PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 25-06....

Arisaka99
03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I've been looking for a 25-06, and from what I've seen, the main rifles out right now are the Savage 111 and Axis. I was originally going to get a .223 for shooting Coyotes, but a fellow board member suggested the 25-06 because it is really accurate, has a variety of bullet weights available for it, and can be used on varmints or big game. Anyone have any feedback on the Savages, or other factory guns out in 25-06 that won't break the bank, but are of good quality?

FLHTC
03-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Ruger 77 and the T/C Encore. I have both and love them. long range accuracy and energy

jonas302
03-19-2014, 09:28 PM
A friend won a mossberg 4x4 I think it had a obnoxious muzzle brake on it but shot supremely well with little recoil it had a really nice trigger similar to the savage accutrigger

Arisaka99
03-19-2014, 09:33 PM
FLHTC, aren't the Encore's fairly expensive?

Jonas, I haven't looked much into the Mossbergs. I'll have to take a glance.

Any favorite bullet or boolits for 25-06?

canthitsquat
03-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I had a Savage 110 that would shoot MOA all day long.
I now have a Ruger #1V that is about the same. I won the egg shoot at our annual ranch shoot at 100 yds.
My favorite bullets are Hornady's 75gr. V-Max and Sierras 87gr.
For hunting I like Barnes 120gr.

Arisaka99
03-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Anyone know of a scope with a BDC reticle for 25-06?

codgerville@zianet.com
03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Anyone know of a scope with a BDC reticle for 25-06?
I use a Nikon 3x9 Pro staff on mine.

Three44s
03-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Three 25-06's here ...........

My tractor gun is a XL7 Marlin in .25-06 ...... these also accept Savage barrels!

My pet is a Browning A-Bolt with the Boss .......

And my first and a build is a Savage with a Savage brand SS varmint weight barrel.

The .25-06 is a bazzooka when it comes to coyotes! And the bullet I carry in my Marlin is the Speer 87 gr. TNT .........

........... What? You don't think I'd throw "soft balls" at them do you? LOL!

While it's true you are looking at a very capable cartridge for varmints it's pretty much at the top end of the spectrum for them ........ more recoil etc ........ it's a long way from your first inclination ....... the .223

I suggest you think about all the viable cartridges before you make your decision.

I have many calibers for coyotes ..... from .204 to .223 to .22-250 ...... .243 and yes, .25-06! I like them all but in my case, I went for the .25-06 for dogs ....... domestic out of control dogs ......... and some really big ones at that ......... and very long range coyote work.

My "center" of what's really tops for a pure coyote rig is the .204 and the .22-250 with special mention to the .223 and the .243.

If you are set on the .25-06 ........ look hard for a longer barrel than the standard 22" offerings ...... 2 of mine are 22" and one is a 26" but a varmint weight ...... heavy for everyday use.

A good sporter in 24 or 26 would be better suited for all around and get good use of the case capacity and yet be fairly portable.

Best regards

Three 44s

FLHTC
03-20-2014, 07:44 AM
FLHTC, aren't the Encore's fairly expensive?

Jonas, I haven't looked much into the Mossbergs. I'll have to take a glance.

Any favorite bullet or boolits for 25-06?

It depends on what you're comparing them to but every year you wait, they get more expensive. Today's price will be a sweet deal in two years.

Ed1
03-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Mine is a Ruger 77, absolutely love it.

wch
03-20-2014, 07:51 AM
The 25-06 is a noisy beast, much noisier than a 223, and if you hunt near farms or ranches the folks might take a dim view of your antics.

Arisaka99
03-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Three44's, in VA, we can't hunt deer with anything smaller than .243 in a rifle. When you say top end of the spectrum, what do you mean? Is the recoil bad? I figured it would be light, but am I wrong?

FLHTC, true, you have a good point. I've wanted an encore for a while, just never had the funds. Haha

Wch, that's what the bulk of my hunting would be, on farms and ranches.

I have thought about buying a Ruger American in .223 and waiting on the 25-06, just to get better at my hand loading and try to get rid of my flinch. Shooting 180gn sierras out of my Arisaka all day took a toll on me.

Also, I've been reading about cheap plinking loads. Anybody have one for 25-06?

FLHTC
03-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Three44's, in VA, we can't hunt deer with anything smaller than .243 in a rifle. When you say top end of the spectrum, what do you mean? Is the recoil bad? I figured it would be light, but am I wrong?

