PDA

View Full Version : any good alternatives to the Lee 358-158-RF mold?

Captain_Howdy
03-13-2014, 12:16 AM
any good alternatives to the Lee 358-158-RF mold?

That is my question. I love the way the bullet shoots I just cant stand the Lee aluminum mold. I like the shape of the bullet and actually the beveled base is kinda nice too. I have gotten used to the Lyman and RCBS iron molds and the Mihec brass molds. So to me the Lee molds are a pain...not to mention other things.

I have seen Lyman and RCBS both have very similar designs. The bullets look very much alike with exception being the base and possibly the lube groove. I hate the shallow groove on the Lee bullet.

Can anyone make any recommendations on personal experience?

Thank you.

I do have the Lyman 170 gr Keith type mold. I love this bullet and my mold is sweet...but some situations are better suited for the bullet mentioned above.

jmort
03-13-2014, 12:53 AM
Accurate Molds

Wally
03-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Captain Howdy

I had to ask...what don't you like about the Lee mold? I have the one mentioned, and it functions just fine. I have Lyman, Saeco, & RCBS molds and I have no problem with the Lee mold. I used to feel that the lube grooves in the Lee molds were too shallow, but they don't lead up my guns when I shoot them and so it would seem that they are adequate. For those that use store bought bullet lube, your lube goes a heck of a lot farther than with other makes.

any good alternatives to the Lee 358-158-RF mold?

That is my question. I love the way the bullet shoots I just cant stand the Lee aluminum mold. I like the shape of the bullet and actually the beveled base is kinda nice too. I have gotten used to the Lyman and RCBS iron molds and the Mihec brass molds. So to me the Lee molds are a pain...not to mention other things.

I have seen Lyman and RCBS both have very similar designs. The bullets look very much alike with exception being the base and possibly the lube groove. I hate the shallow groove on the Lee bullet.

Can anyone make any recommendations on personal experience?

Thank you.

I do have the Lyman 170 gr Keith type mold. I love this bullet and my mold is sweet...but some situations are better suited for the bullet mentioned above.

Djones
03-13-2014, 07:15 AM
NOE 160 grain WFN is similar bullet to the lee. NOE molds are extremely well made.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=145

I have the 180 WFN and it shoots great out if my 1894c

captaint
03-13-2014, 07:16 AM
I have that same Lee 358-158 myself. I'm not letting mine go anywhere. The boolits are the correct diameter, round, and they don't lead up the barrels. Not to mention they shoot really well.
Mike

Wally
03-13-2014, 07:19 AM
Same here... I find it more comfortable to cast we Lee DC molds as well...especially when doing a large batch. The lighter weight, IMHO, does make a difference.

I have that same Lee 358-158 myself. I'm not letting mine go anywhere. The boolits are the correct diameter, round, and they don't lead up the barrels. Not to mention they shoot really well.
Mike

youngda9
03-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Love my 6 banger. For 357 they are perfect. It's cheap and really cranks em out. I use Accurate for all my other purchases.

'74 sharps
03-13-2014, 07:29 AM
The Lyman 358665 4 cavity mold produces fine bullets for my 38's & 357's.......

geargnasher
03-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Accurate Molds

Enough said.

Gear

waco
03-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Lyman 358665 is what you want. Mine is a four banger.

Beagle333
03-13-2014, 11:00 PM
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/DSC03513_zps5812a9af.jpg

Captain_Howdy
03-14-2014, 12:40 AM
ok...I now know what I am going to do...thank you all for your suggestions!

Captain_Howdy
03-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Captain Howdy

I had to ask...what don't you like about the Lee mold? I have the one mentioned, and it functions just fine. I have Lyman, Saeco, & RCBS molds and I have no problem with the Lee mold. I used to feel that the lube grooves in the Lee molds were too shallow, but they don't lead up my guns when I shoot them and so it would seem that they are adequate. For those that use store bought bullet lube, your lube goes a heck of a lot farther than with other makes.

the intent of my thread was to ask for alternate suggestions not start a conversation of why I dislike my Lee mold's' and become a victim of the Lee fanboys. As I said I liked the basic bullet design...not so much the lube groove though.

