PDA

View Full Version : Canada crossing ?

Calamity Jake
03-14-2014, 03:11 PM
For thoes that cross the Canadian border often, do the border guards do a full search of your
car when crossing into Canada? Pass port is in order!!

I'm planning a trip up north this summer and want to visit Canada, I also have my CCP and
plan on having a gun with me, I know it is against the law to cross the border with a gun.
I plan on locking the gun in my trunk for the Canadian visit if they do not do a car search.
If they do I will have to make other plains for my border crossing.

Opinons wanted.

Thanks

Ubet
03-14-2014, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't try doing it.

square butte
03-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Unless you are really bored and like really big trouble - I wouldn't even think about it.

shooter2
03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Not a good idea.

Outer Rondacker
03-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Not the brightest thing one would do in the world.

fishhawk
03-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Don't even think about it!

starmac
03-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Geez, you woll probably have a much longer visit than you intend to. They can take the tires off the rims if they want to, or suspect something, and many times if it is your first visit, they do search your car, luggage, whatever. I wouldn't dream of such a thing.

koehn,jim
03-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Don't do it, you face possible jail time and felony charges. You could also lose your right to have guns.

wch
03-14-2014, 04:18 PM
You already know that you shouldn't try this trick and everyone who has responded has advised against it (including me)- so why even consider the idea?

clintsfolly
03-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Find a local to your crossing gun shop and have them clean your weapon while in Canada! That way it's locked up and clean when you return. This is a legal way for them to hold it and not have to go thru the trouble of paper work to return it.Clint

NSB
03-14-2014, 04:27 PM
You never know if they'll search it or not. If you get caught you will be in Canada for a very, very long time. Also, your trip will run into thousands of dollars of expense you never anticipated. This is actually one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of on here or else you're just trying to stir up a lot of response to your post.

Doc Highwall
03-14-2014, 04:29 PM
I have taken rifles that I declared with a 5744 form at the border but I would not even consider taking a handgun. As others have stated do not even think of it!

dagger dog
03-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I've seen the crossings at Buffalo NY and Windsor Canada single out a vehicle at random and proceed to strip them to the bare metal, and yes that included dismounting the tires along with removing the inner door panels etc.

Taking a handgun into the country it ain't worth it !

xacex
03-14-2014, 04:34 PM
What border crossing were you thinking of using? Just want to know so I can watch for you in the news. :lol:

Pb2au
03-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Trying to cross into Canada to work is bad enough. Canada is very strict on who they let in to work, and specifically the reasons why. It generally takes a sheaf of paperwork to get me in without paying for a work permit. I loathed it when I had to carry my tool box in. Three hours in the immigration at the airport was not uncommon, along with simply getting denied.
Oh, I would NOT recommend getting irritated with customs and saying "I am not here to invade your da#$ country, I just want to go do my job and leave as soon as possible!"
That got interesting very quickly.

Bad Water Bill
03-14-2014, 04:42 PM
A special recording by Slim Whitman will be played in your memory if you try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_sYjjw4bM

Only for those of us old enough to remember.[smilie=1:

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-14-2014, 04:51 PM
don't do it , like they said get your gun cleaned or a safe deposit box in a bank in the border town

Canadian boarder guards seem like really nice guys , but if they even suspect you have a gun , it won't be a good day

to many states are sharing thier databases with other states I heard of a case in Maryland where a guy from Florida was driving through , he had a legal FL carry permit / license the cop saw an out of state plate , ran it it came back with the CCL/CCP info and for more than 2 hours he was detained and questioned repeatedly about guns , turns out his gun is in the safe in his house in Florida he has done nothing wrong

oh did i mention DHS is sharing with Canadian border , yup lots of guys who had a DUI 20+ years ago get to the border to find they can't cross they would be a felon in Canada , this happens enough that there are lawyers who you can get to make sure it is ok for you to book and go on a Canadian fishing trip , they advertize in the magazine with all the fishing places in it my dad gets , if they per-arange "supervision" basically an additional fee to enter the country you can go

but this had been a non issue before 9/11 but after when DHS started sharing the US criminal database with them

thxmrgarand
03-14-2014, 05:10 PM
I especially like Slim Whitman. Thanks. It was great.

My wife and I have been pulled over at Canuck border crossings because of an NRA sticker on our truck bumper. They asked how many guns we have at home! I suspect the border guards now have access to all sorts of state CCW permit data bases. Who knows what else they scan?

