PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolit question about gas checks

stu1ritter
03-19-2014, 06:24 PM
I was just given a Lee C358-158-SWC mold and started casting from it. Dropped about 100 when I realized it was a gas check base. Question is, put them back in the pot or load and shoot them without gas checks at moderate velocities?
thanks,
Stu

bangerjim
03-19-2014, 06:28 PM
I shoot several cal's cast for GC's at subsonic speeds without GC's. I put the Cu checks on when shooting at full rifle/mag speeds.

I powder coat everything.

banger

rsrocket1
03-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Try them without gas checks. The worst that can happen is you spend an extra 45 seconds cleaning out the lead from the barrel with a few Chore boy strands wrapped around a bore mop. You can then decide whether to put GC's on the bullets or open up the mold cavities to make them plain base. If no leading, see how hard you can push them without leading. You may be surprised.

bangerjim
03-19-2014, 06:40 PM
That is why I use PC......NOT LEADING.......EVER.......on any style of boolit. No grease needed. The PC takes care of all that. Check the stickies!

banger

bruce drake
03-19-2014, 07:11 PM
You can shoot without gas checks. Think of them as bevel-based boolits but keep the velocity low or you will be cleaning the lead out of the rifling that a gas check would normally prevent.

wild bill wildbill59
03-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Oh man what is choreboy

spfd1903
03-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Oh man what is choreboy

Any 100% copper scrubbing pad. Not the steel with copper coating types.

stu1ritter
03-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Oh man what is choreboy
As spfd1903 said, all copper scrubbing pad that you carefully cut apart and lay small parts of the pad over a used bore brush and run that through the bore a few times and all of the leading in a barrel will just "scrub" right out. Works like a champ if you haven't tried it yet. If the leading is really stubborn you can do a Kroil soak to help lift it before another Chore Boy scrub. I do the first scrub dry and it seems to work well. I shoot nothing but lead at all sorts of velocities and only use untreated range scrap and barrel leading just falls out when "Chore Boy'd".
Stu

44man
03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Boolit fit and alloy is what prevents leading. The gas check is to grip the rifling and stop skid at the base to keep rifling grooves from leaking gas. If the boolit with one left off does not skid, it will not lead the bore.
If the boolit is too soft, the check will also fail.
The biggest problem will be that some boolits lose too much drive area for the twist, you will have a shorter boolit affect and need to adjust the velocity for the spin.
Only shooting will tell you if it works. Some boolits work fine, others fail.
I would not waste those boolits and if worse comes to worse, buy some checks. I know they are expensive!
I have switched to PB for all my big bore revolvers because of cost.
The little shoulder at the base will not cause leading in and of itself, make the boolit tougher.

rsrocket1
03-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Chore Boy Scrubbers (http://choreboyscrubbers.com/en/Products/Ultimate_Scrubbers_Pure_Copper.aspx)

I got a box of 2 for $3 at the local Walgreen. You can also use medium or coarse Bronze wool. I found some at the local Ace Hardware store.

You don't need much:

It literally takes about 4-5 back and forth scrubs and about 45 seconds to clear out the lead.