PDA

View Full Version : Elk question

Blammer
03-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Ok on a side pose.

ON AVERAGE

how many inches from back bone to belly on a Cow Elk?

singleshot
03-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Do you mean from the top of the back to bottom of belly, or from spine to closest portion of the actual stomach? Are you trying to determine distance by average size of critter? Or are you trying to determine your margin of error to avoid a gut-shot animal?

singleshot
03-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Top to bottom I'd say about 33" on average, but that's a guestimate, not an actual measurement.

Larry Gibson
03-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Measured quite a few Rocky Mountain elk back in the '70s and '80s for range finding with Redfield AcuTrac. Found 24" was a good average from top of back to bottom of brisket. If it was an older cow elk Id use 30" and if younger (1-2 year old) I'd use 18". 24" was a good measurement for spike bulls.

Larry Gibson

Wolfer
03-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Measured quite a few Rocky Mountain elk back in the '70s and '80s for range finding with Redfield AcuTrac. Found 24" was a good average from top of back to bottom of brisket. If it was an older cow elk Id use 30" and if younger (1-2 year old) I'd use 18". 24" was a good measurement for spike bulls.

Larry Gibson

I've always used my scope reticle for a range finder and have measured several. My findings match Larry's.

Blammer
03-15-2014, 07:26 PM
just trying to get an average of what size it is. I know averge for a deer is about 18".

Not trying to use range estimation or anything, yet. Just trying to get an idea of how big these critters are. :)

On Deer I aim fairly low on the body to get the heart and lungs, are Elk the same way? Heart is low in the ribcage?

swheeler
03-15-2014, 07:46 PM
just trying to get an average of what size it is. I know averge for a deer is about 18".

Not trying to use range estimation or anything, yet. Just trying to get an idea of how big these critters are. :)

On Deer I aim fairly low on the body to get the heart and lungs, are Elk the same way? Heart is low in the ribcage?

2 feet on a cow is average, 2-6 on a mature bull and yes the heart is low in the rib cage, their air bags are huge compared to a deer, you can drive a bullet through top of shoulder blade and take out lungs on a broadside.

Blammer
03-15-2014, 09:19 PM
2 feet on a cow is average, 2-6 on a mature bull and yes the heart is low in the rib cage, their air bags are huge compared to a deer, you can drive a bullet through top of shoulder blade and take out lungs on a broadside.

is that 2 to 6 FEET? :)

Blammer
03-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Where would you place your first shot?

high shoulder for lungs and knock down?

or low into the heart/lung area and aiming for some of the front running gear coming or going?

GunnyJohn
03-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Like with anything, all depends. I never shoot at the shoulders, waste to much meat. If I'm close enough, I'll take a head or neck shot. Far away, I shoot heart/lung shot.

Idaho Mule
03-15-2014, 11:19 PM
Blammer, I prefer the lower heart/lung, quite often you get a leg either in or out. If you end up in close range shooting follow GunnyJohns's recipe for head/neck. Your .35 cal. will do fine in either situation. JW

xacex
03-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Roosevelt's are a bit thicker in the belly than the Rocky Mt. elk but not by much. 33 would be a good average for the critter over here on the Oregon coast range. Some can get a bit thicker if they are feeding on the milk cow pasture in Tillamook.

Wolfer
03-16-2014, 12:02 AM
I've done considerable elk hunting and I take the shot they offer me. It may be the only one I get.
Given the chance I try to break at least one shoulder, preferably both.

quilbilly
03-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Roosevelt's are a bit thicker in the belly than the Rocky Mt. elk but not by much. 33 would be a good average for the critter over here on the Oregon coast range. Some can get a bit thicker if they are feeding on the milk cow pasture in Tillamook. Definitely right. Roosevelts are significantly larger in body size as an adaptation to the violent coastal NW climate.

swheeler
03-16-2014, 12:58 AM
is that 2 to 6 FEET? :)

you bet and a 2-8 x 6-8 door is 2 ft TO 8 ft wide x 6ft to 8ft tall;)

xacex
03-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Definitely right. Roosevelts are significantly larger in body size as an adaptation to the violent coastal NW climate.
You get one you better have a full size pickup if you plan on taking it out whole, and have a winch to get it in. It is not uncommon to see full size truck on opening day with a rack that spreads past both sides of the bed cruising down the road in Tillamook. It is not as much a adaptation to the environment as it is to a different breed of elk altogether. These things are big, and they make you work to get them out. I have yet to participate in taking one out whole. The quarters are enough for me on flat land, let alone what I hunt out in the coast range. Well worth the pain, but you think twice before pulling the trigger. At least I do anyway.