On the plus side (in my view) they now scan records for past-due child support, DWI convictions and the like, and those people are not allowed into Canada.

I find the Canuck border guard questions especially disturbing on Alaska borders because the US taxpayer pays for all the road maintenance on the Canadian portion of the Alaska Highway. It amounts to full employment every summer for Yukon seasonal workers. During an extended delay at an Alaska Highway highway construction site in the Yukon Territory while blasting was going on a couple First Nations highway flaggers told me that because US Davis Bacon wage rates have to be paid they were being paid $72 Canadian per hour. They said cat skinners were making over $100 Canadian.

I would not smuggle anything into Canada. If Canadians want to investigate possible implementation of democracy I will applaud their courage. If it can happen in the Ukraine....

tommag
03-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Long arms used to be ok, but a few years back that changed. Last time I went toCanada, I was informed that I would have to have: a letter from a sponsoring gun club stating I was entered in a formal competition. A letter from an outfitter and a hunting licence,.
I've never been back.
As far as sidearms, I've never tried. I once crossed with a butt stock of a 1927a1 in the cab. The search was incredible, took more than 3 hours. With the internet, I wouldn't even try it with a sanitized vehicle, I think having a ccw permit would mark me as some sort of bad guy.

LeftyDon
03-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Take a name/phone # of a good Canadian lawyer with you and we'll see you in 10-20 years. OBTW, never get into a Canadian customs lane that has a female agent - that doubles the chance that you'll see what's inside your car doors.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-14-2014, 05:26 PM
On my last trip to the range I met a man who had arrived on a beautiful blue Harley-Davidson motor cycle which he was planning to take to Alaska. To do this he would need to ride through Canada. Since he planned on going to some remote areas he thought it would be a good idea to take a large handgun in case he encountered bears. Without checking with the Canadian govt. if he could pass thru there country with the pistol, he goes out and buys the largest double action revolver I have ever seen. It was a S&W .500 wham bam wrist breaker or some such. He did check with Canada before setting off on his journey. Of course Canada's response was. "NO WAY JOSE". Since he had bought the pistol, at a cost of over 13 hundred bucks he was going to shoot it even if he couldn't take it with him to Alaska so he brought it to the range to give it a try. He had bought one 20 round box of ammo and the price was about two bucks per round as I recall. After much hesitation he finally worked up the courage to pull the trigger. Even though the gun was magna ported the recoil was nothing less than awesome. I declined his offer to let me fire the piece but the range master fired it once, he was a retired master sergeant who had spent years as a weapons instructor. The man knew nothing about reloading he gave me 13 pieces of once fired brass. Brass I have no plans to reload. In short, don't try to go to Canada or Mexico with any kind of pistol. I know that with proper permits you can hunt in those two countries with a rifle or shot gun. I wouldn't even do that if the hunt was free.

FISH4BUGS
03-14-2014, 05:44 PM
I once drove into Canada a number of years ago (I took the high speed cat out of Rochester, NY to Toronto) just as they started requiring passports and of course, I forgot mine. When I rolled off the Cat and going through customs, and while asking me why I didn't have my passport (it was like a week after the deadline) they saw 2 ammo cans in the trunk that contained tools. That's all they needed. I was held up for an hour while they went through my car with a fine tooth comb. I finally convinced them that I was not a terrorist and I had no guns or ammunition with me. The DID find maybe 4 or 5 fired 22 and 38 cases that had fallen into the trunk. That got them really going.
With all due respect sir, if you proceed with your idea, you deserve every year you will get in prison if caught. They take a very dim view of illegal handgun ownership in Canada....something we here in the US should take note of.

dragon813gt
03-14-2014, 06:01 PM
I will be the voice of reason in this discussion. Just lock it on your trunk and you will have no problems. People here get worked up over the silliest things.