FLHTC, true, you have a good point. I've wanted an encore for a while, just never had the funds. Haha

I have thought about buying a Ruger American in .223 and waiting on the 25-06, just to get better at my hand loading and try to get rid of my flinch. Shooting 180gn sierras out of my Arisaka all day took a toll on me.

The recoil is light in my opinion and the noise is to be expected when you fire a rifle. :roll: A cast plinking load might require some work since the case is so large. Many powders are position sensitive so a Dacron filler will most likely be needed. I personally would dedicate the 25-06 to jacketed loads but that is just me. I hate having to scrub the fouling, only to put it back in again.

Arisaka99
03-20-2014, 10:02 AM
For me, noise isn't a problem.

I wasn't saying a cast load so much as a lighter jacketed load when I didn't want to use full power loads, unless they're cheap enough to load that it doesn't matter whether they're full power or not.

FLHTC
03-20-2014, 10:37 AM
For me, noise isn't a problem.

I wasn't saying a cast load so much as a lighter jacketed load when I didn't want to use full power loads, unless they're cheap enough to load that it doesn't matter whether they're full power or not.

Jacketed will run you close to $25 a box or more if you can get them. Most distributors are out of stock on soft point 25 caliber bullets. Even 25-20 flat nosed bullets are out of stock. At .25 a bullet plus powder and primer, the 25-06 won't be a cheap plinking round. I stocked up back when bulk was about .06 a bullet and now i'm glad I did. When it comes to the gun trade, anything related that has a long shelf life is like money in the bank.

Arisaka99
03-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Ah. Dang. I'm sure .22 cal bullets are the same..

Moonie
03-20-2014, 11:19 AM
I have a Savage Edge, now called the Axis, in 30-06, it shoots very well and I have removed that horrible flexing polymer stock and replaced it with a very nice Boyds thumbhole stock. Also note that it is very easy to change calibers on the Savage rifles, thinking about a 35 Whelen barrel for it.

badbob454
03-20-2014, 11:30 AM
i have a handi rifle in 25-06 and all the fixins brass, dies, jwords, etc, nearly new , bought it ""used but it looked like it was never shot . might be convinced to sell her , havent shot her yet...

FLHTC
03-20-2014, 11:52 AM
i have a handi rifle in 25-06 and all the fixins brass, dies, jwords, etc, nearly new , bought it ""used but it looked like it was never shot . might be convinced to sell her , havent shot her yet...

I might be interested in your Fixins

FLHTC
03-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Ah. Dang. I'm sure .22 cal bullets are the same..

Close, but they're out of stock too

MT Gianni
03-21-2014, 11:52 AM
IIRC, RCBS had a mold in their specialty section of 120 gr.

tygar
03-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I've been looking for a 25-06, Savages, or other factory guns out in 25-06 that won't break the bank, but are of good quality?

I've had quite a few, the most accurate was a Kleinguenther 2.5" at 500. Currently have 2 or 3. A Sako, which is a very nice rifle & a custom (can't remember on what but I think a Whitworth) It is also nice.

The 25-06 is a flat shooting, easy shooting, hard hitting & a good long range hunting rifle for both varmints & game up to black bears. It was my first choice for long range antelope & deer until my 6.5s.

The 25-06 AI is a worthwhile mod for added speed etc. I'm not sure on added erosion but havn't heard it's bad.

I'd sell you one of mine but they are not cheap & you can not do any better than a Savage M12 or one of the varmint or whatever the higher grades are.

They ALL shoot good for less than half what the Sako costs, & probably shoot better out of the box.

Get one of them you won't be sorry.
Tom

DLCTEX
03-21-2014, 07:39 PM
If you are planning to sell fur from those coyotes then you may want to choose a less explosive round. Otherwise a great caliber. The only thing that's better is 257 Weatherby.:-P

Three44s
03-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Arisaka99,

When I mention "top end of the spectrum" I am refering to what is generally used on coyotes ....... the .25-06 is about where the traditional end of "varmint rifle cartriges" end.

What you need to do is define the role of this weapon and pick accordingly.

If you want dual purpose then you are looking at .243, 6mm Rem, .257 Roberts or .25-06 with an honorable mention of the .257 WBM.

If you want a dedicated coyote rifle ....... you'd be hard pressed to beat the .204 Ruger or the .22-250.

If the flinch you mention is bad enough ........ you'd be hard pressed to beat the .223.

