PDA

View Full Version : Smelting pot cast iron or ssteel?

fastfire
03-12-2014, 01:26 PM
I have a HF cast iron pot. When I clean up the sawdust ash (I scrape the **** out of the cast iron pot)then start dipping I get more ash coming to the top. I'm thinking with the ruff surface of the cast iron it is impossible to scrape and remove all the ash and what not.
SO, will a ss pot end this problem?

Thank You

jmort
03-12-2014, 01:36 PM
If you change pots, consider cut propane tank from DCrockett

AlaskanGuy
03-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Stainless will fix this, but I still use the cast pot... I have no trouble with the bit of ash you get... If you do switch to SS, might offer up the old one here... Lots of folks could use a good cast iron dutch oven.... I wouldn't mind having an extra with a lid either....

AG

Trinidad Bill
03-12-2014, 03:21 PM
If you change pots, consider cut propane tank from DCrockett

This ^^^^^^

I just received mine from DCrockett... just what I needed for melting and... I got some ingot moulds also!

fastfire
03-12-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm picking up an old propane tank tomorrow. I will take the valve off ,ventilate the top half with the .223, take the valve off ventilate it for a while. When ready to cut the bottom off I'll hook up a hose from the exhaust pipe on the PU run it for a bit and cut away.
Thanks for the suggestions and will keep my eyes open for a ss pot.

Shiloh
03-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Steel would be preferable to me. My smelter budy has done to many hundreds of pounds to count in a cast dutch oven.

Shiloh

fastfire
03-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Shiloh, I'm just looking to get a cleaner smelted ingot.

lwknight
03-12-2014, 10:46 PM
You are always going to have some carbon or what not come up from the bottom when you scrape it no matter what you smelt in. Its just stuff on the surface of what you melt getting trapped on bottom till you lift it up enough to release it to float up.

fastfire
03-13-2014, 12:37 AM
You are always going to have some carbon or what not come up from the bottom when you scrape it no matter what you smelt in. Its just stuff on the surface of what you melt getting trapped on bottom till you lift it up enough to release it to float up.

Well ok then, I'll give the propane tank a go anyhow I'll be able to make bigger batches.