For all the people that love their Lee molds...hey man I'm with that. If you guys are happy with yours that great. I have 3 of them and after getting into iron and brass molds I certainly will not buy another aluminum mold UNLESS I buy one as a cheap test bed for a bullet design I am unsure about whether I want to invest into a more expensive mold.

I could write down every single dislike and fault I have with each of my molds and someone will come along and tell me how to change it or call me a liar. But you know what? All that aint gonna do me a bit of good...it's not gonna change my mind and I certainly wont go out and buy more Lee molds just because someone else thinks they are the best thing since bubble gum and the riding lawnmower. Nuff said...if some here really wants to know why I have grown to hate Lee molds just PM me and I'll tell you privately. Just know it doesn't matter how much you love them I am not gonna change my mind. And I'm certainly not gonna alow myself to get drawn into a Lee fanboy ****storm. I have long since grown past these kind of things.

Thank you!!!

Captain_Howdy
03-14-2014, 02:01 AM
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/DSC03513_zps5812a9af.jpg

dude...those are absolutely perfect!!! How do the hps work out?

detox
03-14-2014, 06:53 AM
The RCBS 158gr Cowboy mould is a verygood design and very easy to cast with. The Lyman 158 Cowboy is a verygood design, but a little harder to cast. The Saeco 158 Cowboy is a verygood design, but it is also a little harder to cast. IMO the RCBS moulds are easiest to use. I have a couple of Accurate moulds that are very tricky to use.

I also have the Lee 158 mould and it performs verywell after deburring and sanding sprueplate flat. I also remove wave washer and replace with shim washers.

Any RNFP bullet performs better in my 357 Magnum than SWC style bullets.

Captain_Howdy
03-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Great info thank you detox!

Leadforbrains
03-14-2014, 08:38 AM
From My Accurate Molds 3 cavity cast iron mold.

Leadforbrains
03-14-2014, 08:48 PM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-158V-D.png

williamwaco
03-14-2014, 08:51 PM
I like the looks of those other bullets just fine but I LOVE the lee bullet.

I can make 500 of them on a Saturday afternoon with one 2 cavity molds.

Ed_Shot
03-14-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm with williamwaco. It's easy to turn out a bunch with a 2-cav and it's super accurate in both rifle and pistol.

blikseme300
03-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Most of my molds are aluminum from various manufacturers and I like them all. I have a small collection of H&G molds as well and all of my molds cast well and create good boolits. The differences between iron, brass and aluminum are only in the casting method and the targets and game don't care from what metal molds the boolits came. Different folks, different strokes.

Captain_Howdy
03-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Most of my molds are aluminum from various manufacturers and I like them all. I have a small collection of H&G molds as well and all of my molds cast well and create good boolits. The differences between iron, brass and aluminum are only in the casting method and the targets and game don't care from what metal molds the boolits came. Different folks, different strokes.

And this is why I was asking for opinions about alternative molds...because people tend to jump into a thread and make comments like this because somehow the original question get disregarded and we get into a discussion about how great their aluminum mold was instead of opinions on an alternate to the original mold. Basically you are a fan of aluminum molds...so I am cool with that...but I didn't ask for opinions on aluminum molds or why maybe you think that 'I' should like mine or not...

I would like to thank those individuals that posted mold designs and wonderful pictures of you own cast products. It was very nice of you to answer my question instead of making comments on aluminum molds. You are the guys that make this site good.

