PDA

View Full Version : What does it matter....

SteveS
03-16-2014, 08:05 PM
What does it matter if I cast my own boolits, scrounge brass, buy primers, etc., if there's no powder?

I've just got back into casting and reloading after quite a while because of the lack of ammo available and because I really enjoyed it when I did. I've got everything ready to go but there's no powder to be had!

I've contacted places on line, been everywhere local and nothing. 'We can put you on the waiting list but don't hold you breath' is the best I've found.

Where do I find powder for .32 mag, .38, .357 mag?

This is really discouraging.

btroj
03-16-2014, 08:16 PM
First off be flexible. Lots of powder will work in those cartridges, they just might give top velocities.

Second, when you find a suitable powder buy it. Might need to travel a bit or mail order. Kept looking for what you really want but take what will work.

Most important, never give up looking. When you find some don't skimp, buy a few years worth. Never know when you will find more.

David2011
03-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Steve,

Welcome to Cast Boolits! We share your pain and concern. Watch all of the powder outlets and when they have what you want, order enough to offset the hazmat and shipping charges. The situation exacerbates itself. We want maybe 2 pounds of H4895, a pound of Bullseye and 2 pounds of Unique but the seller only has Unique so we order 4 or 5 pounds of it just to make the per pound cost tolerable with the shipping costs. The upside is that if you do order more than you really wanted it should be easy to sell any excess for what you have in it and maybe more.

I've seen more powder at gun shows this year than for about 18 months in the past. Some was at reasonable prices. High demand powders like Varget have been priced to what the market will bear (around $40) while other powders in lower demand have been $22-$28.

All we can do is hope for a change in the political winds come November. Even if we get a favorable outcome in both houses of Congress it's going to take a while to recover from the shortage. Not only has the political climate directly affected the reloader but there are millions more gun owners than ever before and some of them are taking up reloading as well. Study up on powders that are suitable for your cartridges so when ANYTHING becomes available that you can use you'll be able to make a decision immediately. It is definitely a "you snooze you lose" market. Sorry I can't offer better news.

David

butch2570
03-16-2014, 08:22 PM
sportsman wharehouse has imr sr 4759 for your 357 mag right now!

butch2570
03-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Natchez has accurate 5744 right now . Take what will work just like Btroj said you can be selective later, shoot blackpowder or a substitute if you have too , but don't give up that easily. Wideners has V V 105 for heavy loads in a 357 mag right now.

SteveS
03-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks btroj. I'm looking for for 6-8 different powders so I think I'm being kind of flexible. After all, one or two would do me fine.

I went up to the Kittery Trading Post yesterday, kind of in desperation. Nothing. The guy behind the counter pretty much laughed. Rileys Gun Shop in Hooksett is the only local shop I know of and they actually laughed.

Several online sites turn up nothing. Lohmanarms was very nice but not encouraging.

I realize I'm not the only one in this boat but I really, where do you guys find powder? Is it just a matter of getting on a waiting list and maybe some day...?

btroj
03-16-2014, 08:48 PM
I find it locally. Might not get exactly what I need but I can always find something that will work.

I can think of 3 places in Omaha I saw powder this week. One had multiple types in both 1 pound and 4 to 8 pounders too.

You might need to travel a bit.

Oh, ask fellow shooters where they are finding it locally. Might be a shop you aren't aware of.

hendere
03-16-2014, 08:51 PM
There is a place here that is really good at selling reloading set-ups to folks that are new to the activity. I see quite a few people walking out with everything but powder and often wonder how they feel when they figure out that it's hard to find. I do think it's slowly getting better. Just keep your eyes open and keep looking. A year ago I was getting pretty bad off, I was down to half a pound of only one powder and not many primers. Unique and 2400 both randomly showed up in local shops and I happened to be standing there when it did. I see primers WAY more often than I did 6 months ago. Keep looking, it will happen.

freebullet
03-16-2014, 08:54 PM
There is powder...go look.

SteveS
03-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Wow, thanks for all the fast replies.

Butch, I can't find any load data for 4759 but I just ordered two lbs. figuring I might be able to work something up.

So it seems things are a little more dire than I thought. OK, at least I'm starting to understand. Make do.

I can do this, once I know what I'm up against.

And thanks for the welcome David!

smoked turkey
03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Steve welcome to the best forum on the internet. You will find friendly, caring, knowledgable people here who share the same passions (for the most part-lol). I too am needing some 4759 so I will go look just as you did.

