PDA

View Full Version : pesky definitions

Nobade
03-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Folks need to learn the difference between obturate and obdurate. I'm just sayin'....

-Nobade

codgerville@zianet.com
03-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Folks need to learn the difference between obturate and obdurate. I'm just sayin'....

-Nobade

I hear you.

JeffinNZ
03-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Some folk fit BOTH definitions.

Blammer
03-13-2014, 10:04 AM
sooo, what do they mean....

geargnasher
03-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Incorrigible bores? Or would that be "incorrigible boors"? Or plugged-up old obstinate codgers?

I wish more people had the faintest clue about where to use an apostrophe.

Gear

Larry Gibson
03-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Perhaps "gear obsession" will make another video expanding such?

Larry Gibson

geargnasher
03-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes Larry, it's an "obsession" to expect grown men to communicate on at least a fifth-grade level.

Gear

Larry Gibson
03-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Why gear, I do believe you are being overly sensitive. I did not mention you at all or your post. Perhaps your "obsession" is getting the better of you? Perhaps a classic example of "obdurateness"?

Larry Gibson

geargnasher
03-13-2014, 11:53 AM
See? Grammatical sloppiness and lack of contextual explanation leads to confusion. You don't often capitalize my handle when addressing me, so how am I to know if your vague reference in a post immediately following mine was addressing me or referencing Fred Hart?

Gear

Larry Gibson
03-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Well gear, You know what they say when you "assume".

The question, "Perhaps "gear obsession" will make another video expanding such, I made was simply stated with correct grammar. I was not referencing you or your input but referenced the original topic of the thread. Obviously your own "obdurateness" influenced your thought process to the contrary.

You might look at your own logon, it is not capitalized. That is where I, as do most members, take the name to address another member from. Sometimes it is shortened if a long logon is used for convenience. When addressing you many times in the past I have used "gear" most often. If "Gear" is your first name or your surname then my apologies for the non capitalization. Your "lack of contextual explanation" as to your preference in this matter "leads to confusion". If you had a problem with "gear" a PM, or even a mention in a post, that you would prefer it be capitalized, would have been sufficient.

Is that sufficient "contextual explanation"? I see no need to get insulting or rude here, do you?

Larry Gibson

BTW; are you related to Fred Hart or "gear obsession"?

Roosters
03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r600/threescrew3/GP_zps63e5eb41.jpg

geargnasher
03-13-2014, 01:08 PM
I have signed every single one of my posts "Gear" since I joined here in March of 2009. It is proper form to capitalize whatever form one uses to address another, whether it agrees with their birth certificate or not. I can't understand how you managed to graduate from a university without picking up on that tidbit.

Also, if you cared about MLA format, you should know that when referencing a video work one capitalizes the pertinent title words, and also italicizes them. An indirect reference, such as you made originally, deserves the same treatment so that your audience knows that you are referring to the title of a published work.

http://www.library.cornell.edu/resrch/citmanage/mla

This stuff exists for a reason. The written word is a primitive enough means of communication without ignoring basic writing guidelines that only add to confusion.

Gear

William Yanda
03-13-2014, 01:17 PM

-Nobade

I won't!!!!!!!!

Beagle333
03-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Folks need to learn the difference between obturate and obdurate.

I knew what obturate meant, but didn't know that obdurate was a word..... until now. :coffeecom

Col4570
03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Ye sum peple dunt no owta discrib a bullet.

JeffinNZ
03-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Keep it tidy 'gentlemen'.

Larry Gibson
03-13-2014, 06:44 PM
geargnasher

That is the logon you chose to use. That is where I got "gear" from to address you with. It is your own chosen logon name. If you wish to be addressed as "Gear" then all you had to do was say so. You did not capitalize your own logon so I did not capitalize the contraction "gear" either. It is really as simple as that. No offense or slight was meant. If "Gear" is your given name(?) then it should be capitalized. If it is a contraction of "geargnasher" as used by you, which it appeared to be, then "gear" as a contraction used by me was also correct. So is "Gear" your given name? Whether it is or not if you want to be addressed as "Gear" then that is fine with me.

BTW; your "MLA" reference applies to guidelines for research papers of which this forum and these posts could hardly considered such. The use of "gear obsession" by me in either previous post does not reference a video but a person by that logon name. The logon was not capitalized and was spelled exactly as the user spelled it, same as with your own logon. Had the logon been the first word of a sentence it would have then been capitalized for the obvious reason. Ergo your correction of "when referencing a video work one capitalizes the pertinent title words, and also italicizes them" is incorrect because I referenced the person, not the video. Politeness in using another's logon as that user spells it or a common contraction derived from that spelling is common courtesy on the internet is quite correct.

I do have to agree though that if one were writing a research paper then you are indeed correct (if one wants to follow "MLA" guidelines) but then this "ain't" no research paper is it. So Gear, while I certainly appreciate the excellent example of "obdurateness", if you come back with a response do get the facts straight please.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
03-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Keep it tidy 'gentlemen'.

Not sure why Gear has a burr under his saddle on this one. I did not mention him in my 1st post and was not referencing him either. I used a logon of an entirely different person, I thought(?). There are a couple others on this forum that use "Larry" and I don't get a wedgie when that name is used. Don't understand why Gear gets in an uproar when "gear" is used, especially when it isn't even him I was referring to?

