-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. You have been missed around here.

**oneshot**
03-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Good to hear all is heading in the right direction. I wish I was closer, I'd drive you to the range and let you shoot out of the truck.

snuffy
03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Kieth, I too wondered how you were doing. I looked for recent posts last week, to find you had responded to some threads recently. I should have sent a PM to say whats up?¿ Regrets are hard to stand. I never stop praying for those on here that ask for prayers.

Thanks much for the update.

mold maker
03-21-2014, 04:54 PM
You are an inspiration to all of us. Your never give in, and full steam ahead attitude, make a difference to your improvement, and our respect for you.
Prayers for your speedy improvement, and total healing are being sent.

Pb2au
03-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Excellent to hear from you sir.
Keep up the good fight, eat and rest well. It sounds like your body is rallying and knitting itself up. Take your time, we are all rooting for ya.

firefly1957
03-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Prayers that you get better i have a friend up here going though about the same on his foot do to diabetes they just did his skin grafts a couple weeks ago and he was in the nursing home for a month. This week he was hospitalized with double pneumonia .

Get well soon.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-21-2014, 05:09 PM
What great news! I'm pretty sure than anyone would get depressed going through what you have. Glad to see you are on the other side now. I pray also for your complete healing. It is good to see you on the board again.

OBIII
03-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Keith,
You are obviously heading in the right direction. A short while longer, and you will be back to your usual habits. Best wishes and prayers for your speedy and full recovery. Just remember, there are always people here willing to chat, PM, talk, whatever. Take care.

OB

btroj
03-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Keep the faith Keith.

I am very pleased to hear that you are on the mend and in one piece! Don't try to speed up the recovery, take the time to heal before you try and get back to normal.

I miss your posts here, keep us in the loop, and get well.

arjacobson
03-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Good to hear from you! Hang in there hopefully things will improve for you. I have always looked forward to your posts!

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2014, 06:35 PM
My continued thoughts and prayers go out to you Keith.

I think about you often, when I use tools you made.

dragonrider
03-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Keith I have been wondering how you have been doing, hoping you heal completely and quickly.

Bjornb
03-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Keith,
Every time I pick up and use my Cast Boolits lead hammer I think of The Perfessor. Get well soon!
Bjorn

RED333
03-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Good to hear you are doing better, prays for you and yours.

David2011
03-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Great to hear from you, Keith. My gosh, you've been through a lot. I, too, think of you every time I pick up my Cast Boolits hammer. It's become indispensable around the lathe and milling machine. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Prayers going your way. Take care, our friend!

David

Catshooter
03-21-2014, 09:49 PM
I noticed your absence and had figured that things might a bit rough in the health department.

I'm glad to hear that things are on the up swing!

They're not kidding when they say that if you have your health you've got everything.

God speed Keith.

Cat

MaryB
03-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery, depression when sick happens, part of being cooped up in the house to much. Maybe a trip to the pistol range and shoot from the truck?

DRNurse1
03-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Prayers headed your way for a healthy and speedy recovery. Have your doc's talked about HBO (not home box office, hyperbaric oxygen) as a means of speeding the healing process? It may not be an option in your case but I have seen positive results in other cases.

Using your hammer and anxiously awaiting your 'returning to work' project.

TXGunNut
03-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Been wondering about you lately, so glad to hear you seem to be headed in the right direction. You've been through a lot in the last several months, you're one tough guy and I'll join the list of folks praying for your continued recovery.

AlaskanGuy
03-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Awsome sir..... I told ya you would get better when we chatted a couple months ago.. Yee haw... Seeeee.... There IS light at the end of the tunnel.... Plus, spring is starting to spring... Soon you will be in the shop getting all worked up again....

Blessing on you sir.

Bzcraig
03-22-2014, 12:00 AM
I knew things were difficult but I didn't know just how bad. Thanks for the update Keith, will continue to pray and you keep fighting the good fight!

OeldeWolf
03-22-2014, 02:19 AM
I am glad to hear that you are starting to get better.
I know how frustrating it is to see things you want/need to get done, and just not have the ability to do them. Enough to depress anyone. So don't feel bad that it happened.

