PDA

View Full Version : A little Snow casting and my new Steel Plate rack

gray wolf
03-16-2014, 07:46 PM
I guess I had just about all the Snow and cold weather I could stand, I got some stuff from the shed
and set up on the deck rail. 2X2 piece or particle board and two C-clamps held it in place.
I had to build a baffle around the back part of the pot cause that's the place Mr. Lee put the thing he calls a thermostat. A little card board was all I could come up with, a little fiber glass insulation may have been better but I didn't have any. Anyway it didn't work, even with the pot turned all the way down it went into thermal over load and I had to control the temp. with the plug at the out let.
A foot switch would have been nice but I am not into electricity so I am not sure if a common in line click on, click off, switch would work, OK-- well it can't stay cold forever, ----Can it ?
I did manage to cast a couple huned bullets and I felt like I did something--I was happy---
and the new Ester Oil mold lube worked very well, I hope it can do as well in the warm summer heat.

This is a Pic. of the target stand, My friend that does a little welding did the construction with some feed back from me as to the initial make up of the stand. I wanted it easy to transport and be field reparable if need. He had some old Iron bed frame and that's what we used for the frame. The two side pieces are bolted together in the middle and open with a Scissor like motion.
The pieces on the bottom to keep it stable laterally are welded to the frame.
So you open the two sides and the piece that go across the top to hold the plate inserts into the side pieces and is held in place with a nut, It Has two movable collars with two bolts in and a long flat cut into the bar so it won't rotate. This is handy cause it brings the plate up and down as it it moved in and out. To hooks are welded to it for the plate chain to hang from. The plate is 6X8 1/2" AR-500
Two carriage bolts go through the plate and some spacers are added to give the plate a slight backward slant, I think this will help deflect the bullets a tad better.
When the top bar is removed the stand folds up and is easily transported.
I think I will look for a little lighter chain, I could also hang the plate with some simple S hooks.
Any changes can be easily made.

This is the unit from the side ( DUH ) it shows a little different perspective and i don't think I need to jabber to much about it.
WHAT CHA THINK ??

blackthorn
03-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Cool stand! Cool weather too eh?

CastingFool
03-16-2014, 08:27 PM
That'll work! I have a 3/8" thick plate, about 12" diameter that I want to set up as a target, but need a stand. Thought of making one out of treated lumber, and set it up permanently, as I don't plan on taking it anywhere.

TCFAN
03-16-2014, 08:42 PM
I have several steel plates set up at my place. I use a Shepperd hook as a low cost easy way to put up a steel plate.
Here is a couple of photos..

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/Range%20photos/DSC_2421_800x532.jpg (http://s755.photobucket.com/user/TCintheOzarks/media/Range%20photos/DSC_2421_800x532.jpg.html)

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/Range%20photos/DSC_2431_399x600.jpg (http://s755.photobucket.com/user/TCintheOzarks/media/Range%20photos/DSC_2431_399x600.jpg.html)

gray wolf
03-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Lumber works fine for a permanent build, even even saw horses for that matter.
Just a note though, when the bullets hit them they really frag, and the pieces fly off in about a 20* angle and they are moving fast, many small pieces. The will eventually chew up anything, wood included.
I would use at least 4X4 if the up rights are close together, it will nail the top support also, but it woll take a little time.
If it's not AR 500 it will depend on what you shoot at it, if it gets cratered ( pock marks ) and you get raised edges it can and will cause bullets or part there off to cme back at the shooter on onlookers.

gray wolf
03-16-2014, 08:52 PM
TCFAN
Nice setup, Yup those hooks work just fine, I have seen fire hose also used to hang em.
I could go through a lot of ammo just doing one walk through at your set up.
WHAT ? and that's a bad thing ???

TCFAN
03-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks gray wolf...If you ever get down this way you can come and shoot all you want.I encourage the neighbors to come and shoot all they want. Most do not reload so I get all of their empty brass.Works good for me.....Terry

gray wolf
03-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the offer, I have my brass trained, when it ejects it goes into my pocket.
It's all to do with the angle you put on the ejector face, it's a little tricky and it take a while to get it just right.
Sometimes if your a little off it goes in someone else pocket.:kidding:

Walter Laich
03-17-2014, 03:01 PM
agree with the backwards slant at the bottom. top closer to shooter. We do this in cowboy shooting to keep splatter under control. Still get a bit now and then but much better than straight down