I would not consider the .25-06 a hard kicker but if I had a flinch I was wanting to lose ........... I'd be looking at lighter cartridges to help cure it ........ and looking at the .223 real hard ......... and the .204 Ruger even harder ......... near .22-250 performance (even less bullet drop) and no recoil.

It seems that a lot of folks swear by the .243 and cast (the RCBS 95 gr. mold) ........ and it's a dual purpose cartridge. In full house loading it does certainly out kick the .22-250 but it's not obnoxious. In cast, it would be a ***** cat! Besides, you are not going to get economical with j-words (post Sandy Hook) ...... only with cast.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Three 44s

Arisaka99
03-24-2014, 09:22 AM
How hard is it to find brass and stuff for the .257's and 6mm Rem? I figured it'd be easy to get brass for the 25-06 because I already load an '06 based round. (7.7-06)

I want a dual purpose rifle that is capable of longer range (4-600yds) if I'm doing my part.

My flinch isn't suuuper bad, sometimes I can make myself hold still and take it, I just tend to jerk and throw groups. If I were to get a .223 should I look at a Wylde chamber so I can shoot 556, or just a straight .223? Also what twist rate barrel? 1:8, 1:9, 1:10?

tygar
03-24-2014, 09:43 AM
How hard is it to find brass and stuff for the .257's and 6mm Rem? I figured it'd be easy to get brass for the 25-06 because I already load an '06 based round. (7.7-06)

I want a dual purpose rifle that is capable of longer range (4-600yds) if I'm doing my part.

My flinch isn't suuuper bad, sometimes I can make myself hold still and take it, I just tend to jerk and throw groups. If I were to get a .223 should I look at a Wylde chamber so I can shoot 556, or just a straight .223? Also what twist rate barrel? 1:8, 1:9, 1:10?

Do you have a physical problem with your shoulder or something? None of those mentioned "kick" hard or some at all.

Anyway, if a 25 or 243 hurts, put a recoil reducer in the butt, a muzzle brake or some weights.

For brass availability & price stick with the standard calibers & if you want "more" chamber for an "AI" & you will still use factory standard 25 or 243 brass, just fire form it.

When you do that you will get more recoil.

The 25 & 243 shoot varmint bullets in the 80gr area & hunting over 100 to 120 in the 25.

The 25 will easily shoot 5-600 yds accurately (see my above post) if you can with a "good" rifle.

On a .223, just get one chambered for the 5.56 & you can shoot either. 8 twist is good for 62-80 gr. if you want 55 or lighter & to shoot cast 12-14. KISS principal unless you know what your doing.

I like the 25 better than the 243.

By the way, I've killed coyotes with a 25 & just punched a hole thru both sides just about bullet size, but you hit a bone & you will probably have some damage.

Tom

Arisaka99
03-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Do you have a physical problem with your shoulder or something? None of those mentioned "kick" hard or some at all.

Anyway, if a 25 or 243 hurts, put a recoil reducer in the butt, a muzzle brake or some weights.

For brass availability & price stick with the standard calibers & if you want "more" chamber for an "AI" & you will still use factory standard 25 or 243 brass, just fire form it.

When you do that you will get more recoil.

The 25 & 243 shoot varmint bullets in the 80gr area & hunting over 100 to 120 in the 25.

The 25 will easily shoot 5-600 yds accurately (see my above post) if you can with a "good" rifle.

On a .223, just get one chambered for the 5.56 & you can shoot either. 8 twist is good for 62-80 gr. if you want 55 or lighter & to shoot cast 12-14. KISS principal unless you know what your doing.

I like the 25 better than the 243.

By the way, I've killed coyotes with a 25 & just punched a hole thru both sides just about bullet size, but you hit a bone & you will probably have some damage.

Tom

Tom, I don't have any physical problems. I shoot a 12ga regularly, I just tend to flinch sometimes. Haha

I didn't figure that they would kick "hard", I was just saying I need something fairly easy that I can get used to and be comfortable with so I can get rid of the flinch. It absolutely annoys the **** out of me.

I think the only 5.56 bolt gun I've seen is a mossberg. I'll look again though. Is there any real advantage in the AI chamber? Just a little extra speed?

So on coyotes with the 25 it just punches clean through? I would think with the powder capacity of the 06 case it'd be flying and would be explosive when it hit em. Is it fairly flat shooting?

tygar
03-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Tom, I don't have any physical problems. I shoot a 12ga regularly, I just tend to flinch sometimes. Haha

I didn't figure that they would kick "hard", I was just saying I need something fairly easy that I can get used to and be comfortable with so I can get rid of the flinch. It absolutely annoys the **** out of me.

