PDA

View Full Version : Plain Base vs Gas Check

JohnH
09-04-2005, 11:04 PM
OK, I cop to it, I'm lazy, I didn't do a search before beginning this. I'm also sure that folks are tired of hearing about my 357, but I did find a good load, in fact I have several. I've concluded that what I'm seeing from the rifle is as good as it is capable of shooting. Currently, I've sped the RCBS 35-200-FN up to about 1400 fps, (was trying for a 1000 fps-ish load, no good there)and it is printing nice 1.5" groups at 50 yards with the same kind of flyer dispersment I have seen all along. I'm today convinced I don't have a load problem, I have a rifle problem.

Now to cut to the chase, I'd like to try this bullet in a plain base version. It would be a simple matter to get a 23/64ths reamer and remove the gas check shank. 20 minutes on a Bridgeport and it's done. Problem is, just because a bullet does well with a check, don't mean it will do ok without it. And I'd hate to ruin my mold to find out. ('course that may be the choice of evils in the end)

I had been shooting the Lyman 195-RN, a plain base design of near equal weight, but not with the groups the RCBS is showing. I just hate paying for the gas checks, it doubles my shooting cost, and at these speeds is it really nessicary? So I'm curious, has anyone out there reamed out the gas check shank with success?

I machined off the gas check shank from a Lee 44-310-RF mold, I was trying for a shorter bullet that would stabilize in a 1:38 barrel, worked well. But in this case I want a plain base of the same bullet.

Perhaps someone is shooting a PB and a GC of the same design, that info would be helpful too.

Maven
09-05-2005, 01:45 PM
John, I have a ~460gr. LBT mold for my .45-70 that was designed to use gas checks. I soon discovered that pushing those CB's at velocities that required gas checks (out of a 7.5lb Marlin) was not something I enjoyed or wished to repeat. I sent the mold back to LBT requesting the gc shank be removed from both cavities, which Veral Smith did with no questions asked. Bottom line: It shoots as well after modification as it did before (2 moa or better if I'm careful) and maintains the accuracy to at least 1,400fps. Beyond that, it is too punishing to shoot from a bench.