Rick Hodges
03-14-2014, 06:07 PM
We used to hunt ducks in Mitchell's Bay Ontario (East side of Lake St. Clair) We rented a cabin for the season and drove back and forth with no problems...we declared our shotguns and ammo...had them recorded with US Customs (Proof you didn't buy them in Canada an thus owe tariffs) . This was before the silly Canadian $50 import permits or...hunter repellant law. I still drive through Ontario to go to upstate NY to visit relatives. I don't carry firearms. My experience has been that US Customs will give you a much harder time getting back into the country than the Canadians do.
Just so you know...there is no such thing as an "unreasonable search" at a border crossing...no constitutional right at all. The gov't has every right to protect its borders and you are at the mercy of the border guards...(so sayeth the Supreme Court...and it has been consistent in this ruling for about 200 years)

Canada has had trouble with biker gangs...it was rumored that, at the Detroit crossings, a motorcycle rider wearing colors...was going to have his bike disassembled the seat cut open and then told he had 1/2 hour to get the mess out of their crossing. You have no recourse...their country their rules. That rumor was a true story at least once... ;-) they made their point.

Trying to smuggle a gun into there is beyond foolish and you deserve everything you get if you try.

blackthorn
03-14-2014, 06:09 PM
I will be the voice of reason in this discussion. Just lock it on your trunk and you will have no problems. People here get worked up over the silliest things.

The above is about the absolute WORST piece of advice I have seen on this forum to date! The laws regarding handguns in this country are the stupidest you could imagine BUT the other posters who counselled against trying to bring a handgun across the line are spot on! Don't do it!

crazy mark
03-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Crossed the border one time and forgot about an empty 32 cal pistol mag in my car. 3 hrs they finally let me go on my way. They took the back seat and door panels out. Looked all over under the dash etc... Pulled the top off the air cleaner also. I just stood there answering questions and trying to keep my temper to myself.

fatnhappy
03-14-2014, 06:14 PM
The above is about the absolute WORST piece of advice I have seen on this forum to date! The laws regarding handguns in this country are the stupidest you could imagine BUT the other posters who counselled against trying to bring a handgun across the line are spot on! Don't do it!
does it require explanation?

sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun

noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"

synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More

Opinons wanted.

Better pack a pair of assless chaps. You'll need them.

bear67
03-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Last year we crossed into Canada several times and traveled several days inside Canada.
When we crossed from Idaho (small crossing, no town, just one border guard and he was bored) the guard did not believe that we did not have guns. One Oklahoma and one Texas couple in the Texas registered truck and his comment was why don't you have one. My reply was because Canada's nutty laws didn't allow me to have one. He did not want to search, just to talk to someone, I guess. He did suggest a couple of places to visit and he was dead on, especially one local brewery.

My son, a certified Texas Peace Officer, was crossing on the train from Alaska last summer with his fifteen year old daughter and they found a .223 round in his backpack. He has a response pack with hydration bladder in it and for the Alaskan trip, he had removed the contents and liner and used it as a day pack. He said it was not a big deal with his LE ID and badge, but had to fill out several pages of paperwork and of course give up the one round of live ammo. His daughter just said, "Daddy embarrassed the fire out of me."

BruceB
03-14-2014, 06:20 PM

That is one of the WORST pieces of advice I have seen in the entire history of this website.

"Lock it in your trunk", and you will have EXACTLY the outcome forecast in the previous posts.

Several of us from this Board have crossed the border with rifles a number of times from '05 to '11, and are going North again this year. We've seen the border authorities at work.

CANADIAN AUTHORITIES DO, AND WILL, search your vehicle, and make no mistake about it!

A Sheriff's deputy I know arrived at the border with his wife in their motor home. He made the mistake of using his LEO identification, and they asked, "Where's your gun?" The reply was "At home."

They proceeded to disassemble the motor home, looking for the gun that was "at home".

No gun was found, but he was left with an incredible mess that he had to put back together. They then turned around and have never darkened the Canadian border again.

The border people aren't rubes, they aren't stupid, and they DO have very serious penalties for gun infractions. They also DO have an institutional hatred and fear of handguns in private hands.

This is serious business. BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!

waksupi
03-14-2014, 06:33 PM
I have a license to take handguns into Canada, but it is such a pain in the butt, I don't do it. If I want to shoot competition up there, it is easy to borrow one.
the suggestion to use a bank safe deposit box is good, or go to a pawn shop in a border town, and pawn it. It will be stored securely for a minimal charge, less than a safe deposit box. I have a friend that pawn his high end guns before going south in the winter, for the extra security. He just arranges with the pawn guys to hold them until he returns.
Try to sneak one in, and you can bet it will be the time you are completely searched from valve stem to hemorrhoid.

starmac
03-14-2014, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=bear67;2685053]Last year we crossed into Canada several times and traveled several days inside Canada.
When we crossed from Idaho (small crossing, no town, just one border guard and he was bored) the guard did not believe that we did not have guns. One Oklahoma and one Texas couple in the Texas registered truck and his comment was why don't you have one. My reply was because Canada's nutty laws didn't allow me to have one. He did not want to search, just to talk to someone, I guess. He did suggest a couple of places to visit and he was dead on, especially one local brewery.

