PDA

View Full Version : Lee Keith molds

Hickok
03-12-2014, 07:19 PM
It would be great if Lee made original type Keith boolit molds in various calibers. Lee makes good affordable molds, just would like to see some dedicated Keith molds. Just thinking......

jmort
03-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Is the authentic Keith boolit that dissimilar/better than the SWCs molds that Lee sells?

oscarflytyer
03-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes it would be, and yes they are diff.

I HAD to have a Keith for my 44 SPC - so got the MiHec mold. Love it. Shooting the Lee 45 Colt SWC. WISH it was more like the Keith. If they made it, I would buy it.

DrCaveman
03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Thats what the group buys, preferably generated and populated by members of this forum, are for

Theyll make a mold to (i think) any spec you want, they just need $100 or so to set it up, with cost of mold on top of that

When you get 10-20 buyers involved, it becomes a pretty good deal...assuming you are ok with aluminum molds, in either 2 or 6 cavity variety.

I havent participated in any of these group buys, but i know that others here have. Feedback about consistency/QC would be good for this thread

Catshooter
03-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Richard Lee has never even heard of Elmer Keith.

He has done a whole lot of good for the reloading industry and is quite the engineer, but boolit casting in general isn't his strong suit.

Cat

StrawHat
03-13-2014, 07:04 AM
There have been many Group Buys from Lee for Keith style boolits. I have two in 45 caliber and one in 32 caliber.

Perhaps a listing in the want to buy area would get you one (not mine). Or consider running your own GB.

Hickok
03-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Yes it would be, and yes they are diff.

I HAD to have a Keith for my 44 SPC - so got the MiHec mold. Love it. Shooting the Lee 45 Colt SWC. WISH it was more like the Keith. If they made it, I would buy it.Oscar my feelings exactly. I own alot of Lee molds and really appreciate what Lee has done for boolit casters. I think it would be safe to say if Lee made dedicated copies of Keiths designs they would sell great, and yes I would buy them too.

It would just be a great option to have some true Keith boolits in the Lee inventory.

GLynn41
03-13-2014, 09:49 AM
I agree --Lee got me into cast with melters and molds -- I also wish that they would update the .41 molds as they are OOOLD-- and I have asked but nothing oh well still good guys for casters--

jmort
03-13-2014, 10:08 AM
If you want a Keith Boolit mold, get one from LBT. Stock item.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-13-2014, 10:29 AM
If I were wanting Lee to cut a new boolit design, I'd tell Lee instead of posting about it here. I have heard they have the Ranch Dog design's and may work them into there line up...but they seem to busy to get to that...and I'll bet they make the TL grooves small like "their" TL designs instead of the Large TL grooves that RD designed...that's just my guess.

leadman
03-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Richard Lee retired and Andy is now taken over that part of the operation. He is starting to change some of the designs or add new ones, like the 380 Ranch Dog design. The 30 cal.5R 230gr is now a standard item.
I had a problem with the 150gr 38 cal. round nose and spoke with Andy about it and suggested changing the main body to the same style as the 158gr round flat nose as it releases the boolits much better from the mold vs. the small lube grooves as produced now. He said he is going to do this when they have to have a new cutter made.
Andy can be reached at 262-673-3075.