I look forward to reading your posts again.

Blacksmith
03-22-2014, 03:26 AM
Keith
When you start to feel down you need to drop us a quick post. After all we are family so if feeling down reach out and we will take your mind off it with some silliness.

Now with all your free time and some itches to scratch here is another for you. For a smart fellow like yourself with your advanced mechanical knowledge and legendary machining skills it should be an easy assignment. Your task is to come up with some refinements to Dr Asperly's classic Aimless Rifle. Since it was originally designed some time ago I am certain that recent advances in materials and processes will have opened the path to many improvements. There is a good collection of historical data in the cast Boolits archives that a custom Google search for Asperly aimless will uncover:
https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum

So we are looking forward to your ideas on improving perfection.

DCM
03-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Very glad to here you are feeling better Keith!!!!

I had a Major medical malfunction in 06 that they were not sure I would recover from that was very depressing also.
Prayers, a lot of help from my Wife and son really made all the difference in the world.
They made the long hard road to recovery worth every step.
God and my wife got me back to ~98% of what I used to be. Sure beats the alternative!

We will keep you in our prayers.

Wayne Smith
03-22-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm very glad to hear no amputation, Keith! Hang in there and find a place to recover that is close to an open window. As you noticed there is healing in clean fresh air and sunshine. If you have a porch and are able consider using it. Eat solidly and well, you will need the protein to rebuild the muscles.

I will continue to pray for your recovery.

fivegunner
03-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Keith Glad to hear of your improvement, I too think about you, and what I learend from your postings when I am casting boolits. Hope you get well fast. :bigsmyl2:

jcwit
03-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Keith, Wishing you only the best and a Fast and complete recovery. Good to hear Issues are getting better.

Just Duke
03-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I am recovering from surgery. I hope to reopen my business in 2014. Sorry I can't help anybody at this point. I have no inventory of finished goods to sell.

Hey guys maybe we can help out. I have one of the lube sizer nut removal tools and it works great. Can someone post a link back to P's product thread?

Just Duke
03-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Great to hear from you, Keith. My gosh, you've been through a lot. I, too, think of you every time I pick up my Cast Boolits hammer.

Ditto but with my lube sizer tool.

Just Duke
03-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Do you still have my phone number?

Blacksmith
03-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Hey guys maybe we can help out. I have one of the lube sizer nut removal tools and it works great. Can someone post a link back to P's product thread?

I am awaiting Keith reopening his business and have a list of things I will order.

km101
03-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Keith,

Glad to hear that you are improving. You have been missed! We need people with your talents, information and ability to innovate on this forum. Hope that you can continue your improvement and become active again soon.

I think of you everytime I use my "nut removal tool" on my lubesizer. It is such a handy and innovative tool.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ken

dbosman
03-22-2014, 01:46 PM
This may be an odd thank you.
I thank you for posting your experiences. It's a reminder to some of us of what can happen to any of us.
Please keep getting better.
Selfishly, as I'm going to need some of your lathe work.

nicholst55
03-22-2014, 02:12 PM
I am new to this group and as such, I have absolutely no idea what has happened to you, but I AM very glad to hear that you are on an upward swing, and things are looking better. Hang in there!

BTW - is there a post explaining what happened?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?224065-Back-in-hospital

waynem34
03-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Salut prayers sent.

bear67
03-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you Keith. Keep your head up and paddle hard--I believe the good Lord never gives more than we can handle. May your foot keep healing and you finish the fight on top.

theperfessor
03-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for the prayers and good wishes. I hope I don't come across as some kind of a whiner or drama queen when I post about the bumps in my life's road. I know a lot of folks have had far worse things happen to them, and I try to keep that in mind as a way to keep a positive attitude. I will admit that I have a new understanding of the mindset that develops in shut-ins and those that MUST depend on others for their basic care.

