PDA

View Full Version : Storage?

JMiller613
03-20-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm just starting to cast 9mm and I'm curious about storage.

Is it better to just mold the boolit and store it or should I size and lube and then put away for storage?

I plan to mold in bigger batches than I actually load up so I'm just curious.

Thanks

Echo
03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
My method is to mould, wait a while, size & loob, then stack nicely in boxes small enough so as to make handling them no chore. 45ACP ammo boxes work pretty well, as do other pistol ammo boxes, and I have some small boxes I bought on eBay that also work well.

shooter93
03-20-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm pretty much with Echo...I size and lube when I'm ready to load. but I do think the best way to store powder, primers and bullets is in loaded ammo......smiles.

tazman
03-20-2014, 09:02 PM
I tend to size and lube soon after casting. When I get ready to load I don't want to have sizing/lubing steps to complete first.

bangerjim
03-20-2014, 09:57 PM
I size right after casting. Throw in a Tupperware box....maybe for up to 3 weeks.

Later, I ESPC or DT them and size again. Then throw them in a Ziploc bag in the same Tupperware box with the un powder coated ones!

PC is a permanent coating that lasts............... pretty much forever!!! Dirt will not stick to it. Heat will not melt it. So you can pretty much store them in dirt if you wish!!!!! Sure beats the old lube grease I used to use and worry about getting contaminated with dust & dirt and dripping off in the AZ heat. (They work just as well in COLD too)

bangerjim

TXGunNut
03-20-2014, 10:05 PM
I cast, lube, size & relube (if TL) within a week or two of casting. I store the finished product in those handy coffee containers...or in cartridges, of course. ;-)

Shiloh
03-21-2014, 01:36 AM
Dollar store containers. Garage sale containers are cheaper. Empty diced tomato cans are effective too.

Shiloh

gmsharps
03-21-2014, 01:40 AM
Half gallon milk containers work also

gmsharps

FISH4BUGS
03-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I tend to cast in manic sessions. I will cast 3000-4000 or more of one bullet, and store them in coffee cans with lids. Then I'll size and lube thousands at a time and back into the cans they go.
Once I get it set up, I will cast, size and lube (and reload) pretty much all the bullets I have. I am sitting on 5000 loaded 9mm right now.
Next in line is 3000 38's. I have them all cast now in a H&G 51. Sizing and lubing is next.
...but when you shoot machine guns, 5000 of anything really isn't all that much. 5 trips to the range is about it.

bobthenailer
03-21-2014, 12:10 PM
I size and lube right after my casting session as i water drop my boolets from the mould, i also use a hard lube so the lube stays in the lube grove for bulk storage in 2.5 gallon buckets with a lid , i have about 40 to 50,000 on the shelf

trixter
03-21-2014, 12:20 PM
I cast, let cool and store for at least 3 weeks, then size and lube and store in Costco nut jars. Then reload and store in quart storage bags in 100 round lots.

Cherokee
03-21-2014, 01:26 PM
I cast, then size & lube in Star a week or so later. Storage is in 4x4 or 4x6 cardboard boxes. They are ready when I'm ready to load.

rockshooter
03-21-2014, 09:20 PM
I cast mostly in the cool winter months and put the bullets in cottage cheese containers on a shelf. I size/lube them as needed in the warmer months. It's too hot to cast here in the summer.
Loren

wv109323
03-21-2014, 10:06 PM
I cast and then wait til I am going to load to lube the bullets. The lubed bullets stick together and some of the lube may be displaced during storage.

41mag
03-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I usually pour at least a pot or so of anything I shoot regularly, so it might depend on what size boolit as to how many I have on hand at one time. I usually wait until I am ready to load before I size and lube, so I store them in cardboard boxes, plastic nut jugs, or zip lock freezer bags until ready.

I always include the date, the alloy, the temp I poured them at, and if I remember I try and do a BHN check on them about two weeks after pouring as a standard to check them against later on. I only found this necessary on blended alloys as some of the boolits I had poured worked great after two to three weeks, but several months later leaded the heck out of my barrel for no apparent reason. Found out they had softened up a bit and didn't like being driven at that pressure anymore. Lesson learned.

dbosman
03-22-2014, 02:27 PM
So, of course the answer to the question is - Yes.

zuke
03-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Cast ,put in a plastic bag inside what ever container they fit in. Last batch of cast was LEE 314 TC TL 90gr plinking boolit's

DHurtig
03-23-2014, 10:54 AM
I like heavy clear plastic containers. I store my bullets under my bench and the plastic bottoms slide nicely on the carpet. It's nice to see what is inside the containers without having to open each one. I use the quart size mayonnaise jars, peanut butter jars and the big heavy plastic jars that Target puts their snacks and nuts in. My bullets are arranged under the bench with .22's on the left and then going up in caliber as you go to the right.

I came up with this on the computer and print them on heavy card stock. I have a number of bullets that look very similar and these cards save a lot of time guessing and having to weigh bullets to see what I've got.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/Picture394_zpsf1bb401b.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/c_latrans/media/Picture394_zpsf1bb401b.jpg.html)

pdawg_shooter
03-23-2014, 10:57 AM
I cast, size, paper patch and lube, then store in zip-lock freezer bags.

Walter Laich
03-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Sounds like whatever will work for you is the way to go.

zuke
03-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I cast, size, paper patch and lube, then store in zip-lock freezer bags.

Styrofoam bullet tray's keep them more intact