PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Beau Cassidy
03-14-2014, 11:18 PM
My small drill press finally crapped out on me a few weeks ago in the middle of a project. I am looking around at another one. I don't need anything expensive or production. Don't want to spend a ton of money. After looking at amazon and other sites I have about settled on this one. Anybody on here have any experience with this one? I have a 25% off coupon that makes it just that more attractive. It has a longer stroke and more power than others I have seen.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-speed-floor-production-drill-press-39955.html#.UyPE-l5BFoo

MT Gianni
03-14-2014, 11:35 PM
We have a saying about harbour freight. Make sure you plug it in before you leave as it's 200 miles back to the store. No matter the cost of things 10% don't seem to work when they are first plugged in. If you can live with those odds or are closer to a store go for it.

jcwit
03-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Have yet to have any issues with any Harbor Freight tools power or hand or otherwise except for their Vib tumblers when they first came out and I received my money back. This is after buying from H/F for 30 years now, back when they were only mail order, as in no stores.

I've spent thousands of bucks there.

Something like that drill press is available from many other outlets under different brand names.

Frank46
03-14-2014, 11:43 PM
My HF saw crapped out the first time I used it. Threw it back in the truck and drove to where I bought it. Got another one. Instructions went something like this. If switch is bad replace switch. If motor is bad replace motor. I went and bought a milwaukee extended throat portable band saw when they went on sale before Christmas. Frank

Beau Cassidy
03-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Harbor Freight is close. A lot of things from there are junk and disposable.

You are right about a lot of different equipment being the same- just branded different. My 15 inch Jet planer is basically the same one made by powermatic, steel city, etc...

badbob454
03-15-2014, 12:01 AM
just check out the lateral movement of the drill bit some have a lot of sise to side play like the bearings are trashed ... otherwise beats a hand drill

bangerjim
03-15-2014, 12:03 AM
That's a lot to spend on a HF drill press!!!!!!!

I have one of their bench models that has rack & pinion table adjustment, but have 3 milling/drilling machines and a floor drill press also.

Problem with HF is you have to check the quill "wobble". When I bought the little one above for my back shop, I insisted on opening it up in thier back room and grabbing the quill, extending it, and checking the amout of play back & forth. Amazing how quality varies over 4 different units!!!!!
Finally found that was acceptable. Even so, I took it apart, drilled and tapped 2 holes 90 deg apart and added nylon bolts with lock nuts to tighten against the quill to eliminate the play.

I do not have any experience with that one, but I got a name brand one (Delta) like that for less at Home Depot a couple years ago. Shop around.

banger

retread
03-15-2014, 12:14 AM
I would take a look at Grizzly. I would rather deal with them for that kind of money.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7948

R.M.
03-15-2014, 01:52 AM
I've had a HF floor model for 10+ years, and for the price, it can't be beat. I'm a retired toolmaker, so I know machines, and this drill press cuts the mustard for what I use it for.

lylejb
03-15-2014, 02:06 AM
I wouldn't spend that much on something with only a 90 day warranty. Other drill presses have a 1 year warranty.

Harbor freight's quality is hit and miss. Sometimes that's ok for small stuff.

I wouldn't buy that.

MtGun44
03-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Find a used Delta from the 50s or 60s. Available at good prices most of the
time and top quality machines.

Bill

a.squibload
03-15-2014, 02:44 AM
That does sound expensive.
I have a smaller (shorter) HF drill press bolted to a workbench,
One day the chuck fell out (taper fit), pushed it back in.
Otherwise have had no problems with HF stuff, even their angle grinder
is still going strong.

smokeywolf
03-15-2014, 04:10 AM
Beau, don't know where you are, but I'd be more inclined to look for a deal on a used Rockwell-Delta, Powermatic, Clausing, Walker-Turner or Avey.

smokeywolf

6bg6ga
03-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Find a used Delta from the 50s or 60s. Available at good prices most of the
time and top quality machines.

Bill

I'll have to second the old delta machines. All that I used were 100% true and you just cannot hurt them. Well worth the price.

