PDA

View Full Version : To who ever said you get what you pay for.....

hickfu
03-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Boy were they right on!!! I have purchased Lee molds and Accurate molds and had pretty great results from each...But, I tried out my new NOE mold today.... From the VERY FIRST cast to the last cast, the boolits were perfect! out of 1500 boolits I tossed back 5 and I grabbed them while dropping because I new I screwed up and didnt get the cavity filled right (I went too fast a few times and got sloppy)

The pins that NOE uses are far superior to the pins used by other manufactures in my opinion. They hold the mold perfectly aligned and I didnt have to fight to get it closed perfectly like the other molds I have.

From this time on I will never purchase a mold from anyone but NOE because of the old saying... You get what you pay for!!!
I only wish I had the money to be able to throw away every other mold I have and buy NOE made ones.

Doc

35 shooter
03-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Doc, i agree, it's noe from now on for me. I now know how it feels to be spoiled. I only have one so far...360 200 fngc (rcbs clone) and man does it shoot in the whelen. Now i want to try the 358009 300 gr. when they get some more in stock......can't wait! I've never cast boolits so fast from a two cavity mould, piles boolits up like a 3 or 4 cavity.

geargnasher
03-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Has NOE changed the pin design?

Gear

osteodoc08
03-19-2014, 11:50 PM
I can drain my Lee 20# pot in no time with my 413230 NOE mold. Drops em like rain. If only I could work my LAM2 as fast.....

waco
03-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Has NOE changed the pin design?

Gear

Not to my knowledge.

hickfu
03-20-2014, 12:16 AM
Doc, i agree, it's noe from now on for me. I now know how it feels to be spoiled. I only have one so far...360 200 fngc (rcbs clone) and man does it shoot in the whelen. Now i want to try the 358009 300 gr. when they get some more in stock......can't wait! I've never cast boolits so fast from a two cavity mould, piles boolits up like a 3 or 4 cavity.

That is the mold I have... Its a RCBS 35-200 clone and from looking at the boolit I like it better then the RCBS... Bigger meplat on the NOE version. This is my first NOE mold but the pins are straight walled, others look like truncated cone pins. I have had issues with molds not closing all the way and lead getting between the blocks and then into the holes that the pins go it and boy is that a PITA to clean out and made right.... This NOE closed perfectly and there was no lead between the blocks, It was just a pleasure to use this mold after fighting with other molds time and time again.

Doc

03-20-2014, 08:25 AM
You guys like NOE better than Accurate?

shredder
03-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Hee Hee! I posted something just like this when I got my NOE mould. Good on ya brother! Instant casting technique upgrade. My mould is the 35-200-FN as well. Not going to be my last one.

jonp
03-20-2014, 09:04 AM
I must be an anomaly. I have had no issues with my Lee molds. They drop fine as is right out of the box

Blammer
03-20-2014, 09:09 AM
for those that like the 358009, you may want to give this a go if it's on your wish list. :)

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=503

hickfu
03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
I must be an anomaly. I have had no issues with my Lee molds. They drop fine as is right out of the box

Jonp, Im not saying I dont like Lee and Accurate... Im just saying that after casting for years with them and then just one casting session with the NOE, I want more NOE molds!!

for those that like the 358009, you may want to give this a go if it's on your wish list. :)

Oh, I want that! Does anyone know if that will fit a 35 Remington? I just got mine so havent figured out what fits in it yet. That one would be perfect to try a soft nose boolit... drop a little soft lead ball into the nose before filling in with regular alloy...hmmm

Doc

Love Life
03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
NOE moulds are awesome. They just work and cast very nice bullets.

geargnasher
03-20-2014, 01:43 PM
You guys like NOE better than Accurate?

I'm scratching my head over that one, too.

Gear

tomme boy
03-20-2014, 02:12 PM
I don't have anything bad to say about NOE molds. But Accurate Molds are far superior than others. Especially LEE????? I don't get that one. Lee are OK at best. I have had about 15 Accurate molds and everyone of them have been perfect. Can't say that about ANY other maker here on this board. Any I mean ANY.

geargnasher
03-20-2014, 02:49 PM
I actually have close to 30 Lee moulds, including some older group-buy moulds, and have been 100% satisfied with them except for one six-cavity that needed some filing/peening to get the blocks to align perfectly at the top, but it's one of my favorites now. I lube them and baby them and they work very, very well, and really haven't ever had to do any "leementing" to them at all, just clean, lube, and cast. I know they made plenty of lemons, I've just been lucky I guess, and I'm VERY picky about mould function and cavity size. I have close to ten Accurate moulds and find them flawless except needing to "break" the top insides of the blocks with a file because his sprue plates fit so well that they are air-tight. I'm 0-for-2 with NOE and there won't be a third. I'm also 1-for-3 with Mihec, he won't be getting any more of my business either, and am now 0-for-13 with Lyman since 2007 (all sold, traded, re-machined, or thrown away), but about 95% on moulds made before then. RCBS moulds have been 100% satisfactory, but I only have two of them. I guess this makes me quite the exception.

