PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Swage Heads

Joel Chavez
12-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I currently cast for my 30cal. rifles, 38/357, 45acp and would like to swage for a 223cal Handi I'm getting very soon. I reload with a Lee Classic Turret and decap/resize with a RCBS pardner. What would I need to swage for the 223cal.? Do I need the expensive stuff or can I get decent results with less expensive gear? Thanks guys. Later.

Buckshot
12-28-2007, 05:42 AM
I currently cast for my 30cal. rifles, 38/357, 45acp and would like to swage for a 223cal Handi I'm getting very soon. I reload with a Lee Classic Turret and decap/resize with a RCBS pardner. What would I need to swage for the 223cal.? Do I need the expensive stuff or can I get decent results with less expensive gear? Thanks guys. Later.

.............For swaging lead 22's you can use a Rockchucker or similar type press.

............Buckshot

Joel Chavez
12-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks Buckshot. I'll be absorbing more info. and try to get the idea down before I venture on. Thanks again. Later.

454PB
12-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I use my old RCBS Rockchucker, but I also own a Lee Classic Turret. I think the Lee press has plenty of power, although I haven't tried it yet.

Swagerman
12-30-2007, 07:31 PM
The Lee Classic press is perfect for swaging, but you'll need to alter the shellholder by making it shorter.

This is for a break release point to occur in the swaging die when bullet is properly swaged. Otherwise you are only ramming the bullet up into the swage die until the bullet is stopped against the ejector stems highest height travel.

I use the Herter's shellholders, modified to have nose and base punches, and they are inserted through the Herter's shellholder primer hole, threaded and nut attached holds it inplace.

In my pictures of this stuff you'll see a device mounted on the Lee Classic press. This is an automatic bullet ejector that pushes the bullet back out of the swage die after its been rammed up into it...sure beats pounding the top of the die with a hammer mallet.

If you can manage the machinest work, or get a machinest to help you make this a workable swaging setup, you'll have something to swage bullets with ease.

If you want to see some pictures, contact me at bigcaddy@centurytel.net and will send what I have by email.

Jim