762 shooter
03-15-2014, 07:23 AM
+3 on old Delta. Or old Craftsman. Great old machines.

farmerjim
03-15-2014, 07:32 AM
I have one 20 years old. It works fine. I do agree that most of HF is cheep junk.

jcwit
03-15-2014, 08:19 AM
I think some here made a good suggestion, check for a used one, Delta, Craftsman, etc. Look around at your local pawn shops, might have just what you want for half the price.

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2014, 08:31 AM
I think I'd go hunting yard sales & Craigslist for an older high quality machine rather than paying $500+ for something that you're going to use only occasionally. If you're not in a huge hurry I bet you could find a very good quality drill press for less than $200.

wch
03-15-2014, 08:32 AM
I bought a floor mount Black Bull drill press from Tractor Supply, seems to be a good one and it cost about $230.00.

Handloader109
03-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Your paying for the big table and a "better" rack on this one. I would not spend that much on a hf drill. Find good used for a third of that.

dagger dog
03-15-2014, 09:16 AM
just check out the lateral movement of the drill bit some have a lot of sise to side play like the bearings are trashed ... otherwise beats a hand drill

A very true statement. I have on of the cheap Chinese table top presses and it's ok to make holes in things but not for precision work !

Char-Gar
03-15-2014, 09:19 AM
I have had and used a Jet 17" floor model drill press for the last ten years and it is a very good piece of equipment. I went with Jet because Lee Jurris said it was all he used in his shop. Here is a link to the press. It is just fine for general gun and handloading work.

http://www.amazon.com/JET-JDP-17MF-354169-Drill-Press/dp/B00004T9L0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394889414&sr=8-3&keywords=jet+drill+press+17

Beau Cassidy
03-15-2014, 10:19 AM
I have been looking high and low. All I am finding is rusted out junk.

bob208
03-15-2014, 10:20 AM
that kind of money for a Chinese drill press. no way would I even think about it. I only paid $600 for a used causing knee mill.

check out the auctions near you. craigslist you mite find one.

Kraschenbirn
03-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Back when they held parking lot tool sales out of the back of a semi-trailer...around 30 years ago as I recall...I bought a 1 HP Jet drillpress for $99. One replacement motor, a couple of new chucks, and a half-dozen belt sets later, it's still in my workshop, hoggin' out holes. IMO, for that kind of money, you should be able to do a lot better than what HF is offering...specially with that $89 shipping charge buried in the product description.

Bill

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
I would repeat most of the suggestions offered so far.
While I do buy lots of HF Krap...it is all hit and miss.

I had the small HF table top drill press for a few years...it had too much wobble. But I got by til I found a decent older used craftsman large table top drill press.

besides the better quality of an older american made machine,
you also get much better resale value.
while you may be buying a tool to last your lifetime,
at some time it's gonna get sold by you or a family member.
today's $500 HF drill press might sell for $100 many years from now,
while a older American made drill press will probably go up in value
if properly cared for.

BTW, when I sold my $50 HF drill press, it sold for $20 to a neighbor, and I felt like I was ripping him off. I told him over and over it was krap (at my garage sale), but he bought it anyway...I would have preferred to sell it to a stranger.
Good Luck,
Jon.

HeavyMetal
03-15-2014, 11:44 AM
I buy a lot of HF stuff and as stated found quality to be hit and miss, mosy of the small power tools are a good deal for the money, 24 volt cordless drill for 18 bucks! Get Two!

But I checked the HF link for the drill press posted and I wouldn't pay that price for it even if I got the 2 year replacement for 5 bucks.

AS posted above I bought a nice Clusing Knee mill for 900 and got a lot more tool for the money!

You may not have a need for a mill but I'm thinking you can do a little more searching on craigslist and find a good used american made drill press for less. search other cities if you need to pictures can be emailed, heck you were going to pay most of a C note for shipping anyway!

Search craigslist you may find a deal locally.

TXGunNut
03-15-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm sure it depends on your intended use. I bought a new 12" table top Delta 4-5 years ago and it has all the precision and utility I need for quite a bit less money. I don't want to give up the floorspace for a floor model and haven't had the need for one.

bangerjim
03-15-2014, 12:17 PM
I've had a HF floor model for 10+ years, and for the price, it can't be beat. I'm a retired toolmaker, so I know machines, and this drill press cuts the mustard for what I use it for.