Larry Gibson
03-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Blammer

I killed 18 elk on license and quite a few others as an LEO. The heart on an elk is pretty much in the same place as on deer; low in the chest by the brisket right between the legs on a perfect broadside view.

The perfect broadside shot is seldom presented. I thus envision a soccer ball between the legs against the breast bone. At the angle of the shot I aim to put the bullet through that soccer ball. Besides the heart the thickest part of the lungs are there, the major arteries and veins and you will more than likely take out one leg. A hit through the soccer ball and the elk will go down quickly but as always there are exceptions, especially with and adrenaline pumped elk. That's why I do not hesitate to take a second shot. I do not wait to see if the first shot puts the elk down. With a proper cartridge and bullet there is minimal meat damage.

Also if you want the best eating elk understand that elk are not like deer. A deer gutted with the cavity open will still cool down properly. An elk won't because their hair has a lot more insulation value and they have a lot more body heat. I learned from some old time elk hunter to gut and skin the elk as soon as possible so the meat cools and does not "sour" (get that rangy "gamey" taste many talk about). Thus as soon as the tag is filled out the elk is gutted, skinned and quartered. Where I hunt it usually is a lot easier to pack out that way as most always the closest a vehicle is several miles away. A couple good, sharp knives, a game saw and game bags in a pack frame are always carried along with some incidentals to make the job easier.

Larry Gibson

swheeler
03-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Blammer

I killed 18 elk on license and quite a few others as an LEO. The heart on an elk is pretty much in the same place as on deer; low in the chest by the brisket right between the legs on a perfect broadside view.

The perfect broadside shot is seldom presented. I thus envision a soccer ball between the legs against the breast bone. At the angle of the shot I aim to put the bullet through that soccer ball. Besides the heart the thickest part of the lungs are there, the major arteries and veins and you will more than likely take out one leg. A hit through the soccer ball and the elk will go down quickly but as always there are exceptions, especially with and adrenaline pumped elk. That's why I do not hesitate to take a second shot. I do not wait to see if the first shot puts the elk down. With a proper cartridge and bullet there is minimal meat damage.

Also if you want the best eating elk understand that elk are not like deer. A deer gutted with the cavity open will still cool down properly. An elk won't because their hair has a lot more insulation value and they have a lot more body heat. I learned from some old time elk hunter to gut and skin the elk as soon as possible so the meat cools and does not "sour" (get that rangy "gamey" taste many talk about). Thus as soon as the tag is filled out the elk is gutted, skinned and quartered. Where I hunt it usually is a lot easier to pack out that way as most always the closest a vehicle is several miles away. A couple good, sharp knives, a game saw and game bags in a pack frame are always carried along with some incidentals to make the job easier.

Larry Gibson

That is sound advice. I have only taken 13 and non as a LEO, 2 came out behind a snow mobile, 1 I had two helpers and it went in the back of my pickup and the other 10 all came out on my Alaskan Meat Packer pack frame. I have never had one " bone sour" but have seen plenty that did because of sloppy hunters not getting them skinned and cooled.

leadman
03-16-2014, 11:24 AM
I tend to aim for the low chest between the front legs as this puts them down pretty fast. I have taken other shots when it was all that was presented. If the leg is forward on the side towards you aim right behind it and 3" or so up from the bottom if possible.
I second what Larry said about skinning them quickly. My friend shot one just before dark and did not find it until the next morning and it already was spoiled.
I tend to not hang them just peel the skin back on the top side and cut the elk up into chunks them roll it over. I don't gut them but reach in thru the side to get the tenderloins out.
I have a trailer I built just to haul elk that has a 1,700 pound 2 speed hand crank winch on a stand on the tongue. The trailer is purposely built light in the front so it tips up easy to slide the elk in. Now that I am old I tend to hunt only where I can get the trailer in to the elk.

Now that the Forest Service has prohibited driving on many long established roads here in Az. I bought a game carrier to haul elk on. One front and one rear leg would be about all that will fit on it.

dk17hmr
03-16-2014, 11:44 AM
I am a fan of shooting the off side shoulder, through the lungs and heart of course. But like already said if there is a shot I will take it, high shoulder works to anchor them, but usually require a follow up shot. The situation usually dictates the shot placement, if they are pointed down hill towards camp in thick country I will to take out the pump station, if the terrain is flat or they are pointed up hill I like to anchor them.....you will see why when you get one on the ground.

I also don't stop shooting until they stop moving....one shot kills are great but there is a lot of blood in an elk and they can go a long, long ways leaking it out. There is more than once I was hunting with someone and have "yelled hit em again", which is usually the first thing to come out of my mouth after the shot on any animal, and they didn't making for a long day for myself and the guy doing the shooting.

