PDA

View Full Version : Remington's tube feed pump 14/141

Naphtali
03-17-2014, 03:10 AM
Remington's 14 and 141 pump rifles feed via under-barrel tubular magazines. The magazine tube itself was of unique configuration. Along the magazine's length are a series of spiral grooves that were pressed into it. Remington claimed that this configuration allowed the safe - repeat SAFE - loading and feeding of pointed bullets bullets.

Those who have owned, shot, or closely examined these rifles: Is it, in fact, safe to reload pointed bullets for use in these pump rifles 25, 30, 32, and 35 Remington cartridges?

starmac
03-17-2014, 03:23 AM
That is the claim and it is probably right, but the factory shells I got with mine were round nose winchester silvertips, so that is what I loaded. Lot of help huh.

Beau Cassidy
03-17-2014, 08:50 AM
When I get a round tuit, mine will be seing flat point lead.

texassako
03-17-2014, 11:02 AM
I think it is more for allowing a round nose instead of a flat nose, not pointy bullets. Remington loaded them with round nose. A point can get under the rim of the cartridge in front with some combinations.

captaint
03-18-2014, 07:50 AM
I was told, by somebody with a lot more experience then me, that the spiral grooves kept the bullet point (pointed) from centering on the round in front of it. Therefore, the bullet point couldn't make contact with the primer in front. That's my story.... Mike

richhodg66
03-18-2014, 11:08 AM
After years of wanting one, I now own a 141 in .35. I have no plans to try spire points in it and I have to wonder if cartridges like the .30-30 and .35 Remington are fast enough to really benefit from a spire point anyway??? The Hornady gummy tip pointed ammo had me scratching my head, seems like if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Duckiller
03-18-2014, 03:05 PM
You won't/don't believe the people that designed and built the gun but you are going to believe a stranger off the internet. I do not understand some people. Have not shot pointed bullets in mine because most 30/30 bullets are round nosed.

starmac
03-18-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't guess I was listening to the manufacturers when these guns were built and sold. lol Like someone else pointed out I think a round or flat nose has it's advantages over pointy bullets at the velocities these run. The 25 may get a little benefit with a spire point, and jacketed rounds, I don't see much with cast.

texassako
03-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Have none of you seen the Remington 35 Rem 150gr pointed factory loaded ammo?

I thought that was a '50s introduction, with their round nose 150gr mushroom bullet before that.

catskinner
03-18-2014, 06:50 PM
excess, Yours is the first time I've seen a statement that the early Model 14's did not have the spiral magazine tube. Not saying you are wrong but I have a second year 14 and it has the spiral tube. I've never seen any other reference to straight tubes on 14's.

starmac
03-18-2014, 07:04 PM
I know some didn't have the spiral tube, but I for some reason thought it was the later ones.

mtnman31
03-18-2014, 07:13 PM
I have both the 14 (.30 Rem) and 141 (.35 Rem). I've shot a fair number of spire points through the .35 Rem and never had a problem or concern. I have not put any spire points through the .30 Rem yet. I just have not shot it as much as the 35. Neat rifles and a lot of fun.

rking22
03-18-2014, 11:21 PM
According to a collector and gunsmith specilizing in the 14 /141 ,the rifles had a hang tag instructing to use roundnose bullets. This info is from the Remington Society board. I shoot flat nose cast in mine without issue, and really see no point "heh heh" in using pointed bullets in it for what I do. Marketing created the need for plastic tipped lever gun bullets ,to each their own. I suspect the spirel groovs in the tube is in case someone loaded spire point factory loads rather than to encourage their use. Just my opinion, but I'm told they are a pain to load in the 30 REM due to getting under the next rounds base.