PDA

View Full Version : ODD to me anyway

camotruck
03-17-2014, 12:52 PM
This struck me as funny and I almost put it in the humor section, but it's not a joke so I thought I'd drop it here.

I was at the range Sunday and saw a fellow and his wife shooting a 375 H&H Mag. after each shot he would draw the bolt back and throw that brass on the concrete floor, Well you know I had to pick it up. I spoke to the guy a little, about his upcoming trip to Africa and what not. he said his PH told him to bring 100 rounds. He said he thought 100 was excessive and mentioned the cost of 3 buck a round. By this time the range master (Bill) was with us and he knows I shoot mostly cast boolits. I winked at bill and said I wonder if we can push some cast lead down the BBL. He just laughed.

I also came across some 280 AI brass head stamped 280 and 7mm REM EXP. That's the first time I've ever seen the 7MM REM EXP head stamp. any way what struck me was, Someone with a 280AI is either shooting 280 in it and leaving the brass behind or someone is shooting a new to them 280AI with fire formed brass and leaving it behind. Either way I'll be watching the board for someone selling a 280AI because he can't find ammo for it.

Camo

starmac
03-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Any chance you want to get rid of that 375 brass???

Bullshop
03-17-2014, 01:03 PM
The PH shoots a 375 and the client will leave what is not used. Get it now?

camotruck
03-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Bullshop, I had it when he said it. I just wanted to see if it was just me. And they ask me why I shoot odd ball cartridges.
LOL

Starmac I'll keep you in mind. This guy will be shooting all summer I'll be trying to pick it up as he goes. Right now I don't think I have more than about 20.

Oh I hope that 280AI is something nice, maybe a pre 64 safe queen.

Camo

snuffy
03-17-2014, 01:22 PM
1. The PH was going by past experience, that most guys can't shoot a big gun like that very well. Average of 3 mag loads of shells for each animal hit. Cammo, what did his target look like?

OR 2. what BS said, he or someone else has a .375, figuring he'd give away his left over shells.

The 7mm "express" shells were Remmy's attempt to re-name the .280. Kind of kick start or re-start the .280. Joe-blow hunter miss-took the express to be the same as 7mm rem magnum.

starmac
03-17-2014, 01:23 PM
I would be interested in any that you get, even just 20. I have never messed with any AI calibers. A guy has an old 340 savage for sale here now in 30/30 AI, that I considered looking at.

camotruck
03-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Yea, now that I think about it his 100 yd target was about a 4 -5 in group as I recall. I'm familiar with the 7mm Express and it's history, it's just the first time I've seen the head stamp. and then to find them fire formed into AI and left in the brass bucket as scrap. It made me chuckle , and scratch my head. Maybe I should post a wanted on the board instead of waiting for it to show up for sale. That or have my 280 rechambered to AI. But then I have to get new dies ...

Camo

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-17-2014, 01:44 PM
This struck me as funny and I almost put it in the humor section, but it's not a joke so I thought I'd drop it here.

I was at the range Sunday and saw a fellow and his wife shooting a 375 H&H Mag. after each shot he would draw the bolt back and throw that brass on the concrete floor, Well you know I had to pick it up. I spoke to the guy a little, about his upcoming trip to Africa and what not. he said his PH told him to bring 100 rounds. He said he thought 100 was excessive and mentioned the cost of 3 buck a round. By this time the range master (Bill) was with us and he knows I shoot mostly cast boolits. I winked at bill and said I wonder if we can push some cast lead down the BBL. He just laughed.

I also came across some 280 AI brass head stamped 280 and 7mm REM EXP. That's the first time I've ever seen the 7MM REM EXP head stamp. any way what struck me was, Someone with a 280AI is either shooting 280 in it and leaving the brass behind or someone is shooting a new to them 280AI with fire formed brass and leaving it behind. Either way I'll be watching the board for someone selling a 280AI because he can't find ammo for it.

Camo

Years ago, at an auction, I bought a TC Contender rifle with a 223rem marked barrel.
I realized after the first shot that it was a 223remAI.

Maybe the 280 shooter bought a rifle that he thinks is a standard 280...as I've learned, not all Gunsmith's (or BUBBA's) correct the caliber markings on a rifle they modify.

camotruck
03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Now that's something I didn't think of. and I can see some of the,... well, lets just call them "not so gun savvy" guy around here doing just that. One day I found a guy shooting 7mm Mag in a 7mm STW. Blew the whole neck out.

raingauge
03-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Bought a Ruger 77V back in the late '70 that was marked 280 or 7mm Express, some ammo was headstamped the same way. Ackley wasn't a fan of AI in the 280, said it did not improve enough to be worth the effort, 3% improvement or so, he liked a minimum of 6%. Anyway, the 280 was about dead in the '70s, Remington had it loaded "light" for their 740 and 760, when it started showing up in bolt guns it sorta took off. I liked it because,with reloads, it shot flatter and faster than the '06 or 270 [using Jim Carmichael's loading data] and used it as an argument point. Great caliber.