I think the only 5.56 bolt gun I've seen is a mossberg. I'll look again though. Is there any real advantage in the AI chamber? Just a little extra speed?

So on coyotes with the 25 it just punches clean through? I would think with the powder capacity of the 06 case it'd be flying and would be explosive when it hit em. Is it fairly flat shooting?

Ok on a flinch; practice dry firing, concentrating on your sights to target & repeat the mantra, "site alignment/trigger squeeze", breath in, as your letting out, continue site alignment/trigger squeeze, do not think about the trigger pull, just keep saying it until the hammer falls without you realizing it. Concentrate on sight picture & trigger squeeze until it is second nature. Keep your head to the stock & eye on target even after the hammer falls. That is follow thru. Repeat as necessary. Same for pistol even easier. After your doing it well, use a .22LR to practice in get muscle memory then move on to your center fire.

I don't know on bolts, I was thinking ARs. Have a Savage & Rem bolts & both are .223. I never think about it. I use the same basic loads for all of them & use LC brass exclusively. I personally have never had a problem but all my rifles have chambers mated to OAL etc to whatever I'm shooting.

What I said is, "I have shot" them with no damage, but you can blow them up pretty easy. Without a FMJ bullet any of them can blow up. Some use lite bullets that do blow up so all the energy stays inside & no offside hole. When I shot mine they were incidental to deer/antelope hunting with 117gr SP.

I've got a 243AI & 22-250AI & I think something else. On those 2 I wouldn't bother. You get 100ft but I havn't seen any real benefit & you don't need another set of dies. As for accuracy, my original Sako in 22-250 was a tack driver, when I shot it out I put a Kreiger AI on it & it is not as accurate. OK but not as good.

Buy a nice Savage M12 or comparable with their acutrigger, put good glass on it & it will shoot better than either of us can hold.

19112TAP
03-24-2014, 11:28 AM
I have a 25-06 built on a Mauzer action and have had it for over 30 yrs. I have used it on a lot of whitetails and a few coyote, really nice round. I have a couple of nephews that want to be like their uncle and purchased the Savage Axis, I liked the price but after handling and seeing how they shoot I was not to impressed accuracy was ok for deer out to 200 but smaller animals might be a different story.

tygar
03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
I have a 25-06 built on a Mauzer action and have had it for over 30 yrs. I have used it on a lot of whitetails and a few coyote, really nice round. I have a couple of nephews that want to be like their uncle and purchased the Savage Axis, I liked the price but after handling and seeing how they shoot I was not to impressed accuracy was ok for deer out to 200 but smaller animals might be a different story.

I don't know what the Axis is, but people are using model 12s & the tactical & Fclass rifles for match out to 1000yds & the varmint guns on little bitty things way out there.

Arisaka99
03-24-2014, 12:27 PM
So you like the Model 12 better than the 111?

tygar
03-24-2014, 12:48 PM
So you like the Model 12 better than the 111?

Don't know, never shot a 111.

I am not a "Savage" guy. I have a couple & they work good. I have seen others shooting them to great effect & guys I shoot with say they are good. So pick your poison.

I personally, have custom guns made for my accuracy guns. Several long range hunting, Fclass & tacticals, 2 1000yd heavy guns & 1 1000yd lite gun are all made on various 700 or Bat actions.

Just saying, out of the box Savage is considered the most accurate. If you like something better, buy it.

Good luck.
Tom

Arisaka99
03-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Ohhh ok. I was just wondering. I wasn't sure if you had more experience with one rather than the other.

dk17hmr
03-24-2014, 09:22 PM
I would take a serious look at the 6x45/6TCU (6-223) or the 25-223 cartridges. Wildcats of course but easy wildcats, just a straight neck up....TCU requires fireforming but is a non issue. Brass is everywhere. 28gr of powder goes a long long ways in these little rounds. Will kill anything you are likely to hunt back east. Zero recoil.

I no longer have the 6x45's with my 6TCU and 25-223 I have no issues passed 600 yards on small critters. Longest confirmed kill with the 25-223 on a p-dog (so far) is 721 yards. The 24" 6x45 I had was shot out to 800 yards on steel on several occasions.