Larry Gibson

OBIII
03-13-2014, 07:19 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/popcorn.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Just lurking.

OB

btroj
03-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Certainly couldn't be because of numerous contentious disagreements on this site, could it?

As for improper use of terms it is annoying. After all, it is important to know how well your bullet head or pill obturates under pressure in the boar. Them again, sometimes it refuses to obturate because it is being obdurate.......

swheeler
03-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Certainly couldn't be because of numerous contentious disagreements on this site, could it?

As for improper use of terms it is annoying. After all, it is important to know how well your bullet head or pill obturates under pressure in the boar. Them again, sometimes it refuses to obturate because it is being obdurate.......

Now brad:) that was UNCALLED FOR! Was that pill out of a remmy maggy with a loopy scope?;)

geargnasher
03-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Nothing personal, Larry, and no burrs, just proving a point only indirectly related to the discussion.

Please refer to me as "Gear" with a capital "G", and my apologies for somehow failing to make that glaringly obvious to you in the past five years and 13,000+ posts.

Now, at last, please let me introduce you to a fellow who goes by the handle of JCWIT, and a select few others.

Goodbye.

Gear

swheeler
03-13-2014, 08:29 PM
OMG back in the 8th grade :0 time to grow a pair or at least hope they drop! Cheeeeeeeessssssssseeeeeeeee I'm done

MtGun44
03-13-2014, 08:49 PM
"This stuff exists for a reason. The written word is a primitive enough means of communication
without ignoring basic writing guidelines that only add to confusion."

Well said. I have pointed this out on several occasions, and I do believe that I recently pointed out
the Malapropism in a thread, which is now the original topic of discussion on this thread.

+1 on 5th grade, too. This is not rocket science.

Bill

geargnasher
03-13-2014, 09:24 PM
OMG back in the 8th grade :0 time to grow a pair or at least hope they drop! Cheeeeeeeessssssssseeeeeeeee I'm done

Dang, I knew I forgot one, thanks for reminding me.

Gear

JeffinNZ
03-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Are you two playing nicely? Don't make me stop this car!

pdawg_shooter
03-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Well gear, You know what they say when you "assume".

The question, "Perhaps "gear obsession" will make another video expanding such, I made was simply stated with correct grammar. I was not referencing you or your input but referenced the original topic of the thread. Obviously your own "obdurateness" influenced your thought process to the contrary.

You might look at your own logon, it is not capitalized. That is where I, as do most members, take the name to address another member from. Sometimes it is shortened if a long logon is used for convenience. When addressing you many times in the past I have used "gear" most often. If "Gear" is your first name or your surname then my apologies for the non capitalization. Your "lack of contextual explanation" as to your preference in this matter "leads to confusion". If you had a problem with "gear" a PM, or even a mention in a post, that you would prefer it be capitalized, would have been sufficient.

Is that sufficient "contextual explanation"? I see no need to get insulting or rude here, do you?

Larry Gibson

BTW; are you related to Fred Hart or "gear obsession"?

Can you folks speak plain English the ol country boy can understand?

Larry Gibson
03-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Are we still "playing"? Thought it was obvious Gear and I hashed it out. Done as far as I'm concerned. Will leave it for the rest to "obdurate".........

Larry Gibson

Roosters
03-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Things must be going pretty good in lives that this is all you can poke each other about. Most came here to learn about casting and could care less about where a capital letter or comma belongs. I have a lot of respect for you both now get out of the sandbox and lets hear about casting. 8-)

searcher4851
03-14-2014, 09:58 AM
You fellers crack me up.

dilly
03-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Okay I can't resist. The difference between calling him "Gear" or "gear" is a "capital" offense.

Hahaha.

Larry Gibson
03-14-2014, 01:02 PM
So do I get hung for referring to you as "dilly" since that's the way you spelled your logon?

Or do you want to be referred to as "Hahaha" since you signed off that way and capitalized it?

Larry Gibson

:kidding:

dilly
03-14-2014, 03:24 PM
So do I get hung for referring to you as "dilly" since that's the way you spelled your logon?

Or do you want to be referred to as "Hahaha" since you signed off that way and capitalized it?

Larry Gibson

:kidding:

Call me whatever you want so long as you continue sharing your exceptional (even for this board) reloading expertise.

By the way Gear, what I said was just a joke. I meant no offense to either party by it.

Harter66
03-14-2014, 04:00 PM
There,their,they're..........:kidding:

Reid,Reed,reed,read.
Mould , mold.

Can I shoot my 357-125 in my 9mm ?

I can't say I've heard any of this ever before.:kidding:

OBIII
03-14-2014, 11:47 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/popcorn.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

It just don't get no better than this. :p

OB

a.squibload
03-15-2014, 03:36 AM
...I wish more people had the faintest clue about where to use an apostrophe.

Gear

It's not the apostrophes' fault.
They're their own worst enemies.

JSnover
03-15-2014, 09:24 AM
The World Wide Web... Short-cutting the learning process since 1989:sad:

TXGunNut
03-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I learned something today, isn't the internet wonderful? One's a verb, the other's an adjective.

slim1836
03-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Go easy on me in the future please, I flunked English.
I communicate by the KISS method.

Slim (with a capital):killingpc