PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Model 62 in 256 Win Mag

Jr.
03-15-2014, 03:47 AM
So I figured I'd ask the experts, I have a chance to pick up a levermatic in 256 Win Mag fairly cheap. What I was wondering is is it worth it. From what I've seen this cartridge has gone obsolete so finding components is going to be tough. I know 357 Mag brass could be necked down to work for this load. Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge?
Let me know what you think.

6pt-sika
03-15-2014, 06:39 AM
I had a pair of 62's in 256 and 30 carbine . Some folks like them and have very good luck with them . I can't say I was overly impressed with them . But I kept them maybe three years and later sold them for a profit .

Jr.
03-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Is it the action you did not like or the calibers? I know these rifles were not overly popular when they came out that's why they were only produced for 11 years or so. I have just never heard of the 256 and was curious about its performance

Nobade
03-16-2014, 09:13 AM
I have the rifle, but the 30 Carbine one. Rifle is not all that impressive - nasty trigger pull, doesn't feed very well from the magazine, had to pull the barrel and cut a throat in it and polish the chamber. Works fine now, but still it's not all that nice. Cartridge, on the other hand, is a dandy. I have had several Contenders chambered for it. Because of the throat design it is not a very good cast boolit shooter. Never did get it to work well at all. But with Speer 75gr. hollow points and IMR4227, it is a superb varmint round. Kills the heck out of things up to coyote size, and is quite accurate. I used to want to build one up for boolit shooting, and design a reamer to be more cast friendly but never did and now have other things to do. I do think one of those new Ruger 357 bolt guns with a 256 barrel on it would be a trick though. Appropriate I think since the original 256 gun was a Ruger to start everything off.

-Nobade

6pt-sika
03-16-2014, 03:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken High Standard made these rifles for Marlin or for some reason that sticks in my mind . They were made as less expensive utilitarian guns and that's what they were at least in my opinion .

Jr.
03-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Okay I may have to pick it up just out of curiosity. I have always liked odd ball cartridges and this one seems like it would be a fun one. If nothing else I can always keep it around for the kids to learn on. The worse the trigger the better for that. If you can shoot well with a bad trigger you can shoot excellent with a good one.

OverMax
03-16-2014, 05:22 PM
My friend has one. For awhile until we got him set up to do his own reloading I did reload 256 Win for him. Luckily he had plenty of brass for his. So there was never a worry about that. But as I recall many bullet manufactures did discontinue making specific bullets use in the 256. For example Speer had a really nice little 68 gr HP just for the 256 but its longer available. As far as accuracy my friends marlin is pretty accurate being its scoped. In fact he hunted deer with his. 25-2600 fps with that little 68 gr HP punched a pretty big hole in a doe's neck I once helped him recover from the woods. It may prove to be a challenge to swage 357 down to 256 but annealing first and only yellow brass being used for the purpose. With a little patience it should do-able. If you have the opportunity to buy one even with the draw backs it has concerning J-bullet selection. Consider buying. Unlike the 35 Rem the 256 has a popular Mother brass. Being a lever there's no worry of plugging a gas port using cast lead. And for a little cartridge it sure is a potent one. I really don't have a need for a Marlin 62. But if I happen to come across one for sale in decent shape I would buy it. No doubt about that. But its your decision to buy or not that really matters here. Good luck with that decision JR. Oh BTW if you do buy it. Ask if the owner has any spare clips to give or offer to sell.

GRUMPA
03-16-2014, 06:10 PM
256 cases are easy to make on your own......PROVIDED......you get the gauges for it. Only thing is if you start with 357mag brass the 256win mag case will be shorter than spec. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229076-256-Winchester-Magnum-Now-Ready-2-6-14

Best to make them from 357max brass.

As far as boolits go I have no clue but I'm sure with a bit of trial and error it can be done.

A person can make 35Rem from 308 cases if they have a lathe and the neck has to reamed.

Shuz
03-16-2014, 07:27 PM
I had a Marlin 62 in .256 Win Mag back in the 60's. I loaded for it but had to full length size all brass due to the rifles chamber being somewhat elliptical. That fact caused incipient head separations after about 3 reloadings from each case. I sold the rifle and never saw the "need" to go through that experience again.

crazy mark
03-18-2014, 11:42 PM
I still see empty brass every so often at gun shops or gun shows and you would think they are made of gold. I have about 150 original cases and 250 cases made from 357 mag. I use cast bullets in mine and have 4 mags for it.

Jr.
03-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Yes if I get this rifle I'll probably just size my own brass and give it a try.
You said you shoot cast out of yours which mould do you use? What alloy etc. Not sure why but this cartridge has got my curiosity spiked.