SteveS
03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
hendere, Unique and 2400 are, of course, exactly what I'm looking for but Kittery and Riley's told me they haven't seen any in they can't remember when.

I really haven't had a problem finding primers. .357 brass seems to be non existent but I have plenty from thirty years ago plus a bunch of .38 special cases. I found some .32 mag brass at Midway. Alloy seems pretty expensive but there seems to be plenty of it. It's just the powder that kicking my butt.

butch2570
03-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Wow, thanks for all the fast replies.

Butch, I can't find any load data for 4759 but I just ordered two lbs. figuring I might be able to work something up.

So it seems things are a little more dire than I thought. OK, at least I'm starting to understand. Make do.

I can do this, once I know what I'm up against.

And thanks for the welcome David!
AS per lyman cast handbook :SR4759 357 mag 358311 mold 158 gr linotype bullet , start load 10 grain at 874 fps at 12,000 cup and 14 grain max at 1189 fps at 30,100 cup , that will get you started and welcome aboard.. and also 358429 mold 168 grain bullet , start at 9.8 gr at 942 fps and 18,400 cup and 13.5 max load at 1206 fps at 40600 cup both with federal cases and cci 550 small pistol mag primers...:grin:

birddog
03-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Have patients boys, the primers where gone for a while and they are returning, the powder will too. A note to some of the IMR lines, they are discontinuing most of the SR's.
Charlie

SteveS
03-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for that Butch! I guess I got a little excited and missed it. I have a Lyman Handbook from 1980 and yes indeed, it's listed.

This new hazmat fee is kind of rough but I guess we're all in the same boat.

And thanks smoked turkey, I'm glad to be here.

hendere
03-16-2014, 09:30 PM
When I stumbled upon Unique, it was at a really good price and I bought all I could afford (5 pounds). I guess this makes me part of the problem, but I am still shooting. I walked up on an 8 pound jug of 2400 and I made it happen. It was at at really good price also. I've seen both since then at other places for what I consider to be incredibly high prices but I probably would have paid if I had to.
As far as brass, I can never decide what amazes me the most: how much people pay for fired brass or how much brass people leave on the ground at the range. The only brass that I've actually paid for in years is 32-20. Be patient and keep your eyes open. It will pay off.

I didn't realize how much of a cheap old guy I really am until I typed all this out!!!!

hendere, Unique and 2400 are, of course, exactly what I'm looking for but Kittery and Riley's told me they haven't seen any in they can't remember when.

I really haven't had a problem finding primers. .357 brass seems to be non existent but I have plenty from thirty years ago plus a bunch of .38 special cases. I found some .32 mag brass at Midway. Alloy seems pretty expensive but there seems to be plenty of it. It's just the powder that kicking my butt.

rodsvet
03-16-2014, 10:51 PM
I was at the Orange County gun show yesterday and WW primers were 29 per K. There was a fair selection of powder but around 28-30 per lb. What really amazed me was that 22 LR was 80 per brick. Keep looking and trying local gun shows. We all are in the same boat, don't give up!! And remember to vote for the conservative!! Rod

osteodoc08
03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
What does it matter if I cast my own boolits, scrounge brass, buy primers, etc., if there's no powder?

I've just got back into casting and reloading after quite a while because of the lack of ammo available and because I really enjoyed it when I did. I've got everything ready to go but there's no powder to be had!

I've contacted places on line, been everywhere local and nothing. 'We can put you on the waiting list but don't hold you breath' is the best I've found.

Where do I find powder for .32 mag, .38, .357 mag?

This is really discouraging.

Build up the stockpiles of components as time, money and opportunity allow.

Remember success is planning plus opportunity. Be successful.

hickfu
03-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Watch Recob's Target Shop every day! I did and now I have H322, IMR-3031, IMR-4320, IMR-4350, IMR-4064, Varget, Titegroup, 700x, 800x etc...

I no longer need powder and had ordered so much that I moved over 3/4 of it out of state since here in Ca you can only have 20lbs or its a felony charge... (only 1lb of black powder) so when I get real low on powder here I just take a vacation to see family and bring back more.

