PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Parts Policy Sucks

FThera
03-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Long story short, my Rossi 92 came from the factory with both Cartridge Guide Screws stripped out. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until I was 3/4 of the way through doing the Steve's Guns slick up and went to reinstall the guides.

I called Rossi to order new guides and screws. After giving them my serial number and the part numbers I need, the nice man in customer service tells me these are restricted parts and I will have to return the gun to Rossi to be serviced. They'll be happy to send me a shipping label for $40 and quoted a 6-8 week turn around. They also told me that if they determine the gun has been modified it will void the warranty and the repair costs will be mine.

Further discussion revealed that ALL internal parts are now "RESTRICTED" parts and they can not sell them without their repair department doing the work. They wouldn't even sell me 2 new screws!

I was getting ready to purchase a second 92 but this parts policy is enough to send me looking elsewhere.

There is a thread on Rossi Rifleman that discusses Rossi is working on a fix for this parts policy and hope to have it resolved in a year or so. In the mean time it appears any of us that purchase a Rossi 92 are screwed unless we send the gun to Rossi for repare work.

Thanks to Steve I have an easy $6 fix and no 6-8 week wait, while Rossi holds me hostage with their parts policy.

jjamna
03-18-2014, 11:27 PM
You can check Numrick or Numrich gun parts. They may or may not be able to help.

weasel 21
03-19-2014, 01:00 AM
After looking at these Rossi's at Big 5 for the last couple years, those Winchesters & Marlins I bought from Big 5 ten years ago are looking mighty fine right now!

Guesser
03-19-2014, 11:42 AM
There are coming to a gun manufacturer near you more and more restricted parts. Parts that they won't sell openly and rehire you to send the gun in. Since S&W took over Thompson Center they have restricted a large list of T/C parts that I used to buy from T/C. The only company I see opening or loosening restrictions on parts is Taurus and that is only on a couple of the small semi autos made in the U.S. Taurus says that they are working at loosening more and more models but it is a slow process.
I see this as a way for small independent machine shops to enter into the parts business and it is happening.

abqcaster
03-19-2014, 11:48 AM
I see this as a way for small independent machine shops to enter into the parts business and it is happening.

Exactly, Guesser! People will find alternatives!

jmort
03-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Love Ruger. Try ordering Ruger parts.

Smoke4320
03-19-2014, 01:11 PM
"There is a thread on Rossi Rifleman that discusses Rossi is working on a fix for this parts policy and hope to have it resolved in a year or so. In the mean time it appears any of us that purchase a Rossi 92 are screwed unless we send the gun to Rossi for repare work."

would that not be unscrewed

retiredPO
03-19-2014, 01:59 PM
I have followed the bad rap on Rossi for about a yr. but decided to jump in anyway and bought two used.... (By the Way Taurus now owns Rossi)(so Gusser your right it is getting better with Rossi).. And I had to have about 200 + dollars of work done to replace a barrel and bolt (I screwed up)... they quoted an approx price... 40 to ship.... 30 for a bench charge... and then the parts.
between... 200. and 250..... they said 6-8 weeks.... 10 days later my gun arrived fully fixed they did more than was expected and NO BILL.... just that original 70.00 to send it in and have it looked at. I for one am a Believer.... Taurus is doing a great job turning Rossi's reputation around.

starmac
03-19-2014, 02:04 PM
I have followed the bad rap on Rossi for about a yr. but decided to jump in anyway and bought two used.... (By the Way Taurus now owns Rossi)(so Gusser your right it is getting better with Rossi).. And I had to have about 200 + dollars of work done to replace a barrel and bolt (I screwed up)... they quoted an approx price... 40 to ship.... 30 for a bench charge... and then the parts.
between... 200. and 250..... they said 6-8 weeks.... 10 days later my gun arrived fully fixed they did more than was expected and NO BILL.... just that original 70.00 to send it in and have it looked at. I for one am a Believer.... Taurus is doing a great job turning Rossi's reputation around.

Curious mind want to know, what did you do to screw up a barrel and bolt?? This is one time I would prefer to learn from someone else mistake.

bangerjim
03-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Just make them!!!! If you do not have a lathe, find a buddy that does.

No big whoop. I never order parts....always make them. My parts are BETTER than the OEM parts!

banger

FThera
03-19-2014, 04:16 PM
When I talked to Steve Young the other day he told me he is looking into making more Rossi parts too. The internal parts on my 92 look like they were forged in the stone age.

retiredPO
03-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Not an easy thing to admit, but I double charged a load,... been relaoding for a lot of yrs, and that was a first, and hopefully a last...changed my normal method and procedure.....wont be doing that again....
It was an Oct. Barrel 44 mag.... and again giving credit to Rossi..... I told them it was a used rifle, and I told them I was shooting reloads, and I told them I double charged the load...... all of which put the charge on me.... again, they are trying to rebuild loyalty..... they got the job done here.

