PDA

View Full Version : HANDLOADER April 2014 PDF sampler

detox
03-13-2014, 09:15 PM
I need to subscibe to Handloader. Here is their new issue sample.
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl289partial.pdf

waco
03-13-2014, 09:29 PM
I always enjoyed the Handloader rag. Good stuff.

rmark
03-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Canadian Ross straight pull rifle at the top.

Del-Ray
03-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Whoops. I filled out the sub card in the last issue, but never mailed it....

I guess it's time for a trip to meijers in the morning.

Scharfschuetze
03-13-2014, 10:41 PM
I've read the "Handloader" on and off for quite a while, at least since the early 80s. While I prefer reading a real paper book or magazine, I recently subscribed to it on line and now get it and the "Rifle" magazine monthly (each alternates every other month) in a PDF format. I guess I'm adapting to reading them on the computer now as it isn't quite the chore it originally was. The on-line subscription saves quite a bit over the normal subscription or buying them at the store.

Trinidad Bill
03-14-2014, 08:29 AM
I need to subscibe to Handloader. Here is their new issue sample.
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl289partial.pdf

That was a really good article. I may have to subscribe.

jonp
03-14-2014, 09:41 AM
I've read the "Handloader" off for quite a while, at least since the early 80s. While I prefer reading a real paper book or magazine, I recently subscribed to it on line and now get it and the "Rifle" magazine monthly (each alternates every other month) in a PDF format. I guess I'm adapting to reading them on the computer now as it isn't quite the chore it originally was. The on-line subscription saves quite a bit over the normal subscription or buying them at the store.
I've found that I can't stand reading a magazine online with the computer or a pad. I never open my NRA mags anymore.
Handloader is really interesting. I may have to subscribe to it

GRid.1569
03-14-2014, 09:46 AM
I get the online deal... 3 mags (6 issues each a year) for $20.00

Titles I can't get here in the UK - Handloader, Rifle & Sucessful Hunter

Only thing I'm not impressed with is the way they assume you want to renew and charge without much notice

robg
03-14-2014, 11:41 AM
been getting handloader& rifle mags for about 12years since my brother in law brought a copy back from usa . best mags imho

Echo
03-14-2014, 12:45 PM
I need only issue #4 to have a complete set from #1 up into the 100's - I dropped my subscription when I was out of shooting for a while, but have re-subscribed, including 'Rifle'.

Char-Gar
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Groundbreaking stuff in that issue, a fellow discovered a Marlin MG barrel can shoot cast bullets above the 1,600 fps asserted limit. That will change everything we know on the subject. That tidbit alone is well worth what you have to pay for that level of knowledge and expertise.

Of course you will need a gas check and harder alloy to do it.

Hardcast416taylor
03-14-2014, 12:59 PM
I get 3 magazines, Handloader, Rifle and American Rifleman - all other gun mag. rags are comic books. The pronghorn antelope on the index page looks like my last one I harvested just before my 7mm Rem Mag broke his neck at 310 yds.Robert

44man
03-14-2014, 02:32 PM
I get Rifleman because I will will never give up freedoms but the others are junk today.

Hickok
03-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Handloader and Rifle are two of my favorites. About the only mags worth reading anymore. Precicsion Shooting is also good.

Frank46
03-14-2014, 11:51 PM
Precision Shooting folded about a year or so ago. Sad to say that but they were the best around. Frank

alamogunr
03-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Amen! That and The Accurate Rifle by the same publisher which closed up shop several years ago were the most interesting around. I couldn't begin to keep up with the equipment and the shooting those fellows could do but I sure did enjoy reading about them. I wish I had known about them much sooner. I still go back and pull out the old issues.

cbrick
03-15-2014, 08:23 AM
I need only issue #4 to have a complete set from #1 up into the 100's

I have every issue published from #1 thru current. I have the paper magazine set complete thru the late 90's and every issue from #1 thru Dec 2013 on DVD. I have duplicates of some of the paper books and I will look to see if I have a duplicate of #4. If I do it's yours for the asking.

Rick

jonp
03-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Groundbreaking stuff in that issue, a fellow discovered a Marlin MG barrel can shoot cast bullets above the 1,600 fps asserted limit. That will change everything we know on the subject. That tidbit alone is well worth what you have to pay for that level of knowledge and expertise.

That's what I thot! Oh, wait a sec, are you using purple font?

cbrick
03-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Considering Mr. Haviland seems to have discovered something brand new in his article I think it's safe to say he doesn't read this forum. The article also points out one of the silly old wives tales that Lyman continues to perpetuate.

Rick

youngda9
03-15-2014, 09:00 AM
I wish they would've shared the Whelen article instead...

alamogunr
03-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Considering Mr. Haviland seems to have discovered something brand new in his article I think it's safe to say he doesn't read this forum. The article also points out one of the silly old wives tales that Lyman continues to perpetuate.

Rick

If the article has a redeeming value, maybe it will dispel some of the misinformation that such writers originated.

Dale53
03-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Gentlemen;
Methinks maybe, just maybe, we are being too hard on the writers in Handloader on occasion. There is a new crop of shooters and reloaders born everyday. The gun writers have to address that. That is what the article on micro groove rifling reloading of cast bullets is about. Unfortunately, everyone doesn't read this web site. Further, you need a "filter" to get maximum information on every web site. It takes experience to be able to recognize good information on the web and stay away from the uninformed. The newbie doesn't have that "filter".

I watch several forums a day - mostly gun forums but also my favorite grilling and smoking forum (http://tvwbb.com/forum.php) and you wouldn't BELIEVE the poppycock that is given out as "authoritative" information. I'm talking about VERY popular web sites. Most people seem to be much more interested in a pretty pair of grips on a revolver than they are about shooting. Go to your local range everyday and it is almost laughable what you see.

During decent weather, I shoot two or three times a week. I try to help anyone who sincerely wants it. I recently taught a couple of fellows how to load (and one to cast bullets). They are both serious about doing it right and have an excellent attitude. Both are retired. I don't see much of this in a good number of young people. On the other hand, our junior shooting program is turning out some REALLY good shooters. "Fairly warms the cockles of my heart, it does".

At any rate, I am a fan of Handloader and if I hunted any more or still competed with rifles, the Rifle would interest me (after losing the sight in my right eye, I had to quit shooting long guns). I subscribe online.

At any rate, please cut Handloader writers a bit of slack. When Wolfe publishing closes their doors, WE will be the loser. It appears that all books and magazines are having perilous times in these changing situations. Books a Million are closing their book store locally and Borders has been gone for several years. This is a sad state of affairs, but it IS happening. That's OK, tho', we have TV for the masses and we all know how educating THAT is (NOT!!!)...

FWIW
Dale53

HeavyMetal
03-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Skimed the article, I figure to pick up the issue in a day or so, I think that had they bothered to fit the seater punch to the nose of the boolit, or maybe the sizer punch (who knows) they may have gotten all four rounds in the same group!

Take a look at the pic's, if my rounds came out of the sizer or seater die looking like that the Dremal would get a quick call to fix the problem and fast!

Over all it looked like decent info I'll hold off until I see it on paper, I too hate reading off mags. off computer screens.

osteodoc08
03-15-2014, 02:42 PM

Where's the purple???? LOL. I've been shooting AC COWW out of my MG barrels for years with satisfactory accuracy.

Ah, MG, where was that thread that had all those acronyms......