Curious, where was he crossing out of Alaska on a train? Giving up the one round and a lot pf paper work is strange, as you can cross with something like 5 thousand rounds with no problem. I don't know the total amount, but I have told them I had ammo several times, and they usually come back with something like, you don't have over 10 thousand rounds do you. They have never ask to look at it though.
My daughter was in the process of getting her permit for her rifles and shotguns once, and I made the mistake (joke) of asking what I had to do to bring my 44 across. lol It seemed like every minute or two, he would look up and ask where my pistol was, until he was through with the paperwork. lol

My son, a certified Texas Peace Officer, was crossing on the train from Alaska last summer with his fifteen year old daughter and they found a .223 round in his backpack. He has a response pack with hydration bladder in it and for the Alaskan trip, he had removed the contents and liner and used it as a day pack. He said it was not a big deal with his LE ID and badge, but had to fill out several pages of paperwork and of course give up the one round of live ammo. His daughter just said, "Daddy embarrassed the fire of me.

square butte
03-14-2014, 07:48 PM
I think you will find that if you read the safe deposit agreement you would have to sign - You will discover that it is not an option to legally keep a handgun in a said safe deposit box. You have to agree that you will not keep anything "inherently dangerous" in the box. I remember going through a bit of a shuffle when the safe deposit box rules changed back in the early 90's at not to be named bank in Missoula.

Red River Rick
03-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Truly out of the question!

Anyone giving such advice must think they are above the law! Try it and see what happens..........good LUCK.

A link to your comment should be passed on to US Homeland Security and Canadian Border Services.....................

RRR

jcwit
03-14-2014, 08:32 PM
On my last trip to the range I met a man who had arrived on a beautiful blue Harley-Davidson motor cycle which he was planning to take to Alaska. To do this he would need to ride through Canada. Since he planned on going to some remote areas he thought it would be a good idea to take a large handgun in case he encountered bears. Without checking with the Canadian govt. if he could pass thru there country with the pistol, he goes out and buys the largest double action revolver I have ever seen. It was a S&W .500 wham bam wrist breaker or some such. He did check with Canada before setting off on his journey. Of course Canada's response was. "NO WAY JOSE". Since he had bought the pistol, at a cost of over 13 hundred bucks he was going to shoot it even if he couldn't take it with him to Alaska so he brought it to the range to give it a try. He had bought one 20 round box of ammo and the price was about two bucks per round as I recall. After much hesitation he finally worked up the courage to pull the trigger. Even though the gun was magna ported the recoil was nothing less than awesome. I declined his offer to let me fire the piece but the range master fired it once, he was a retired master sergeant who had spent years as a weapons instructor. The man knew nothing about reloading he gave me 13 pieces of once fired brass. Brass I have no plans to reload. In short, don't try to go to Canada or Mexico with any kind of pistol. I know that with proper permits you can hunt in those two countries with a rifle or shot gun. I wouldn't even do that if the hunt was free.

Sorry bout the off topic reply here. I'm, a 5'4" 130 lb guy at the time I shot a S & W 500 with factory rounds a number of times, while the recoil was more than any handgun I happen to own it was nowhere near a wrist breaking recoil or even a numbing recoil and it took no "courage" on my part to fire it for a few cylinders full. Maybe I'm just one tough little guy, but don't think so.

Now as far as trying to sneek into Canada with any firearm, let alone a handgun is foolish IMO.

Calamity Jake
03-14-2014, 08:39 PM
I don't plan on going to jail so I'm going to leave the gun at home along with my CCW permit.

Thanks for the replies.

dragon813gt
03-14-2014, 08:54 PM
does it require explanation?

sar·casm
/ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun

noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"

synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More

Better pack a pair of assless chaps. You'll need them.

