PDA

View Full Version : What would happen?

Rottweiler
12-27-2007, 12:29 PM
If I was to load and shoot some cast boolits that are designed for a gas check without having the gas check on them?

I'm thinking not much of anything different than with a gas check unless I'm driving them real fast.

Anybody tried this?

felix
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Boat tail boolits do not work good unless velocity kept low. ... felix

S.R.Custom
12-27-2007, 01:05 PM
It would be like shooting a heeled bullet, a design which is not known particularly for its match grade accuracy. But as soon as I say that, someone here will post that he knows some guy who won Camp Perry with just such a bullet.

In other words, try it and see... and report back with your findings. :-D

looseprojectile
12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Need to know a few things;
Rifle, pistol, revolver, boolit length, hardness, lube, velocity and such. These guys here, collectively, know it all. We are here to help!
To answer your question, I do.

Razor
12-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I tried a GC boolit w/o the GC a few days ago and was NOT impressed..
.303 Brit.... 50 yds
5 Rd string, 3 in 1.5", 1 God-knows-where, and 1 sideways...:groner:

Razor

AlaskaMike
12-27-2007, 04:54 PM
My uncle did this with a 160 grain .38 bullet in his plinking ammo all the time back in the 60's. Like was already said, I doubt it'll give match grade accuracy but it'll probably be acceptable for plinking in handguns. If you're talking rifles, you'll probably be disappointed.

Mike

Ricochet
12-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm using checkless soup cans in my Nagant revolvers. Just started. Early indications are that they're as accurate as I'm capable of shooting the thing. (Not saying much.)

RU shooter
12-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Thats what I shoot 75% of the time . Granted these are low vel. loads 900-1200fps range but accuracy can be very good out to 100M Depends on your rifle I guess too but I know a 2 groove 03A3 and K31 that dont mind a missing gas check one bit!

454PB
12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
As the others have said, you won't know until you try it. My experience has been that handgun boolits work OK without a GC, as long as pressure and velocity are held down to about 75% of full throttle. However, some designs just flat won't shoot well without the check. For rifles, I can't say, all my rifle boolits wear checks.

38 Super Auto
12-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Would a GC bullet w/o GC cause problems in most lube sizers?

grumpy one
12-27-2007, 07:08 PM
I can't currently think of any reason the lubesizer would object to not having a gas check. There are two points you might watch however. First, obviously you are going to end up with bullet lube where the gas check should have been and that lube is going to be in contact with the powder. Most lubes contain hydrocarbons, which are not good for powder and are especially bad for primers.

The second issue is that some lubesizers are prone to getting lube underneath the bullet base, and you then have to wipe it off for the reason stated in the previous point. The gas check probably helps to minimize this problem by acting as a seal. Having in effect a lube groove right up against the bullet base instead of a seal keeping it away from there, is going to the opposite extreme. It is likely to promote build-up of lube below the bullet base. You can laboriously clean it up after each bullet is sized, but that gets old pretty quickly.

S.R.Custom
12-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Would a GC bullet w/o GC cause problems in most lube sizers?

Depends. The latest Lyman sizing dies only have two rows of holes in the pistol calibers. It's possible to adjust the ram so the bullet doesn't get lube at the base.

BOOM BOOM
12-27-2007, 09:06 PM
HI,
I have done it in both a rifle & pistol.
Got plinking ammo. Keep vel. down around 1000'/s.

freedom475
12-27-2007, 09:15 PM
The little paper that came with my RCBS mould makes it sound like it is totally optional to add the GC or not