PDA

View Full Version : Reloading with #1 Son

richhodg66
03-16-2014, 08:58 PM
My oldest son has been home on leave from the Marine Corps this week. I've had a reloading set up for him a couple of years now and a Marlin .30-30. We spent the evening sthis week teaching him to reload (though he was exposed to it all his life, he and his brother were content to let me load for them to shoot, go figure). Anyway, we loaded about 180 rounds of .30-30 J-word ammo and also bought some factory stuff. Had a pretty good range session after church. The guys at the range watched him grow up and hadn't seen him in almost two years so it was a good day all around.

bear67
03-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Time spent with sons and grandsons loading and shooting is OK. Congratulations

DIRT Farmer
03-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Congrats on a family tradition. My sons heard Marine stories so they joined the Army.

richhodg66
03-16-2014, 10:00 PM
He grew up a military brat, though I really made an effort to homestead on Fort Riley and he really didn't know any other home. I did 24 years and am proud to say father and son had a little overlap of service. He's talking about reenlisting when his five year obligation is up, I'm trying to get him to get a degree and a commission if he makes a career of it.

He's stationed in the Norfolk area, if anybody knows of a good range to steer him to, I'm all ears. It sounds from him talking like the only thingavailable are indoor ranges that charge an arm and a leg to shoot.

Wayne Smith
03-17-2014, 08:01 AM
The best range is C2 and it is down almost to the NC border. I'm in Virginia Beach. PM me with his info or I will send him mine.

camotruck
03-17-2014, 06:06 PM
I had to look at this thread because my Dad always call me #1 ... he had 4 boys. Now call mine #1 he's named after my dad. It's funny because I only have one. So at 19 when I call him #1 or tell him he's my favorite son/ child, he gives me the look. I also tell my wife she's my favorite. (also only one)(So far) Mine heads to RTC (Navy) in a few months. Then to SC for Nuke School

Camo

gneigum
03-17-2014, 06:28 PM
My hat is off to all of you & I'm proud to have neighbours such as you

richhodg66
03-17-2014, 08:06 PM
The best range is C2 and it is down almost to the NC border. I'm in Virginia Beach. PM me with his info or I will send him mine.

Wayne, I'm not that familiar with the area, how far is that from Norfolk?

bruce drake
03-17-2014, 09:43 PM
http://www.myvssa.org/
Virginia Shooting Sports Association.
http://www.fxrgc.org/index.cfm?section=1
Fairfax VA Rod and Gun Club.
Fairfax has a great monthly high-power 200 yard rifle match/league that the Marine Rifle Teams from Quantico shoot at regularly. If he's a good shot they might even pick him up for the team at Quantico. This is a private club in Manassas and expensive to join but they open the matches up to everyone.
http://quanticoshootingclub.com/index.php
Quantico of course has a range and gun club but its a bit of a drive from Norfolk. If he PCSs there he'll be set.
For Norfolk, I'd recommend this for proximity
When I was stationed in Maryland I shot High-Power Matches at Fairfax and Quantico in addition to Ft. Meade (600yd course)

Fairfax R&G is just to the north of D.C. but a reasonable drive from Norfolk.

You might have to convince him to shoot a different rifle than that Marlin for those matches though if he talks to his command and has a good Ops NCO, they may allow them to make a team to go shoot with service rifles.

Bruce

richhodg66
03-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info, Bruce. I'll forward those links to him. In his MOS and job, he shoots all the stuff the military offers all the time. We were talking and it irritates him he can't own a handgun til he's 21 but carries and shoots an M9 all the time.

bruce drake
03-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Just tell him he can save up until he's 21 and get himself a very good pistol to celebrate.

Glad to be of assistance.

Bruce

richhodg66
03-18-2014, 11:12 AM
More than likely, dear old Dad will be providing it to him anyway. He'd have left with more guns and other stuff this time if he'd had space in the truck.

I'm really proud of that boy. I was pretty heart set on him going the commissioned route after high school, he'd gotten accepted to The Citadel, which was no surprise, and we were working on an NROTC scholarship application when he decided he wanted to enlist. Left for the MEPS the morning after he graduated. I know every parent says it, but I literally just turned around and he was gone.

bruce drake
03-18-2014, 11:23 AM
I think I understand. My oldest is a Junior and 16 and will graduate from High School this December to start College in January of 2015 at 17. I still remember driving to the hospital with his mom for the delivery!

Amazing how time has flown. We've lost years with them due to the deployments before we retired.

Bruce

Boyscout
03-18-2014, 03:56 PM
DirtFarmer-My three sons heard all the Marine stories too: Twin 1 joined the US Marine Corps, Twin 2 joined the Air Force, and Son 3 joined the Army. One of my nieces goes to Paris Island next month. The Marines are well represented in my family. Marines 4, Army 3, Air Force 3. The Marine tradition started with my brother and I back in the 80's.

So far there are only two of us who reload.

RacingRedGT
03-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Can't wait for my boy to get older. My girls could care less, I've tried with them. Goes in one ear and comes out the other. More interested in their iPhones.

markshere2
03-18-2014, 08:54 PM
He grew up a military brat, though I really made an effort to homestead on Fort Riley and he really didn't know any other home. I did 24 years and am proud to say father and son had a little overlap of service. He's talking about reenlisting when his five year obligation is up, I'm trying to get him to get a degree and a commission if he makes a career of it.

Sit him down & go over the pay chart and discuss the O1E-O2E-03E pay grades
Huge difference in take home $ and the faster he gets into it, the better off he is.
Lotsa commissioning opportunities, and it's OK to jump to sister services.

Play the recruiters against each other.....