I figured it was abundantly clear in my post. To begin w/ the OP's question is ridiculous. Instead of asking an Internet forum he should be contacting the proper authorities in Canada. You don't ask legal advice on the internet.

uscra112
03-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Back when I was working in the auto biz, I would sometimes be crossing over and back daily for months at a time. Despite being a Project Manager who did no actual work, the company suits got me a work permit. All that time I was never searched. They knew who I was before I even got to speak, by reading my license plate. After a short while I had my bona fides, and they never asked more than where I was going, (as of they didn't know), and did I have anything to declare, which was always no. Frankly, I could have been smuggling suitcases of stuff and they'd never have caught me.

BUT, if you are not a "regular", they will look hard for little giveaways like eye contact, car contents not matching stated intentions, etc., and will go from there.

BTW they don't "take a car at random". They are profiling. At the Windsor Bridge from Detroit they'd have agents walk up and down the lines of waiting cars, looking to see who acted nervous, or so the old timers said. Both ways. If an agent didn't like what he saw, that car got the third degree at the kiosk, and if that didn't satisfy them, they'd take it apart. It never happened to me, in hundreds of times back and forth.

Boogieman
03-14-2014, 09:35 PM
IF we quit going to Canada to hunt & fish for a few years things might change.

Superfly
03-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Depending on where you are crossing you maybe able to just leave it at Members house Like mine. Again depending on where you are crossing at, Just saying

starmac
03-15-2014, 12:09 AM
IF we quit going to Canada to hunt & fish for a few years things might change.

Why would it change?? You are visiting a foreign country and subject to their laws. It is the same for a canadian to go through customs to visit this country, except they have 50 different sets of laws to adhere to, depending on where they are going. I have been crossing the border for years, and have always been treated much better at canadian customs than my own countries. I have talked to many canadians, that say the same thing. our customs treats them better than their own, go figure. lol

Duckiller
03-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Hunting and fishing may be better. Not as much trash along the roads. Lots of good things happen when fewer people visit an ares or country.

NSB
03-15-2014, 12:27 AM
The only time I had any trouble at the border was getting back into the U.S. I got stopped coming back from a business trip in Detroit and reentering at Buffalo, NY. The U.S. border guard asked all the usual questions and then told me to roll up my sleeves. He said they were looking for someone with my name and that person was some kind of skinhead with tattoos all over his arms and was in his 30's. I guess I must have been a dead ringer for that person. I was 59 with no tattoos and my ID showed I lived within 15 miles of the border. The fugitive was from Georgia which was about 800 miles away. I had to pull over into a special area and taken inside. They tore my car apart and kept me for about an hour. During that time I noticed one of the custom agents peeking around a corner at me. I recognized him as someone who worked at an auto plant I used to work at. That was four years earlier. I was a manager there and he was an hourly worker who was the union president. Needless to say, we bumped heads a couple of times in the past. The plant moved to Mexico and we both got new jobs. He became a border agent and I got a job at another automotive plant. I asked the agent who was "guarding" me if the agent peeking around the corner was Tony xxxxx and he got a surprised look on his face. He said "yes it is, do you know him"? I told him I did and that I suspected I got stopped and my car searched because he recognized me. I told him of our working relationship in the past. He took off and was gone for a few minutes and then came back and said I was free to go immediately, and hoped I wasn't inconvienenced too much. I don't think they wanted me complaining to any news media that I was being harassed by one of their employees for any perceived differences in the past. I considered doing just that but let it go. Hey, you never know who you're going to bump into and under what circumstances. I hope I get to repay the favor some day.

silverado
03-16-2014, 08:10 PM
(Only for people who enjoy forced vacations from sunlight) As long as you claim it at the border by waving it in the air and screaming loudly you should be fine. Don't listen to the naysayers, bunch if anti gun libs

silverado
03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
(Only for people who enjoyed spending their time surrounded by concrete) If anyone gives you problems puff up your chest so you look bigger, remember.... you have a gun

trooperdan
03-16-2014, 09:43 PM
If anyone gives you problems puff up your chest so you look bigger, remember.... you have a gun
This is the third time such a sarcastic comment has been posted. It is totally inappropriate as was mentioned several times before. Sarcasm does not work well on forum without the usual voice tone and body language. DO NOT use sarcasm on such a serious matter!

silverado
03-16-2014, 09:45 PM
This is the third time such a sarcastic comment has been posted. It is totally inappropriate as was mentioned several times before. Sarcasm does not work well on forum without the usual voice tone and body language. DO NOT use sarcasm on such a serious matter!