FergusonTO35
03-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Biggest problem I see is that the U.S. importer Braztech is not Taurus, they are another company entirely. Taurus might improve the manufacture and build quality but there is still going to be a bottleneck on parts and repairs. Then when Braztech goes out of business/reorganizes/whatever the new importer is going to disavow all the guns sold by previous importers just as always has happened.

blikseme300
03-20-2014, 10:39 PM
The quality of their work and their parts policy have convinced me to stay away from their products. 5 out of 5 NIB .357 rifles had blasting beads stuck between the barrel and cartridge tube. Edges around the chamber and loading gate could be used to slice small animal throats due to the burrs. Junk product with non-existent customer service.

Just Duke
03-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Barbie bought one that would't feed anything but 38 Specials. She sold it after shooting it 5 times and lost $150.00. I have a link if anyone wants it.

jh45gun
03-23-2014, 01:27 AM
I had a stripped screw problem with my Ranch Hand on the rail that is above the loading gate and Rossi treated me well. They paid for the shipping both ways and fixed the gun and even gave me a new rear back sight since I told them the gun was so far off with the front sight being too low I had to modify the back sight to get it to shoot. (Later I just put a higher fiber optic front sight on it after they gave me a new back sight) Turn around time was about 6 weeks but at least they got it done and back to me and it works fine now. I woud call them and question the 40 dollar charge as others have reported no charge either.

Ragnarok
03-23-2014, 09:39 AM
I've had Ruger just send me parts in the past...even sent me the wrong parts and sent me some more..all FREE!

Rayc384
03-23-2014, 10:19 AM
http://www.mmgunsmithing.com
I have gotten Rossi 92 parts from these folks.

HangFireW8
03-23-2014, 10:58 AM

Taurus has owned Rossi for how long now, a decade? If they are going to turn Rossi's rep around, I wish they would get on with it.

Tazman1602
03-25-2014, 07:33 PM
I've got five Rossi '92's and have never had an issue with them. I did all of Steve's mods to them except the 44 mags which didn't really need any mods. The .38/.357's seem to be the worst with the feed issues but they're a piece of cake to fix.

For the price, you can't go wrong IF you're willing to work on them a bit.............

Art

sidecarmike
03-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Interesting. I have a Circuit Judge that I really enjoy shooting. so much so that I bought my sister one. I called the shop in Minnesota and gave them my credit card and had her go in and actually make the purchase. When she bought it, she didn't notice a crack in the stock. The shop insisted that she had to deal directly with Rossi. I thought that odd, but wasn't there to question it. She called them and they sent her a replacement stock, instructing her to just discard the old one. She had to fit the new one herself, but is happy with the result.

jh45gun
03-25-2014, 08:09 PM
That sounds like a positive outcome.

Buckshot
03-28-2014, 01:47 AM
..............Finally got the hammer screw for my case colored Rossi 45 Colt. Ordered the blued screw and the lovely folks at Rossi apparently decided I needed a stainless screw. Got it today and will have to call those wonderfull people tomorrow to see how much gas will be entailed to get the correct one. It came Fed-Ex. Ah-well. A fine exercise in learning to remain calm and learn forgiveness while dealing with those who may be handicapped.

.............Buckshot

FThera
03-28-2014, 03:31 AM
Per Steve Young suggestion, I got a couple Winchester screws ($6) for the stripped cartridge feed guides, drilled and taped my old guides to 6/48, finished up doing Steve's mods and polishing things up. I installed Steve's ejector spring and a Wolf 18# Ruger Blackhawk hammer spring, left the trigger spring alone. The gun runs slick as snot and doesn't miss a beat cycled fast or slow. In fact I can't get it to jam no matter what I do.. My trigger pull is a nice crisp 4lb-6oz that I'm going to leave alone for now.

The one thing i did that seemed to smooth the action the most was working over the bottom of the bolt where it slides back over the face of the hammer and giving it a mirror polish. The action had quite a noticeable bump in that area as the bolt came back forward into battery.

TCLouis
03-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Realizing Rossi (now I guess it is Braztech) had one of the most pitiful parts program in the gun Industry I ordered a tang sight for my model 92 some time ago.

I hope I live long enough to see it arrive and be used.

Called the servie number and they said wait time could be up to an hour for a service representative.

On hour wait and some dumba$$ in the Braztech big office has not come up with a remedy.

That said I found a very nice load this weekend with 358156 (why did I wait so long to get that mold) crimped in the crimp groove, 12. gr. of 10B101, wsp and RP cases.

It held minute of deer heart for 5 shots at 120 or so arm rested on a bench.

Half that at 50.

Feeds everything I have tried as long as I stay under the magic OAL it requires.

