PDA

View Full Version : Am I Bass Ackwards?

Blanco
03-21-2014, 10:06 AM
I assume the answer to this question is ...whatever works for you !
in most pictures of other peoples molds the sprue lever and handles are on the same end. My handles are on opposite ends ( I have a few Lee 6 Bangers)
I like to take the wood handle off the cam lever and use my "Bully " stick to smack the lever and cut the sprue.
I guess it just works better for me that way, but is there any specific reasons everyone else is wrong?

captaint
03-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Maybe I'm anal, but I don't like to hit my molds to open the sprue plate. I actually like the Lee handle for the opener. Gotta keep your hands off at the wrong time, though. Mike

dudel
03-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Personally, given a choice to smack the mould or not, I would choose not to. The Lee 6 cav sprue plate works great without hitting it.

But, as you say, whatever works for you.

Jack Stanley
03-21-2014, 10:16 AM
That Handle is actually the one thing about LEE stuff I wish a few other makers work copy and improve on .

Jack

Bohica793
03-21-2014, 10:20 AM
I have found that when my mold and melt are at the proper temperature, I can open the sprue with just my gloved hand. If I have to strike the sprue, usually the mold is too cool.

geargnasher
03-21-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm quite certain you aren't Bass Ackwards, he was a founding member here. That should clear up any identity crisis :razz:

Gear

Blanco
03-21-2014, 10:30 AM
I guess "Smack" was the improper verbage.
Yes, when the mold is up to temperature all it takes is a nudge. I suppose the reasoning for going the other way is the handle seems to be in my way when it's over my hands. It also makes it easier to tap the hinge bolt to drop the stickers.

geargnasher
03-21-2014, 10:35 AM
There is no "wrong" way if it gives you good results. Lots of people mount Mihec and Accurate moulds with the sprue plate tab facing them and the pivot end pointing away, I never understood that one myself, but whatever works. Good to have options, isn't it?

Gear

L1A1Rocker
03-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I assume the answer to this question is ...whatever works for you !
in most pictures of other peoples molds the sprue lever and handles are on the same end. My handles are on opposite ends ( I have a few Lee 6 Bangers)
I like to take the wood handle off the cam lever and use my "Bully " stick to smack the lever and cut the sprue.
I guess it just works better for me that way, but is there any specific reasons everyone else is wrong?

That's how I set mine up. Why? Because that's how I saw it in a video on how to operate cramer hollow point molds.

But, as others have said. Try to avoid contacting any part of the mold with a striker. You should be able to cut the sprew with just a gloved hand.

Blanco
03-21-2014, 11:03 AM
I have never been accused of doing things the right way the first time or of being conventional. Many times to my dis-advantage.
I am usually the one that comes up with an un-convetional solution or answer to everyone elses un solvable problems. My real world paycheck job has me troubleshooting problems every day. I explained my logic on a problem I solved the other day to a co-worker. I could see by the look on his face he was completely befuddled by my explanation. After he had processed my information for 2 days he came back and told me that was the first time anyone had ever explained something in a way he didn't understand but it still worked

dondiego
03-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Are you left handed Blanco? I am, and I have always approached problems from an unconventional (to those in their wrong mind) direction............but then, I am in my right mind now aren't I?

brotherdarrell
03-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Are you bass ackward?

After cutting your sprue do you rotate your mold sprue plate down when you drop your boolits?

dondiego
03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
No, I am amphibious!

hickfu
03-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Other then my Lee molds which have the weird handle on them, My sprue plates fact outwards so I can easily pop them open with my hand and drop the boolits.... I tried it with the sprue plate in like on the lee molds, just didnt feel natural..

Doc

Cherokee
03-21-2014, 01:08 PM
I use the sprue lever like it comes from the factory, wood facing me, and I think it's great. I wish other mold makers would do likewise. If your way works for you, great.

Blanco
03-21-2014, 01:10 PM
No, I am amphibious!

This ^

snuffy
03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Yes you are,,,--- as far as I'm concerned. :oops:[smilie=l: Maybe it's because the first time I cast , I put the sprue plate hinge away from me. Oriented so the tab was towards the back, the plate is swung forward, leaving the opened plate in front.

Until recently, I used a knocker stick to open all molds except the lee cam sprue plates. After reading how some used a gloved hand to swing it open, I tried it. I always thought I would get a hot hand for my trouble, but not so. (I have some welders gloves, being a former welder helps). I muttered apologies to all my old molds for beating on them! :-P It has to help them last longer.

I may just try to oreint the mold 180 degrees to see if I may like it better. It just never occurred to me there was a different way?¿

stephenj
03-21-2014, 02:46 PM
I use my 6 cavity lee molds with the handle out .
But i am a lefty and i ladle pour ... just easier for me with it out

btroj
03-21-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm quite certain you aren't Bass Ackwards, he was a founding member here. That should clear up any identity crisis :razz:

Gear

Same thing I was thinking

Bjornb
03-21-2014, 04:45 PM
That Handle is actually the one thing about LEE stuff I wish a few other makers work copy and improve on .

Jack

Red River Rick makes a high quality handle/sprue plate for the 4-cav Lyman moulds. I've got one and I move it from mould to mould. Works great.

Springfield
03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
I cut the LEE sprue plate wooden handle in half to get it out of my way. Since I like to cut the sprues on the hot side there is still plenty of leverage to cut sprues.

Blanco
03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
I thought about it and maybe I should make these additions.
I hold the mold in my left hand / ladle pour with my right. I actually wait for about 10 seconds then cut the sprue with my right hand. On left I slip fingers on both sides of the right handle and open the mold. I drop quench in a small bucket of water and tap hinge bolt with "bully" stick to disloge any stickers.

HeavyMetal
03-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Being a lefty I let the sprue Handle on the Lee 6 banger stay where it is.

I also use a two bottom pour pots, located one above the other, and two Lee 6 bangers at a time!

A hot plate with a mold holder on it gets the rotation duty working very well, Ladle casting has it's place, do a lot of it with some old Lyman HP molds I have, but the Lee 6 banger was made for production and I use it for just that purpose, LOL!

As for Red River Ricks Lee style sprue plates, man are they great! got two one on a 429421 4 banger the other on a 357 Lyman 4 banger get the ones with the H&G type sprue **** cut in them!

I use these in rotation as well and they make great boolits