PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here! Hello from Missouri!

RacingRedGT
03-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Just saying Hello. Ive been reloading for a while now. Decided to expand my hobbies. Ive been reading like a fiend and have started compiling equipment and lead (wheel weights). I started collecting wheel weights about 2 weeks ago, up to 240lbs of lead. Picking up another 400+lbs tomorrow. In my line of work I get a chance to meet a lot of people. My networking skills are paying off.

So far Ive melted down 94lbs of ingots. Heres a few pictures. I was excited when I came home today to see my order from MidwayUsa sitting on my doorstep. Its pays off living 2 hours away from them. I get my orders in 2 days.

The ingots are not the prettiest. I learned quite a bit in the first session of melting down the wheel weights.

1) Zinc is a sneaky sucker. Looks are deceiving. Thought I got them all when sorting, missed 3-4 in a 100lb bucket. Thankfully I kept the temps in the 650-700 range as a precaution.
2) Putting hot molds on a carpet was dumb and didn't realize it would melt it within seconds. Switched to large paving stones very quickly.
3) Neighbors and passerby's give you weird looks when are fully dressed in warm weather while wearing a breathing mask and welding gloves.
4) Level ground in a must, lop sided ingots don't stack well and look funny.
5) Heat, Heat and more Heat. It took forever to get the first batch going. I didn't want to overheat, so I kept the flame down. After about an hour and decided to crank it to get it going. Lid helped too. Went to Home Depot last night, bought some steel flashing and made a heat shield.

I love this site by the way. Ive learned so much and there is a ton of reading left. Im going to keep it simple for now and just do wheel weights. Seems like a good starting point. Don't have to worry about adding to much to it to make bullets for my .44mag or .40s. Hardness should be good enough, as long as I flux good to keep the tin in.

I do plan on tumble lubing for now. We will see how it goes. Keeping costs down for now. Wife has been nice so far, don't think I can swing another $200+ for a sizing/lubricator. Seen lots of good reviews on the Lee sizing kits with lube.

Ubet
03-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Welcome to the site.

Hawkeye45
03-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the madness. You are starting off fine, more and more equipment will follow as needed. If you have a question about a particular piece, just ask. You will get a lot of opinions. LOL

Where in the show me state are you?

Mr. Ed

TCFAN
03-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Welcome RacingRedGT. You have found the right place to learn all you ever want to know about casting boolits...........Terry

seanhagerty
03-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Yes, where are you from? I'm near Fort Leonard wood. Would love to have a dual casting session some time.

wrongway
03-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Hello newbie welcome to this site you'll find that there are a lot of great people on here willing to help you in anyway they can, I know first hand they've helped me alot

RacingRedGT
03-18-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm in Blue Springs. Just east of KCMO.

histed
03-18-2014, 08:07 PM
+1 for what wrongway said. You name it, there's likely several people here who've already been there. Me, I now a helpless addict. Be told there's no cure, praise be

country gent
03-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Welcome and enjoy the addiction.

RacingRedGT
03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Welcome and enjoy the addiction.

My wife has been very patient with my addictions. Whenever she does say something, I normally respond, "Its better than being addicted to crack!"

leeggen
03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the maddness of casting. Misourie loves company. Just seems once you start it becomes and addiction. More molds just so you can get more guns to need more lead to need more equipment and so on.
Don't we all love it. 40 cal not hard to reload and cast for, kust read a bunch of gearnashers, I beleive, threads and you won't have to do the leading learning curve. Also this google sight will make it easier to find info. https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum
It is made for us.
CD

Outer Rondacker
03-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Welcome aboard.

RacingRedGT
03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the maddness of casting. Misourie loves company. Just seems once you start it becomes and addiction. More molds just so you can get more guns to need more lead to need more equipment and so on.
Don't we all love it. 40 cal not hard to reload and cast for, kust read a bunch of gearnashers, I beleive, threads and you won't have to do the leading learning curve. Also this google sight will make it easier to find info. https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum
It is made for us.
CD

Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

And thanks for the warm welcomes everyone.

s mac
03-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Welcome from southwest MO, this is a great site, great folks.

brstevns
03-18-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm in Blue Springs. Just east of KCMO.

