PDA

View Full Version : New Marlin 1895

snowwolfe
03-17-2014, 09:21 PM
How do these new rifle perform since merging with Remington? I am guessing they are still made with the same equipment they were before Remington purchased them.
I see the basic 1895 on Gunbrokers for as low as $529. Good value? Good shooters?

wrench man
03-18-2014, 12:32 AM
They are made on the same equipment, but the issue seems to be that it wasn't set up properly after the move to NY, and that the new operators were given MINIMAL instruction too!, the first ones were pretty bad!, seems some of the latest ones are ok??, there has been tell of NEW CNC equipment delivered to NY to make them on?, but there is also tell of Remington moving out of NY??, that present two more possibility's of growing pains!
If you're looking at new ones LOOK it over CLOSELY!, of the Remlins that I've looked at personally only one was ok, several other have been substandard to say the least!

knifemaker
03-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Go to the Marlin forum site and check for the comments in the 1895 45/70 forum and you will see that many of the Marlin shooters do not care for Remlins as they call them. They prefer to buy a used older "JM" marked 1895 or 1894 then the new ones due to poor workmanship.

snowwolfe
03-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks. I have narrowed down my choices to either a Marlin 1895 plain jane or a Henry 45-70. If I buy a Marlin it will be one of those deals that I handle it in a gun shop before buying it to make sure it is a good example.
But I am leaning towards the Henry at the moment.

FergusonTO35
03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
As of a few days ago there was a New Haven 1895 with the tags still on it for a very reasonable price in a local shop. It's not mine and I don't stand to gain from it or anything, PM me if interested.

MT Chambers
03-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks. I have narrowed down my choices to either a Marlin 1895 plain jane or a Henry 45-70. If I buy a Marlin it will be one of those deals that I handle it in a gun shop before buying it to make sure it is a good example.
But I am leaning towards the Henry at the moment.
Unfortunately the problems that I found with an early Remlin guide gun required trying to load, cycle and extract loaded or dummy ammo. It looked good in the store but went back quickly when problems occurred the first time out and ammo was stuck in the mag.

snowwolfe
03-20-2014, 01:04 AM
That's why I plan on carrying 4 dummy rounds with me and testing the rifle out before completing the deal:)

Jailer
03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Well I'm one of the few who are happy with my Remlin 1895 SBL. It's a great shooter.

LeftyDon
03-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Problems can be minor or major and warranty repairs are if'ish too. Most Marlin Owners forum members say buy only in person and not online unless there's clear return policy and really check the gun out during the return period. Major problems has been barrels twisted with sights mounted off center, chamber and rifling problems, poor assembly fit and finish with poor machining plus stocks not bedded or mating well to the receiver. More or less the whole gun can be wrong. IMHO, much better off, for now, looking for a gun with JM stamp on the barrel and original CT barrel markings.

snowwolfe
03-20-2014, 09:01 PM
There are MANY happy owners of the new Marlins on the Marlin forum, and yes there are some that are dissatisfied as well. I say give them a chance but inspect the rifle in person before buying which I plan on doing unless I find a Henry first. Sorry, but IMO I do not place any value on the older JM models.
In ten years if the company who owns Marlin now sells the division off people will be saying to buy the Remlins:)

oscarflytyer
03-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Go to the Marlin forum site and check for the comments in the 1895 45/70 forum and you will see that many of the Marlin shooters do not care for Remlins as they call them. They prefer to buy a used older "JM" marked 1895 or 1894 then the new ones due to poor workmanship.

+1. And I have looked at the new "Remlins." Wouldn't touch one personally. I have 3 original JM Marlins, and always looking at others. I bought my most recent, a JM 1895, and it is head and shoulders above the Remlins. YMMV w/ a Remlin, and yes, there are some happy owners of them. I don't plan on even giving one a try...

CPL Lou
03-22-2014, 03:01 PM
I am one of the people that posted at the Marlin forum, posting pictures of my cracked frame Guide Gun. To see the pictures, just do a search for my handle on their website.
On a different note though, I now own 2 "Remlin" Guide Guns and both are GREAT shooters! One is a blued version, the other stainless.
I purchased both AFTER I had discovered the one with the cracked frame.
The first one I bought AFTER the cracked frame incident was a blued one. I took it apart, not hard to do, and thoroughly cleaned it and did an inspection for any cracks. All was well with the frame.
Took it to the range and fire lapped the bore to remove any roughness from the barrel using Superior Shooting Systems bullets loaded over a starting charge of Trailboss powder. I have done this to my stainless GG as well (Cast Boolit guns ya know).
Both rifles will place 5 shots into 1.5" at 100 yards with just about any handload I care to run through them, from mild to wild.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Remlin, just make sure you clean it thoroughly and check it out before you shoot it (which I do with any NEW rifle anyway).
By the way, the the gunshop I purchased the cracked frame gun from gladly gave me my money back. I took that money to another gunshop and immediately purchased the blued GG that shoots so awesome now. I would have bought it at the original gunshop, but he didn't have any more in stock and didn't expect to get any more in the near future.
Buy with confidence, just use discretion :smile:

CPL Lou

kenyerian
03-22-2014, 07:06 PM
I stopped at the LGS today and they had a Model 1895G "Guide Gun and a Classic Model 1895 both in 45-70. I checked both of them out and couln't see any thing wrong with them other than they both were a little stiff. I'm leaning toward the 1895G. It pointed very well for me. If they still have it when I get my income Taxes figured out I'll probably get it.

Huntsman
04-26-2014, 12:37 PM
I just bought a stainless GG lastnite (online). Luckily there is an unwritten return policy on the site I visit.
Comes with base & rings.
Very nice looking! I realize looks arent everything but I am comfortable with carrying out a detailed strip and doing a overhaul on all the working parts if need be.
I've wanted one ever since my Big bro got one. I shot some HSM Bear Loads out of it (3) and WOW!!! 3 was enuf lol :O
I'll be casting some Lee 405gr PBFN and just bought a lb of IMR 4198.
There was also an XLR 30-30 that I almost bought, A total Remlin but dang it, they sure look purdy.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/Jamie_MG/MarlinGG2_zps085512b4.jpg (http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/Jamie_MG/media/MarlinGG2_zps085512b4.jpg.html)

snowwolfe
04-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Should update my comments. I looked at maybe 6 new 1895's when I was traveling a couple of weeks ago. All had the barrels on straight and seemed to function pretty good but the wood to metal fit on each one was absolutely terrible. There were gaps as large as 1/8 of an inch where the stock met the side of the action. I just couldn't bring myself to buy one so will stick with my Henry and Winchester 1886 for now.

Tatume
04-26-2014, 06:12 PM
My blued 1895G is a really good gun. It's an early model, with the ported barrel. Although I don't like porting, it shoots very well and produces good velocity, so I'm okay with it.

My brother bought a stainless guide gun that is one of the last made before the Remington takeover. It shoots well too, but had grinder marks in places where my gun is polished. Functionally, it is fine, but I don't like the appearance.

I haven't examined any Marlins made after the Remington purchase.

MrWolf
04-26-2014, 09:03 PM
I have the 1895G with the JM stamp. I am hooked on Marlins with that one from the first shot. I will only look at the older models since I basically have to buy sight unseen as not many places stock Marlin levers in NJ.

Intel6
05-02-2014, 05:18 PM
I got my new Rem made SBL a few months ago and have been enjoying it a lot. Put the red dot on it until I get a Leupold scout scope for it.

Neal in AZ

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1885_SBL_red_dot_web.jpg

Frank V
05-02-2014, 08:26 PM
I have examined a number of the Remlins in a couple different gun shops looking for the things talked about on www.marlinowners.com I've found the newer ones seeming to be well fitted, a little rough, kind of gritty working the action, but overall pretty well built. One thing I've noticed is the loading gate & the port in the receiver are left with pretty sharp edges. That can be rounded by anyone interested enough & a few basic tools.
Would I buy one is the real question, the answer is probably if I could look it over well & maybe function a couple of dummy rounds through it. The 95 Marlin is a very good platform for the .45-70.
I am a pretty big fan of the Marlins.

The Henry has also been mentioned, I'd like to look at one in a shop, the tubular magazine does hold some fascination to me. The Henrys I've shot in .22lr worked very well, smooth, reliable, & VERY accurate. While you can't load it from the shoulder like you can (with practice) the Marlin, I think it has some advantages. I'd love to shoot one someday.

Goshawk
05-15-2014, 11:18 AM
I just got a new Marlin GBL from Cabelas Canada about a month ago. Its not perfect but it is very good and functions perfectly and shoots as accurate as I can with my cast handloads. The wood fits very well, sights are straight and it feeds my WFN handloads flawlessly. I am sure that in 30 years it will serve whoever has it as well as my 1976 Marlin 35 Rem serves me now. Goshawk

Frank V
05-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Yes it will congratulations.

