PDA

View Full Version : Going to try calling in a cougar

xacex
03-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Before LL chimes in...not the old lady kind.

Mountain lion, cougar, puma or whatever you call them seem to be multiplying exponentially out here due to Oregon changing the law on using dogs in 1994. I keep hearing about encounters, and one two weeks ago got me thinking it is time to use my tag.

This hunter was calling coyotes near timber with another hunter about 100 yards away. I think he said it was a cottontail distress call. A Half hour in and there was a cat BEHIND one of the hunters stalking him in the brush, and the other one took the shot. Kind of crazy to use your hunting buddy as bait, and shoot in his direction, but it worked. Fortunately no one was hurt, but the cat.

Later the hunters found two meat piles that contained deer that the cat had made. These things are taking full size deer and ripping them apart.

These cats are popping up everywhere, and are not afraid of hunters, or hikers. Its kind of risky hunting, but I have a remote call, and plan to use a area to set up where my back is protected, large rock, tree, ect. Kind of exhilarating with the thought of hunting something that is hunting you. Any of you have experience with this animal? I hear the meat tastes like pork, and is good eating.

crowbuster
03-19-2014, 02:34 PM
That sure sounds like fun. Called in a lot of coyotes, mt.lion would be like a yote on steroids. Never done it but hope to some day. Wolf too. Hope you have good luck and post pics of your success.

waksupi
03-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Watch for bears, too!

Larry Gibson
03-19-2014, 02:59 PM
I did a lot of predator calling up in Oregon for many years. Managed to call in several bobcats and a couple cougars over the years. Back then we mostly used mouth calls so when doing so you are the bait! With remote controlled calls these days you can off set and if using a decoy they will focus on the call and movement there if you are well hid. I liked to be about 50+ yards from the call at least with good fields of observation. They pick up on any movement and noise so you must be still with only your eye searching. The cats are very wary and will come in slowly trying to work the wind to smell what's there also. For best results stay on a stand to the side or up wind 30 minutes at least with an hour being better. I've had results with distressed rabbit, deer and bird calls so its hard saying which works the best, depends on what the cat prefers I guess. Good luck and don't get discouraged as it will be 99% boring and 1% sheer excitement...........

I probably would have seen more cats but never turned down a shot on a coyote and once you shoot your busted for any cat in the area.

Larry Gibson

xacex
03-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Watch for bears, too!

Got my tag for spring bear just in case.

starmac
03-19-2014, 05:43 PM
I have some buddys, I wouldn't have a problem using them for bait. lol I know grizzlies will come to a call. I have heard of it getting pretty tense using a mouth call and armed with a varmint rifle. lol

Wolfer
03-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I've only called up a few bobcats because like Larry I never pass a shot at a yote.

I too would find calling up a cougar extremely interesting.

xacex
03-19-2014, 06:53 PM
I dont know if a yote called in would help get a cats interest, but I would have a hard time just letting it walk on if I didn't see a cat. You think a cougar would be smart enough to let a yote walk up to a decoy or call to see if it got shot before chasing the yota away to take the game?

Wolfer
03-19-2014, 08:30 PM
In my experience a yote will usually be there in 10 minutes or less. Cats usually not before 30 minutes or longer.

While I often call awhile after shooting a dog I've never called a cat in. Not to say it couldn't happen though.

MT Gianni
03-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Both Bobcats and Cougars are slower to come into a call. Give them at least 1/2 hour before you think of moving your set. If I were calling for cats I would set someone up almost back to back with me.

bstone5
03-19-2014, 11:02 PM
I was calling in a cedar bush in south Texas one evening late back in early 1970's.

An owl came into the cedar bush from above, I don't know who got scared the most me or the owl.

I got wash the owl poo off of my clothes that evening.

Butcher45
03-19-2014, 11:25 PM
From all that I have read, cougar do not use their nose much, if at all when hunting.

Hunting the Coastal Range here in Oregon, longer stands are sometimes necessary to call in coyotes, too. I called two of them in last week after 45+minutes of calling. I had even heard them howl on the property an hour before dawn, which is when I began calling, and that was on ranch property that is relatively "open" for around here.

The cover is VERY thick in the timberland here (the PNW has more vegetation per acre than anywhere else in the world)......they make full use of it, and sometimes come in with extreme caution.

