PDA

View Full Version : back ground check

wgr
03-17-2014, 12:33 PM
What would you fail a back ground check? My son went on post to buy a rifle got turned down.He has a ccw permit, has bought all kinds of rifles and pistols. He has never had any problems with the law in his 33 years.any help. thinks bill

Love Life
03-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Maybe they punched the wrong SSN? maybe somebody has the same name and has commited some serious crimes?

tengaugetx
03-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Wow, in Texas if you have a concealed carry permit they don't even make a call for a background check.

country gent
03-17-2014, 12:44 PM
It can be many issues now from mental problems, violent episodes, felonies, and or local restrictions being enforced. In all honesty same name or close mis entered SS number or other info not entered correctly is the biggest cause. Enter full name (first middle last), ss number, And all requested information as clearly and accuratly as possible. May have been a simle qlitch or mistake.

Ickisrulz
03-17-2014, 12:54 PM
I guess the better question is how can he find out what the problem is.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/fact-sheet

WallyM3
03-17-2014, 01:05 PM
I suspect I've been delayed because it was coffee break time. They've called back an hour later to say, "Go ahead."

w5pv
03-17-2014, 02:09 PM
On the question sheet the first answer is yes and all the rest no.If he made a mistake and answered one yes after the first that would raise a flag.

MT Gianni
03-17-2014, 02:16 PM
On the question sheet the first answer is yes and all the rest no.If he made a mistake and answered one yes after the first that would raise a flag.

Generally that would result in the phone call not being made. All they want at the phone # is name, SS#, birthplace and birthdate. Identity theft, mis typed # or a system failure are a few reasons. They have 5 days to get back to you as why or the sale goes through, IIRC.

tomme boy
03-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Probably because he is in the military. A bunch of police I know have been turned down as well. It is funny when it happens to them. I tell them how does it feel to be labeled a felon? Like was said. If the shop doesn't hear anything in 5 days, he can go get it.

dilly
03-17-2014, 03:15 PM
He is in the military? Is there any chance e answered the wrong way on a ridiculous psych question and it got taken out of context?

Love Life
03-17-2014, 03:36 PM
^^No.

wgr
03-17-2014, 04:29 PM
He just bought a pistol 8mo. ago after returning from over seas. and he was buying this through the px on fort carson

ShooterAZ
03-17-2014, 04:35 PM
My understanding is that there are two types of refusals. "Delay" meaning that there may have been a glitch with the paperwork, or someone with same or similar name got in some trouble. "Deny" is the second type, and he will need to send in an appeal to the FBI in order to set things straight.

Pereira
03-17-2014, 05:06 PM
It just happens from time to time, I have bought firearms for years with no problems. About 6 years ago I got my handgun carry permit, thats what its called in TN. I also have a C&R License, but I have been denied 5 or 6 times in this same time frame, not every time I purchased some type of firearm but on occasion, but it has also been overturned in a couple of days. And I still don't have a clue why.

wv109323
03-17-2014, 06:15 PM
It is usually a person with the same name that can not purchase a firearm. Other causes, if there is a person with the same name that is deniable then NICS asks for additional info. You may have put weight as 230 on the 4473 application but the info NICS has is 180. Eye color may be gray instead blue. Usually a full SSN clears it up. If my name was Tom Smith I would give a full SSN up front.

trapper9260
03-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Wow, in Texas if you have a concealed carry permit they don't even make a call for a background check.

Same here in Iowa.

MaryB
03-17-2014, 10:08 PM
He should check to make sure the VA hasn't put him on the mentally ill list... more and more vets are landing on it. I had a friend get the turn in your guns letter. I bought them all for $1 to make it legal and have them in the safe for when he straightens it out. For now he just goes to the range with someone who can legally own a gun and shoots with them

uscra112
03-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Not to be TOO sarcastic, but the BATFE counts every bogus denial that gets overturned an hour later as a "criminal prevented from buying a gun" whenever the Democrats need a statistic to throw around. Look it up.

Bad Water Bill
03-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Background checks prevent criminals from purchasing firearms.

One of the biggest gang bangers in Chiraq was approved for a CCW last month.

Fortunately local L E stopped the license from being issued.

I lost track of the folks that had to challenge the check because OFFICIALS had entered information incorrectly.

jlucke69
03-18-2014, 09:13 AM
I have never been denied, but I have never been immediately approved either. Used to take an hour or so as it "went across the street for research." It is much faster now, hold on the line, transferred over and cleared up. My guess is there is someone else with the same name that has done something wrong.

Wayne Smith
03-18-2014, 12:32 PM
With my name I routinely wait a couple of hours. Usually I go get lunch and come back.

clownbear69
03-18-2014, 01:57 PM
What Love Life said about SSN is very likely to happen.

Here's a couple that may have happened but unknown in this current situation

1.) Did he answer all the questions correct? I know through Academy Sports and Outdoors They give you one chance if you answer anything incorrect to correct on the spot. Thus having the salesman denying on the spot

2.) If he did answer everything correctly, and the salesman took it for a background check was it called in or used the E-file system. I used that and boy if you go quick and don't know what your doing you can add or leave out something easily.

3.) If everything was correct and called in, did he write legibly?