Gear

hickfu
03-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Well I hope I just didnt get the ultra awesome mold for my first one and wont get another one like it.... Like I said I love my Accurate molds but for some reason they let lead seep between the blocks and I look at the mold through my over head light before each cast to make sure they are together ( I had to start doing this with Accurate molds ) and even when I made sure no light was coming through, after a while I would begin to see light and it just kept getting worse and I started to get fins. I had to stop casting and open the mold to try and get all of the lead out and after that the lead got into the hole where the pin goes and it would stop the mold from closing properly.

With this NOE mold I did my normal routine with looking through it at the over head light but after a while I stopped doing it because it was casting perfectly.

Doc

robroy
03-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Man I wish I'd known about the 360230 Thor group buy. I like the mold I got. It drops great boolits but I wanted an extra 15 or 20 grains. I've got 2 NOEs and love em.

Land Owner
03-20-2014, 10:48 PM
I only wish I had the money to be able to throw away every other mold I have and buy NOE made ones.

Doc

Doc,

I have a serious proposal for you. I have conscienciously purchased less expensive moulds to learn to cast. I have neither the money nor the stomach for damaging good moulds before I learn to crawl, then walk, the Lead Line. If you are interested, I will purchase some of your old moulds, so I can advance my learning curve, and you can purchase new NOE moulds.

Interested? Please PM me.

LO

Djones
03-20-2014, 11:54 PM
I have the 360318 NOE 5 cavity. I will try it in my marlin 336 35 and let you know.

These are for my 358 win
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt124/duckwhackercmon/88D4C61B-1646-42C5-B888-5459A82B1A08.jpg (http://s604.photobucket.com/user/duckwhackercmon/media/88D4C61B-1646-42C5-B888-5459A82B1A08.jpg.html)

Here is what three hours with my 10# lee, three NOE molds, one ranchdog lee mold and 40 # of alloy gets you.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt124/duckwhackercmon/394C1DE9-99A6-4CCB-B9AB-67DF56C98268.jpg (http://s604.photobucket.com/user/duckwhackercmon/media/394C1DE9-99A6-4CCB-B9AB-67DF56C98268.jpg.html)

NOE is where I mold shop.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2014, 12:26 AM
I actually have close to 30 Lee moulds, including some older group-buy moulds, and have been 100% satisfied with them except for one six-cavity that needed some filing/peening to get the blocks to align perfectly at the top, but it's one of my favorites now. I lube them and baby them and they work very, very well, and really haven't ever had to do any "leementing" to them at all, just clean, lube, and cast. I know they made plenty of lemons, I've just been lucky I guess, and I'm VERY picky about mould function and cavity size. I have close to ten Accurate moulds and find them flawless except needing to "break" the top insides of the blocks with a file because his sprue plates fit so well that they are air-tight. I'm 0-for-2 with NOE and there won't be a third. I'm also 1-for-3 with Mihec, he won't be getting any more of my business either, and am now 0-for-13 with Lyman since 2007 (all sold, traded, re-machined, or thrown away), but about 95% on moulds made before then. RCBS moulds have been 100% satisfactory, but I only have two of them. I guess this makes me quite the exception.
Gear
Gear,
you must have used up all your LUCK on Lee molds, to get undesirable results from NOE and Mihec :) lol

I have one Accurate mold...and yes it's perfect.
I have many NOE molds and a few from Mihec. I love those all, most of them are perfect.

I have maybe 50 or so Lee molds...I can't stop buying them,
They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
Yep there are plenty that are clinker's, but then there are some that are PERFECT.
AND I just ordered another one today. The 356-120 TC. I do already have one, but it's a bevel base and I wish it wasn't...I hear that another member just ordered one from Midway and he proclaimed it was a flat base...I just hope the one I get is the same...and I hope it drops a six boolits at .357 with my alloy, ...Wish me Luck.

cbrick
03-21-2014, 08:06 AM

You need to start buying lottery tickets.

Rick

shredder
03-21-2014, 08:48 AM

Me too. However if you have not yet tried an NOE mould you are in for a susprise. This is not meant ot denigrate Lee in any way, I love my Lee moulds. It's like saying "my chev is a nice car never gave me any trouble", and I say " mine too, want to drive my ferrari?"

jonp
03-21-2014, 09:02 AM
You need to start buying lottery tickets.

Rick
I do. I've won $7 twice. I have far, far less experience than just about everyone else on this board which is why I am here learning about casting. All I can say is that I now have 4 Lee molds and 1 Lyman mold. 3 of the Lee's are new in the box and 1 is used from a member here. All seem to drop just fine and do not do better or worse than the Lyman mold. 100% can not be by accident.

blikseme300
03-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Me too. However if you have not yet tried an NOE mould you are in for a susprise. This is not meant ot denigrate Lee in any way, I love my Lee moulds. It's like saying "my chev is a nice car never gave me any trouble", and I say " mine too, want to drive my ferrari?"

I have an addiction for anything CB related so even buy molds for calibers I don't yet have! Many a mold that gave me the fits worked very well one I had figured out the peculiarities. Some need tweaking or fixing but all will eventually produce good boolits. Some of the custom mold makers do create gems and need minimal work to make them perform well. NOE is up there with the great mold makers and their product requires none or very little tweaking to run well.

An older gent taught me a valuable lesson years ago about the difference between what you pay and get. They are not necessarily related.

TXGunNut
04-13-2014, 05:50 PM

That's odd, I was just looking at that mould on the NOE site. I don't want to go as heavy as the 358009 but the 360318 popped up while I was perusing his site.