The largest cougar ODFW has caught/collared/released was recorded as weighing 185lbs at one point....when he was killed by a hunter he was closer to 160 for some reason. I saw a H-U-G-E cougar at one of my spots a few years back....he is a legend around here (I hope he is still alive!). Darned-near a 200-pounder. Unfortunately, the hunter I had brought to the spot was making WAY to much noise headed to where I was placing him, and neglected to keep his eyes on the ridge I told him to focus on......guess where that big cat popped-up as the hunter was snapping branches with reckless abandon? I hadn't even started calling yet!

Cougar are indeed a problem around here. The authorities killed one here in town that was killing the neighborhood dogs and deer: a 45lb'er...... no doubt forced from the woods by the larger competition. It had no fear of people, and was stashing it's prey in a stand of trees right next to peoples homes, and the school bus-stop where I used to catch the bus as a kid. HE was spotted walking down the street in front of my house, which is a good 6 blocks away from any form of "woods", and is wall-to-wall houses.

I'm in the Corvallis area, and would be happy to focus on calling a cougar in to the gun any time of year should anyone want to go after them with me.....open season 365days a year until unit quota's are met, which really doesn't happen in my area. My schedule is relatively flexible. I've called in three Bobcat that I could see, so I have had some success at calling cats in the limited time I have been at it.

xacex
03-19-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm in the Corvallis area, and would be happy to focus on calling a cougar in to the gun any time of year should anyone want to go after them with me.....open season 365days a year until unit quota's are met, which really doesn't happen in my area. My schedule is relatively flexible. I've called in three Bobcat that I could see, so I have had some success at calling cats in the limited time I have been at it.

I might take you up on that someday. I'm up against the coast range north of you in McMinnville.

starmac
03-20-2014, 01:05 AM
I have always heard in NM that a cougar would kill a deer a week, and that was pretty good size mule deer country. I don't know if it is true or not. I do know they can scatter cattle all over hell and gone. Two different times I have seen when cattle was penned, ready to ship the next morning and a cougar scattered them, it sure makes a mess of the pens, and a lot of work finding and gathering them.

AlaskanGuy
03-20-2014, 01:31 AM
I had an encounter with one when i was still living in montana... We were always having trouble with them and they loved to take my neighbors quarter horse foals and yearlings....

One day, i had the neighbors son with me and we were hunting mulies up this ridge about a mile from the house.... We spotted a good mulie doe that the kid had a tag for, and wham, he shot.... Ended hitting the deer in the left from foreleg... As the 3 legged deer disappeared down the hill and with night closing in, i decided just to let the deer go and take up tracking her in the morning through the 2 feet of fresh snow we had on the ground... I diddnt figure she would go far..... Next morning, we headed up the ridge to the treeline to resume the job, and sure enough, after tracking that does bloodtrail for about 1/2 mile, she had bedded down...we snuck up and the kid made a good shot this time at about 40 yards, and we set about gutting and getting the deer ready to drag out. We stood up and started dragging the doe up a small hill to the treeline, and hadent gone more then 20 steps when i noticed that in every track in the snow our boots had made, there was a very fresh lion track in our steps, a big lion track.... That darned lion had also followed the blood trail, and had gotted within about 20 paces to us working on that doe till i assume the lion firgured that the 2 of us were just too much for that lion to try for.... God only knows what would have happened if there was only one of us working on that doe.... Needless to say, we dragged that doe the rest of the way with live rounds in the chamber in those trees... Really spooked me to know that the cat was checking us out at 20 paces and had the gall to take a dump in one of our boot prints...lol, without us ever knowing the lion was there....

4 days later, the same kids father killed that 175lb tomcat inside his corral sitting on the dead yearling foal that he bread special... The corall was about 60 yards from his house, and he shot from his doorway with a 30-30....

I tell you them cats are as ballsy as a mature brownie trash can bear, and just as dangerous.... Watch you back, and the back of your neck....

AG

shooterbob
03-20-2014, 03:44 AM
I've had to run-ins with mountain lions over the years in central Tx. Once when teens a cousin and I were hunting at night with 22's and saw ML tracks in a creek bed. We thought they were old and kept walking in the creek. Dang cat screamed at us from about 30 yrds away and scared the bejeesus out of us. We were lucky it had killed a possum we found the next day.
The second time, my brother had a lion taking aoudad sheep and dragging em 100 yrds. We were actually calling fox on his tank dam one night and the house was about 150 yrds away. We had a 17hmr and a 22 and after calling about 15 mins we hear a loud rumble down in the brush below the dam. My friend whispers to me...Was that your stomach? I whispered no and he took off toward the house. Lol my.brother was in the living room and said he couldn't figure out why we were shining the light off and on in his house. It was my buddy running with the light...arm up arm down. I changed over to a 223 barrel,.but we never saw it again. The old saying is you don't have to be faster than the lion, just faster than your buddy. I told em if that happens and they pass me up, I'd just shoot em lol. J/k obviously.

wch
03-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Bennet Cerf: "If called by a panther, don't anther."