RM.........HF tools of a decade ago are much higher quality than the pig iron they crank out today. I too have many HF big machine tools (shaper, jointer, 2 mill drills and a metal bandsaw) that are 10-15 years old and they have held up very well. For hobby work ONLY!. They get used a lot but not for business or production work.

The new stuff has gone down in QC and materials drastically, just like everything else today. Can you say .....CHINACRAP?

Seriously.....look at Home Depot and Lowes....and even Sears. You have go to have those. They are everywhere!

bangerjim

jcwit
03-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Have no idea of your location but you can get one of these

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365430_200365430

for $299 and I checked shipping to my location "No. Indiana" and it was $100 bucks by truck, still cheaper then H/F.

They also have this Jet that I don't think you could go wrong with for $699 and I would think shipping would be the same or very close.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_637_637

Beau Cassidy
03-15-2014, 01:25 PM
jcwit I have looked at that drill press. It is only 3/4 HP. Seems kinda meager to me. Same for the Jet. Both look to be the exact same machine. A few manufacturers make all machines and just brand them to whoever has a current contract. Of the 2 I would be tempted to get the Northern Tool one.

jcwit
03-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Isn't that what I said in post #3?

my quote

Something like that drill press is available from many other outlets under different brand names.

Put a larger motor on it and sell the 3/4 on craigs list.

YUP! That's why people buy a Buick over a Chevy.

TXGunNut
03-15-2014, 01:45 PM
... Both look to be the exact same machine. A few manufacturers make all machines and just brand them to whoever has a current contract. Of the 2 I would be tempted to get the Northern Tool one.

In many types of products there are a few manufacturers making products for many other companies. The thing to remember is that the company sets the specs for the product so while several machines may look alike they quite often differ in significant ways. To complicate that companies are all too often bought and sold or may change corporate philosophy. HF products are targeted for consumers who feel price is the most important consideration when buying a tool. I'll buy cheap tools if I foresee a very limited use for that tool; if it will see heavy use or have to meet high standards of precision I'll pay more for a tool that I hope will outlast me.

Mal Paso
03-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Grizzly has 10% Off until the 21st. Coupon code: 14MACPJTB

sparky45
03-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Hey Mal, anyone ever tell you you look like Dr. Johnny Fever of WKRP?

HeavyMetal
03-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Hey Beau
just for grins I googled Craigslist here in LA saw a bunch of drill press's including craftsman and walker turner, many fo far less than the HF one your looking at. The walker turner was a dual drill press deal for way to much money but it does give one ideas?

Since you were going to pay shipping any way perhaps a few phone calls to some of these guys in LA might net you s much better machine fo far less money.

Yes I did see some rusty junk, as well as a disgised HF add but as in all things if you sift through enough adds you will find a treasure.

Check both LA and Orange county the up side to having to many people around is a lot of them need to move stuff they no longer need or inherited.

Good luck

Mal Paso
03-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Hey Mal, anyone ever tell you you look like Dr. Johnny Fever of WKRP?

No, but then I don't look anything like this off camera.:wink:

bangerjim
03-15-2014, 03:35 PM
jcwit I have looked at that drill press. It is only 3/4 HP. Seems kinda meager to me. Same for the Jet. Both look to be the exact same machine. A few manufacturers make all machines and just brand them to whoever has a current contract. Of the 2 I would be tempted to get the Northern Tool one.

You obviously do not realize the spindle power developed with a 3/4 HP motor and the speed reduction belts & pulleys!!!!!! LOTS!!!!!!!!

Unless you are trying to hog 3" holes out of iron wood with a Forstner bit at 1500 RPM, 3/4 will do pretty everything you will EVER want to do!!!!! Drilling large holes in steel will be at some of the lowest spindle speeds you have and power is extremely high.

But you can change out the motor if not sufficient for you needs.

Just do not pass up a good solid press because it has a 3/4HP motor.

bnager

Mal Paso
03-15-2014, 05:56 PM
3/4 HP SAE is plenty but some of the Import 3/4 HP motors are more like 3/8 HP. I upgraded the motor on the big HF benchtop drillpress and made it a serious piece of equipment.