After the critter is on the ground take your time but be quick about it. Depends on how cold it is and how far you have to pack will really tell you how you have to quarter out the animal. If it is warm by all means get that hide off, BEFORE you gut, if you do gut out the animal.....skinning half of the elk and quarter than rolling it over and skinning the other side usually works well.

More than 1 sharp knife! I use a Havalon Piranta and a thick hook bladed Gerber. The Havalon does all the meat cutting and the Gerber is used to pop the joints in the legs and cut the skin from the chin to the tail for skinning. I don't gut anymore. Not really worth the extra time, unless I am getting the heart which is the last step and I only open it up enough to cut it out....I don't do other organ meats. Youtube "quick quarter elk" that is basically how I do it but when I'm done the carcass is clean.

sixshot
03-16-2014, 04:04 PM
I've taken 25 elk, 13 of them with handguns & very few have been easy, most have been taken out on the horses & mules & getting them cooled down in a hurry is important. I shoot them as soon as I have a good shot, usually lungs or high shoulder shot, I do not like head or neck shots, too risky but many take that chance. I know it works but it can also fail miserably & I don't believe in the clean miss theory on head/neck shots. The hide, especially up on the neck/front shoulders is thick, thats where they usually sour if left in the heat very long. I don't always skin them but I get them quartered asap.
A great way to pack them out on horses & mules is to cut them in half cross ways, get it as even as you can weight wise. Then take a hachett or saw (I use a Wyoming saw) & saw down the back bone but not through the hide. Now take your skinning knife & cut away the back bone from the hide so that you have about 12"-14" of hide exposed, punch a hole in the hide, this goes over the saddle horn. You want it so the legs are pointing to the front, you won't need any rope, it rides just like a man in the saddle. Fast & easy.

Dick

NVScouter
03-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Last survey i read was cow 42" from shoulder to ground, about 25" from shoulder to ribcage bottom

MT Gianni
03-17-2014, 09:34 PM
I am another fan of breaking the far shoulder. Usually that passes threw the lungs. The most recent improvement in packing out game that I heard was the use of an 18 v portable saw. That allowed quartering out a much shorter time than the short stroke saw, hit the ax along the spine or chain saw with vegetable oil as a bar oil methods.

chambers
03-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Have shot multiple elk, best shot is when the closest leg is just starting to move forward, and place shot in lower 1/3. Had several run 70-80 yards and pile up. Always suggest to follow up with second shot as I have found old bullets from previous years under the skin. Have used mules to haul out as being quartered out and have had to pack out two elk in same day from my son's elk and mine, shot at the same time about 1.5 miles one way trip- you need a good frame pack and this still took three of us majority of a day to quarter( debone except hind legs) and carry.

Algaeeater
03-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Blammer. Any shot on an elk that puts it down fast is a good one. Like said, they seldom "pose" for you. One thing about a shot quartering through the leg, the bone fragments can turn the lungs into hamburger. Packed one of mine out almost 4 miles and had to cross the headwaters of the clearwater river in the middle of that. First thing I do when I shoot one is to wonder why I did it.

singleshot
03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Nobody else packs an elk with snow to cool it down? :-)

xacex
03-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Nobody else packs an elk with snow to cool it down? :-)

Usually no snow during our general elk season. Last year it was in the mid sixties to 70F.

dk17hmr
03-22-2014, 01:44 PM
It was -15F when I shot my last elk......we had 2 on the ground I wanted to get them quarter before they froze solid and I would need a saw. It was probably -30 that night and it took more than 1/2 a day of hanging in my garage with the heat going to thawed out enough to skin and cut.

GaryN
03-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Some good advice above. I have shot two with a rifle and 18 with my bow. I stay away from the shoulder with a bow. I aim right behind it. When you get the first one down you will walk up to it and think "Now what am I going to do. This is like a dead horse laying here". Over the years I have changed how I take care of them. One, because it is in late August to early Sept. and two because I usually have to pack them out on my back. I had one die in a beaver pond without a tree within a hundred yards. My plan was to hang it and quarter it. Since then I skin off one side and take off all the meat and no bones. Then I pull the hide back over it and roll it over. I take no bones or hide. I do not gut it unless I'm going after the fillets. I separate the muscles and take them out individually as much as possible. I cut up my own elk so this saves me time. I end up with the same amount of meat this way and leave a whole lot of weight in the mountains. Hey coyotes gotta eat too.

triggerhappy243
03-23-2014, 01:28 PM
the area of the vitals on an elk is huge. easily the size of a dinner plate. any bullet... I dont care what it is, if you get it into the thick of the vitals, it's going down. and if you miss all the bone, it will likely come out the other side... if you have the energy behind the bullet. BTW.... Elk is awesome smoked.