Nonetheless there is a good chance it was the fault on the person who called it in. Now if the SSN wasn't used and he has a similar name to a felon it will go on delay. If it was a true deny have him request his NTN number (of course the salesman would only receive one once the last bit of information was given) and call the NICS hotline.

beagle
03-18-2014, 08:49 PM
When the NIC system was first started, I'd get delays all the time. If you were in the military and had a security clearance or were a civilian with a security clearance (which I had in both cases), when the system ran, it encountered a decision point and branched you off and had to be manually cleared. I've had several 2 hour delays but all were eventually cleared. Since then, they've always gone through for me. Probably a glitch like this. Hope he gets it cleared. It's a pain to deal with and the dealer always sits there and looks at you like you're jack the ripper or something./beagle

MaryB
03-18-2014, 11:59 PM
My dealer laughs at me and asked what I wrote online to make the government mad. Pretty active in second amendment stuff

wgr
03-19-2014, 12:34 AM
thinks for the replies. hope he gets it togather this week.

horsesoldier
03-19-2014, 01:31 AM
I was delayed once for my clearance.Sure burns a guy up when it happens

waynem34
03-19-2014, 09:39 AM
It was my understanding that it all depends on your name.If there are lots of peeps with your name you wait a little longer.I have a rather unique name only 2 or 3, if that many in the phone book in any state.I see people with names like carter and smith have to wait a day or two.I'm probably wrong about this but seems likely enough.I always clear instantly.Had a fellow at the local pawn want to know when i wanted to come back and pick a gun up.I looked very comfused and said right now.He said do you usually clear quikly.I said I've never had to wait and he ran my name and bam,out the door i went.Goodluck.Hope you get it cleared up.

crazy mark
03-19-2014, 03:09 PM
I always use my SS# lots of Mark Millers. Also helps to use my full middle name. The one time I didn't fill out the SS# I was delayed. Oregon says a State ID with a picture, unique number, DOB, expiration date and address. Let me tell you, don't try to use a state issued electrical license as they have no sense of humor.

Johnch
03-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Reasons I know that will get you a NO that many don't think about

Over X amount on back child suport ( not sure of the amount)
Unpaid Parking or trafic tickets
Skipping jury duty
Domistic Vilonce charge , even if just a fine ( this one is a forever No Gun thing , even for police )

I am sure there a lot more

John

redriverhunter
03-19-2014, 05:58 PM
I got denied once what a pain to get cleared. had to get finger printed send them in. Once I got cleared they said I have the same name and or characteristics as a convicted felon. My thoughts are b.s. my sir name is not too common.

waynem34
03-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Skipping jury duty.
Holy hell! I have to give thumb print to get some checks cashed.

Bad Water Bill
03-19-2014, 11:56 PM
7 years ago they told me I was to old at 70 to be trusted to sit on a jury.:bigsmyl2:

WallyM3
03-20-2014, 12:27 AM
(ROFLMAO) One of the charges to the jury is to use their collective "life experience" in judging their findings of fact.

I guess too much of the common sense accumulated after 5, 6 or so decades impedes the liberal agenda.

I view jury duty to be a citizen's short-term equivalent to military service. I carved out considerable time to fulfill that duty in NYC at that place that everybody sees on "Law and Order". It was quite an education.

Lest it be missed, I also carved out 6 years active duty in the military. Maybe that's where I got my notion of civic responsibility.

(same service as BWB)

Sweetpea
03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Seems odd you guys have to wait, or come back...

I've been told by several gun shops around here, that if you even walk outside the store for a smoke/whatever, you have to start all over again!

Bad Water Bill
03-20-2014, 07:53 PM
I've been told by several gun shops around here, that if you even walk outside the store for a smoke/whatever, you have to start all over again!

Must be a local thing.

When I applied for my "Utah non resident concealed permit" I sent my info and money all the way from Chiraq to Utah where they then did a background check.

I know I did have several smoke breaks before they notified me that I was good to go.

MtGun44
03-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Same or similar names will cause a delay, or if the checker is in the mood.

Bill

Jimmy10mm
05-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I got a conditional denial this past Tuesday. Have had a CWP since '93 and bought many guns with no problems in the past. Here in FL it changes to "conditional approval" in 72 hours so at 5pm I can take possession of the firearm. If it gets denied subsequent to that the sheriff comes to my door to confiscate said gun. I think I will wait and see rather than chance that. At 65 years old I have no record so beats the heck out of me.

Wayne Smith
05-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Seems odd you guys have to wait, or come back...

I think they are supposed to hang on to your ID until you clear. My shop knows me. I get my license back.

daengmei
05-02-2014, 05:15 PM
One shop tells me it is the day of the week. Monday or Friday will usually delay. Once bought a pistol and had instant clearance but several weeks before and after long guns got delayed. And I do have several family member "Idiots" to help them stall me. Every delay has been ok'd the next business day.

nicholst55
05-02-2014, 10:25 PM
My namesake is serving 107 consecutive life sentences (with no chance of parole) in the supermax prison at Florence, CO, and I never get turned down... Just sayin'. Here in Arizona, a concealed carry permit means that they don't even make the call. I've had it for less than two years, though.