The 25-06 is a great round....my first center fire rifle I purchased was a 25-06, and I still have it. It has never left me asking for more. Its a do everything type of cartridge. But burning all that extra powder to get 300-350fps more over my 25-223 hurts the powder stash.

Just come out here and try out my rifles to see which one you like best.

flounderman
03-25-2014, 08:05 AM
I own most of the standard calibers and a bunch of wildcats and my best shooting was with a .220 swift. Anybody that never owned one or hunted with one shouldn't be commenting because all they have to offer are hearsay opinions and anybody that has used one will tell you it is a hard caliber to beat. The wind will affect it but on a still day, it can't be beat. The 55 grain bullet should be the bullet of choice. It isn't quiet, but less recoil. Nothing wrong with a 22-250 but it isn't a swift.

Huffmanite
03-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Own a few of the Marlin X 7 rifles, 7mm-08, 25-06, 308. All shoot very well. The Marlin has a decent adjustable trigger too. Its worth consideration.

tygar
03-25-2014, 09:15 AM
I own most of the standard calibers and a bunch of wildcats and my best shooting was with a .220 swift. Anybody that never owned one or hunted with one shouldn't be commenting because all they have to offer are hearsay opinions and anybody that has used one will tell you it is a hard caliber to beat. The wind will affect it but on a still day, it can't be beat. The 55 grain bullet should be the bullet of choice. It isn't quiet, but less recoil. Nothing wrong with a 22-250 but it isn't a swift.

Yes, a Swift is a fine round. The 22-250AI is more than its equal. You can use 220 load info in the AI but not the reverse without a reduction. The difference is small but the AI is still a little hotter.

I know the swift does erode but how much more, if any, over the AI is debatable.

I have been shooting the AI I rebarreled for 25yrs now & it's still OK. I have to seat a little farther out now to reach the L&Gs.

My first hot 22 was the Swift but when I got the 22-250 I went with it & then the AI but as I said, I'd stick with the 22-250 over both now. It's plenty fast, easy shooting, easy loading, good barrel life, just a great round.

With the Swift & AI it's just a pick-em. Both are equal for all intents & purposes, but for the fact you can use cheaper 22-250 brass & as with all AIs, can fire full power factory or reloads in the AI with good accuracy & they will just fire form to the chamber.
Tom

Arisaka99
03-25-2014, 09:35 AM
My only caveat is that in VA we can't hunt deer or bear with anything smaller than .23 cal. So minimum is like a .243 or the like.

tygar
03-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Yep we've gotten into the weeds on this, but that is normal.

Just get a 243 or 25 & be done with it. Either will kill gophers or deer.
Tom

Whiterabbit
03-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Arisaka, if you are serious about a 25-06, you should seriously consider contacting SteveB. I do believe he is working on a 25-06 for sale (90% sure on this). Yes it is a custom rifle and yes it'll cost double a decent savage, but if you spend 3 minutes talking to him and he starts whipping out photos of his work, you'll see that you get far more than double the gun. And since you want something that doesn't break the bank, from an investment standpoint, that's a really good deal!

Whiterabbit
03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
I would take a serious look at the 6x45/6TCU (6-223) or the 25-223 cartridges. Wildcats of course but easy wildcats, just a straight neck up....TCU requires fireforming but is a non issue. Brass is everywhere. 28gr of powder goes a long long ways in these little rounds. Will kill anything you are likely to hunt back east. Zero recoil.

I no longer have the 6x45's with my 6TCU and 25-223 I have no issues passed 600 yards on small critters. Longest confirmed kill with the 25-223 on a p-dog (so far) is 721 yards. The 24" 6x45 I had was shot out to 800 yards on steel on several occasions.

The 25-06 is a great round....my first center fire rifle I purchased was a 25-06, and I still have it. It has never left me asking for more. Its a do everything type of cartridge. But burning all that extra powder to get 300-350fps more over my 25-223 hurts the powder stash.

Just come out here and try out my rifles to see which one you like best.

Thread jack: Hey doug, lemme get your opinion as a long range target shooter (live targets or otherwise). My long range is 700 yards, pointed upwards 6-7 degrees, and it's a hill behind a hill with no way to read wind but it's always over 10mph, roundabouts 15 mph. I get blown around a lot. For a 223 based cartridge that makes it to 800 as you say, would the 6tcu or the 25-223 be the better choice? Which one? Are they sufficiently distinctive to see an advantage one way or the other? What about 7tcu (conceptually) vs your choices? Too slow at that point to cut through wind?