Larry Gibson
03-20-2014, 09:30 AM
I might take you up on that someday. I'm up against the coast range north of you in McMinnville.

Well familiar with both areas. Grew up on a small ranch 5 miles west out of Dallas in the foothills. Had my 1st run in with a cougar there when I was 13.

Larry Gibson

jhalcott
03-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Once when hunting deer in upper Maine I saw a bear WATCHING a guy rattling for deer. The guy was doing what I thought was a lousy job, but the bear seemed amused. The guy never knew the bear was in the same county! It just stood up , looked at me, then slipped into the Xmas trees! The bear was only about 50 yards from the hunter. Not a big bear, but real black!

xacex
03-20-2014, 01:55 PM
I run into hunters/hikers from time to time that are completely unaware that they are not always the predator, and are in fact prey. Walking zoned out looking forward, making a ruckus, and never looking behind them. What bothers me out in the dense northwest forest is the chipmunks. They give away your position, and make such a ruckus you can't hear twigs breaking, or leaves crunching. But, I also use them to alert me of something moving up to several hundred yards away. I have been know to use them as target practice on my way out of the woods. Wouldn't mind a silenced .22 just for plinking them off without spooking other game. Time to send in my $200 for the form 1.

popper
03-21-2014, 01:35 PM
It's easy. Just leave your empty bean & apple sauce cans under the camper at night (Red River, NM). Yea, I just forgot. Dang thing kept bumping the bottom of the bed most of the night, licking the cans. Paw prints were about 3" in dia as I remember. Awake most of the night with my trusty 380 to protect the family and NO I wasn't going outside to chase it off.

xacex
03-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Well, tried three sets today for about a half hour each and didn't see anything. I will try 45 minutes next. Used a cottontail distress. I wonder if the fawn distress this time of year would be better. I am using a remote caller set about 50 yards or so from me near clearings. Tried in dense woods, and after a half hour all the birds stopped chirping, and I got that uneasy feeling but I couldn't see beyond 30 yards.

Three44s
03-22-2014, 12:28 AM
xacex,

You know what those birds hushed up about!!

Best regards

Three 44s

xacex
03-22-2014, 01:49 AM
xacex,

You know what those birds hushed up about!!

Best regards

Three 44s
Yes, I do. But I was not in a position to see anything. Walked out locked and loaded, and my partner who had an uneasy feeling like being watched walked out with Glock in hand. I let him walk out behind me. I am going to have to use a clearing or road if I am to hunt that spot because those woods were too dense, but there were lots of elk and deer sign so I figured....

I think a decoy is in order to focus attention into an area that is clear. The other areas I tried were good for visual distance of about 200 yards, with cover on both sided but nothing popped out the whole day. Fellow I talked to today said to use a MOJO with some rabbit urine to get all three senses in tune to the decoy. Predator hunting is new to me, and I am trying to not end up as the bait.

shooterbob
03-22-2014, 01:51 AM
Dang that takes cojones to hunt lion with that little visabilty. I want to be able to see em a little farther off.

Butcher45
03-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Definitly use fawn-in-distress instead. Hunting cougar without a decoy (I use a MojoCritter as well) is going to make it a lot tougher for them not to see you, especially if you are working a handcall. Cover ALL skin with camo/faceveil/gloves. If you are moving AT ALL, even just a little bit to scratch your nose, a cat WILL see you (before you see them for sure) from everything I hear. Excellent sight hunters.

Trying again at the sheep/goat ranch on Sunday, with my MojoCritter, and a partner.

For cougar hunting info, do a search for a Cougar hunter going by "Rainshadow".

Butcher45
03-22-2014, 05:04 AM
Dang that takes cojones to hunt lion with that little visabilty. I want to be able to see em a little farther off.

Sometimes I think I'm just stupid lol!