Doc

22 rifle
03-17-2014, 04:28 AM
understand your frustration but it will get better in time.i remember when clinton was pres i went to a local shop looking for primers and brass and the guy laughed in my face and then proceeded to tell me how he had buckets of brass and primers at home for his stuff.guess who i no longer do business with since then.sorry for the rant just don't see any reason to treat your customers that way.

jeepyj
03-17-2014, 06:17 AM
I'm a little further north than you and with a little leg work I've managed to keep some of everything trickling in. The wife like to take a ride on the weekends so many times I plot the "ride" to the visit most amount of gun shops as possible. To keep her happy though I go in and do my business and get out. Also I've been known to bring my loading manual with my so I can be as flexible as possible.
Good luck , jeepyj

Digital Dan
03-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Steve....

http://www.gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/

Lead Fred
03-17-2014, 08:12 AM
I have black powder loads for all my straight walled case firearms.

We make it out on the back 40

dondiego
03-17-2014, 09:37 AM
22 rifle - I guess I missed it. In what way did the guy mistreat you?

Garyshome
03-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Powder valley, or other online places. You can back order and it will get there eventually.

Love Life
03-17-2014, 10:53 AM
I feel your pain, but Btroj hit it on the head. Be flexible. I have been using non-recommended powders in a few firearms. I am lucky on the 45 ACP though. Years ago when I started reloading I had to try every powder ever. I now have several one pounders of different pistol powders. As I use one up, I switch to the next on the shelf, work up a load, and I'm on my way!!! At this rate I will be able to load 45 ACP for the next 10 years without buying more powder. Some aren't optimal, but if the bullet leaves the barrel and hits the target, then I am all good.

jonp
03-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Thanks btroj. I'm looking for for 6-8 different powders so I think I'm being kind of flexible. After all, one or two would do me fine.

I went up to the Kittery Trading Post yesterday, kind of in desperation. Nothing. The guy behind the counter pretty much laughed. Rileys Gun Shop in Hooksett is the only local shop I know of and they actually laughed.

Several online sites turn up nothing. Lohmanarms was very nice but not encouraging.

I realize I'm not the only one in this boat but I really, where do you guys find powder? Is it just a matter of getting on a waiting list and maybe some day...?

Last time I was home the gunshop in Whitefield, NH had powder on the shelf. I bought 2lbs of 2400. Thats sounds like it is north of you though.

As others have said, branch out into different powders than normal. In your calibers listed I can think of 1/2 dozen powders off the top of my head that will work.
Check the online sites a few times a day and when you see powder buy it immediately. I recently was surprised at about 1500 one day to see powder in stock at Third Generation and bought 8lbs each of Unique and Promo.

LeftyDon
03-17-2014, 11:35 AM
I suggest you get on Google and print out all the gun shops within 100 - 150 miles of your place and drive to or call everyone of them. Call each week and soon you'll have powder. I understand the frustration since we in this country are not used to stuff being out of stock everywhere we look locally. I've spend several days looking for powder, primers and ammo at LGS's and decided to spend some time on the internet stocking up before the NY state UnSafe Act kicked in. No longer can get ammo or shells sent to NY since the act took hold. You're going to have to decide to paid top dollar or learn to wait for supplies to be available. It takes time to get stuff these days. But if you search you will find it. I've driven 100 miles to buy primers early last year. Today the LGS has them in stock (most of the time) Powder is getting easier to find locally too, but mostly in small 1 lb jugs. I got lazy a few years ago and purchased all my shotgun shells online (Cabala's sales and free shipping) and I put the shotgun shell reloading stuff in storage. Never dug it out when I moved back to this state. It's back out now and mounted to my bench. Trying to find lead shot at LGS's is like looking for Purple Unicorns. Powder is easy to find compared to shot. At least around here.

I'm old enough to remember having to order things from a Herter's catalog (or Sears, Monkey Wards etc) and then wait for delivery. Something we are all learning again, shop online and wait for delivery. Just recently I picked up a 30-30 lever gun and started looking for brass. Purple Unicorns again. ;-) No 30-30 ammo at LGS's and no new or once fired brass online. That was except for Dillon. Never thought to look there before, but brass is on the way since I looked at places where nobody else looked. Just think of it as a different type of hunting trip. You don't get lucky 5 minutes into a hunting trip all that often. Good hunting!

Love Life
03-17-2014, 12:56 PM
^^^It's easier and cheaper to order it online and have it shipped. The $25 fee is worth not having to go outin public, waste gas, put miles on the truck, etc. I do like to get a double double though...