Airman Basic
03-29-2014, 05:03 AM
..............Finally got the hammer screw for my case colored Rossi 45 Colt. Ordered the blued screw and the lovely folks at Rossi apparently decided I needed a stainless screw. Got it today and will have to call those wonderfull people tomorrow to see how much gas will be entailed to get the correct one. It came Fed-Ex. Ah-well. A fine exercise in learning to remain calm and learn forgiveness while dealing with those who may be handicapped.

.............Buckshot
Have you considered something like this, Buckshot?
http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/stainless-steel-blackener.html

Newtire
03-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Long story short, my Rossi 92 came from the factory with both Cartridge Guide Screws stripped out. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until I was 3/4 of the way through doing the Steve's Guns slick up and went to reinstall the guides.

I called Rossi to order new guides and screws. After giving them my serial number and the part numbers I need, the nice man in customer service tells me these are restricted parts and I will have to return the gun to Rossi to be serviced. They'll be happy to send me a shipping label for $40 and quoted a 6-8 week turn around. They also told me that if they determine the gun has been modified it will void the warranty and the repair costs will be mine.

Further discussion revealed that ALL internal parts are now "RESTRICTED" parts and they can not sell them without their repair department doing the work. They wouldn't even sell me 2 new screws!

I was getting ready to purchase a second 92 but this parts policy is enough to send me looking elsewhere.

There is a thread on Rossi Rifleman that discusses Rossi is working on a fix for this parts policy and hope to have it resolved in a year or so. In the mean time it appears any of us that purchase a Rossi 92 are screwed unless we send the gun to Rossi for repare work.

Thanks to Steve I have an easy $6 fix and no 6-8 week wait, while Rossi holds me hostage with their parts policy.Rossi's policy seems to be to see how they can get out of fixing their mistakes. No more Rossi's for me.

Buckshot
03-30-2014, 01:21 AM
..............I called Rossi/Braztech on Friday. My invoice showed a part number for a blued screw. When I got it I figured it might be plain carbon steel "In the white". I tried to blue it but no bueno pro ca-ca. Obviously a stainless steel screw. They were very apologetic, didn't ask for the shipped screw back and said they would be sure that the correct screw was shipped 'That day'. I cannot complain about their phone help in the least as they were at all times courteous and tried to be helpfull. It just seems like these things happen to me. Nothing is ever simple for some reason.

..............Buckshot

Jacko.357
03-30-2014, 05:21 AM
This is the Joy of the Internet, any and all issue's with a new Firearm and suddenly the world knows all about it and before long every Rifle that company makes is Rubbish, the service sucks and the sky's falling in

I have 2 Rossi's - my M93 .357 feeds 38 Special or .357 perfectly, rnfp or SWC and is my favourite Rifle, never a hint of trouble with it. My Rio Grande 45.70 has given me some issue's. I contacted the distributor here in Australia, they where very helpful and I sent it back to them under Warrantee for a Fail to Fire issue. The Gunsmith they use for Warrantee Work did not do a great job and it still had the Fail to Fire issue but to a lessor extent. Rather than ship the Rifle back to them 1500 Kilometres and wait I paid my local Gunsmith an hours wages to correct the issue. I leave things like this for the experts to fix, it turned out to be a Burr stopping the Bolt from closing from time to time. The Rifle Functions perfectly now. From what I see about the place there is a lot of manufactures out there, American and Foreign that need a long hard look at their quality control.

regards Jacko

Newtire
03-30-2014, 12:06 PM
This is the Joy of the Internet, any and all issue's with a new Firearm and suddenly the world knows all about it and before long every Rifle that company makes is Rubbish, the service sucks and the sky's falling in

I have 2 Rossi's - my M93 .357 feeds 38 Special or .357 perfectly, rnfp or SWC and is my favourite Rifle, never a hint of trouble with it. My Rio Grande 45.70 has given me some issue's. I contacted the distributor here in Australia, they where very helpful and I sent it back to them under Warrantee for a Fail to Fire issue. The Gunsmith they use for Warrantee Work did not do a great job and it still had the Fail to Fire issue but to a lessor extent. Rather than ship the Rifle back to them 1500 Kilometres and wait I paid my local Gunsmith an hours wages to correct the issue. I leave things like this for the experts to fix, it turned out to be a Burr stopping the Bolt from closing from time to time. The Rifle Functions perfectly now. From what I see about the place there is a lot of manufactures out there, American and Foreign that need a long hard look at their quality control.

regards JackoWell, maybe you could sweet talk them for me and see if they can make good on a mis-machined barrel they won't take back.

blikseme300
03-30-2014, 09:34 PM

regards Jacko

About a year ago I got the urge to get another lever in .357 or .44mag. The LGS had 5 NIB Rossi's in boxes but after looking each over and noting the sharp edges/burrs and bead blasting media in the nooks & crannies I declined. These rifles are probably good project items but why buy an inferior product, rework it to function and have no proper access to parts?