PDA

View Full Version : N Dakota wants you!

wch
03-18-2014, 07:35 AM
N. Dakota has "25,000 jobs available in all industries" according to the state government, and they want you to come to work.

white eagle
03-18-2014, 07:36 AM
got any links?

Garyshome
03-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Too old to move & don't care for the weather either!

Sweetpea
03-18-2014, 08:30 AM
There's no housing...

HarryT
03-18-2014, 09:44 AM
25,000 jobs, do you have to speak Spanish?

Where's all those unwanted FEMA trailers from New Orleans? They would satisfy the housing shortage.

richhodg66
03-18-2014, 09:51 AM
If I were looking for work and could stand the Winters, I'd be up there in a heartbeat. I love the Midwest, but there are times I think the Winters are too much for me right here where I am.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-18-2014, 10:13 AM
I have 3 friends working over there, making tons of money. I wish I was able to join them.
It's long hours but you do get compensated. Another friend is a heavy truck/ equipment mechanic here in town
and is on a rotation to go there for 2 -3 weeks at a time. His last stint, 3 weeks long,
netted him just under 8000 bucks. Not bad pay if you ask me. His outfit has a hotel booked though.
Housing is a issue . Also, Do not buy any camper trailers that have been there- the weather is
pretty conducive to heavy mold.

beezapilot
03-18-2014, 10:29 AM
A few years ago I was on a cross county motorcycle trip and stopped at a cafe (nope there are no hotel reservations seemingly anywhere), in just chatting with people I was offered several jobs. Haul a camper up there- if you don't like the job you can probably sell it at a profit and leave. ND is the only state with a HUGE budget surplus last I looked, corn subsidies and oil.

Love Life
03-18-2014, 10:32 AM
I have looked at the online jobs sites. Are there any other resources I need to be looking at? I've been interested for a good while.

wch
03-18-2014, 11:02 AM
I have looked at the online jobs sites. Are there any other resources I need to be looking at? I've been interested for a good while.

I'd try the online newspaper classifieds in the towns where you might want to live.

Dan Cash
03-18-2014, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=HarryT;2691331]25,000 jobs, do you have to speak Spanish?
QUOTE]

No, not yet but the wetbacks are here.

jcwit
03-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Where's all those unwanted FEMA trailers from New Orleans? They would satisfy the housing shortage.

I can just imagine living in a FEMA trailer in a No. Dakota winter!

waksupi
03-18-2014, 11:51 AM

A lot of them have been moved there. A friend of mine was involved in transporting some of them. In fact, they are a member of this forum, they may have some input on that, if they see this topic.

Old School Big Bore
03-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I did two weeks at Camp Grafton (outside Devil's Lake) one august going through Combat Engineer school. High pressure cell parked there & it was 104 in the shade, 98 at night, heat index 118 day/102 night. I'll stay in Texas, thank you.

Superfly
03-18-2014, 12:11 PM
What you trying to tell me it gets warm and humid in the North GO figure. It can be brutal up here for heat and cold damn near seen 200 degree temp swings in a year YES 200. outside working in winter -97 below summer 105 degrees without humidity index added in.

It is still a great place to live in the north.

Gator 45/70
03-18-2014, 12:13 PM
There's about 350 Fema Trailers stacked up along Hwy 190 on the way to Krotch Spings, Been there for about 4 yrs... Rotting

wch
03-18-2014, 12:14 PM
I see and hear a lot of folks looking for work; I guess the weather figures into the equation in a big way- I always went for the money!

Dframe
03-18-2014, 12:25 PM
I loved traveling there in the summer. If I ever move again it will be to get closer to the equater NOT further away.

merlin101
03-18-2014, 12:38 PM
I've thought about it, but had a good job here in NY. Now the jobs not so good I've been looking locally and not much around that I want to do for a wage I'd do it for so..... gotta give it some thought.

starmac
03-18-2014, 01:07 PM
They are short on all types of hands (including wallmart greeters), but if a guy wants to work in the oilfield and make bucks, you just need to be there. I have several friends that have worked there, supposedly you can not drink a cup of coffee, without someone offering you a job. Housing is a big problem, it is best to work for an outfit that has a man camp.

HarryT
03-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Google North Dakota Oilfield Employment Guide

rexherring
03-18-2014, 07:54 PM
I live in the "oil area" here in ND. There is housing but all of the greedy SOB's here are bleeding the people who want to work to death. If housing was affordable, we'd have all the help we need coming here.

Weather? yup we have it, all kinds.

tinsnips
03-19-2014, 02:49 AM
I have lived here my whole life all 57 years. I have never seen people being ripped off as bad as they are getting right now . Rent in Williston is higher than any place in the whole US, Food prices are quite high also. I have known a quite a few people who have came here to make big money but have left, do to all the high prices. I feel sorry for the older people who are on a fixed income they are not having a good time trying to make ends meet. So think hard before you come to the land of rip offs.

ole 5 hole group
03-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Yup, I have to agree. It's not North Dakota Wants You - It's North Dakota Wants Your Money - period.