(Blue Springs) Quantrill territory! Lots of Civil War History around you!

yman
03-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Welcome aboard, molding is just as much fun as reloading. Long as you dont get a hot piece down your glove. This site is great for reseach and answers. Alot guys here know how its done. Good luck and enjoy.

bangerjim
03-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Welcome. If you do not want to spend all that money on lubra-matics, try powder coating. Covered VERY well in the stickies on here. Very low investment to start (dry tumble) and eliminates any need for grease and other lubes. NO LEADING! Electrostatic coating is the best way to go once you get your feel of PC'ing.

banger

smoked turkey
03-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Another welcome from southwest MO. As you have already found out, this is a great site. You will find answers to a lot of questions in the "stickies". I also recommend you get the Lyman cast boolit handbook for a lot of reference info. You will also quickly learn we are all a bunch of enablers who will try to get you to expand your reloading habit so you can save even more money!

RacingRedGT
03-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Welcome. If you do not want to spend all that money on lubra-matics, try powder coating. Covered VERY well in the stickies on here. Very low investment to start (dry tumble) and eliminates any need for grease and other lubes. NO LEADING! Electrostatic coating is the best way to go once you get your feel of PC'ing.

banger

It's funny that you mention that. I'm up to page seven of the main PC sticky thread. Already found a working harbor freight coupon code. [smilie=l:

RacingRedGT
03-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Another welcome from southwest MO. As you have already found out, this is a great site. You will find answers to a lot of questions in the "stickies". I also recommend you get the Lyman cast boolit handbook for a lot of reference info. You will also quickly learn we are all a bunch of enablers who will try to get you to expand your reloading habit so you can save even more money!

It's cool. As long as I don't leave receipts around the house I can always use the, "Honey, I've had that for years!" excuse.

MOcaster
03-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Welcome from southeast MO. I love getting orders from Midway in two days, too. Good luck with the addiction.

Bad Water Bill
03-19-2014, 03:41 AM
After you have cast a couple hundred show your blushing young bride just what it would have cost to purchased the same amount of loaded rounds.

CASE CLOSED.:bigsmyl2:ds.

Pb2au
03-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Welcome! Make the most of it. There is no less than about 4 zillion years of info here.......

Blacksmith
03-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Welcome!

When the addiction really gets started and you start buying guns because you got a good deal on a mold in a caliber you didn't have just remember you carry an empty gun case out of the house so when it comes back full the wife thinks it was already here.

I lived in Knob Noster when I was stationed at Whiteman AFB.

CBRookie
03-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Welcome! From another newbie in Independence. You should check out the Cast Bullet matches at Pioneer the 1st Saturdays of the month. It will also be the site of the CBA Nationals the 1st weekend of September. You don't have to be a member to shoot the matches (or go watch them). A small but dedicated bunch. About 20 min. from you. http://www.pioneergunclub.org/

Best of luck with your new found interest,
Kevin

Just Duke
03-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Welcome and glad you made it. Great job on the smelting sir.
We have a Missouri Lead Slingers sub forum you might want to stop in and say hi.
The link is in my profile.

RacingRedGT
03-22-2014, 12:21 AM
Welcome! From another newbie in Independence. You should check out the Cast Bullet matches at Pioneer the 1st Saturdays of the month. It will also be the site of the CBA Nationals the 1st weekend of September. You don't have to be a member to shoot the matches (or go watch them). A small but dedicated bunch. About 20 min. from you. http://www.pioneergunclub.org/

Best of luck with your new found interest,
Kevin

I didn't know they had those there. I've already looked at becoming a member there. Might join this summer.