I once called in an angry bear I could hear while hunting with my relatively moderate-powered single shot .45airgun, w/ no back-up weapon on hand. Moved to a different spot to call some more, and heard the bear AGAIN at that next stand. Yep.....that was enough predator calling for me that day.

xacex
03-22-2014, 12:04 PM
If your heart doesn't get pumping once and a while its time to quit. That when you slow down and get hurt. This is true of anything risky. I dont think it is cajones as much as a willingness to love life. Burning out a few brain cells in my youth doesn't hurt either.

tommag
03-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Don't know if it matters or not, but we had a pet blacktail. Her fawns distress calls were quite a bit higher pitched than the whitetail fawn in distress calls I had.

Pilgrim
03-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Wanted to call a cat for years but haven't done it yet. Thinking about it, I've decided a remote located call, digital control, with an attracter is the best way to go (note ZERO experience here, so ...). I don't want a cat or any other big predator in my lap w/o my prior approval! I'm watching this post with IMMENSE interest. Please keep us advised, whovever tries this. Thanks...Pilgrim

MT Gianni
03-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Well, tried three sets today for about a half hour each and didn't see anything. I will try 45 minutes next. Used a cottontail distress. I wonder if the fawn distress this time of year would be better. I am using a remote caller set about 50 yards or so from me near clearings. Tried in dense woods, and after a half hour all the birds stopped chirping, and I got that uneasy feeling but I couldn't see beyond 30 yards.

A fawn call is at least a month early here. Some kind of a movement decoy is great to focus on. It shouldn't take much movement, it doesn't for coyotes.

xacex
03-22-2014, 06:31 PM
A fawn call is at least a month early here. Some kind of a movement decoy is great to focus on. It shouldn't take much movement, it doesn't for coyotes.

I figure it might be about 1 month off. I found a stillborn that had just been born at first light last year about mid to late April.

xacex
03-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Don't know if it matters or not, but we had a pet blacktail. Her fawns distress calls were quite a bit higher pitched than the whitetail fawn in distress calls I had.

I was wondering that. The one that is programed into my call sounds like a crying baby almost. Or a dying lamb...

Hickok
03-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Remember, if you get chased by a mountain lion, run a zig zag course and throw sh#$ at him.........don't worry, you wont have look hard to find some!:happy dance:

GaryN
03-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Whatever you do if you shoot one save all the meat. They are delicious.

xacex
03-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Whatever you do if you shoot one save all the meat. They are delicious.

Thats what I have heard. Something like good, grass fed pork. Looking forward to it as much as a wall mount. Just ordered up a Mojo, and some camo head covers. Already have the other camo gear, so I am all geared up at this point.

waksupi
03-22-2014, 10:52 PM
I figure it might be about 1 month off. I found a stillborn that had just been born at first light last year about mid to late April.

One way to time the births of the faWNS. a DOE WILL KICK LOOSE LAST YEARS FAWNS TWICE. oNCE IN THE FALL FOR THE RUT, AT WHICH TIME THEY ARE WEANED, THEN A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE THEY GIVE BIRTH IN THE SPRING. wHEN YOU START SEEING THE DOES WITHOUT LAST YEARS FAWNS, THEY ARE HITTING THE GROUND.

And that is how I post when I don't look up when typing, with cap locks on!

pls1911
03-23-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm just west of Ft Worth, not quite to Weatherford, and have lost a dozen goats to a cougar since Christmas.
Due to the growing density of neighbors , I don't really want to kill the cat, so Sugar and Sally have come to live at my house.... see the avatar. Adjoining place lost a yearling longhorn too, same MO... THAT'S a big haul for anything.
Still have coyotes plenty and bob cats too, but the big cat problem has gone for now that the singing sisters have arrived.

jonp
03-23-2014, 01:28 PM
I've called in turkeys, bears, bobcats, coyotes, owls, foxes, hawks but never a cougar and I don't think I want to.

GaryN
03-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I called in an owl at night one time. I was sitting there calling, waiting for a bit before turning on my light and an owl buzzed me just barely over my head. Scared the crud out of me.

xacex
03-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Thank you for the input Tom. Anything that may be different than what these animals may be used to might just turn them off. I have no Idea what the difference is as of yet.

