PDA

View Full Version : Bill Garnier passed

captaint
03-13-2014, 06:40 AM
Bill Garnier, one of the real Band of Brothers passed away testerday. I think they were members of the 503d PIR of the 101 Airborne. Now, these guys were the real thing. I met Bill at a gun show last year in Allentown. Shook his hand and thanked him. Not a lot of members of that group left anymore. He will be missed. One of the real American Heroes. Mike

DCP
03-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Read all he had done.

You see, What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal Albert Pike

Boz330
03-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Bill Garnier, one of the real Band of Brothers passed away testerday. I think they were members of the 503d PIR of the 101 Airborne. Now, these guys were the real thing. I met Bill at a gun show last year in Allentown. Shook his hand and thanked him. Not a lot of members of that group left anymore. He will be missed. One of the real American Heroes. Mike

He was in the 506th PIR.
A friend, now gone, was in Easy Co. 506th with these guys but broke an ankle right before they shipped out for England and went with the 507th. He was really interesting to talk to after the Band of Brothers came out, since he knew all of those guys and still maintained contact with many of them. He made 2 combat jumps in Europe.

Bob

Charlie Two Tracks
03-13-2014, 11:56 AM
It is sad to see him go. I can't even imagine what that was like. I bet the majority of WWII guys had never been out of their home state before going over. I owe a debt that can't be repaid.

w5pv
03-13-2014, 12:36 PM
May Bill Garnier rest in peace.He and others are true heroes. I am a Amatuer Radio operator that has the priviledge of talking to a WWII Vet that was in the 101st,great guy.He was involved in seeing that prisoners got to the Nuenburg Trials but was involed in combat got wounded on D-day and got patched up and spent the rest of the war in combat.We are on 3953 in the mornings his name is Norm-K5YLO if any of you are ham radio operators come join use.Norm comes on about 6am central time.

willie_pete
03-13-2014, 12:39 PM
The greatest generation.

Iowa Fox
03-13-2014, 06:26 PM
RIP Bill, my hat is off to you.

The 503rd was my outfit. The nickel 0 Nasty as some guys called it.

MtGun44
03-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Easy Company is nearly all in the graveyards now, sad to say.

Bill

bearcove
03-13-2014, 09:06 PM
I have 5 great uncles who did WW2, They never said a word about it. My dads uncle Rich was given a bronze star unit medal a few years ago for landing in Normandy. First I'd heard of it and MY dad is the family tree guy/historian. My dad did Nam as a Huey pilot 2 DFCs. Gave me a book written by someone he knew there said "This is pretty close if the grandsons want to read about it."

Those guys back then did what they needed to do and moved on. Wish more folks were like that now.

Bad Water Bill
03-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Sadly I have known HUNDREDS of those brave souls that served during WW 2.

All of them are now gone but I could never dare ask them about their experiences there.

I was told that they just wanted to forget those experiences.

From the chaplain that had 3 ships sunk under him to 2 others that bailed out over Europe and my list could go on for a long time remembering everyone from my own squadron that was there even our skipper with 3 confirmed kills.

May each and every one of them rest in peace for they sure have paid a great price.

dragonrider
03-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Had an uncle, been gone for some years now. Was part of the Battle of the Bulge and some other nasty stuff. You could ask him about his experiences in the war, but only once, you wouldn't dare ask him again. And He didn't tell you anyway. Other uncle invaded Italy, he'd talk a little, not much. Didn't think talkin about it was a good thing. I don't know their unit numbers, whish I did. Both of them are long dead now. Thank you Leon and Raymond.

bayjoe
03-13-2014, 11:17 PM
May he rest in peace.
He will be missed

captaint
03-14-2014, 10:11 AM
And talk about sacrifice, I should have mentioned Mr. Garnier lost a leg at Bastogne, if I'm not mistaken. Sacrifice indeed. What a group of guys.. Mike

MtGun44
03-15-2014, 02:35 AM
I have walked the forest where Mr. Guarnere lost his leg. The foxholes and CP are
still visible in Boise Jacques overlooking Foy.

Bill

Boz330
03-15-2014, 11:09 AM
If you have never watched it, the series Band of Brothers is a must. I have watched it several times.

Bob

captaint
03-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Now I feel silly. Turns out Mr. Guarnere spelled his name GUARNERE. Not Garnier. Terrific American. He deserves better than that. My bad.