PDA

View Full Version : Hot glue boolits

shooterbob
03-12-2014, 02:01 AM
Anyone ever seen this done? Uses just a primer for indoor shooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ANy39pHrDA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

94Doug
03-12-2014, 02:39 AM
Do a search. Plenty of info here on the site on this.

Doug

txnative1951
03-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Some people also use wax bullets.

sdcitizen
03-12-2014, 09:32 AM
I use those in a 1911, a mag rifle primer is almost too loud indoors without hearing protection, pistol primers are noticeably lower velocity. I put the in old steel cases, seem to work well. I also sprayed all the gluelits with dry graphite spray, they have made many trips down the barrel and are no worse for the wear. I also just seat them like a normal round to feed out of the magazine, works ok.

dudel
03-12-2014, 01:33 PM
I use the rubber BullX. Got mine from Midway. They come in a variety of calibers. Open up the flash hole a bit, stuff in a rubber bullet by hand (flush with the case mouth), then load with a regular pistol primmer. Surprisingly accurate.

Also use .22 caliber pellets with a primer on .22 Hornet. Quiet, accurate in my Handi, and pack a surprising punch.

txnative1951
03-12-2014, 02:02 PM
I've wondered before whether it might be possible to use wooden bullets cut from wooden dowels. Looking on Lowe's site right now, I see 3/8" diameter dowels that are 48" long for $0.98. If you figure 1/2" long for the bullets, that means that you can get 96 bullets out of that 48" dowel. This would work out to be the equivalent of $10.21 per 1000 bullets. Now, if you casting lead and you assume $1 per pound for the lead and 125gr per bullet, it costs $17.86 per 1000 bullets.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?17577-Casting-hot-glue-boolits

DrBill33
03-12-2014, 02:13 PM
I have been utilizing wax (and paraffin) bullets since the mid 1950's. Excellent for basement (with ventilation) winter shooting. This house has a bad basement, so my heated garage suffices.

bangerjim
03-12-2014, 05:30 PM
TONS of threads on here......please........do a search!!!!!!!!!!!

I do it all the time......without drilling out and ruining good brass. Use 1gn fast powder and some dacron wadding to really get them moving!

banger

txnative1951
03-12-2014, 06:07 PM
I do it all the time......without drilling out and ruining good brass. Use 1gn fast powder and some dacron wadding to really get them moving!

Have you tried chrono-ing them? It might be interesting to see what they would do with a full load of powder. From what I've been able to gather, the glue sticks are pretty close to the density of water. According to one source that I saw, they were less than 0.95 g/cm^3. Lead is 10.66 g/cm^3 at room temperature (and 11.34 g/cm^3 at its melting point). So, assuming the 10.66 figure for lead and 1.0 g/cm^3 for glue bullets, a 230 gr bullet would end up weighing around 21.576 gr. So, if you go with the Alliant load data for Unique (5.1 g, 230 g LRN), you get 849 fps. In an ideal world, momentum is conserved, so *theoretically*, the 21.576 gr bullet would go 9060.34 fps.

Yeah... I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for *that* to happen. But it would be interesting to see what velocity it did achieve though. Assuming that it didn't just vaporize the glue bullet and all you had coming out the end of the barrel was glue glue dust. I know that if you try adding a couple of grains of powder to a wax bullet load, you just get wax powder coming out the barrel.

bangerjim
03-12-2014, 07:44 PM
I shoot into a box with a big thick phone book in it, two old towels folded in front of that and 5 layers replaceable cardboard on the front!

My HMG's normally make it into several layers of that towel stuff and many end up in the phone book. I recover them and they are not melted on the back with 1gn of FAST powder. Some I can use several times.

I would be interested in your results with a full load! I may load some 45LC's with some TightGroup at 4-5gn and see what happens with the HMG's at the range. A 30 cal lead ball in the nose will add some weight and frontal stability.

Wax would just be a mess. I make my own brew of special stabile ballistic shooting wax, but prefer molded HMG as they look & load just like their lead buddies.

banger

rhead
03-13-2014, 06:25 AM
Has anyone ever tried a hot glue boolit in a 58 cal round ball in a paint ball gun? Full auto at about 800 fps. I would want a way to recover the projectiles.

shooterbob
03-16-2014, 04:35 PM
TONS of threads on here......please........do a search!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

I can't get the search function to ever come up with anything. I've used the advance search feature and never get anything.

bangerjim
03-16-2014, 05:09 PM
I can't get the search function to ever come up with anything. I've used the advance search feature and never get anything.

Advanced search............5 seconds time:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201103-Shooting-quot-HOT-quot-glue-booits&highlight=hot+melt+glue

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?14522-Casting-hot-glue-boolits&highlight=hot+melt+glue

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?220920-40-S-amp-W-Practice-shooting-in-your-garage&highlight=hot+melt+glue

Jus gotta hold yer mouth right!

Have fun.

banger