25 years ago there were signs in NW North Dakota proclaiming "North Dakota Friendly" now all the people living in that area know that it's now "North Dakota Greed".

The infrastructure up there is way behind the "rush" and it'll be years before they even start to catch-up. Downtown Manhattan doesn't have anything on Williston, ND relative to traffic. Never knew Wallmart ever had such high prices as they have in Williston. Before long I think that area will give California a run for their money relative to gas prices - they are currently highest in the State with a Tesoro refinery located in Mandan, ND.

Just to show how some up there treat their long time neighbors - about 18 months ago several elder seniors were evicted from their apartments they had been residing in for the past decade because the apartment owners raised the rent so damn high - and it's been raised several times since.

If you don't have excellent mechanically or other work skills, previously arranged in writing for affordable housing from your job provider, written agreement on per diem expenses - then what will happen is you will make good money but you will give it all back to the "friendly North Dakota locals", so when you get fed up with everything you'll hit the road no better off than you came. Have the written agreements in place and you'll make damn good money but your day to day living won't be much to talk about and the schools are crowded right now and when they do catch-up, don't expect "quality teachers" to flock to the area with the housing and living expenses as they are.

As for hunting - Ya, great area but the landowner will probably charge you $100.00 per day per gun to walk his land for pheasants and sharptail. The price 10 years ago was $50.00 a gun - didn't pay then and haven't been back since to hunt. No idea on a deer lease. There's a lot of State land in the area but I hear it's a bit crowded these days.

Just a side note - my granddaughter & I were planning to call for mountain lion this fall - couldn't find a room within 60 miles of the Williston area but did find a converted rail cargo container motel across the border in Montana that had a couple beds for $90.00 a night - passed on the hunt. Next year maybe we'll tent camp if allowed on State Land but then again, maybe we'll just stay the hell out of that greedy area.

bbs70
03-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Gator 45/70

How did Krotch Springs get its name.
Inquiring minds want to know.

cheese1566
03-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Oil, oil , oil...in the Bakken formation in the western side of the state.
I hear people are going to the oil industry that the areas cannot keep employees in other fields like law enforcement, emergency services, fast foods... heck the last I heard McDonalds up there was paying something around $15 an hour.
I know traffic is horrendous, my dad used to pilot car services from SD and take heavy equipment to the ND/Canada border.

We are feeling it here as many guys are buying houses in the Northern Black Hills (Belle Fourche/Spearfish/Sturgis/ even Rapid City). They leave there families here to live and commute for two weeks at a time to live in man-camps. There is no room room or services for families.

I can see I-90 from my home and can count the truckloads of well pipe and water coming from the south headed north.

Also, there are a lot of guys who leave work around here and go to Gillette, Wyoming to work in the coal industry as well.

me and my dad went up there a few years back to catch the Amtrak from Williston. At that time we were lucky to get a Super8 room in a nearby town 45 minutes away! I recalled the only reason we did was because it was on the weekend and workers left to go home. I still remember the carpet in the hallways of the hotel being black stained. I would love to catch the Amtrak again and go to the Izaak Walton Inn for a vacation, but no way now!

But, we do have a nice 1974 SportCoach motorhome I am trying to convince the in-laws to advertise for sale in ND. It would probably fetch a great price and make a nice "condo" for a few guys!!

bearcove
03-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Got to park that RV somewhere. They care about people parking all over the place?

waynem34
03-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Caught the jist of it check constructcorps.com

Randy C
03-19-2014, 11:01 PM
YEP :coffee:

fatboy
03-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Got to park that RV somewhere. They care about people parking all over the place?

some towns here have banned anyone living in a camper within city limits unless it is in a mobile home park. Mandan has big fines for it.

.45Cole
03-21-2014, 12:02 AM
So what is the outlook on the professional side? I'm in chemical engineering and the Denver area is getting a little competitive.

ole 5 hole group
03-21-2014, 07:56 AM
If I were you, I'd just google ND Bakken oil companies, do a little research on the companies and start calling to see what they might have available for you.

rexherring
03-21-2014, 09:01 AM
So what is the outlook on the professional side? I'm in chemical engineering and the Denver area is getting a little competitive.

Check out this place.
http://www.dakotagas.com/About_Us/Jobs/index.html#fsttrk

Dale in Louisiana
03-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Gator 45/70

How did Krotch Springs get its name.
Inquiring minds want to know.

On the Louisiana map it's "Krotz Springs", but you know how people are...

On a different note, I LIVED in a FEMA trailer (and was darned glad to have it) after Hurricane Rita. I did a Louisiana winter without a problem, even in cold (for Louisiana: 25 degrees) weather, although I went through quite a bit of propane for heating. I can't help but think that minus twenty might sort of overtax the heating system.

Dale in Louisiana