As for the other guys...I have read various threads over the years where people come in and side step the original question and completely turn a thread into something else. I have had it happen to me on more than one occasion. I just wish you folks would not do that. If a person asks a question like I did...and says he doesn't like something...then why do you have to come in and post a remark about how you totally like the very thing the OP doesn't like? I mean really? Why? I don't care if you love the mold that I hate. I didn't ask you to tell me why I should change my mind...I could give a rip. I asked for an iron mold alternative to a product that has done nothing but piss me off. The next time I go fishing I am gonna throw that piece of garbage just as far into the lake as I can. I have never had as much trouble from any other mold as I have the Lee molds. That is a fact. If you love them then smile and go on. I would rather pay the extra money and get a product I can use and enjoy. Something I don't have to constantly tinker with to keep it working. Hey, I am an aircraft mechanic. I know a better product when I use it. I have 3 of the lee molds. There are already 2 that I will never use again and soon to be 3. Soon as I replace the third one I may never buy another. If you fanboys think I am a Lee hater you are wrong. And I don't really care. Maybe my 'method' is substandard to someone else and aluminum molds will never work for me...oh wait...don't care... Can I get good results with the aluminum mold? Yea...but its a constant pain in my butt. Especially having to constantly snug sprue plates and clean vent grooves and tap the handles back in place....and other **** I have to constantly do with them that I just don't have issues with my Lyman, RCBS, and Mihec molds...

Again...many thanks to the good guys that actually answered my questions. I am considering all of you submissions. I like the pic of the Lyman bullets especially the HPs. I am assuming the owner had a standard mold modded for that...but they look great.

jonp
03-15-2014, 08:43 AM
the intent of my thread was to ask for alternate suggestions not start a conversation of why I dislike my Lee mold's' and become a victim of the Lee fanboys. As I said I liked the basic bullet design...not so much the lube groove though.

For all the people that love their Lee molds...hey man I'm with that. If you guys are happy with yours that great. I have 3 of them and after getting into iron and brass molds I certainly will not buy another aluminum mold UNLESS I buy one as a cheap test bed for a bullet design I am unsure about whether I want to invest into a more expensive mold.

I could write down every single dislike and fault I have with each of my molds and someone will come along and tell me how to change it or call me a liar. But you know what? All that aint gonna do me a bit of good...it's not gonna change my mind and I certainly wont go out and buy more Lee molds just because someone else thinks they are the best thing since bubble gum and the riding lawnmower. Nuff said...if some here really wants to know why I have grown to hate Lee molds just PM me and I'll tell you privately. Just know it doesn't matter how much you love them I am not gonna change my mind. And I'm certainly not gonna alow myself to get drawn into a Lee fanboy ****storm. I have long since grown past these kind of things.

Thank you!!!

Not interested in a lee vs the world and diatribe on what's wrong with them but I am interested in what you dislike about the lube groove. Wrong place? Too shallow?

blikseme300
03-15-2014, 04:19 PM
And this is why I was asking for opinions about alternative molds...because people tend to jump into a thread and make comments like this because somehow the original question get disregarded and we get into a discussion about how great their aluminum mold was instead of opinions on an alternate to the original mold. Basically you are a fan of aluminum molds...so I am cool with that...but I didn't ask for opinions on aluminum molds or why maybe you think that 'I' should like mine or not...

I would like to thank those individuals that posted mold designs and wonderful pictures of you own cast products. It was very nice of you to answer my question instead of making comments on aluminum molds. You are the guys that make this site good.

As for the other guys...I have read various threads over the years where people come in and side step the original question and completely turn a thread into something else. I have had it happen to me on more than one occasion. I just wish you folks would not do that. If a person asks a question like I did...and says he doesn't like something...then why do you have to come in and post a remark about how you totally like the very thing the OP doesn't like? I mean really? Why? I don't care if you love the mold that I hate. I didn't ask you to tell me why I should change my mind...I could give a rip. I asked for an iron mold alternative to a product that has done nothing but piss me off. The next time I go fishing I am gonna throw that piece of garbage just as far into the lake as I can. I have never had as much trouble from any other mold as I have the Lee molds. That is a fact. If you love them then smile and go on. I would rather pay the extra money and get a product I can use and enjoy. Something I don't have to constantly tinker with to keep it working. Hey, I am an aircraft mechanic. I know a better product when I use it. I have 3 of the lee molds. There are already 2 that I will never use again and soon to be 3. Soon as I replace the third one I may never buy another. If you fanboys think I am a Lee hater you are wrong. And I don't really care. Maybe my 'method' is substandard to someone else and aluminum molds will never work for me...oh wait...don't care... Can I get good results with the aluminum mold? Yea...but its a constant pain in my butt. Especially having to constantly snug sprue plates and clean vent grooves and tap the handles back in place....and other **** I have to constantly do with them that I just don't have issues with my Lyman, RCBS, and Mihec molds...