Fixed

starmac
03-16-2014, 10:08 PM
At the border they will always ask you if you have any firearms, even if you have a pistol and you tell them about it, you are not in trouble, you just can't enter with it. If you tell them no and they find it, you get to enter even though you don't want to. lol

Gun-adian
03-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Seriously???? Is this a legit question???

As stupid as our gun laws are, I'd be willing to bet what will happen to you if you pulled this would be about the same as what would happen to me if I tried it going into the States!!!! As much as I enjoy visiting the US, I really don't want to stay THAT long......

For thoes that cross the Canadian border often, do the border guards do a full search of your
car when crossing into Canada? Pass port is in order!!

I'm planning a trip up north this summer and want to visit Canada, I also have my CCP and
plan on having a gun with me, I know it is against the law to cross the border with a gun.
I plan on locking the gun in my trunk for the Canadian visit if they do not do a car search.
If they do I will have to make other plains for my border crossing.

Opinons wanted.

Thanks

kenyerian
03-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Only thing I have to add is when they are done searching they don't repack it for you and they make a big mess out of everything.

Malamute
03-17-2014, 12:41 AM
I've crossed with guns several times before 9-11, it wasn't a big deal. I think it partly depends on where you cross. In the east, its not as gun friendly as the west of both countries. The same basic rules apply now as before 9-11 from what I understand, you CAN take guns in for protection from wild animals (protection from people is NOT an acceptable reason), and you can transport guns through Canada to go to Alaska. It takes more paperwork now, but it isnt that difficult to do.

Back to the original question, IF they find an undeclared handgun in your vehicle, you MAY not get thrown in the clink for several years, but they can confiscate your vehicle and everything in it, and send you walking back across the border with only the clothes on your back after a very unpleasant legal rodeo.

DRNurse1
03-17-2014, 01:50 AM
This is a fascinating thread, and IMO the OP asked a good question to the wrong bunch of folks (an attorney would have been a better choice). The considerate folks here did reply seriously to this OP and even ribbed the sarcastic guy (forgot the purple font). BTW, what is in Canada, besides Canadians and shale oil, that we do not have down here in abundance?

waksupi
03-17-2014, 01:57 AM
This is a fascinating thread, and IMO the OP asked a good question to the wrong bunch of folks (an attorney would have been a better choice). The considerate folks here did reply seriously to this OP and even ribbed the sarcastic guy (forgot the purple font). BTW, what is in Canada, besides Canadians and shale oil, that we do not have down here in abundance?

You have obviously never been in western Canada!

starmac
03-17-2014, 02:33 AM

I'll second that.

ohland
03-17-2014, 08:42 AM
The US has rules against the european chocolates with little figurines in them. Choking hazard for little children. They will confiscate them, and probably eat them when you drive off (dunno, but if they are good chocolate, wouldn't you?).

:coffeecom

searcher4851
03-17-2014, 10:04 AM

I'll third that.

Malamute
03-17-2014, 12:28 PM

I'll fourth it!

As spectacular as Glacier Park is, Jasper and Banff are on an even greater scale as to vastness and scenery. Then we get to truly vast areas of wild country, and there are some epic road trips, like the Alaska Hwy (pretty tame today), the Cassiar Hwy, the road to Inuvik, the Top of the World road, the Canadian coast. All have no comparative example in the lower 48. Having driven to Alaska several times, I felt the drive through Canada was easily half the fun of going.

Boogieman
03-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Why would it change?? You are visiting a foreign country and subject to their laws. It is the same for a canadian to go through customs to visit this country, except they have 50 different sets of laws to adhere to, depending on where they are going. I have been crossing the border for years, and have always been treated much better at canadian customs than my own countries. I have talked to many canadians, that say the same thing. our customs treats them better than their own, go figure. lol
It's called Cash

silverado
03-17-2014, 03:16 PM
It's called Cash

Funny story that is how I made it onto a military base in Malaysia one time...

starmac
03-17-2014, 03:53 PM
It's called Cash

As far as I know canadas gun laws are pretty much the same across the whole country, way easier to keep up with than 50 different ones as far as traveling with firearms goes. Then you have the antigun cities here to try and stay legal in. Me thinks when we get the legalities straightened out in our free country that has a constitution guaranteeing our gun rights, then maybe we could at least justify complaining about another countrys laws. The canadian govt. doesn't want to let us carry a pistol across the border, the U.S. govt doesn't want us to carry or send scopes, sights, brass, etc to Canada, who's laws are more screwed up?