PDA

View Full Version : Happy happy happy

DCP
03-15-2014, 07:35 PM
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
On Jan 9 Patches our 9 year old Miniature Schnauzer was diagnose with Diabetes
On Jan 10 2014 are beloved Angel a 14 year old Miniature Schnauzer had to be put down.
We have been upping the units of insulin for Patches with no effect for over 2 months, she went from 20 to 14 pounds.
The Vet has been working very hard to find a (cure)
We have been thinking the worst. Lots of prayers ,Lots of prayers went out.
Until today we got a very good Glucose Curve
We now have hope we can hold on to
Thank you LORD
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

DCP
03-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I posted this little miracle nearly 24 hrs ago.
Almost 100 views not one soul could thank God with me.

I know I am not with the in crowd here. I sure thought God and Dogs were.

I thought dog owners would ask questions about diabetes in dogs.

I will say this this site has changed and a lot of good people have left
I could say so much more but its most likely better I don’t

Vaya con DIOS

waksupi
03-16-2014, 09:55 PM
First time I saw it, myself. Dogs are people too, and good family members. Best wishes.

Fishman
03-16-2014, 10:02 PM
DCP, many times I read someone's news, joyful or sad, and realize anything I might say would be insignificant compared to what they have experienced. Instead I might offer a quick prayer which is easier for the introverted among us to accomplish and arguably does more good. I am glad you have found a way to put Patches on the road to recovery and I am sure many others feel the same way.

contender1
03-16-2014, 10:03 PM
I was on here this morning, but didn't see your post either. To chastise folks for not posting anything isn't polite.
There may be many different reasons nobody posted.
I doubt seriously that anybody who loves dogs didn't feel good to know you got good news.

Heavy lead
03-16-2014, 10:13 PM
DCP, I didn't see it either, from my avatar you can tell I love dogs, they pick you, not the other way around. I'm happy for your success you are having with Patches.
And sorry for your loss on the 10th of January, I too had a loss on the 2nd of that month. It still hurts.
Don't just cut and run because you didn't get reply's, people don't always see everything.
So this is me thanking God with you.

sac_fff
03-16-2014, 10:18 PM
I, too, just saw the post. I'm delighted that you have had some good news. I'm a dog lover and a strong believer in prayer. It would take to long to explain it all, but I've been VERY blessed on numerous occasions recently. Congratulations and God bless!

Ron

jaydub in wi
03-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I just saw this post as I worked 12 hrs all weekend. I lost my 11 year old cocker spaniel 10 days ago, so I know a little bit about what you are going through. I'm picking up an 8 week old pup on Tuesday. Glad to hear that you seem to have a workable solution. God bless you and yours

Goatwhiskers
03-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Interesting how sometimes we are blessed with a pet, dog or cat, that is a special gift. We have had several, even a couple of horses, that have touched our lives and are sorely missed. GW

MtGun44
03-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Best wishes, I know how you feel, pray that it is a long term fix.
Pets really get into your heart.

Bill

badbob454
03-17-2014, 01:53 AM
first time i swa this too hopr the glucose stays at a good level , i too have type 2 diabetes and i am a dog lover . best wishes

smokeywolf
03-17-2014, 02:01 AM
DCP, just came across your thread. We are animal lovers and rejoice for Patches' turn around.

Now that I'm subscribed to the thread we'll look for updates.

smokeywolf

Artful
03-17-2014, 02:03 AM
Sorry for the loss of one of your family, I'm sure Angel had a Happy Life with you.
And that you are getting the Diabetes under control for Patches is a blessing indeed.
Just so you know I almost skipped this post entirely as my wife, who is Diabetic,
earlier when we were out at Walmart, she was showing me Duck Dynasty merchandise and evidently on of them uses Happy, Happy, Happy as a catch phrase.

Col4570
03-17-2014, 02:05 AM
They want little from us,just love ,good food nice walks and play.I admire your dedication to improve your dogs health and know that you will receive your rewards ten fold for all you have done for her.Best wishes to you and all that regard their animals as family members.

MaryB
03-17-2014, 03:51 AM
Glad to see that the meds are working, once stable it takes off some of the stress to keep them eating right etc. Friend lost a puppy last night to poisoning, someone threw a poisoned ball of meat into the yard. Lucky only 1 of her 2 labs got into it.

MrWolf
03-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Just saw this post also. Sorry for your loss and congratz on the recovery of Patches. We are also dealing with medical issues on one of our dogs who will probably not see the end of this year.

DCP
03-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks to all

You see the wife knew I started this thread. She asked ?s all day long. She finally just broke down and cried because no one had written anything. She said "if no one says anything the thread will just die. Why don't they understand."
She understood this morning. She also say thank you.

Here is a link to when we lost Angel http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226357-Lost-my-best-friend-Pretty-little-Angel-eyes&highlight=
She was a great and wonderful.

Rest in peace girl but you must wait some for Patches.
I love you so

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226357-Lost-my-best-friend-Pretty-little-Angel-eyes&highlight=

Doc Highwall
03-17-2014, 08:19 AM
I also just saw this thread and I am also in the group that has feelings, but don't know what to say so I have tendency to read them and just have personal thoughts with nothing put in writing.

Bad Water Bill
03-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I posted this little miracle nearly 24 hrs ago.
Almost 100 views not one soul could thank God with me.

I know I am not with the in crowd here. I sure thought God and Dogs were.

I thought dog owners would ask questions about diabetes in dogs.

I will say this this site has changed and a lot of good people have left
I could say so much more but its most likely better I don’t

Vaya con DIOS

Lots of folks look at a post and do not respond.

I spent HUNDREDS of hours here last year informing fellow Illinois residents about CCW.