Again...many thanks to the good guys that actually answered my questions. I am considering all of you submissions. I like the pic of the Lyman bullets especially the HPs. I am assuming the owner had a standard mold modded for that...but they look great.

The thread was not turned around. You will find that life gets tough as far as forums go if you only expect your question to be answered in every detail.

Many comments on threads are about other posts in the thread and have nothing to do with your specific question. Good flow of ideas are brought to light in this manner. If you don't like this then maybe this forum is not for you.

JRR
03-15-2014, 07:12 PM
I have had tremendous success with the Saeco 158gr SWC four hole mould. Very expensive unfortunately. Two others are from RCBS. 158gr SWC plain base as well as there gas checked version. Easy, no hassle, round and adequate diameter. On some RCBS moulds, the slots for the handle might be tight. A few passes over the belt sander on the handle prongs and all is good.

Captain_Howdy
03-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Not interested in a lee vs the world and diatribe on what's wrong with them but I am interested in what you dislike about the lube groove. Wrong place? Too shallow?

its too shallow for me. my problem is that I like a soft lube. the lack of depth in the groove makes it very easy for me to remove or displace my soft lube during the handling process. as far as the volume of the groove itself it is fine.

the bullet does shoot well that was why I had asked for a similar alternative. I have some old style Lyman handles that I absolutely love to cast with so I may give the Lyman mold a go. I have noticed that one of my Lyman molds is right on the verge of being undersized and I am aware this is not uncommon with the Lyman molds.

JWFilips
03-16-2014, 07:53 PM
If you are interested I have a MiHec 358156 HP flat base custom brass mould True "work of art" that I just bought. It has all the pins I only cast with it 2 times however the economy an my purse dictates I sell it since it is is the last big expense I have had. I'm willing to let it go for $100 plus shipping

gray wolf
03-16-2014, 09:16 PM
I hate when people dictate as to what i can say,
kinda limits me and my creative writing skills.
Maybe we should do questions with little check boxes next to them, then we just make a X for yes or no.
Lets vote on it ___NOT
Or, just skip the parts that others find entertaining and informative.
OR, put in the header that all answers must be pertinent to the exact question being asked.
I think everyone has something good to say, even if it's in just part of the post, that's why for ME I try to read it all and am thankful that someone at least took the time to read my question, so what if it's a little off topic.
Granted we drift a little, did i say a little ? So what, if I want a direct answer I read it in a book.

jmort
03-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Thread drift, deal with it.

Captain_Howdy
03-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Maybe we should do questions with little check boxes next to them, then we just make a X for yes or no.
Lets vote on it ___NOT
OR, put in the header that all answers must be pertinent to the exact question being asked.
I think everyone has something good to say, even if it's in just part of the post, that's why for ME I try to read it all and am thankful that someone at least took the time to read my question, so what if it's a little off topic.
Granted we drift a little, did i say a little ? So what, if I want a direct answer I read it in a book.

I just don't care for all the rambling from the Lee fanboys. Any time someone makes a negative comment about a Lee product it's like a tornado siren at the trailer park...all the doors pop open and they all come running. As for what you wanna say...go ahead I don't care. I just wish that the same people who are talking are able to read as well. Basically all I was saying was I could give a rip about how great you guys think Lee is...I think their products suck. If you need to insult me based on the fact that I think their products suck by all means do so. There again I don't care...

Captain_Howdy
03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
If you are interested I have a MiHec 358156 HP flat base custom brass mould True "work of art" that I just bought. It has all the pins I only cast with it 2 times however the economy an my purse dictates I sell it since it is is the last big expense I have had. I'm willing to let it go for $100 plus shipping

Interesting...I need to look at that design. I have 3 other Mihec molds...no wait 4...I have a 30 cal rifle mold to I was thinking of trading off...wanna trade? I cant remember the numbers right now the mold is in the shed...it is a 125 grain gas check with all pins. I only cast once with it. Got it for my 300 blk and I don't think its gonna work out for me...not for the speeds I wanted to drive it at with my barrel twist anyway.