Bullshop
03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
I use a 25/06 for late season coyote hunting and I hunt them for $. For me I treat coyote hunting as having two seasons early and late.
Early season = close shots less than 300 yards most often much less. Late season after the real winter weather and conditions have set in most shots are long 400+ yards. For the early season I use mostly 22 cal and sometimes 24 cal. For the late season I use some 24 cal and 25 cal.
Right now my 25 are 25/06 and 25/284. For long range coyote shooting I use a 100 gn bullet at 3300 fps. Solid hits at anything past 300 yards are no problem as far as fur damage is concerned. The result is usually DRT with about a 2 bit size hole on the off side.
I stay away from the lighter weight varmint type bullets because they have been too destructive to hides.
The 25 cals that can give at least 3300 fps or there about with a 100gn bullet are about ideal for this use. Put together a good shooting load and mate it to an accurate precise aiming system and you have harvesting ability to quite long range. Under good conditions and if its not too bright out for my range finder to work well 800 yards is well in the game.
This past winter I connected on a coyote that was so far away neither the coyote or I knew at first that it was hit. How far? My 800 yard hold is 4.7 mils and I held 10 mils and made a hit.
Tune in your aiming system and pay very close attention to the wind and 500 yards shots begin to seem easy. Longer shots get a little tougher but like I said put together a system that provides accurate range and wind dope with a sighting system with accurate compensating and you have a lethal long range coyote package.

kopperl
03-25-2014, 01:54 PM
My 25-06 is a #1 Ruger. I use a 110 gr Sierra over 12 gr Unique for a turtle shooter. Works well up to 75 yards or so.

stu206
03-25-2014, 07:58 PM
I had my 25-06 built back in 1960 time frame, cost was $10.00 for the Springfield and $50.00 for the barrel and chambering for the 25-06. Then around 1970 had a Gold Ring 3X9 Scope put on for $ 65. install and $ 70 for the scope. The loads I use are 117gr boat tail on top of 56gr of 4831, sighted in for 2in high at a 100yds. Started out using the 100gr bullet then went to the 117gr, for fireforming the case's I use the 85gr bullets. As for animals taken with it, good on song dogs, deer and elk but stay away from meaty areas as you can ruin alot of meat that way. Aim for the head/neck area's and drop them fast and less meat wastage. Does make some noise on firing, fast moving bullet, fairly flat shooting, but if you hit a branch the bullet is gone. If you want a 25-06 I say go for it, a good shooter in my mind. Vern

dk17hmr
03-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Thread jack: Hey doug, lemme get your opinion as a long range target shooter (live targets or otherwise). My long range is 700 yards, pointed upwards 6-7 degrees, and it's a hill behind a hill with no way to read wind but it's always over 10mph, roundabouts 15 mph. I get blown around a lot. For a 223 based cartridge that makes it to 800 as you say, would the 6tcu or the 25-223 be the better choice? Which one? Are they sufficiently distinctive to see an advantage one way or the other? What about 7tcu (conceptually) vs your choices? Too slow at that point to cut through wind?

6TCU vs 25-223.....based on bullet selection alone....6TCU

The 6TCU in a rifle barrel will push a 105gr A-max to 2700-2750fps without much work and if you push it 2800fps....sound familiar? 6br which has brought home untold numbers of trophies from the 600 yard and 1000 yard line. My 25-223 shoots a 100gr SMK at 2740fps, but lacks the BC of the 6mm bullets. I haven't played with the 7TCU at all but I think it would lack the velocity even out of a rifle barrel to shoot the high BC bullets at distance....it could be done though.

Velocity isn't the end all be all for shooting long but it sure helps if you miss judge the range slightly.

Three44s
03-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Arisaka99,

I make my .25-06 out of .270 win. It gives me enough extra length so I don't end up short and I don't have as much neck size reduction to have to accomplish.

Besides ....... I have lots of .270 cases in once fired presuasion.

As far as recoil, only you can answer the question and only by shooting these various cartridges.

It seems to me ......... you are going to be looking at a larger caliber like a wildcat 6mm (like a 6mm/.284) or a .25-06 to get consistent results at 4-600 yds.

But to get less expensive practice and less recoil ........... you are headed to a "two gun" set up ....... a .223 ........ as well.

There is just no such thing as "having your cake and eating it too" .........

I have been poking holes in coyotes and also the air in their vicinity for a good long time. While a good range finder is a grand thing ........ when you couple one with a flat shooting accurate weapon ...... you've got the best combo .....

