PDA

View Full Version : Cabine Tree tester, Can't leave well enough alone

AbitNutz
03-19-2014, 05:56 PM
I just got the Cabine Tree lead hardness tester and over all I'm happy with it...but it has or I have, one issue that I need to solve.

A fair amount of the bullets I cast are smaller calibers, lots of different styles of .309, .313 even some .225. I have a great many of everything on hand. I also heat treat and water drop more than a few of these. Testing the larger calibers, .358, .454, etc are no issue. The bases and the meplats are large enough to stay put in the tester as I turn the crank. The smaller ones are a real problem. As I crank they will invariably slip/spin off. Filing flats helps but it is a crapshoot.

http://www.castingstuff.com/lt.JPG

You can see from this link sorta what I'm talking about. The bullet in the picture is clearly very large. Likely a .458 or so. Imagine that point staying put while rotating on a .309. It's tough to make happen.

I need a slight modification. I'd like to have the indent point/probe cut off and then made to spin freely. Maybe use a bronze bushing or two. That way I could turn the crank, the bolt would turn but the point would remain stationary. A stop pin might have to be added to the point to make sure it doesn't rotate...

While I can take a reading on the ingots before I cast. That doesn't help for already cast bullets or bullets that you intend to heat treat/quench.

I'd like to throw this out to some of the talented machinists in this forum to have this done...

Smoke4320
03-19-2014, 05:59 PM
on small bullets test them on their sides .. works very well

AbitNutz
03-19-2014, 06:06 PM
I'd really like to explore making the front not rotate. It just seems like a better way...

bangerjim
03-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Just use a "wood nut (Tee Nut) ".....you know...one of those metal things you drive into wood to let you screw machine screws in. Works GREAT..Put the nose of the boolit in the nut hole and the other end gives you a nice big flange. Booilt will NOT pop out or shift around!

banger

AbitNutz
03-19-2014, 06:39 PM
You wouldn't happen to be able to snap quick picture of that solution in action...could ya?