yovinny
05-16-2014, 10:30 AM
My experience is limited to one, but I couldent be happier with my remmy made 1895....It shoots MUCH better than any of the older marlins I've owned over the years, like cloverleaves instead of 4" groups.
Only thing I did feel needed doing was breaking the sharp edges inside the reciever and loading port, as they were sharp enough to leave scrape marks on the brass cases.
Took maybe an hour or so one evening to dissasemble, do all the stoning and reassemble again.
I've actually been looking to pick up a blued 44mag as soon as I come across one. If it looks and shoots anything like this 95', I'll be thrilled to death.

oldred
05-16-2014, 11:31 AM
I am one of the people that posted at the Marlin forum, posting pictures of my cracked frame Guide Gun. To see the pictures, just do a search for my handle on their website.
On a different note though, I now own 2 "Remlin" Guide Guns and both are GREAT shooters! One is a blued version, the other stainless.
I purchased both AFTER I had discovered the one with the cracked frame.
The first one I bought AFTER the cracked frame incident was a blued one. I took it apart, not hard to do, and thoroughly cleaned it and did an inspection for any cracks. All was well with the frame.
Took it to the range and fire lapped the bore to remove any roughness from the barrel using Superior Shooting Systems bullets loaded over a starting charge of Trailboss powder. I have done this to my stainless GG as well (Cast Boolit guns ya know).
Both rifles will place 5 shots into 1.5" at 100 yards with just about any handload I care to run through them, from mild to wild.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Remlin, just make sure you clean it thoroughly and check it out before you shoot it (which I do with any NEW rifle anyway).
By the way, the the gunshop I purchased the cracked frame gun from gladly gave me my money back. I took that money to another gunshop and immediately purchased the blued GG that shoots so awesome now. I would have bought it at the original gunshop, but he didn't have any more in stock and didn't expect to get any more in the near future.
Buy with confidence, just use discretion :smile:

CPL Lou

I searched the Marlin forum with no luck and even tried Google using all the terms with no luck, I would be very interested in seeing those pics! Could you please post a link?

CPL Lou
05-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Here ya go:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/115763-attn-1895-owners-please-read-4.html

Post #40 is where I started with pix.
Hope this helps !

CPL Lou

MBTcustom
05-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Ive worked on a lot of Marlins and owned a few of them myself.
I know folks are going to hate what I say here, but Marlin rifles from the 50's (although they are very smooth and accurate) were absolutely hacked together. The workmanship on the old guns was really really slipshod even though they "had it where it counts".
The later JM Marlins were much much better in general workmanship, fit and finish, but were still rather janky when compared to Winchester of any vintage.
When they moved to NY, the level that the workmanship sank to was immeasurable by any standard. The first production from NY was absolutely horrible and no two ways about it.
However, the later guns that I have been working on have been nothing short of superb when compared to anything produced with that name to this point. My only complaint is the fit and finish of the wood, and the 23lb triggers. Other than that, the rifling is acceptable, the bolts are tight (unlike the later JM models that were rattle traps) as are the levers, and like all Marlins, they ere on the side of leaving too much metal so that gunsmiths can take them the last few steps to perfection. That goes for the wood as well, as I have yet to see a Marlin with undersized stocks.

I hate to give kudos to Remington, but I have to admit that they have managed to raise the bar significantly from what the old Marlin plant was producing.
The big question in my mind is if they did this in response to all the negative press they were receiving so once folks get the idea that these new marlins really are all that and a bag of chips, they might let quality slip back down to a more "cost effective" level.
Time will tell.

oldred
05-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Should update my comments. I looked at maybe 6 new 1895's when I was traveling a couple of weeks ago. All had the barrels on straight and seemed to function pretty good but the wood to metal fit on each one was absolutely terrible. There were gaps as large as 1/8 of an inch where the stock met the side of the action. I just couldn't bring myself to buy one so will stick with my Henry and Winchester 1886 for now.

I know your post is a few weeks old but just a couple of days ago I saw the exact same thing on the wood to metal fit!

Folks when he said 1/8" that was apparently not a typo or exaggeration! Maybe it was a machine setting at the factory that cut some of these stocks wrong and they just sent them on out the door after making adjustments to the machine but regardless, where the wood meets side of the receiver I could actually see the inside metal at the tang! Never have I seen such a "hack job" done on a new firearm, come to think of it I have never seen a "bubba" job that bad! Honestly the wood to metal fit on that 1895 was so bad it was almost as if it had been fitted with the wrong stock except that the gap was tapered (that is the front of the stock was not cut square), it was touching at the bottom but as was said it had a full 1/8" gap at the top.

snowwolfe
05-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Ive worked on a lot of Marlins and owned a few of them myself.
I know folks are going to hate what I say here, but Marlin rifles from the 50's (although they are very smooth and accurate) were absolutely hacked together. The workmanship on the old guns was really really slipshod even though they "had it where it counts".
The later JM Marlins were much much better in general workmanship, fit and finish, but were still rather janky when compared to Winchester of any vintage.
When they moved to NY, the level that the workmanship sank to was immeasurable by any standard. The first production from NY was absolutely horrible and no two ways about it.
However, the later guns that I have been working on have been nothing short of superb when compared to anything produced with that name to this point. My only complaint is the fit and finish of the wood, and the 23lb triggers. Other than that, the rifling is acceptable, the bolts are tight (unlike the later JM models that were rattle traps) as are the levers, and like all Marlins, they ere on the side of leaving too much metal so that gunsmiths can take them the last few steps to perfection. That goes for the wood as well, as I have yet to see a Marlin with undersized stocks.

