PDA

View Full Version : Turned my LEE Pro 4 20 into a Magnum

sidecarmike
03-12-2014, 04:55 PM
I have a very nice Lee Pro 4 20 lead melter. Either old back problems or just advancing age has made it difficult to bend down to see the lead pour into the mold. The last time I used it I had the pot elevated nearly 18 " off the workbench but that makes it hard to monitor lead levels.

Recently a friend gave me a bunch of lead, a mold, and a hand full of tools. Two ladles were in the pile. One small one that worked fine today dipping from the pot, and a larger one that was too big for my furnace as designed.

I considered buying a new Magnum. Basically the same press without the spout in the bottom. $51 and shipping.

My first thought was I could sell my melter for close to that. Another option was to buy the part. A magnum pot, from LEE for $17 plus shipping.

Of course, LEE told me it is quite involved but offered to take my pot "in trade" for a half price discount.
I decided to see just how hard it would be to replace the pot.

Ten minutes, a single 7/16 fine threaded bolt and a couple washers later, I have a new Magnum.
The only reason for using a fine threaded bolt was it best fit the hole and was threaded all the way to the flats.

The nipple in the bottom is just a sleeve with a lip. It lifts right out. I would not have needed to remove the pot, but wanted to put a couple washers between the two layers of tin.

The hardest part of the whole job was finding a fine threaded nut in my shop. :lol:

Now the large ladle fits just fine.

badbob454
03-12-2014, 05:20 PM
nice job

dikman
03-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Good job (and a nice friend!). That small ladle looks like a Lyman, nice one.