Cornbread
06-27-2014, 07:52 PM
I used to predator call cougar a lot when I lived in Oregon. If you do it right you'll get bear coming in too. Here is what worked for me. Get a small fawn decoy or archery deer target that is small enough to be a fawn and looks realistic. Cut the back legs off and paint blood all over the neck. Also get one of the little moving rabbit on a stick deals. When you set up place it in a bush or brush so it looks like its back is broken and it is trying to get up on its front legs. Spike that rabbit on a stick deal down near where its tail would be and turn it on. Put your remote caller under decoys neck and sit back as far as you can to get a clear field of view of as much area as you can around it. Call for 45 minutes to an hour at each stand before moving. Do not under any circumstances move at all during the whole time and always sit with your back against a tree or rock that completely blocks you from behind. Calling big predators can be a blast and no two ever come in the same so be ready for anything. I think at the time I was averaging 40 - 50 stands per every bear or cougar coming in. It was fun but you really have to put your time in to get them that way.

xacex
06-30-2014, 02:29 AM
Now that sounds like a winner there cornbread. I will have to look around for a decoy. I have the calls, and a couple different rabbit decoys. The mojo sounds perfect for this. The call I have is remote as well, but so far I have not got the 100 yard advertised remote distance with it. So far I have not got a cat this year, but folks in the area know I am on the hunt and have a tag. I did get a call from a local rancher that has one popping up on his fields, and wanted to know if I wanted to sit out at his place.

Something like this maybe with the modifications you mention?

http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Frantic-Predator-Decoy-Powered/dp/B004WIU5RE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=05151ATP8VJNDTFAK073

Or this.

http://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-Predator-5987FN-Fawn-Decoy/dp/B0000W5COM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=05151ATP8VJNDTFAK073

Petrol & Powder
06-30-2014, 06:27 AM
I keep waiting for someone to post: go to a cheap bar, find the older woman sitting alone and say, "so, come here often?"

Cornbread
06-30-2014, 11:38 AM
That first one looks really good decoy wise. If it comes too shiny, a quick mist of flat rust brown colored spray paint will cure that.

quilbilly
06-30-2014, 12:03 PM
I am an enthusiatic coyote caller but never really been interested in the cats for some reason even though I have had many mountain lions in over the years. I do enjoy embarrassing them when they come in and they realize they have been "had". Yes, they do act embarrassed just like a house cat that falls off a pedestal while asleep and acts nonchalant which is funny as heck. Personally, I would wait until the leaves drop off the bushes in late fall if you live in the jungle (aka rainforest) like I do so you can at least see more than 25 yards. The call I have that has most interested the big kitties is a much treasured, old wood Herters call that sounds like a fawn in distress but I have yet to hear a modern call that sounds quite that good. If I were to be actively hunting the big cats in my neighborhood, my choice of firearms is my 7mm TCU carbine with cast 130 gr boolits. As another poster mentioned, the big kitties can be very cautious to come to the call. I worked one once that took almost 45 minutes to cover the last hundred yards after he spooked the coyotes I was actually calling (the big kitties love to eat coyote).

xacex
06-30-2014, 01:09 PM
I keep waiting for someone to post: go to a cheap bar, find the older woman sitting alone and say, "so, come here often?"
No, those cougars are easy to call in. It how I get free drinks at the bar. They get pissed when I call my wife over, and hand her the drink.

Cornbread
06-30-2014, 04:17 PM
I am an enthusiatic coyote caller but never really been interested in the cats for some reason even though I have had many mountain lions in over the years. I do enjoy embarrassing them when they come in and they realize they have been "had". Yes, they do act embarrassed just like a house cat that falls off a pedestal while asleep and acts nonchalant which is funny as heck. Personally, I would wait until the leaves drop off the bushes in late fall if you live in the jungle (aka rainforest) like I do so you can at least see more than 25 yards. The call I have that has most interested the big kitties is a much treasured, old wood Herters call that sounds like a fawn in distress but I have yet to hear a modern call that sounds quite that good. If I were to be actively hunting the big cats in my neighborhood, my choice of firearms is my 7mm TCU carbine with cast 130 gr boolits. As another poster mentioned, the big kitties can be very cautious to come to the call. I worked one once that took almost 45 minutes to cover the last hundred yards after he spooked the coyotes I was actually calling (the big kitties love to eat coyote).

I use mouth calls as well. I use some closed reed all wood calls. Nearly all my calls are various fawn in distress. I had better luck with my mouth calls than I did with the electronic caller but the OP said they had an electronic caller and I have used those quite a bit as well. I was always hunting with a longbow there in Oregon so I had to get them fairly close to even get a shot, now days I use the same setup only I use a rifle here in Montana and I am calling for wolves.