As I gathered together my tax info I compiled a list of the machined items I have made (or have in development) in the last several years. Below are the items from the list that are casting/reloading related and that I've marketed primarily through this site:

Regular production items
1. Flat face and cup face (conformal) nose punches for Lyman/RCBS lubers
2. Flat face and cup face (conformal) nose punches for Saeco lubers
3. Press mounted nose first sizer sets
4. Die retention nut drivers for Lyman 450/4500 lubers (7/8”)
5. Die retention nut drivers for RCBS lubers (15/16”)
6. Saeco to Lyman/RCBS nose punch adapters
7. Blank sizer dies for Lyman/RCBS presses
8. Custom threaded press adapters

Site/Ken benefit items
9. 2-lb lead head hammers w/engraved handles
10. 5-lb lead head hammers w/engraved handles

Under Development
11. Blank sizer dies for Saeco presses (have CNC code ready, need to run first batch and debug)
12. Universal bullet seating dies/uses Lyman/RCBS nose punches (CAD design stage)
13. Star nose punches and conformal between-bullet spacers used to prevent nose damage (almost ready to beta test sample parts)

As I continue to heal up I will do a lot of planning and documenting. I want to make sure I have complete drawings of every standard production item. I want to have a folder for each item with drawings, production notes, machine code, material specs, etc. If I ever have to have somebody else make the parts I want them to have all the information necessary.

I have a lot of partially completed stuff in process, so it won't take long after I'm well to get a few things ready for sale. I'm going to grab my crutches and head out to the shop tomorrow and try to inventory what I have and get an idea of what needs to be done. I also have some tooling that I need to buy or design/build, so while I'm out there I'll think about that stuff too.

I know it will be three to six more months before I will be released to resume work, but I have plenty of things to do until then. I still plan to make Fall 2014/Spring 2015 my retirement year so after early May 2015 I will be a free man. I still plan to buy a Haas TM1 CNC mill when I retire. I can't imagine not being able to make at least a modest income with that and my other equipment and have a good time doing it. I really enjoy the whole experience of producing small runs of useful products for people that can appreciate owning and using them.

Now to exercise some patience, which will be a lot easier now that I can at least get out of the house and take the wife to supper. Once again thanks to all for your good will.

Artful
03-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Sounds like an excellent plan - now feel the breeze and remember spring and summer bring new growth.

DLCTEX
03-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Good to hear of you foot on the mend, Keith! I am keeping you on my prayer list.

kenyerian
03-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Hang in there . I had to have a skin graft on my left foot several years ago. It saved it and I'm still going strong. I do manage my diabetes much more carefully now. I'm sure you will be back in your shop in no time. Sure hope they find a cure for it .

MtGun44
03-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Very pleased to hear that the foot is still on and is healing. I was really almost afraid
to open the thread - fearing that you would be announcing the amputation.

Hang in there and get out as much as you can. Being cooped up is bad for a person
and getting out is a real help.

Best wishes,

Bill

Catshooter
03-22-2014, 11:11 PM
You know Keith just today I had to repair an older Ideal mould. Thought of you. The mould needed a 10 x 36 x 1/8th inch set screw and as you know them ain't just sittin' on every shelf. Them and the 10 x 36 sprue plate screw are two things that would be handy to have.

I bet there also some here who could use a 10 x 36 taps & dies. I know of a supplier who from time to time has the tap in stock but they've never had the die available and I could really use one. Easy to make with CNC.

I bet there's some here as could use some RCBS LAM 1 & 2 sizing die lock nut. RCBS doesn't have them anymore and I'd like one!

I'd also like a lid for my Lee 10 pound pot.

Keep healing, we need you back! :)

Cat

koehn,jim
03-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Glad to hear things are getting better will say a prayer for you.

gbrown
03-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Just glad to hear from you and that the news is positive. Keep the faith and stay strong. Trust in God and your physicians. All I can say. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

lylejb
03-23-2014, 09:34 PM
I was thinking about you the other day, glad to hear some good news.

You've got it on the run now, keep at it.

When your ready, I'll have an order for you............on your time. Don't rush, but get well soon.