I hate to give kudos to Remington, but I have to admit that they have managed to raise the bar significantly from what the old Marlin plant was producing.
The big question in my mind is if they did this in response to all the negative press they were receiving so once folks get the idea that these new marlins really are all that and a bag of chips, they might let quality slip back down to a more "cost effective" level.
Time will tell.

Excellent post. The jm on the barrel does nothing for me as I never thought they were quality rifles to begin with. I purchased two new 45-70 Marlins about 10 years ago and could not get either to feed 100% with proper ammo. One of the reasons I carry dummy rounds with me when I am shopping for one. The only reason I am in search of another one is because Remington took them over. At least I could get the new ones to feed and eject 100%. In time I'll find one with decent stock fitment and it will follow me home. But after buying a Henry 45-70 my standards have become pretty high. Henry makes a fantastic rifle for the money.

Mike Malat
05-19-2014, 09:50 PM
I picked up a 1895 2 weeks ago from Cabelas and I've been pleased with it. Yes, there are gaps in the wood/metal fit but no more than any other mass produced firearm that I've seen recently. Should we expect better fit for the $$$'s we're spending, I'd say we should but I'm not holding my breath. The wood is walnut, sight's were on straight, metal finish/bluing is good and when I had it out to the range this weekend it functioned with all of the reloads that I fed it. Stripped it down gave it a good cleaning, no cracks in the frame. Overall I'm satisfied with my purchase.

MBTcustom
05-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Here's the last one that came through the shop.

Bullshop Junior
05-19-2014, 11:37 PM
I dislike those big loop levers.

CPL Lou
05-20-2014, 12:22 AM
I personally own 2 'Remlin' Marlins, both are Guide Guns, and I wouldn't trade either of them for a JM marked rifle !
Both of them are scary accurate, reliable and smooth. The first GG I purchased, but took back, is the one pictured with the crack in the frame. I took the money I got back for the damaged rifle and went to another dealer to purchase one of my favored GG's. As soon as I got that one home, I stripped it down and checked the frame. No crack ! (Some mistake the barrel alignment witness mark as a crack, IT IS NOT!)
Took that rifle to the range with a box of Hornady 325 grain Leverevolution rounds and proceeded to shoot a 1.5" group at 100 yards !
'Remlins' are not junk, but they do need checked between the mag tube and the frame for a crack.
I suspect that Remington has already corrected whatever was causing that problem though, as every rifle I have checked lately have all been fine. (13 rifles so far, for a friend/dealer)
As soon as Remington starts making the 'Cowboy' line of rifles again, I plan to buy a couple.
Hope this clears up how I feel about Remington made Marlins [smilie=s:

CPL Lou

double8
05-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Indeed, there be Gremlins in some Remlins....Buyer beware, and check it over very carefully.

Huntsman
05-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Here's the last one that came through the shop.

The laminate stock looks smart. If I could get a large stainless loop on mine it'd look just as smart :p

johnme
05-26-2014, 11:11 AM
I bought a new 1895 GG 45-70 last fall and was nerviest about all the new Marlin stories I read. Fit and finish were good. Not like a Henry, I have one in 357. The old well know gun Shop that I bought her from has a true Gun Smith shop with all the big old equipment for any repair and they are a wty center for Marlin. Took her home with me and stripped her down, cleaned and polished all the needed parts has per gun shop. Very happy with how it shoots. I reload so making plinking loads are fun way to help break in the rifle. Just a note, 45-70 can be a heavy hitter on recoil, so I bought a limb saver pad. Hated putting it on. My wife removed the pad and then used 1 1/2" wide by 5" long Velcro, in my vest that I bring when shooting. Works great!
On and off as needed.

Wasalmonslayer
05-29-2014, 12:04 AM
Hello all
I have a remlin guide gun with the laminate stock and big loop. I love it it shoots anything I put in it and it cycles good. The fit and finish are good.
The action is a little rough and the trigger a bit heavy but the action should slick up with use.
I would like to have the trigger slicked up. Is that a difficult job? I have done several kinds of triggers. Just never had one of these apart yet.
Have a good night.
Wasalmonslayer.

