PDA

View Full Version : RCBS ingot mold

nextone2
03-12-2014, 08:19 AM
I have a very old Lyman ingot mold that I have used for the last 40 years. I would say that its broken in. Ingots just drop out of it. I bought 2 new ingot molds and now I have a problem. The new Lyman ingot mold is aluminum and it drops the ingots right out. The RCBS is a beast. The first one I had, would stick real bad and I ended up breaking it while trying to get the ingots out. I returned it to RCBS and they were nice enough to replace it with a new mold. The new one is no better. On both of them the surface seems rough and may be the cause of them sticking. I am sure I am not the only one with this problem. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

captaint
03-12-2014, 09:00 AM
nextone2 - Let that baby rust up a bit. I have an old RCBS ingot mold that has, for years, had some rust on the surface. Not pitting or anything, just a rusty coating. The ingots never stick, even a little. They dump right out. Mike

William Yanda
03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a candidate for mold release (if you have it) or some graphite aerosol from the auto parts store if you don't want to wait for rust.

MrWolf
03-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I left the corn bread molds out to rust but forgot my rcbs's.

bangerjim
03-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Yes.......rust......and release agent.........either graphite or mica powder.

bangerjim

Le Loup Solitaire
03-12-2014, 08:56 PM
I've got a couple of RCBS ingot molds and had some sticking with one of them...until I took a Dremel tool with a fine grinding wheel and lightly polished the insides of the four cavities and knocked out some of the roughness. It worked and solved the problem. It takes a little patience and a few minutes. You can also make it even better by some work with some 220 or 320 grit black sandpaper. LLS

Zymurgy50
03-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Let it get just a bit rusty, then heat it up and give it a good coating of beeswax.

alfloyd
03-13-2014, 07:53 AM
The RCBS ingot molds I had were a larger size ingot than the Lyman.
When I went to stacking them up for storage they made the stacks uneven.
They also did not drop out of the mold as well as the Lyman.
I also have 2 Seaco ingot molds the stick in the mold.
I sold both of them and replaced them with Lyman.

Lafaun

jonp
03-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Spray mine with Ballitstol. Keeps it from rusting and no stick

Teddy (punchie)
03-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Maybe try to season the steel or cast . Like an old cast iron skillet.

detox
03-13-2014, 01:34 PM
I wish i had purchased the aluminum Lyman moulds insted. I have the same problem with ingots sticking to the RCBS lettering inside of mould. Grinding off letters will help ingots release better.

I set hot moulds on wet towel for faster cooling before dumping ingots.

bangerjim
03-13-2014, 04:18 PM
I wish i had purchased the aluminum Lyman moulds insted. I have the same problem with ingots sticking to the RCBS lettering inside of mould. Grinding off letters will help ingots release better.

I set hot moulds on wet towel for faster cooling before dumping ingots.

I have several LEE and LYMAN aluminum ones.......no sticking.

I also have a couple RCBS CI ones. Once seasoned with a bit of oxidation/rust, they drop just fine! It all in the seasoning of the CI.

banger