SteveS
03-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Digital Dan, I can't thank you enough for that link.

Thanks to the rest of you guys too for the tips. I'm not as discouraged as I was yesterday. Times have changed an I have to adapt to what's happening.

It's kind of a waiting game combined with a treasure hunt.

bobthenailer
03-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Next time don't forget to scrounge for powder, keep your componet supply's balanced!

PbHurler
03-18-2014, 07:08 AM
I no longer need powder and had ordered so much that I moved over 3/4 of it out of state since here in Ca you can only have 20lbs or its a felony charge... (only 1lb of black powder) so when I get real low on powder here I just take a vacation to see family and bring back more.

Doc

Wow Doc, that's really messed up!
Sounds like you've got a good plan though.:drinks:

CWME
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
The last time I was in Cabelas in Scarborough Maine they had a good supply of everything, powder, primers, bullets etc etc. With the tolls and gas it might be cheaper to order from an online source though. I quit shopping at Kittery Trading Post a few years ago. Their customer service sucks. I look young and can't get anyone to help me when I am there. I just about have to tackle an associate and hold them down to get service. I called them up a while ago and asked about primers, they said they had what I needed. I got in the car, drove 50 minutes, paid $4 in tolls, all to find out that they would only sell me a box of 100 instead of a brick of 1000.

hickfu
03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Wow Doc, that's really messed up!
Sounds like you've got a good plan though.:drinks:

Yup, Calif sucks hard!!! but it looks like I may be getting out of this hell hole within the next year! Probably going to move up into Oregon, closer to family and my powder stash!! :drinks:

It kind of reminds me of back home in Maine... Its green and beautiful

Doc

SteveS
03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Next time don't forget to scrounge for powder, keep your componet supply's balanced!

I hear ya Bob.

I just decidied to get back into it about a month or so ago and was caught flat footed. I just didn't realize the situation.

wrongway
03-18-2014, 06:18 PM
I to am new to reloading after 30 yrs. but powder here " Nebr" is easy to find Cabela's has it Bass Pro and a few other places is you have a Cabelas try them

NavyVet1959
03-18-2014, 06:56 PM
To offset the shipping and HAZMAT charges, I buy powder in 50+lb quantitites if at all possible. If you're lucky, you have a buddy to go in on the order with you and you're not stuck with having to pay for the entire 50 lbs. If not, then you can always sell it locally on Craigslist or Armslist. I try not to order any powder in less than an 8 lb jug (the exception would be those powders whose max size is 7 lb jugs). I have enough of an assortment of firearms that if a powder is available, I can probably find a firearm of mine that can use it. It might not be the optimal powder, but even suboptimal is better than no powder.

SteveS
03-18-2014, 09:02 PM
...but even suboptimal is better than no powder.

Amen to that!

I've got six pound of not what I wanted, but I can make do, powder ordered. I just retired and I hope to do a hell of a lot of casting and shooting as soon as the snow melts.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the powders I prefer but I'm not going to turn down any more chances to shoot.

NavyVet1959
03-19-2014, 02:54 AM
Amen to that!

I've got six pound of not what I wanted, but I can make do, powder ordered. I just retired and I hope to do a hell of a lot of casting and shooting as soon as the snow melts.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the powders I prefer but I'm not going to turn down any more chances to shoot.

I even have some .50BMG and 20mm powder that I bought just because it was cheap and I figured that I could find some use for it in at least one of my firearms if I got really desperate. Maybe in the .45-70 with a duplex load or in the .300 Win Mag.

22 rifle
03-19-2014, 05:05 AM
attitude.been doing this a long time and most folks are pretty nice that i know.just seems like some guys turn into instant jerks when they get in the gun biz.would you go back to any anywhere else if they acted that way?too much competition for that.this is also one of the same shops here that jacks up prices the minute that any rumor starts so that they can gouge their customers.if you want to do business with that type of place be my guest i work too hard for my money to put up with that.i guess what bothered me the most was that this is a new guy getting into reloading and i think that really discourages folks from getting into our hobby.

NavyVet1959
03-19-2014, 02:17 PM
this is also one of the same shops here that jacks up prices the minute that any rumor starts so that they can gouge their customers.if you want to do business with that type of place be my guest i work too hard for my money to put up with that.i guess what bothered me the most was that this is a new guy getting into reloading and i think that really discourages folks from getting into our hobby.

