PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Gun Database

waksupi
03-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Buying a gun from an unknown private party?

http://www.hotgunz.com/

This may be a good one to sticky.

Thin Man
03-12-2014, 07:30 PM
As with any database, the only way a stolen firearm would be found on that site would be if the owner knows about the site and he, or someone on his behalf, enters the pedigree data on the firearm. It is the same story with the NCIC, if the data isn't entered (or is entered incorrectly) the firearm can't be identified as having been stolen. For a case in point, my home was broken into many years ago and a rifle was stolen. There was so much disruption of the home we were unable to locate our inventory list so we could deliver all the details about the rifle to the police. Many years later, perhaps 10-12 years, I found a letter I had written to another person asking information about this rifle (before it disappeared). In that letter I found the serial number I needed, got it to the police, they entered the rifle in NCIC, but it hasn't come home yet. Sure, it helps to have multiple sources and websites to check data on a prospective purchase. It also helps when data is entered in these databases.

Thin Man

2wheelDuke
03-13-2014, 01:45 AM
I agree, the devil is in the details there. If everything in FCIC/NCIC was in there, it'd be a great start. I've taken far too many stolen gun reports, and like anything else that gets stolen, people don't have serial numbers far too often.