David2011
03-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Can't go wrong with a Delta if you can find one. Mine is over 20 years old and has been used in my home shop. I also have a Taiwanese 12" from the late '70s that is powerful, smooth and quiet. Power tools from Taiwan are far better as a general rule than Chinese.

David

country gent
03-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Several things to look for in a drill press ( not mandatory but a plus) a solid cast iron table with slots for bolting things down, A tilt able table with set pin at flat table, a morse taper in the spindle, A heavy duty motor, and easy speed changes. The cast iron table stays true and resists vibration better than other materials. The slots either thru or T allow for work to be easily clamped down or a stop to keep work from spinning. The tilt able table allows for angled work to be done easier. The zero pin allows returning to flat table easier. The morse tapered spindle allows for easier changes of chucks and tooling.
At work we had a drill press always set up with a tapping head in place. Watch out for plastic stop sets as they spring and give alot. The "new" saftey chuck keys also bother my wrist. I have an old chicago made drill press out in the garage that is very solid all cast iron solid stop set up and true square spindle. If you can find an older used machine you may be ahead of the game.

texassako
03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
I would give this one more thought: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-bench-mount-drill-press-12-speed-60237.html. I waffled between it and the 5 speed and the store offered to sell me it at the price of the 5 speed. It gets decent reviews.

bangerjim
03-15-2014, 10:12 PM
I would give this one more thought: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-bench-mount-drill-press-12-speed-60237.html. I waffled between it and the 5 speed and the store offered to sell me it at the price of the 5 speed. It gets decent reviews.

This is the one I referred to above. I modified the quill surround to eliminate the play/wobble and it works great. Enough power to do pretty everything you would do around a home shop!

bangerjim

tg32-20
03-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Grizzly without a doubt, good product for the money and built overly sturdy. Even though it is made in China it will last the rest of your lifetime.

Tom

Char-Gar
03-16-2014, 11:32 AM
All (as far as I know) machine tools commonly sold in the US are made in either China or Taiwan. These people can make either high quality machine tools or junk with any stop between those two points. The difference is in what the importer chooses to pay and quality they insist upon.

Jet has been holding the Asians feet to the fire over quality for some years now and it is good stuff.

Grizzly which now also owns South Bend in another importer with high standards. The highest quality (and price) machines get the South Bend badge.

There is still a good supply of "old American iron" out there. But time is passing and much of it is now worn smooth out, but good stuff can still be found.

I am not impressed with Harbor Freight quality.

dragon813gt
03-16-2014, 09:23 PM
I bought the 10" one linked above because of the amount of speeds it had. Upon opening the box at home i found it was dented and a good portion of it was rusted. The rust is what threw me becuase most tools bought from HF are soaked in oil. Took it back and got another one. This one was again damged cosmetically but I put it together anyway. It wa a pain to put together. And even when assembled it had to much play and the table would not lock down. Took that one back as well. Then went to Lowe's and bought a Skill w/ fewer speeds for $5 more. It's the same drill press, you can tell by the packaging and parts used. But the overall finish is well above the HF unit, the table locks down and there is very little play in it. So after trying to save $5 I spent a lot more in gas and time to end up w/ the one I looked at first. If I would have had the time, I needed it on the job the follwing day, I would have spent time on Craigslist trying to find an old Delta. I'm back to not buying any more power tools from HF.

jcwit
03-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. If they keep this up we will loose a supplier of tools that they used to provide with maybe not the top class but serviceable.

Beau Cassidy
03-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Lowes and Home Depot don't sell anything but a few small tabletop drill presses now.

dragon813gt
03-16-2014, 10:16 PM
All of the Lowe's by me still have the big drill presses in store. But they usually have the display and one more. I don't think I've ever seen anyone besides a Ryobi at Home Depot. Trying to find any specialty tool at either store is impossible. They're good for general contractors tools and that's it. This is off topic but I find it pathetic that HD no longer carries Rigid pipe wrenches in store by me. They've been replaced by some off brand that look like ones from HF at a higher cost.

I'm not knocking HF in anyway. I rely on tooling, a lot of it, to make a living. I buy cautiously from there knowing full well that there is a reason the cost is as low as it is. $60 for a 3' Aluminum HF pipe wrench vs $180 for a Rigid. I'm going way off topic so I will stop now.