Their logic might be that since the prices that they pay to replenish their stock goes up, they should increase the price they charge on what they currently have in stock. They might figure that when prices go down, they'll have to sell the stock on hand at the going market price which might be less than they paid for it. I can understand this to a point, but I think many of them might just be profiteering.

David2011
03-19-2014, 03:18 PM
We just got a new gun store in town. They're well stocked on a lot of things; pretty light in the reloading department. I talked with the owner for a little while and he seemed like a decent type. One of his sales people thought $8.00 was a good price for 50 rounds of .22 lr.

David

NavyVet1959
03-19-2014, 06:40 PM
We just got a new gun store in town. They're well stocked on a lot of things; pretty light in the reloading department. I talked with the owner for a little while and he seemed like a decent type. One of his sales people thought $8.00 was a good price for 50 rounds of .22 lr.

I was at Wal-Mart the other evening picking up some groceries and I decided to check out the ammo shelf just for curiosity. Surprisingly, I saw quite a few boxes of .22LR -- I think they were the 50-round boxes of CCI Stingers -- for around $7 or so. Since I can reload pretty much any of my handguns for less than $3 per 50-round box, I just kind of chuckled and walked away. It was kind of nice to be reminded that .22s still *exist* at least.

hickfu
03-22-2014, 02:26 AM
I just put in another order at Recobs for some Reloader 22 and 25 a few days ago.... Well today I noticed that they hadnt shipped yet which is kind of odd since they have always shipped next day when I order (I do order a lot from them) So I sent them a note just to hassle them a little with a "since my order hasnt shipped yet" email.... Well I put in that since they havent shipped it yet if they have any Unique they can add it to my order. I always look on their site and they never have Unique, I got an email back saying that they have some there and they will add 4 of the 1#ers to my order.... SWEET!!!

Doc

Mal Paso
03-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Anybody got a tool to trim 50 BMG powder down to something usable?:-P

starmac
03-22-2014, 05:07 PM
He he 50 BMG stays onthe shelf a little longer than others here too, but usually only 2 or 3 days. lol

NavyVet1959
03-23-2014, 01:43 AM
Anybody got a tool to trim 50 BMG powder down to something usable?:-P

Have you tried a blender?

From a distance...

Be sure to film it, just in case... :)

Mal Paso
03-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Have you tried a blender?

From a distance...

Be sure to film it, just in case... :)

I'm sure someone somewhere.............

I had done my experimenting and settled on 2400 for my 44 Mag loads. I haven't been able to buy any 2400 in over a year. I found some 4756, switched my 44 Specials to that and took 10 Pigs in silhouette last weekend. I found some 4759 last week. Western Powders rates it faster than Hogdon. It's a high bulk powder so there was a big question if it would work. I shot out the center of the target chronographing loads yesterday. A lightly compressed 20g performed about like 19g of 2400 and similar low pressure. Looks like the new powders are winners but both are being discontinued so I'll have to jump again.

I suppose all the experimentin' has improved my shooting but I was all ready to be set in my ways and hate being disrupted.

gcsteve
03-23-2014, 06:43 PM
too much competition for that.this is also one of the same shops here that jacks up prices the minute that any rumor starts so that they can gouge their customers.if you want to do business with that type of place be my guest i work too hard for my money to put up with that.

I hear you on that. Not many LGS around here. One 35 miles away sometimes has some powder and primers, sometimes not. There is another one, newer and a bit closer. Went in the first time a month or so ago. No powder, but he did have primers: $7.99 per 100, $79.98 per 1000.

"Holy cow!" says me, "That's double what I can get them for in other stores around the state."

"Do you want them or not?" he asks. "Not at that price." says me. He shrugged and put them back on the shelf.

I don't know if he's doing much business. He didn't (and won't) get any of mine.

sigep1764
03-24-2014, 12:11 AM
If any body is in the St. Louis area, Graf's in St. Charles has good prices, usually has some powder in stock, always has primers and brass. They are pretty knowledgeable too. Got schooled on the benefits of pub powder since most use it for shotgun reloading. Used it in 2000 rounds of 9mm no problem.

starmac
03-24-2014, 12:37 AM
I have seen 2400 exactly twice in over a year here. It may have come in more, but always disappears the day it hits the shelf. with a two pound a day limit, you can only get two pounds before it is gone for months again. lol