MBTcustom
05-29-2014, 06:52 AM
Hello all
I have a remlin guide gun with the laminate stock and big loop. I love it it shoots anything I put in it and it cycles good. The fit and finish are good.
The action is a little rough and the trigger a bit heavy but the action should slick up with use.
I would like to have the trigger slicked up. Is that a difficult job? I have done several kinds of triggers. Just never had one of these apart yet.
Have a good night.
Wasalmonslayer.

It's jut like any rotating hammer situation. Get the angle correct on the hooks and the sear, and you've ot 3.5lb no problem. I have a stoning fixture that lets me get it perfect. It's all about getting the angles right.
If you're going to install a lighter mainspring, do that first, as it will change your trigger pull slightly. I start with the lever, and finish with the sears. Once it's all done you got sweetness.

Wasalmonslayer
06-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the tips goodsteel.
I am in the hay making season right now. Busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin contest.
I will tackle this in late fall/winter.
If I get hung up on this would you mind if I pm'd you.
Or if it's over my head just set something up and ship it to you and have a pro do it.
Thanks
Wasalmonslayer

RidgerunnerAk
06-05-2014, 09:04 PM
I had a brainfart and just had to have a guide gun two years ago. I already have two older 1895's, one of which has hardly been shot if at all. I've never shot it. At $200 it was just too cheap to turn down and is in the basement rafters racks somewhere. Anyway, first I replaced the useless folding rear sight on the GG with a replica Win1886 sight that won't lose the blade within a day or two in the woods. Second I took the front sight hood off and the plastic front sight fell out onto the table. I was not impressed. I ended up in a camp where someone else just had to have a GG - lots of bears in the area - and sold it. I'll just keep using my older standard length 1895.

CPL Lou
06-06-2014, 02:27 AM
I just added a NIB 1895CB, 18.5" octagonal barrel to my Marlin collection.
I drove 280 miles round trip to pick it up at a Cabellas. Took it completely apart, found the inside as pretty as they come. No tooling marks whatsoever !
Action was tight, but smooooooth ! Only glitch was an extractor that wouldn't extract. A few minutes with a file fixed the glitch. Bore looks smooth as a baby bottom, I'll slug it sometime tomorrow and see what Mr. Micrometer says about it.
Really nice wood as a bonus.
Remington seems to be getting their act together ! :shock: [smilie=w:

CPL Lou

MBTcustom
06-06-2014, 07:16 AM
I just added a NIB 1895CB, 18.5" octagonal barrel to my Marlin collection.
I drove 280 miles round trip to pick it up at a Cabellas. Took it completely apart, found the inside as pretty as they come. No tooling marks whatsoever !
Action was tight, but smooooooth ! Only glitch was an extractor that wouldn't extract. A few minutes with a file fixed the glitch. Bore looks smooth as a baby bottom, I'll slug it sometime tomorrow and see what Mr. Micrometer says about it.
Really nice wood as a bonus.
Remington seems to be getting their act together ! :shock: [smilie=w:

CPL Lou

Congratulations!
I'm hearing more and more stories like this. Not that I like Remington or anything. I pretty much hate their guts, but you have to give credit where credit is due. They do maintain a professional level of quality on most of their guns.

nekshot
06-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Just curious, are these stocks with the big gaps salvageable by refitting or are they that bad that new wood is only option?

oldred
06-06-2014, 10:57 AM
The one I looked at could probably be saved but it would require a LOT of work, that's exactly what I was thinking while holding the rifle. It would basically involve setting the stock forward an amount equal to the gap at it's widest point which would mean modifying the in-letting for the tang and the filling/redrilling of screw holes, this is for a straight grip and a pistol grip would get quite a bit more involved. I suppose an easier option might be to square up the gap on both sides and add a contrasting color filler strip from the end of the stock to the receiver, I thought about that also but then I was just thinking from a hobby stockmaker's point of view and not an actual owner or gunsmith faced with having to do this.

Frank V
06-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I think Remington is getting their act together, I got to look at 6 new ones yesterday & they all looked good. Only one had what I'd call too big a gap between the butstock & frame (it was about 1/8") but the rest looked pretty good. Two of the complaints I've had with the Rem. Marlins is the gap between the butstock & receiver, the other is that the edges on the levers are sometimes a bit sharper than I'd like to see. I haven't seen one with the sights mis-aligned as some have described. The edges on the levers were still sharper than I'd like to see, but the rest of the gun seemed pretty nice.
I think they are getting it right now.