A coyote is pretty much a one shot proposition unlike a PD or rock chuck. When it moves ......... it's moving into a different range and you start all over ........ but then ......... that different location is usually ........ another township ........ LOL!

A cartridge with more Kentucky windage is more problematic at long range as that skinny coyote does not offer much vertical "forgiveness" as to yardage and hold over estimation.

Happy shooting!

Three 44s

atr
03-26-2014, 10:42 AM
forget the 25-06 and find a 257 Roberts

Nrut
03-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Buy a Ruger American in .223 and learn how to reload for it and shoot it..
Why .223?
About the cheapest round to reload for and very fun to shoot and with a 1:8 twist in the American you can handle up to the high B.C. Hornady 75gr. BTHP with OAL of 2.25 which will fed from the DM..
I consider the 22-250 a better coyote cartridge but the .223 to be a "funner" cartridge to shoot..
For called coyotes I used the Speer 52 gr. HP mostly and the Rem 50gr. PLHP for fur..

Use your Arisaka for deer hunting until you can afford to buy another Ruger American in .243, 708 or .308..
Reality I bet 99% of your shots are going to be under 300 yards in Va. unless you have access to large fields or power line right aways..
Then there is scopes..

Go to 24hr. campfire website and get an education on long range hunting rifles, scopes and bullets..
25-06 doesn't even enter the picture for long range due to poor B.C. bullet availability..

Arisaka99
03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
What's a good .223 scope? Power? Brand? Should I even consider BDC reticles or just stick with a standard crosshair? Some of the fields are pretty big up where I'll be hunting. I think for now I will probably work on getting an American Rifle and then save up and get a really nice 25-06 when I get the chance.
My only caveat would be that I've heard people aren't even getting MOA out of some of them. Anyone with one have input?

Wayne Smith
03-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Sorry Chris, I have to tell your secret. Guys, his Arisaka has a Limbsaver on it. His girlfriend is half his size and shoots my Encore Katadin 45/70 and doesn't flinch! Nuf said?

I will admit that when he developed the flinch he was shooting it from a bench and she shoots the 45/70 from a seated position. Two very different situations. I don't shoot my 405 Win. from the bench, only where I can move with it.

dk17hmr
03-26-2014, 07:18 PM
What's a good .223 scope? Power? Brand? Should I even consider BDC reticles or just stick with a standard crosshair? Some of the fields are pretty big up where I'll be hunting. I think for now I will probably work on getting an American Rifle and then save up and get a really nice 25-06 when I get the chance.
My only caveat would be that I've heard people aren't even getting MOA out of some of them. Anyone with one have input?

BDC reticles make you a sloppy shooter. I have had a couple and have hated every single one I have looked through. If you truly want to learn to shoot long range learn to dial.

Bullshop
03-26-2014, 07:25 PM
This past winter I used a SWFA mil dot scope with the mil quad ret and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Its a lot of scope for a little money.

Love Life
03-26-2014, 07:31 PM
BDC reticles make you a sloppy shooter. I have had a couple and have hated every single one I have looked through. If you truly want to learn to shoot long range learn to dial.

Gospel.

Arisaka99
03-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Sorry Chris, I have to tell your secret. Guys, his Arisaka has a Limbsaver on it. His girlfriend is half his size and shoots my Encore Katadin 45/70 and doesn't flinch! Nuf said?

I will admit that when he developed the flinch he was shooting it from a bench and she shoots the 45/70 from a seated position. Two very different situations. I don't shoot my 405 Win. from the bench, only where I can move with it.

Thaaaannnkks, Wayne. Haha It's alright, I'll admit it, I'm a wimp..

Doug, Any links with good instruction on dialing? I haven't found good instruction on youtube at least..

Tar Heel
03-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Ruger 77V in .25-06 is my vote. Had mine for 25+ years and love it. Absolute hell on Sod Poodles.
The .25-06 is DEVASTATING on varmints especially when loaded with 75gr HP "varmint" bullets. It will flat vaporize varmints. The .25-06 can be a real bore-burner however so keep the 3400+fps loads to a minimum.

dk17hmr
03-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Heres a quick over view. Gives you a basic idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWokcWXmcSk

tygar
03-27-2014, 09:38 AM

LOL I've never figured out how to use one. Know your ballistics & adjust, works every time.

Tom

Arisaka99
04-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Any of you guys use Mildot Master?