I posted a question about who would attend the IGOLD rally on the 2nd of last month and there were thousands of views but not ONE resident of Illinois has responded YET.

Our attendance dropped from over 8,000 last year to less than 2,000 this year.

Some things just get higher priorities at the time we read a new post.

Yes I and my daughter had to put down Dusty (another Min Schnauzer) due to the same problem and Lara worked for a vet at the time.

Some times peoples priorities change but the entire site has not changed.

I will not leave till 45 Nut tells me to get lost, because we DO care.

crazy mark
03-17-2014, 11:00 PM
I also feel sorry for your loss and also your good news. We lost 2 doxies with-in a month 3 years ago. One died of system failures and then the other one quit eating and having diabetic problems. They couldn't save him. About 6 months later we started getting more Doxies and have 4 now. They are rescues. The oldest one is starting to have problems with her balance. I hope you enjoy many more years with your diabetic dog. God Bless.

DCP
03-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Update

Went to the Vet yesterday

The vet is happy with the weight gain and the curve numbers. But the curve numbers are in reverse.

They gave her a $ 140.00 test that won’t be back for about 72 hours. They had to take urine from her bladder with a needle (OUCH)

At least were going the right direction.

The wife and I are now just
Happy Happy

Thanks to all

white eagle
03-18-2014, 07:43 AM
I realize what you are going through
I have had it happen several times its never easy our companions are more than mere pets they become so ingrained in us it is extremely hard when these things happen
condolences for your lost family member and good wishes for the remaining one

buckwheatpaul
03-18-2014, 08:37 AM
We are on schnauzers #5 and #6...they are very special breed and I do feel your pain at your loss (Patches) and the joy of the the promissing treatment of Angel....

Hawkeye45
03-18-2014, 02:17 PM
There are more people here that care a lot about members and pets than you can shake a stick at. I usually do not post because by the time I get to it my feelings have already been expressed by other good people here. God made pets for us to love and for them to take care of us. I have no children so my dogs have to fill that spot. I have been blessed, as have you and yours.
God bless you and your extended family.

Mr. Ed and my avatar Duke

smokeywolf
03-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Will be checking back for your update, RE: today's test on Patches.

smokeywolf

DCP
03-27-2014, 04:32 PM
UPDATE

Test came back negative
Patches has been gaining a little weight. She is doing very good. Thanks Lord

Vet says we don't have to do a Glucose Curve for at least 2 weeks.

smokeywolf
03-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Good news DCP. Very good news.

smokeywolf

MrWolf
03-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Great news!

Artful
03-27-2014, 06:44 PM
That's what we wanted to hear from ya.
Go Patches Go

facetious
03-28-2014, 06:15 AM
We have a dog with diabetes a little jackrat name Pearl. See has had it for about six years. We have been through every thing that you have talked about and it is not easy.

What you need to do is get a glucometer calibrated for dogs. The vet should be able to tell you how to get one. We test her every morning at 7:00 then at 2:00 to 3:00 in the after noon. I test her at 1:30 to 2:30 in the morning when I get home work. We keep a note book with a line for each day that we write the numbers down. This way we are doing a running curve all the time and can see how she fluctuates through the day. We feed the dogs (we have four) twice a day, 7:00 in the morning and 7:00 at night. She gets one cup of food each meal. No food is left out where she could get in to it and blow her sugar to high. When testing in the after noon and at night if she is low we give her a snack, we give her her dog food but we count how many pieces and write it down with her numbers. If she is high get on your walking shoes and head out for a walk. On most days now I walk her two to three miles a day. When she first got it I was doing three miles be for I went to work and two when I got home to keep her sugar down. At one point I was wearing out two pairs of shoes a year.
We give her her shots at 7:00 am and pm. Right now she is getting six units twice a day.

If she gets to high we have found that we can get her to drink a lot of water and that it will bring her sugar down. We keep boiled chicken in the freezer and will chop up a small piece and put it in the water and heat it up in the microwave to make what we call chicken water. Let it cool off a little be for giving it to her.

Nothing about this is going to be easy but after a while we don't even think about it. Oh and get two alarm clocks and set them for the shots, one set for the morning and one for the night so you don't forget the give the shot . Every one tells me how great it is that we have saved her life for so long but some times I think she may have saved mine. In the last six years i have went from 230 lb to 195 lb's. walking the dogs. At work I look at how many guys have had heart attacks an or other problems and can't help wondering if that could have been me.

We are lucky in that I work nights so I can test her when I get up and when I get home. But the times are not important you just have to get in to a schedule that you can keep up with.

Good luck and keep us up on how it is going.

DCP
03-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Guys

Last Sunday I had this put on my upper left arm.
It looks just like Angel. Being in my heart just didn't seem enough.

On May 4 a 2nd one will go on my upper right arm of Patches.
There was a time I didn't think she would make it.

New Puppy in May or June. Looks like Patches will help raise a little sister. Thank God

Happy Happy Happy

Vaya con Dios

Artful
03-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Very nicely inked

ghh3rd
03-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Glad things are looking up.

Randy

smokeywolf
03-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Not a fan of tattoos, but appreciate the artistic talent and effort that goes into some of them. Whomever did Angel certainly has talent.

Pics of the new puppy when you get him/her.

smokeywolf

pistolshooter
04-02-2014, 01:43 AM
DCP, from one mini-schnauzer "owner" to another, I know what you are going thru and send my sympathies to you and your wife. We lost our beloved Heidi, 14, a year ago last October after a long health struggle. We, and the vet, did everything we could do, but finally had to let her go. Very sad thing to go thru. I must be getting old, but I still can't think about her without tearing up. We are fortunate to have our 5 and 1 year old mini-schnauzers to keep us company and bring smiles everyday. Couldn't do without them. Our thoughts are with you and Patches, and hope all turns out well.