I thought cats were hard to call.....man they have nothing on the wolves out here. Smart buggers they'll hang up in the timber around you and circle and howl where you can't see them until they are sure if it is for real or not. If they scent you they are gone like ghosts some days and other days they'll get 1,000 yards away and howl at you from the next ridge. Hands down they are the smartest animal I have ever hunted but just like cougars, they make mistakes and that gets exploited via the business end of my 308 but I'm not good enough at it yet to try the longbow for wolves.

davidheart
06-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Before LL chimes in...not the old lady kind.

The first thing that popped into my mind! :D

Actually we called one in a couple years ago while bowhunting for deer in PA. I could not believe what I was looking at.... and it was walking straight at me looking for the estrus bleat. (the bleat in a can type) This extremely large cat was stalking straight into me and got within 20 yards before I rustled and it realized I was a human and ran off.

My buddy kept whispering "Shoot it! Shoot it!" and I said "I'm not going to shoot a cat!".... looking back on the surreal experience today, I wish I shot it.

Petrol & Powder
06-30-2014, 06:21 PM
No, those cougars are easy to call in. It how I get free drinks at the bar. They get pissed when I call my wife over, and hand her the drink.

Well played !

quilbilly
07-01-2014, 12:58 PM
The big kitties and even the bobcats are pretty dumb but extremely cautious and proud which is why they are easy to embarrass. I really shouldn't say hunting the big kitties doesn't interest me. We live on a very very quiet gravel rural road and one morning when I went out to the mailbox to get the morning paper, I caught a freshly weaned young lion sleeping in front of the box right on the road. I embarrassed the heck out of him. He was jet black and about 60#. Him I want if he ever shows up again on my trail cams and is grown up. My wife does a better job posting pics than I and one of these days she will put an album of our trail cam pics on photo bucket which will include a couple lions in our backyard as well as the usual deer, bear, coyotes etc.

nanuk
07-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I have a picture somewhere that a fellow took of a cougar hanging off the neck of a cow moose from the underside, the cougar had the moose's whole nose in its mouth. the guy figured it was smothering the moose.
When he drove back through the area later that day, he found the remains of a fresh moose kill near where he thought he saw the cougar. figured it was the same one.

We have them around here. never thought about hunting them. I think we'd need a trapper's licence for that

smilin jack
07-26-2014, 01:44 PM
John and I were muzzle loading for elk in western Oregon in late November a few years ago. A herd of cows ran down past me off a ridge and kept going. We decided to each circle around and meet at the top.
I used my calf call several times hoping to get an elk to check it out. I looked up and saw a large brown tail twitching behind a shoulder high fir tree. It took me about 1/2 a second to realize it was a cougar crouched ready to pounce on me.
I raised the 58 cal with minnie ball, cocked and aimed in one motion. The cat wasn't there... it was flying thru the air off to my right, heading out of the area. No shots fired.
John definitely heard me holler to get down here. He wouldn't go into the tall timber from our clear cut. He grabbed my arm and told me it was "Miller Time", so we headed back to camp several miles away.
Yes, it did get my pulse rate going pretty fast.
Have been back to that area many times calling for bear or cougar but nothing showed.

Dave

Bullwolf
07-26-2014, 11:11 PM
From my Ranch on the California side, I often find pictures of Cougars on the game cameras along my road in. I first noticed this one at night.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54654&d=1353992497

I started paying attention more after that.

- Bullwolf

xacex
07-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Thanks for posting the trail cam pics Bullwulf.

Three44s
07-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Those game cam pics remind me of the Buck Owins song with the partial lyric: "Do, do, do .... lookin' out my back door" ........

Yes indeed!

We have had a fair amount of trouble with cougar here at the home ranch.

The first known attack by cat happened in the late spring of '05.

We lost a 275# calf to one. I did not find that very surprising.

But on July 8th of that same year ......... all hell broke lose.

A cat tried a young horse ......... missed, then drilled a mature cow and then in the same initial attack .... dropped a 1300# Angus bull.

I did not believe it was a cat at first. But when the horse came up with convincing scratch marks and the bull's tounge was pulled out of his head ...........

.......... things sort of came into focus ........... real quick.

The number one thing about calling cougars is not what call you use. It is that you must do an unbelievable amount of scouting for the cat's presence ........... if the cat ain't there ......... you are wasting your time. It will not come to your call if it's miles away.

Now, you want to "pattern" a cougar in order to be successful. Get it's time frame and how it travels.

Call accordingly.

Lastly, Hounds trump calls ............ that's why the "anti's" banned hounds everywhere they could.

Best regards

Three 44s