If not gimme a day to think about it...can you take paypal?

rhead
03-17-2014, 06:09 AM
Lets vote on it ___NOT

"Do not confuse the issue with facts that don't validate my own opinions."
I am usually more concerned with how the boolit shoots. Everyone has their own standards.

Leadforbrains
03-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Even though I own some Brass and Aluminum molds I am partial to iron molds. That being said, Accurate molds can make whatever boolit design in a iron three cavity mold as well as brass and aluminum. Their iron three cavity molds are indeed works of art.

Duckdog
03-17-2014, 06:37 PM
I just don't care for all the rambling from the Lee fanboys. Any time someone makes a negative comment about a Lee product it's like a tornado siren at the trailer park...all the doors pop open and they all come running. As for what you wanna say...go ahead I don't care. I just wish that the same people who are talking are able to read as well. Basically all I was saying was I could give a rip about how great you guys think Lee is...I think their products suck. If you need to insult me based on the fact that I think their products suck by all means do so. There again I don't care...

Dude, this is just messed up.... No one insulted you nor did any one walk all over your original question. Ripping on other casters will get you a long way on this forum. Quite frankly, you made your opinion clear early on, but now it's just becoming rude.

Captain_Howdy
03-17-2014, 09:10 PM
disregard...

blikseme300
03-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Dude, this is just messed up.... No one insulted you nor did any one walk all over your original question. Ripping on other casters will get you a long way on this forum. Quite frankly, you made your opinion clear early on, but now it's just becoming rude.

Exactly right. How do I go ahead and block posts from a member that is no longer relevant to me?

jmort
03-17-2014, 09:59 PM
"...did that last week."

Best post of this week.

Jeff H
03-18-2014, 10:18 PM

Starting off with "can't stand the LEE mold" sort of came off as a dig. I thought maybe I was reading that into it and overlooked it. I gave you the benefit of the doubt regarding your intention and the way you worded it but it soon became clear that you intended to offend the "fan boys" in your original post. One should understand that to degrade a product others choose to use is offensive to them personally and there's really no point in lighting that fire if you can't take the heat.

Fanning the flames doesn't help. If you don't like a comment someone makes, ignore it. By the time you get riled, you can bet that at least some of the ensuing comments are made to rile you further and while you rant some more, they sit back and laugh. If you really don't care, remember that actions speak louder than words and "ignoring" implies action more in line with not caring than retaliation.

Topping it all off with "LEE fanboys" and "their products suck" are unquestionably intentionally malicious and offensive and really validates the idea that the little dig in your first post was actually meant to be malicious. As far as anyone here insulting you for insulting them, well, I'm not sure much needs to be said given the irony of the thought alone.

Rant all you want about it, but I'm just offering a glimpse at the perspective others have of what you have said regardless of how you meant it. I don't always like all the replies I get to my posts either, but I do at least try not to overtly invite abuse by starting out with intentionally disparaging something others like. Like I said, initially it could have been taken either way, but your later comments just proved you intended to offend from the start and set your own post up to be drug off course.

wildchild2010
03-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Just wow!

crabo
03-19-2014, 01:07 AM
I have added #36-158V to the catalog for you.

Thanks
Tom

Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:02 PM
To: tom@accuratemolds.com
Subject: Lee 158 RFN

Tom, have you ever done the Lee 158 grain RFN boolit with a flat base? I am thinking I would like to have one in a large 5 cavity aluminum mold.

Thanks,

Crabo

I haven't ordered it yet, but I plan to.

jmort
03-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Tom as always awesome

3leggedturtle
03-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Saeco also makes a 158gr RNFP. I have a 180gr RNFP version. It feeds and shoot great in my Puma 357. They cast a very uniform .359 out of both molds. Also had a 250gr FP 35 mold, they also cast a very consistent .360 diameter.